PDA

View Full Version : Two DT's I know I wouldnt mind having here...

DraftBoy
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Antonio Johnson DT Miss State 6'3, 305
Strengths: Is strong at the point of attack. Shows great instincts. Shows the power to run through smaller blockers. Flashes good lateral agility and quickness to shoot the gaps. Locates the ball quickly, and is a good tackler. Shows the agility to shed blocks and fall back on running plays.

Weaknesses: Gives an inconsistent effort. Shows limited range and speed. Lacks ideal agility for his size. Is a raw technician. Must improve pass-rush arsenal. Must play with more intensity.

Bottom line: Johnson has a lot of potential as a gap-charging run stuffer. He has the pure talent to be a fourth-round pick, but he must play with more intensity to become an NFL starter.
Projected: 4th Round

Deljuan Robinson DT Miss State 6'1, 280
Strengths: Is a good athlete. Is quick. Shows good range, and makes plays in the backfield. Uses hands well to shed blockers, and shows some natural pass-rush skills. Shows good technique. Locates the ball quickly. Blows up a lot of plays in the backfield. Never stops hustling. Runs well, and changes direction quickly. Makes plays outside the tackles, too.

Weaknesses: Lacks power and strength. Struggles against bigger linemen, and gets pushed around by double-teams. Lacks the explosion and power to play strong at the point of attack. Only had one sack as a senior. Is underweight; has a long and lean body.

Bottom line: Robinson lacks the size/strength to hold up as a two-gap defensive tackle, but he has the athleticism, instincts and competitiveness to be productive in a one-gap, penetrator in an aggressive scheme.
Projected: 6th Round

All Credit to War Room on the Scouting Report, not my own analysis, though I do agree with it.

TigerJ
02-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Antonio Johnson in particular is a mid round guy I would think the Bills would have an interest in. He sounds like he has a lot of upside.

OpIv37
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
280 lbs? Hit the gym and come back at 295, then maybe we'll talk.

DraftBoy
02-03-2007, 01:35 PM
280 lbs? Hit the gym and come back at 295, then maybe we'll talk.

Thats obvious but I cant see it being an issue, at 6'1, 15 pounds should not be a huge deal.

Night Train
02-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Johnson had a great Senior Bowl week.

Showed speed and great technique in defeating blockers. Gets a quick jump on the snap. A true 1 gap DT.

ZacGriffi~82
02-04-2007, 12:09 AM
One DT that i think would really fit our needs is Kareem Brown. He could be had in the third too.

<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="right">Height: 6-5 | Weight: 315 | 40-Time: 5.10 </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top"> http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/dt/kareembrown.jpg
Official Bio (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brown_kareem00.html)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/images/stars/three.gif </td> <td valign="top"> Strengths:
Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Good strength...Stout and can hold his ground at the point...Athletic and quick with a burst...Is able to penetrate and collapse the pocket...Playmaker who shows glimpses of greatness...Effective against both the pass and run...Had a great final campaign...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not play with great leverage...Has a ways to go in terms of technique...Has an inconsistent motor...Instincts and awareness are question marks...Has trouble disengaging from blocks...Doesn't have a lot of starting experience...His pass rush repertoire is limited...An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his ability.

Notes:
Was used in a rotation for most of his career but really came on as a senior when he was given an expanded role...Intriguing prospect who has not yet reached his full potential but has everything you look for physically...Boom or bust type who is still improving and was pretty productive whenever he was given an opportunity.</td></tr></tbody></table>-www.nfldraftcountdown.com

X-Era
02-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Antonio Johnson DT Miss State 6'3, 305
Strengths: Is strong at the point of attack. Shows great instincts. Shows the power to run through smaller blockers. Flashes good lateral agility and quickness to shoot the gaps. Locates the ball quickly, and is a good tackler. Shows the agility to shed blocks and fall back on running plays.

Weaknesses: Gives an inconsistent effort. Shows limited range and speed. Lacks ideal agility for his size. Is a raw technician. Must improve pass-rush arsenal. Must play with more intensity.

Bottom line: Johnson has a lot of potential as a gap-charging run stuffer. He has the pure talent to be a fourth-round pick, but he must play with more intensity to become an NFL starter.
Projected: 4th Round

Deljuan Robinson DT Miss State 6'1, 280
Strengths: Is a good athlete. Is quick. Shows good range, and makes plays in the backfield. Uses hands well to shed blockers, and shows some natural pass-rush skills. Shows good technique. Locates the ball quickly. Blows up a lot of plays in the backfield. Never stops hustling. Runs well, and changes direction quickly. Makes plays outside the tackles, too.

Weaknesses: Lacks power and strength. Struggles against bigger linemen, and gets pushed around by double-teams. Lacks the explosion and power to play strong at the point of attack. Only had one sack as a senior. Is underweight; has a long and lean body.

Bottom line: Robinson lacks the size/strength to hold up as a two-gap defensive tackle, but he has the athleticism, instincts and competitiveness to be productive in a one-gap, penetrator in an aggressive scheme.
Projected: 6th Round

All Credit to War Room on the Scouting Report, not my own analysis, though I do agree with it.

Im a fan of:

Tank Tyler
Brandon Mebane
Antonio Johnson

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2007, 04:26 AM
The problem with both Johnson and Brown is their inconsistent effort. I don't think that the Bills are looking for guys who will take plays off, won't go all out all of the time and might not hustle. Both Johnson and Brown have the physical ability to have been dominant in college and be very good in the NFL, but they didn't dominate because of their inconsistent effort. That's why different draft/scouting sites have listed them both a "boom-or-bust" prospects.

Robinson from Miss St. is an interesting late round prospect, even though he is way too light right now. Sly Croom is a good coach whose defenses always play tough and Miss St. has turned out some pretty decent DL over the years. What caught my eye, seeing Robinson's bio next to Johnson's, were a couple of things: Robinson is described as being a quick guy, with range outside the tackles, who never stops hustling, while Johnson is described as lacking agility and range and being a guy who gives an inconsistent effort. A guy can get easily add weight and strength, but quickness, range and hustle are not really things that you can teach. Robinson might not be able to step in and start (or even play much) right away as he bulks up and adjusts to the size of the opposition in the NFL, but, in the long run, he sounds like he would be the better guy to have.

I know that Johnson had a pretty good week at the Senior Bowl and perhaps that, in a funny way, proves the knock on him being inconsistent. You would expect him to be psyched up for that week and to give his best effort for the scouts. And, when he did, he showed really well. But, why wasn't he doing the same thing against the lesser players that he faced every week during the season? He may be physically ready to step in and play in the NFL in a way that Robinson is not, but will he? Do the Bills want to take a chance that he won't when they really need to make every draft pick count?

DraftBoy
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
The problem with both Johnson and Brown is their inconsistent effort. I don't think that the Bills are looking for guys who will take plays off, won't go all out all of the time and might not hustle. Both Johnson and Brown have the physical ability to have been dominant in college and be very good in the NFL, but they didn't dominate because of their inconsistent effort. That's why different draft/scouting sites have listed them both a "boom-or-bust" prospects.

Robinson from Miss St. is an interesting late round prospect, even though he is way too light right now. Sly Croom is a good coach whose defenses always play tough and Miss St. has turned out some pretty decent DL over the years. What caught my eye, seeing Robinson's bio next to Johnson's, were a couple of things: Robinson is described as being a quick guy, with range outside the tackles, who never stops hustling, while Johnson is described as lacking agility and range and being a guy who gives an inconsistent effort. A guy can get easily add weight and strength, but quickness, range and hustle are not really things that you can teach. Robinson might not be able to step in and start (or even play much) right away as he bulks up and adjusts to the size of the opposition in the NFL, but, in the long run, he sounds like he would be the better guy to have.

I know that Johnson had a pretty good week at the Senior Bowl and perhaps that, in a funny way, proves the knock on him being inconsistent. You would expect him to be psyched up for that week and to give his best effort for the scouts. And, when he did, he showed really well. But, why wasn't he doing the same thing against the lesser players that he faced every week during the season? He may be physically ready to step in and play in the NFL in a way that Robinson is not, but will he? Do the Bills want to take a chance that he won't when they really need to make every draft pick count?

I agree with your post, Johnson could be a dominant tackle if he gave the right amount of effort. Robinson however does intrigue me, he needs 15 pounds on him, but his quickness and strength, and ability to shed blockers seem to make him ideal for this system. I would not be opposed to taking him in the 4th or the 6th.