PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother NFL at it again

ICE74129
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
There was a news story here locally showing how a church wants to have a get together and show the superbowl. Somehow the NFL got wind of it and told them they would fine them if they did.

Per the NFL you can't have a group setting (outside of home) and show it on a screen larger than 55' I believe.

More and more I am getting sick of the NFL and is greed.

SABURZFAN
02-04-2007, 08:38 AM
the No Fun League strikes again!!!!!!!!! :down:

ICE74129
02-04-2007, 08:40 AM
the No Fun League strikes again!!!!!!!!! :down:

I know bud its flat stupid. Our church is going to do the same thing and You don't scare pastor Bill off that easy :bandwagon

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2007, 08:48 AM
ICE, you heard something strange. The NFL has no legal standing to fine anybody that is not associated with them.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-04-2007, 08:51 AM
They should just do it anyway.

MikeInRoch
02-04-2007, 08:57 AM
This story was on Mike and Mike this week, and it was exactly as ICE stated it. I'm not sure what legal standing the NFL has here, but it seems like they do have something.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Or Mike and Mike have it wrong.

honey
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Here's a link:

NFL won't let church show game

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The NFL has nixed a church's plans to use a wall projector to show the Colts-Bears Super Bowl game, saying it would violate copyright laws.
NFL officials spotted a promotion of Fall Creek Baptist Church's "Super Bowl Bash" on the church Web site last week and overnighted a letter to the pastor demanding the party be canceled, the church said.
Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.church.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

mybills
02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
who the F do they think they are? :dizzy:
Like a group here & there are gonna make such a big difference in the ratings.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2007, 09:09 AM
They should go ahead with the plan.

It is one thing to sue over a copyright issue, quite another to sue over how large the TV is. The NFL could not show any damages or loss of income.

Michael82
02-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Here's a link:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The NFL has nixed a church's plans to use a wall projector to show the Colts-Bears Super Bowl game, saying it would violate copyright laws.
NFL officials spotted a promotion of Fall Creek Baptist Church's "Super Bowl Bash" on the church Web site last week and overnighted a letter to the pastor demanding the party be canceled, the church said.
Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.church.ap/index.html?cnn=yes
:cynic:

This NFL is getting too greedy and too ****ing big for their own good. It's only a matter of time until they go to Pay Per View for the Super Bowl. :ill: :puke:

HHURRICANE
02-04-2007, 09:52 AM
They should do it anyway. I'd like to see the NFL fine them and receive all the bad PR that goes along with it.

I'm all for making money. But there comes a point where you have to wonder how much is enough. Big Companies are ruining the US economy. The NFL is a prime example of why.

YardRat
02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend

I'd have a problem with that if I were the NFL also. Having a big party is one thing, trying to capitalize off of someone else's copyrighted material is another.

cordog
02-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I'd have a problem with that if I were the NFL also. Having a big party is one thing, trying to capitalize off of someone else's copyrighted material is another.

Yeah I'm actually with the league on this one. The church can't charge a fee at the door for the game. Now if it were free to attend and they sold food or whatever, that would be a different story.

Michael82
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
but it's okay for bars to do that? :scratch:

If you go to sports bars or regular bars/restaurants that are near the site of the Super Bowl, they all charge admission to go inside and sit in their seat and watch the Super Bowl. Last year when I went to Detroit for the weekend to help my buddy at the NFL Experience, we noticed that all the bars right around the corner from the stadium were charging like $50 a pop if you wanted to come in and watch the game with the other fans. And it happens each year for the Super bowl. :ill:

One of my buddies was in Miami during one of the super Bowls and wanted to watch the game with other fans, so he went to a bar. They charged him $50 for the first half and then asked him at halftime if he planned to stay and if so it would be another $50...he paid it. They put it on his tab. :cynic:

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
If bars do it and publicize, they will get busted too Mikey. Nobody said it was OK for bars to do it. Don't put words in people's mouths.

And if you think the NFL would ever put the SUper Bowl on PPV, you are nuts.

ParanoidAndroid
02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Bars are allowed to charge a cover fee. As long as they don't say that it is specifically an admission fee to watch the Superbowl, they can charge whatever they want at the door.
All the church has to do is change it to a bake sale and just happen to have it during the superbowl.
As it was said in another post, their only re-course seems to be an objection to the screen size. I would like to see how that plays out in court.
The NFL has nothing.

ICE74129
02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's a link:

And BTW they got ahold of one of our local churches here in Tulsa and told them they would fine them for doing so as well.

ICE74129
02-04-2007, 02:15 PM
BTW the churches here are going to go ahead and do it.

ricogarion
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey NFL get your greedy hands out of my pockets. You have all you want or need so lay off my little pleasures will ya!

Jeff1220
02-04-2007, 04:14 PM
The fee the church was going to charge was to cover the cost of the snacks. It's not like they were going to pull in a profit. They just wanted to provide a family friendly atmosphere for people to gather for the game. The NFL screwed up big on this. I'm surprised the negative publicity hasn't been more widespread.

Typ0
02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
The fee the church was going to charge was to cover the cost of the snacks. It's not like they were going to pull in a profit. They just wanted to provide a family friendly atmosphere for people to gather for the game. The NFL screwed up big on this. I'm surprised the negative publicity hasn't been more widespread.

like hell the church isn't trying to make a profit.

Typ0
02-04-2007, 04:22 PM
but it's okay for bars to do that? :scratch:

If you go to sports bars or regular bars/restaurants that are near the site of the Super Bowl, they all charge admission to go inside and sit in their seat and watch the Super Bowl. Last year when I went to Detroit for the weekend to help my buddy at the NFL Experience, we noticed that all the bars right around the corner from the stadium were charging like $50 a pop if you wanted to come in and watch the game with the other fans. And it happens each year for the Super bowl. :ill:

One of my buddies was in Miami during one of the super Bowls and wanted to watch the game with other fans, so he went to a bar. They charged him $50 for the first half and then asked him at halftime if he planned to stay and if so it would be another $50...he paid it. They put it on his tab. :cynic:

the difference is bars and restaurants pay commercial subscription fees for the broadcasts. I think basic cable in a commercial establishment is up over $250 per month now.

I think the NFL is right for working to protect their property. Let's not forget any lost revenues are going to be recovered from the people who are actually paying for the product.

Ebenezer
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
the difference is bars and restaurants pay commercial subscription fees for the broadcasts. I think basic cable in a commercial establishment is up over $250 per month now.

I thought I read about a month ago that it is over $500.

Michael82
02-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey NFL get your greedy hands out of my pockets. You have all you want or need so lay off my little pleasures will ya!
:bf1:

Michael82
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not surprised. People don't want to piss off the NFL by criticizing them. They are too powerful to mess with. :ill:

LtFinFan66
02-05-2007, 03:54 AM
I thought I read about a month ago that it is over $500.well over $500 would qualify in the over $250 category as well :idunno:

jamze132
02-05-2007, 06:47 AM
I find it rather amusing that a church is going to break the law. LOL If there are copyright infractions against them, it would be hilarious.

But I also think the NFL is really gay for interfering at all.

But isn't the least but funny to have a "Super Bowl Bash" at a church? I wonder if near beer would have been sold since their would have been all sorts of beer commercials on anyways as well as gay Chevy driver commercials. Doesn't gay butt sex and alcoholism go against the church's beliefs and teachings? LOL Just another reason to stay away.

Jeff1220
02-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I find it rather amusing that a church is going to break the law. LOL If there are copyright infractions against them, it would be hilarious.

But I also think the NFL is really gay for interfering at all.

But isn't the least but funny to have a "Super Bowl Bash" at a church? I wonder if near beer would have been sold since their would have been all sorts of beer commercials on anyways as well as gay Chevy driver commercials. Doesn't gay butt sex and alcoholism go against the church's beliefs and teachings? LOL Just another reason to stay away.

Right because Christians couldn't possibly want to watch football :rolleyes:

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 07:41 AM
like hell the church isn't trying to make a profit.

I know ours wasn't. We charged a whopping .25 per hotdog, soda etc. Ohhhh yeah thats trying to make a profit.

jamze132
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Right because Christians couldn't possibly want to watch football :rolleyes:
Of course church goers watch football. You took what I was saying out of context. I was trying to make the point that it's hyprocritical to show commercials promoting the use of alcohol at a church. Just my opinion.

Jeff1220
02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
The church can't control what advertisements are sold during a football game. Some people just look for anything to try to badmouth the church. And by the way, some Christians do like to drink beer (they just don't usually get wasted.)

tat2dmike77
02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Waaaaah who cares

Buckets
02-05-2007, 11:18 AM

IT"S AN "F"N CHURCH. NON PROFIT AND THAT KIND OF S**T, COME ON USE YOUR HEADS. I'M SURE THE PASTOR IS GOING TO GO OUT AND BUY HIMSELF A NEW ROLL'S OR BENTLY.

Typ0
02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I know ours wasn't. We charged a whopping .25 per hotdog, soda etc. Ohhhh yeah thats trying to make a profit.

but the hot dogs and soda's were donated. At that rate, your church is going to make fifty bucks off the superbowl and NFL is not going to get their proper cut.

jamze132
02-06-2007, 07:07 AM
The church can't control what advertisements are sold during a football game. Some people just look for anything to try to badmouth the church. And by the way, some Christians do like to drink beer (they just don't usually get wasted.)
The church has no control whatsoever over the advertisements during the Super Bowl. What they do have control over is showing it in a church.

Do churches show Wrestlemania and UFC? No they don't becasue they promote violence and sex. Those types of things contradict the church's beliefs.

I am not looking for anything to badmouth a church about. I just think it's hypocritical that a church is showing a violent (although very polpular in America) sport that is sponsored by an alcoholic beverage company among others.

Like I said, just an opinion.