• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Big Brother NFL at it again

There was a news story here locally showing how a church wants to have a get together and show the superbowl. Somehow the NFL got wind of it and told them they would fine them if they did.

Per the NFL you can't have a group setting (outside of home) and show it on a screen larger than 55' I believe.

More and more I am getting sick of the NFL and is greed.
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

Re: Big Brother NFL at it again

the No Fun League strikes again!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
      the No Fun League strikes again!!!!!!!!!
      I know bud its flat stupid. Our church is going to do the same thing and You don't scare pastor Bill off that easy

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

ICE, you heard something strange. The NFL has no legal standing to fine anybody that is not associated with them.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

They should just do it anyway.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

This story was on Mike and Mike this week, and it was exactly as ICE stated it. I'm not sure what legal standing the NFL has here, but it seems like they do have something.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Or Mike and Mike have it wrong.

Comment

• honey
                • Aug 2002

Here's a link:

NFL won't let church show game

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The NFL has nixed a church's plans to use a wall projector to show the Colts-Bears Super Bowl game, saying it would violate copyright laws.
                NFL officials spotted a promotion of Fall Creek Baptist Church's "Super Bowl Bash" on the church Web site last week and overnighted a letter to the pastor demanding the party be canceled, the church said.
                Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIK5F4zRN0Y

Comment

• mybills
                  81 st zoner
                  • Jul 2002

who the F do they think they are?
                  Like a group here & there are gonna make such a big difference in the ratings.
                  I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

They should go ahead with the plan.

It is one thing to sue over a copyright issue, quite another to sue over how large the TV is. The NFL could not show any damages or loss of income.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by honey
                      Here's a link:

NFL won't let church show game

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The NFL has nixed a church's plans to use a wall projector to show the Colts-Bears Super Bowl game, saying it would violate copyright laws.
                      NFL officials spotted a promotion of Fall Creek Baptist Church's "Super Bowl Bash" on the church Web site last week and overnighted a letter to the pastor demanding the party be canceled, the church said.
                      Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

This NFL is getting too greedy and too ****ing big for their own good. It's only a matter of time until they go to Pay Per View for the Super Bowl.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

They should do it anyway. I'd like to see the NFL fine them and receive all the bad PR that goes along with it.

I'm all for making money. But there comes a point where you have to wonder how much is enough. Big Companies are ruining the US economy. The NFL is a prime example of why.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend
                          I'd have a problem with that if I were the NFL also. Having a big party is one thing, trying to capitalize off of someone else's copyrighted material is another.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• cordog
                            eat, drink, and be merry
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                            I'd have a problem with that if I were the NFL also. Having a big party is one thing, trying to capitalize off of someone else's copyrighted material is another.

Yeah I'm actually with the league on this one. The church can't charge a fee at the door for the game. Now if it were free to attend and they sold food or whatever, that would be a different story.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                              but it's okay for bars to do that?

If you go to sports bars or regular bars/restaurants that are near the site of the Super Bowl, they all charge admission to go inside and sit in their seat and watch the Super Bowl. Last year when I went to Detroit for the weekend to help my buddy at the NFL Experience, we noticed that all the bars right around the corner from the stadium were charging like $50 a pop if you wanted to come in and watch the game with the other fans. And it happens each year for the Super bowl.

One of my buddies was in Miami during one of the super Bowls and wanted to watch the game with other fans, so he went to a bar. They charged him $50 for the first half and then asked him at halftime if he planned to stay and if so it would be another $50...he paid it. They put it on his tab.

Comment

Working...
                              X