PDA

View Full Version : Do caretaker QBs really work?

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:13 PM
The QB that the coach keeps the ball out of the hands. The kind that has a good 30% percent of games with less than 20 passes. Like Dilfer. Can teams still get to the Super Bowl with these dud QB's? I don't think so. I think the elite QBs are finally getting to the Super Bowl again.

Dr. Lecter
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Get to the Super Bowl? Yes. Look at Grossman.

It is much more than the QB.

Cntrygal
02-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Big Ben - last year.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Get to the Super Bowl? Yes. Look at Grossman.

It is much more than the QB.

I'm sorry. Do they win Super Bowls? Grossman looks like ****. He's done nothing. Manning has taken over the game. I think the days of Dilfers winning it is over. Brady has three, and I think it's looking like Manning is going to have one.

Goobylal
02-04-2007, 07:21 PM
It was more than Brady. And Manning is getting a lot of help from his defense.

Grossman could just as easily "win" the gam if he didn't suck so bad.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Big Ben - last year.

I was going to bring him up, but he had 21 passes against Seattle, 29 against Denver, 24 against Indy, and 19 against Cincy. He also took on more responsibility this year. I think they win when Big Ben is safe, but he's not like Rex and Trent where they don't want him to have the ball.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:27 PM
It was more than Brady. And Manning is getting a lot of help from his defense.

Grossman could just as easily "win" the gam if he didn't suck so bad.

You really think Tom Brady isn't an elite QB? IMO, Brady is a top 3 QB in this league.

ICE74129
02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Bottom line there comes a point and time when the QB must WIN a game. Grossman isn't that type of QB and it may bite chicago in the butt tonight.

Cntrygal
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't think this season should factor in with Big Ben - he went to the SB last year.... so that's the season that should be scrutinized. What was his ratios last season?

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Bottom line there comes a point and time when the QB must WIN a game. Grossman isn't that type of QB and it may bite chicago in the butt tonight.

Agreed. If you coach doesn't give you the ball in crunch time, you're never going to be a good QB in this league.

Goobylal
02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I didn't say that. I said it's more than the QB which is what the good doctor said.

Although I think he did have extraordinary help from his defense and ST's, and had one of the best coaching staffs in NFL history.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't think this season should factor in with Big Ben - he went to the SB last year.... so that's the season that should be scrutinized. What was his ratios last season?

True. I just think Ben comparing Ben to Rex and Trent aren't that fair to him. I think he still has a ton of potential, and will be a good QB in this league.

Cntrygal
02-04-2007, 07:33 PM
True... but that wasn't really your question was it? IMO - Big Ben WAS a "caretaker" in that SB win.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:35 PM
I didn't say that. I said it's more than the QB which is what the good doctor said.

I don't deny there are so many factors. I just believe that there was a lack of emphasize on QBs after Dilfer won it. It was the Dolphins fans of the world that think we were good enough to make up for the poor QB play just because Dilfer did it. I'm hoping this tells management to finally draft a QB, and quit dicking around.

Bling
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
True... but that wasn't really your question was it? IMO - Big Ben WAS a "caretaker" in that SB win.

I understand what you're saying, and you're right.

Cntrygal
02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm hoping this tells management to finally draft a QB, and quit dicking around.

Well..... I don't ever want Miami to win anything ever again - but I see where you're coming from.

:D

Cntrygal
02-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I understand what you're saying, and you're right.

:bravo:

Goobylal
02-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't deny there are so many factors. I just believe that there was a lack of emphasize on QBs after Dilfer won it. It was the Dolphins fans of the world that think we were good enough to make up for the poor QB play just because Dilfer did it. I'm hoping this tells management to finally draft a QB, and quit dicking around.
Doesn't matter what the fans think. They tried to improve the QB play by going after Culpepper, after pursuing Brees (big mistake in hindsight there).

It helps to have a good QB. But as the saying goes, "defense wins championships," and a lot of teams have won a SB (or 3) without great QB's, but haven't without a great defense.