PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sanders

Kerr
02-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Sanders lacks size, but hits with authority and make plays. I remember the colts picked Sanders with their 1st pick years ago. Donte Whitner almost reminds me of him. I hope Whitner pays off like Sanders has for the colts.

cordog
02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Bob Sanders is a beast. He's from Erie, PA so I watched him alot in Iowa. I just wished he would have been around for the Bills to scoop him up a couple of years ago. I really thought that he should have beenMVP. Forced Fumble and an INT, plus a couple of big tackles.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Sanders lacks size, but hits with authority and make plays. I remember the colts picked Sanders with their 1st pick years ago. Donte Whitner almost reminds me of him. I hope Whitner pays off like Sanders has for the colts.

I think that Sanders is the guy that the Bills were drafting Whitner to be for them when they drafted Whitner last year.

You saw the difference that a good SS vs a so-so can make for teams that play a Tampa 2 defense in this game: Sanders with his FF, INT and key stops in run support, etc. vs the Bears' SS (who was replacing Mike Brown) who blew the coverage on the Wayne TD and was basically a non-factor, particularly in run support. The Bills obviously expect--and really need--Whitner to be the kind of safety that Sanders is for the Colts. The Colts' defense is an entirely different and much better unit when Sanders and MLB Gary Brackett are healthy enough to play for them, as they were in the playoffs and SB.

ricogarion
02-05-2007, 01:05 AM
He is like a mini linebacker a sideline to sideline turf terrorists. They missed him when he was hurt.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 07:18 AM
The only problem w/ Bob is that because he acts like a human cannonball he is consistently hurt and missing games.

BidsJr
02-05-2007, 07:53 AM

Whitner is not and will never be Bob Sanders.

I'll never forget the quote of Kirk Ferentz after Bob stepped on the field as a Freshman.

Paraphrasing he said it was like being in a street fight and having your big brother show up.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Whitner is not and will never be Bob Sanders.

I'll never forget the quote of Kirk Ferentz after Bob stepped on the field as a Freshman.

Paraphrasing he said it was like being in a street fight and having your big brother show up.

What? Sanders and Whitner play with almost an exact same style except Bob Sanders is too reckless in his play, which is why he cant make it through a full seaosn. They both hit like crazy, they are both good in coverage, and they both play the run well. There are plenty of similarities, just recklessness is the real difference.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
He is like a mini linebacker a sideline to sideline turf terrorists. They missed him when he was hurt.

Turf Terrorist

:rofl:

R. Rich
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, Bob Sanders is a beast. He's from Erie, PA so I watched him alot in Iowa. I just wished he would have been around for the Bills to scoop him up a couple of years ago. I really thought that he should have beenMVP. Forced Fumble and an INT, plus a couple of big tackles.

He played his HS football @ Prep w/ my cousins (Tim and Tom Dance), who are good friends of his. I saw him out w/ one of my cousins after he was drafted by the Colts and while he was still holding out (as a second round pick?!!). I'm glad he's done so well, for my hometown's sake.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
He played his HS football @ Prep w/ my cousins (Tim and Tom Dance), who are good friends of his. I saw him out w/ one of my cousins after he was drafted by the Colts and while he was still holding out (as a second round pick?!!). I'm glad he's done so well, for my hometown's sake.

He is Erie's golden boy for sure. I haven't seen the paper today but I can only imagine his picture is front page news.

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 09:04 AM
What? Sanders and Whitner play with almost an exact same style except Bob Sanders is too reckless in his play, which is why he cant make it through a full seaosn. They both hit like crazy, they are both good in coverage, and they both play the run well. There are plenty of similarities, just recklessness is the real difference.
Whitner didn't play too good in coverage against Gates :(

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Not many safeties do, especially rookies.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 09:10 AM

No he didnt, but hopefully he'll learn from it and do better next time.

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm still just not totally sold on Whitner yet. I only saw him play once in college so I really don't know what to expect from the guy. But watching him this season he doesn't look like a ball hawking safety that will make huge plays happen. He doesn't seem to be that great of a hitter, although he does throw his body at a guy when another guy already has him in his arms, and he missed quite a few tackles this year, I counted five in one game.

Not saying I'm down on him (he is after all, only a rookie), I am just unsure of what to expect.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm still just not totally sold on Whitner yet. I only saw him play once in college so I really don't know what to expect from the guy. But watching him this season he doesn't look like a ball hawking safety that will make huge plays happen. He doesn't seem to be that great of a hitter, although he does throw his body at a guy when another guy already has him in his arms, and he missed quite a few tackles this year, I counted five in one game.

Not saying I'm down on him (he is after all, only a rookie), I am just unsure of what to expect.

He is not a ballhawk, he will make plays on the ball though. He probably wont ever lead the team in picks, but he has solid coverage skills and his best quality is his hitting. I think thats a big reason we took Ko in round 4 as he is more of a ballhawk.

R. Rich
02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
He is Erie's golden boy for sure. I haven't seen the paper today but I can only imagine his picture is front page news.

My brother writes for that rag of a newspaper.

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
He is not a ballhawk, he will make plays on the ball though. He probably wont ever lead the team in picks, but he has solid coverage skills and his best quality is his hitting. I think thats a big reason we took Ko in round 4 as he is more of a ballhawk.
I thought Simpson was the more impressive of the two.

But every rookie gets three full seasons in my book so he has two more to make me a believer.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Simpson missed tons more tackles than Whitner.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 09:34 AM
My brother writes for that rag of a newspaper.

I don't even get it anymore. The sports section just gave me a headache reading some of those articles.

R. Rich
02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I just read it online for free, like I do for most news.

ZacGriffi~82
02-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Simpson made McGee look real bad more then a few times.

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah man. What the hell happened to McGee this year. Got his contract and just went down hill. Coincidence?

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah man. What the hell happened to McGee this year. Got his contract and just went down hill. Coincidence?

I dont think he is a very good starting CB to be honest with you

cordog
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Yep, he's on the front page.

R. Rich
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Yep, he's on the front page.

Nice.

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I dont think he is a very good starting CB to be honest with you
Might not be great but he was pretty damn decent the past couple years before 2006. This year he just fell off the deep end.

BidsJr
02-05-2007, 04:38 PM

If you think Whitner hits like Sanders does, you haven't seen much of Bob Sanders' play.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
If you think Whitner hits like Sanders does, you haven't seen much of Bob Sanders' play.

I saw two years of him in college and a few of his games every year in the pros (when not hurt). He's a hell of a player, and yes I think Whitner hits like him, look at his college reel from last years draft class.

YardRat
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Gee. Ya' think Marv had a talk with his ol' buddy Bill before the draft about how to build a T2 defense??

G. Host
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM

He reminds me of another punishing Safety - Kurt Shultz. WRs were always trying to cheat a look at where he was and not catching the ball because their full concentration was not focused on the ball.