PDA

View Full Version : This offseason will put marvs words to the test.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:05 AM
First off the talent without character comments. If willis is still on this team with his crap attitude AND lack of performance, marv is full of **** and he really isn't going to back his words.

Second, he said he didn't have the time to rebuild and we need to win now. Now I presume that doesnt' mean waiting another 2 offseasons which = 2-3 years from now. So again with Free agency and the draft I guess we will find out if he is going to be true to his words on this subject as well.

Personally I hope he backs what he says. I know I am sick of losing and being laughing stocks of the league. Some are content to just draft and HOPE things turn out alright. Problem is if you don't supplement with some good FA talent, you get in a cycle of trying to chase your tail.

We will see

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Or maybe he will be on the team because there is not an upgrade available, no deal could be made or Marv did not want to create a huge gapping hole where one did not exist.

alohabillsfan
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Unfortunatley I believe this will be a weak FA class because of the CAP space available to most teams! With that said we will have to watch come Feb 8-22 to see who is franchised and who is available.

OpIv37
02-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I really don't think Willis will put Marv's assertations on character to the test. I doubt Marv would have drafted him, but at this point, what choice do we have as far as a replacement? I wish we had an RB other than Willis, but the other needs of the team make that pretty difficult to do at the moment.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Or maybe he will be on the team because there is not an upgrade available, no deal could be made or Marv did not want to create a huge gapping hole where one did not exist.

Or he can cut him, draft one in the 2nd round and let the rookie and Atrain go at it since the rookie can't do much worse. And Atrain had somewhat comperable numbers to willis for his time in there.

But then again to leave willis here shows marv is full of **** on his character comments.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I really don't think Willis will put Marv's assertations on character to the test. I doubt Marv would have drafted him, but at this point, what choice do we have as far as a replacement? I wish we had an RB other than Willis, but the other needs of the team make that pretty difficult to do at the moment.

Willis is average. Are you telling me we can't find another average back with less BS in the draft?

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
If they cut him, I will scream my head off. That would be stupid.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
If they cut him, I will scream my head off. That would be stupid.

What marv should do is package him with our 3rd and get a high 2nd OR our 2nd to get back into the first round.

Either way he isn't worth the BS and he is very much replacable esp with our offense. I do remember reading somewhere the bills were looking into getting a new back that would be a theat out of the backfield and catch 40+ balls. God I hope so.

OpIv37
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Willis is average. Are you telling me we can't find another average back with less BS in the draft?

I'm sure we could, but we also need 1-2 DT's, 1-2 LB's, a CB, a FB and we could use a DE, a #2 receiver and a TE. As much as I'd like someone other than Willis in our backfield, I just don't want RB added to that already-extensive list.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
That is twice today in case anyone is counting.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
That is twice today in case anyone is counting.That took you quite awhile. I would have thought you would be here quicker with your boy being assulted....err the truth being told about him again.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm sure we could, but we also need 1-2 DT's, 1-2 LB's, a CB, a FB and we could use a DE, a #2 receiver and a TE. As much as I'd like someone other than Willis in our backfield, I just don't want RB added to that already-extensive list.

DT Draft or FA
OLB FA
ILB Draft
CB mid tier Fa to compete with yobotay
RG Free agency

Willis needs to be let go and us draft his replacement

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
That took you quite awhile. I would have thought you would be here quicker with your boy being assulted....err the truth being told about him again.

Sorry. I was actually doing some work.

HHURRICANE
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Even if we draft a RB in the first round I don't see McGahee getting traded. It just doesn't make sense. Starting the season with a rookie RB is pretty stupid. Reggie Bush didn't even play that well the first half of the season.

No, McGahee will play his last season out and leave. That's pretty much a for sure.

The Bills are too close to dick around with a change at RB. We have other issues to address.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Even if we draft a RB in the first round I don't see McGahee getting traded. It just doesn't make sense. Starting the season with a rookie RB is pretty stupid. Reggie Bush didn't even play that well the first half of the season.

No, McGahee will play his last season out and leave. That's pretty much a for sure.

The Bills are too close to dick around with a change at RB. We have other issues to address.

That's about as right as it gets.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 12:05 PM
That is twice today in case anyone is counting.

Can you put a counter in your sig to keep track of this, I dont have the time to be here all day and I need to know these things!

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Yeah that joseph addai guy really sucked as a rookie this year. Oh wait..

Sorry man but your arguement holds no water. We are too close to what? Being .500? Willis is part of the problem if you want to improve then you gotta get his replacement in here.

And as for as rookies go, several got signifigant playing time this year and did well. If marv picks the right guy it will happen in buffalo too

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry. I was actually doing some work.

Me too but I still find time

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah that joseph addai guy really sucked as a rookie this year. Oh wait..

Sorry man but your arguement holds no water. We are too close to what? Being .500? Willis is part of the problem if you want to improve then you gotta get his replacement in here.

And as for as rookies go, several got signifigant playing time this year and did well. If marv picks the right guy it will happen in buffalo too

This is a pretty weak RB class, considering the #3 RB (Bush) is coming off a serious injury. I wouldnt mind taking Kenny Irons in Round 3, I think he could be a good back.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
This is a pretty weak RB class, considering the #3 RB (Bush) is coming off a serious injury. I wouldnt mind taking Kenny Irons in Round 3, I think he could be a good back.

yeah and would irons do any worse than willis? No, but maybe he is a better fit for the system, works harder, etc.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
yeah and would irons do any worse than willis? No, but maybe he is a better fit for the system, works harder, etc.

Im not going to speculate if he would or wouldnt. I have a higher opinion of Willis than you do. Personally I dont think A-train is near as good a runner as everybody seems to hail him as, but thats me. Let Willis play out his deal unless an offer comes thats too good to pass on (3rd and 5th would do it for me).

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree with you 100% on A-Train. He is a fine back-up.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree with you 100% on A-Train. He is a fine back-up. Who had about the same YPC as willis...which of course means...:bandwagon

Jan Reimers
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Unlike some of our suggestions, Marv will continue to work logically within Ralph's financial constraints to build the best team possible.

I'm sure he doesn't much like Willis as a player or person, but I doubt he will get rid of him without getting some value in return.

Marv, in one season, has moved us back into the realm of respectability. I'd give him at least this offseason, and probably one more, to get us back to the playoffs.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I'd assume it's easier to get a high YPC when you only start two games and one of those games is against the worst run D.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I'd assume it's easier to get a high YPC when you only start two games and one of those games is against the worst run D.

Just like when willis first got his first starts and did well vs the worst teams in the league? Those rushing stats came against the teams drafting in the top 4 that year AND against miami 2x that drafted like 7th or something like it.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, sure, if you say so. I really don't care anymore and this argument is getting old. It's going to be a long off-season and this team has so many other things that need done before Willis is addressed. Marv isn't an idiot. I think he knows football better than everyone on this board. I'll trust his judgement.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Yeah, sure, if you say so. I really don't care anymore and this argument is getting old. It's going to be a long off-season and this team has so many other things that need done before Willis is addressed. Marv isn't an idiot. I think he knows football better than everyone on this board. I'll trust his judgement.

And I am a show me person. I don't care what marv did as a HC, GM is totally different. also if he didn't mean what he said about winning NOW and character, then don't say it.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
And I am a show me person. I don't care what marv did as a HC, GM is totally different. also if he didn't mean what he said about winning NOW and character, then don't say it.

Well then Willis probably isn't the only person to go. Right?

kernowboy
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Personally I think the following ought to occur

1) It would be absolutely daft to cut or trade Willis at this point. If ever there was a season he'd run hard in it will be next season. Furthermore as Addai has just shown a rookie can do well enough as did Brown and Williams the year before. With the 2008 draft bulging at the seams with RB talent, why draft a Suzuki when you can get a Mercedes next year?. I would however like to see a Day2 pick on a RB who can replace Shaud Williams
2) We do not need to go berserk in Free Agency throwing excessive amounts of cash at over rated players. If we can pick up
i) a RG like Kris Dielman
ii) a big MLB like Napolean Harris
iii) a CB like Ahmed Carroll or Mike Rumph
iv) hopefully a youngish DT pickup. With teams changing coaches some ERFA or RFA guys may get cut
then we will have built for the future in some key areas
3) I do agree with the concern about Spikes but if we come away from the draft with a LB (Timmons, Willis or Posluzny), a WR (Meacham?) a OL (Free or Otto) a CB (Wade or Bains) and maybe a couple of sleepers then we will definitely be in the playoffs

YardRat
02-05-2007, 02:37 PM
"I'd rather be right than consistent." - Marv Levy

User Manuel
02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
First off the talent without character comments. If willis is still on this team with his crap attitude AND lack of performance, marv is full of **** and he really isn't going to back his words.

Second, he said he didn't have the time to rebuild and we need to win now. Now I presume that doesnt' mean waiting another 2 offseasons which = 2-3 years from now. So again with Free agency and the draft I guess we will find out if he is going to be true to his words on this subject as well.

Personally I hope he backs what he says. I know I am sick of losing and being laughing stocks of the league. Some are content to just draft and HOPE things turn out alright. Problem is if you don't supplement with some good FA talent, you get in a cycle of trying to chase your tail.

We will see

One thing to ponder. If Thurman Thomas were cut for every stupid comment he ever made he never would have played a game in Buffalo. Granted he is a Hall of Famer and Willis ain't, but saying dumb things in the alternate reality that is the NFL isn't even really a character issue. He isn't calling his QB gay, he isn't getting arrested, hasn't shot anyone nor been shot, not sued (as far as I know) for child support for illegitimate kids, not suspended for roids. Basically not humiliating the organization and being a good teammate is what Marv is talking about.
I guess what I am saying is....
Being a jerk to the fans, in an indirect way, doesn't necessarily mean you have poor character in the context of an NFL team.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
One thing to ponder. If Thurman Thomas were cut for every stupid comment he ever made he never would have played a game in Buffalo. Granted he is a Hall of Famer and Willis ain't, but saying dumb things in the alternate reality that is the NFL isn't even really a character issue. He isn't calling his QB gay, he isn't getting arrested, hasn't shot anyone nor been shot, not sued (as far as I know) for child support for illegitimate kids, not suspended for roids. Basically not humiliating the organization and being a good teammate is what Marv is talking about.
Being a jerk to the fans, in an indirect way, doesn't necessarily mean you have poor character in the context of an NFL team.

This is too easy..

TT had a MUCH greater passion for being the best on the field. TT didn't go knocking up 3 different women in 15 months. TT could block, be a Threat out of the backfield and no matter what....EVERY FRIGGIN SUNDAY HE GAVE 100%.

NONE of which can be said for Willis. Willis isnt' 1/2 the talent TT was. Bigger yeah. Faster, maybe. Other than that, he can't hold TT's jock.

Willis doesn't fit into Marvs mould and I am willing to bet if Marv had been GM, he wouldnt' have even thought about touching willis.

ParanoidAndroid
02-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Good comments. They make sense.

It's obvious that any mention, whether direct or indirect, of the team leaving Buffalo is going to garner a harsh response.

The City of Buffalo and its citizens have worked hard and have been dumped on for so many years, it's about time they received some kind of fortune. Whether it be a Stanley Cup, a Superbowl, or an economic revival, it has to be coming. Mentioning the possibility of losing their NFL team is another kick to the groin.