PDA

View Full Version : Bills resign LB.......

Patrick76777
02-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Coy Wire.

Patrick76777 jumps off of building.

as per V Coach

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Good news.

He played well at LB and is good for depth.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Good news.

He played well at LB and is good for depth. Agreed, but we still are going to need two starters

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 11:22 AM
One starter.

Spikes played better the last 5 games or so.

Night Train
02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Doesn't mean he'll be here opening day.

OpIv37
02-05-2007, 11:26 AM
is anyone on this D actually big enough to play their position?

chernobylwraiths
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Coy Wire.

as per V Coach

seems as if at least something good came out of the signing. :D

Yasgur's Farm
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Nice signing... He's a good versatile player.

Patrick76777
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
seems as if at least something good came out of the signing. :D

HATE Wire. can't stand him. He's like a cockroach. He'll be on this team forever.

chernobylwraiths
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
HATE Wire. can't stand him. He's like a cockroach. He'll be on this team forever.

Must have been a pretty short building.

I'm not exactly fond of him as anything but a special teams player.

bigbub2352
02-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Hope he took a pay cutt he sucks

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
One starter.

Spikes played better the last 5 games or so. Two, spikes is 30, and won't ever be what he was. Even at that he hasn't been the pure impact OLB we need on this team.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 11:38 AM
He's good for special teams reasons and he seems like a good team guy. I still get chills when I think of him actually playing defense though.

HHURRICANE
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Man I am missing it. He sucks. That's not the start I was hoping for.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Strictly a ST signing nothing more. Good resign

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Two, spikes is 30, and won't ever be what he was. Even at that he hasn't been the pure impact OLB we need on this team.

Still waiting for you to name one person for the past 5 years that hasnt healed from this injury

Tatonka
02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Still waiting for you to name one person for the past 5 years that hasnt healed from this injury

:oops:

Bmax
02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Special Teams .....Mark Pike.....lasted forever was a very good special teams guy.... Levy wasn't letting this guy get away....Back up only...... Cato June is only 6-0- 229 ........Wire 6-0- 220.......Probably will put on 5-10 lbs to play LB....

BMAX

HHURRICANE
02-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Whatever happened to Santana Dotson?

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Too many to list. HS, College, and then you get into the other sports as well. This is a career killer and TKO wasn't that great to begin with.

cinci let him walk and they did very well without him. What exactly HAS he done here? He got a probowl one season, since then not much.

See you guys talk about improving but want to keep guys like TKO, Willis etc around. you can't do that and keep these average guys around.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM

What about that one LB that was a probowl caliber lb...what was his name? Sam Cowart I think...

Ickybaluky
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
What about that one LB that was a probowl caliber lb...what was his name? Sam Cowart I think...

That was 2001. This is 2007. Do the math.

Ickybaluky
02-05-2007, 12:20 PM

He was 33 when he suffered that injury in 2002. He chose not to come back.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:22 PM

LMAO and whats the difference? AH injury is still the same today as it ever was. No changes in medicine are allowing tendons to heal differently. Just go ask ANY orthopod and they will tell you, this is a career ender.

At BEST he will be 85-90% of what he was and thats not the type of guy we need to start WINNING. Get briggs in here and lets move on

Ickybaluky
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
LMAO and whats the difference? AH injury is still the same today as it ever was. No changes in medicine are allowing tendons to heal differently. Just go ask ANY orthopod and they will tell you, this is a career ender.

Players are now rehabbing from that injury with regularity, so they must be doing something different.

Julian Peterson, Mike Brown, Ronald Curry, Jon Jansen and Derrick Burgess. Vince Carter in the NBA.

In recent years, the norm is for guys to return from this injury and play to their ability. It takes a year of recovery and another year of playing, but guys return to form. That is the norm, based on the players who recently suffered teh injury.

Spikes will be 2 years removed from surgery in October. Seems a little premature to judge him.

However, the one certainty is there is reason to be optimistic, based on recent history.

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM

At BEST he will be 85-90% of what he was and thats not the type of guy we need to start WINNING. Get briggs in here and lets move on

That's just not true, Ice. Popular Science had an article last year about how medical science is changing and allowing athletes to come back quicker - and they had a case sample with Ty Law.

Tatonka
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
ice knows it all.. you cant tell him anything..

not only does he coach peewee football, but he is a doctor now too.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Btw I credit the prior comment about naming an athlete in the past 5 years to comeback to NE39, he was the one who first said it.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
ice knows it all.. you cant tell him anything..

not only does he coach peewee football, but he is a doctor now too.

Ah typical you can't actually argue the point so its an attempt at a personal attack or baiting.

Jeff1220
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Players are now rehabbing from that injury with regularity, so they must be doing something different.

Julian Peterson, Mike Brown, Ronald Curry, Jon Jansen and Derrick Burgess. Vince Carter in the NBA.

In recent years, the norm is for guys to return from this injury and play to their ability. It takes a year of recovery and another year of playing, but guys return to form. That is the norm, based on the players who recently suffered teh injury.

Spikes will be 2 years removed from surgery in October. Seems a little premature to judge him.

However, the one certainty is there is reason to be optimistic, based on recent history.

Why is it that a Pats fan can make some sense of this while a lot of Bills fans can't? Spikes should be fine in '07 and still has 3-4 good years left in him.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Too many to list. HS, College, and then you get into the other sports as well. This is a career killer and TKO wasn't that great to begin with.

cinci let him walk and they did very well without him. What exactly HAS he done here? He got a probowl one season, since then not much.

See you guys talk about improving but want to keep guys like TKO, Willis etc around. you can't do that and keep these average guys around.

A couple of points:

1. Spikes is a dynamic, big play LB when healthy. To act as if he did nothing here is stupid.
2. The problem with trying to replace these guys is that there are not replacements on the roster right now. So instead of 4-5 needs on this team (LB, CB, DT, OG) there are now 6-7. That starts to get difficult in FA and the draft.

Don't get rid of guys unless you have a replacement ready. Remember dumping Henry Jones and starting Raion freaking Hill?

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
A couple of points:

1. Spikes is a dynamic, big play LB when healthy. To act as if he did nothing here is stupid.
2. The problem with trying to replace these guys is that there are not replacements on the roster right now. So instead of 4-5 needs on this team (LB, CB, DT, OG) there are now 6-7. That starts to get difficult in FA and the draft.

Don't get rid of guys unless you have a replacement ready. Remember dumping Henry Jones and starting Raion freaking Hill?

RG is a FA
ILB is draft
OLB is FA
CB is a mid tier guy because yobotay was drafted IMO to replace clements
DT there really isn't one in FA so we need to make a decision draft day OR just run with what we have one more year while ramping up the LB corp.

See these moves can be made EASY if they just do it.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
RG is a FA
ILB is draft
OLB is FA
CB is a mid tier guy because yobotay was drafted IMO to replace clements
DT there really isn't one in FA so we need to make a decision draft day OR just run with what we have one more year while ramping up the LB corp.

See these moves can be made EASY if they just do it.

Names and not just;

Briggs, Steinbach, and Willis. Lets be realistic here.

kernowboy
02-05-2007, 01:51 PM
or

Napolean Harris
Kris Dielman
Paul Posluzny

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Names and not just;

Briggs, Steinbach, and Willis. Lets be realistic here.

I would go Steinbach, Briggs and Harper in FA (harper to fight with yobotay)

I would then go Willis at ILB with #12, Trade up using our 2nd rounder and Willis to get a RB.

now we have addressed RG, OLB, ILB, CB. Whats needed now can be addressed with the rest of the draft and possible June 1st FA's.

DT really worries me though. I agree with you there isn't much out there worth getting unless marv and co have their eye on someone.

And what you do is this... you front load money for Briggs and Steinback as roster bonuses, not signing bonuses which is what indy did for payton. This puts the meat of their cap totals on this years cap which we can afford. Do the same with P willis. By doing that we still have plenty of cap room for a couple mid tiers, rest of the draft picks and to re sign some of our own guys.

then down the road our top guys are VERY affordable and we don't have to worry about the cap

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 02:06 PM
First of all, I can't believe someone is saying Spikes was never that great and didn't do anything while he was here. WTF???

Second, I can only imagine what a terrible running game we might have if a rookie and A-Train are rotating at back. Just keep Willis and let him play his contract out. What don't you understand about him playing lights out because it's a contract year? Don't you remember Peerless Price the first time around?

ParanoidAndroid
02-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Sam Cowart was injured in 2001. Spikes injury occurred in 2005.
2005 - 2001 = 4

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM

I would then go Willis at ILB with #12, Trade up using our 2nd rounder and Willis to get a RB.

now we have addressed RG, OLB, ILB, CB. Whats needed now can be addressed with the rest of the draft and possible June 1st FA's.

DT really worries me though. I agree with you there isn't much out there worth getting unless marv and co have their eye on someone.

And what you do is this... you front load money for Briggs and Steinback as roster bonuses, not signing bonuses which is what indy did for payton. This puts the meat of their cap totals on this years cap which we can afford. Do the same with P willis. By doing that we still have plenty of cap room for a couple mid tiers, rest of the draft picks and to re sign some of our own guys.

then down the road our top guys are VERY affordable and we don't have to worry about the cap

So you spend money and your top pick on D which is still ignoring the glaring need at DE. So what do we do now? We cant provide any pressure on the passer and we know this D will give the 5-7 yard pass every play, so you've spent money and done nothing for us.

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 02:13 PM

I like the plan except that DT is not addressed and unfortunately it is one of the biggest holes we have to try and account for during the offseason.

B'cse of it, I might sacrifice getting Willis at LB in order to pick up a better DT like Okoye that would improve us over Tim Anderson tremendously. I'd then want to pick up a lower rd LB with potential - maybe even in the 2nd.

I also wouldn't trade Willis and a 2nd for a new RB. We need our 2nd for a decent ILB and Willis will play his a$$ off this year in order to get a good contract the following year. Next year has many more RBs in the lineup that might allow for us to grab a 2nd rounder that might be better than anything we can grab in this year's draft after Lynch...

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I like the plan except that DT is not addressed and unfortunately it is one of the biggest holes we have to try and account for during the offseason.

B'cse of it, I might sacrifice getting Willis at LB in order to pick up a better DT like Okoye that would improve us over Tim Anderson tremendously. I'd then want to pick up a lower rd LB with potential - maybe even in the 2nd.

I also wouldn't trade Willis and a 2nd for a new RB. We need our 2nd for a decent ILB and Willis will play his a$$ off this year in order to get a good contract the following year. Next year has many more RBs in the lineup that might allow for us to grab a 2nd rounder that might be better than anything we can grab in this year's draft after Lynch...

Also leaves a glaring need a LDE

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, we can't do everything all at once. Atleast our DEs have done well against the pass and gotten a fair number of sacks. I think Hargrove is better against the run than Denney or Kelsay, so I'd let Kelsay go and let Hargrove take his place. If we can pick up a sleeper, great, but atleast forcing runs to go mostly outside allows time for the LBs to get there. Up the middle runs are just unacceptable.

That being said, if Okoye and Branch are gone...I wouldn't mind a top DE...

Ickybaluky
02-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Sam Cowart was injured in 2001. Spikes injury occurred in 2005.
2005 - 2001 = 4

You misunderstood.

I asked for a player who suffered the injury in the last 5 years who was unable to come back. Since this is 2007, Cowart is too far back.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I think DE is a bigger need than DT, considering we have no idea about McCargo yet and we may not need to take another DT.

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I think DE is a bigger need than DT, considering we have no idea about McCargo yet and we may not need to take another DT.

Tim Anderson is still in the rotation. Until we have someone better to replace him, DT is of need.

Denney + Kelsay equaled Schobel sacks. I'll have to hope that Denney + Hargrove will produce just the same and still help the run better with Hargrove.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Tim Anderson is still in the rotation. Until we have someone better to replace him, DT is of need.

Denney + Kelsay equaled Schobel sacks. I'll have to hope that Denney + Hargrove will produce just the same and still help the run better with Hargrove.

Im more concerned with our run D than sacks.

I agree Tim Anderson is a joke, my sister could play better DT than him, god I hated that draft pick.

Billsrock4life
02-05-2007, 02:40 PM
thnx for the news.......hes a good special teams player and is good for depth.

YardRat
02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Has anybody seen any numbers yet for the contract?

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM

I don't see LDE as a "glaring" need.

Tatonka
02-05-2007, 02:54 PM
tim anderson is NOT in the rotation anylonger.

he is a RFA, with no contract.

Jan Reimers
02-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Wire gives us a serviceable backup at Safety and LB, is a valuable STer, and a high character guy. Who could be surprised that Marv would re-sign him?

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't see LDE as a "glaring" need.

Glaring need? No, but given our draft posistion and the players likely to be available of value around us, I think its probably a great upgrade.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 02:59 PM
That I can see. But I think with Hargrove and Denney (whom I have always thought was at least decent), I think guard and maybe LB are bigger needs.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
That I can see. But I think with Hargrove and Denney (whom I have always thought was at least decent), I think guard and maybe LB are bigger needs.

Agreed but I pray we adress OG in FA bc the draft class isnt stellar. LB you could address easily in round 2 and 3 with its incredible depth.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Since we are just giving our conjecture of April Im gonna say;

Sign:
OG Kris Dielman
OLB Boss Bailey
DT Kindal Moorehead
OT Leonard Davis

Draft:
DE Jamaal Anderson
ILB Brandon Siler
CB CJ Gaddis
DT Antonio Johnson
RB Ramonce Taylor
QB Princenton Sheppard

imo, thats a great offseason.

Night Train
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM

I like the DE idea myself. Still ,DT is a whole other issue and I've read in print both Fewell and Jauron stating they need to get bigger at the 1 Gap DT position.

FA may be slim pickings but lets see how it plays out, before we start believing all our options are restricted to the Draft.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Sign:
OG Kris Dielman
OLB Boss Bailey
DT Kindal Moorehead
OT Leonard Davis

Draft:
DE Jamaal Anderson
ILB Brandon Siler
CB CJ Gaddis
DT Antonio Johnson
RB Ramonce Taylor
QB Princenton Sheppard

Ok thats it!!! Marv move over....we got ourselfs a cat with a much better idea on how to run our offseason :bandwagon

Seriously...I would do backflips if that happened AND I say we make the playoffs this year.

But my good buddy...you just proved my point! IT CAN BE DONE and we dont' have to take 2-3 years to do it. :bandwagon

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Sign:
OG Kris Dielman
OLB Boss Bailey
DT Kindal Moorehead
OT Leonard Davis

Draft:
DE Jamaal Anderson
ILB Brandon Siler
CB CJ Gaddis
DT Antonio Johnson
RB Ramonce Taylor
QB Princenton Sheppard

You still think Jamaal Anderson is going to be available at #12 ??? The best DE in the draft? Or are you just :dream:...

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok thats it!!! Marv move over....we got ourselfs a cat with a much better idea on how to run our offseason :bandwagon

Seriously...I would do backflips if that happened AND I say we make the playoffs this year.

But my good buddy...you just proved my point! IT CAN BE DONE and we dont' have to take 2-3 years to do it. :bandwagon

These moves arent anything your asking for and in no way to the propel us into the playoffs.

We got an often injured OLB who has freakish ability but can play when healthy (should come at minimum cost)

A good young starting RB (likely most expensive acquisition)

Bigger 1 gap DT who was good in Carolina (mid level expense)

Former top 1st rounder who has struggled and needs a change of scenery (also will cost some money)

Draft Wise:
Anderson-Well suffice it to say, I think Ive layed out my case for Anderson
Siler-Ditto
Gaddis-Athletic CB who left school too early but should push Youboty to be ready and take over for McGee soon enough
Johnson-Bigger 1 gap DT who blew up interior lines at Miss St last season
Taylor-Former Texas RB who is somewhat of an engima but showed the size and speed to be dominant in the Texas v. Nation all star game practices
Shepperd-Project QB....well you'll have to read about him later this week in my QB Posistional Report.

I didnt break the bank or even spend alot of money, so in essence you agreeing to this kind of offseason, proves my point more so. We dont need the big name guys.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
You still think Jamaal Anderson is going to be available at #12 ??? The best DE in the draft? Or are you just :dream:...

Combine will tell us alot more, and yea I do. Right now they are talking about 3 top 15 DE's (Id take any of them), all are great all around DE who Id rank;

1. Adams
2. Anderson
3. Johnson

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
These moves arent anything your asking for and in no way to the propel us into the playoffs.

We got an often injured OLB who has freakish ability but can play when healthy (should come at minimum cost)

A good young starting RB (likely most expensive acquisition)

Bigger 1 gap DT who was good in Carolina (mid level expense)

Former top 1st rounder who has struggled and needs a change of scenery (also will cost some money)

Draft Wise:
Anderson-Well suffice it to say, I think Ive layed out my case for Anderson
Siler-Ditto
Gaddis-Athletic CB who left school too early but should push Youboty to be ready and take over for McGee soon enough
Johnson-Bigger 1 gap DT who blew up interior lines at Miss St last season
Taylor-Former Texas RB who is somewhat of an engima but showed the size and speed to be dominant in the Texas v. Nation all star game practices
Shepperd-Project QB....well you'll have to read about him later this week in my QB Posistional Report.

I didnt break the bank or even spend alot of money, so in essence you agreeing to this kind of offseason, proves my point more so. We dont need the big name guys.

But to quote you 'we don't know what their demands are yet'.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
But to quote you 'we don't know what their demands are yet'.

Im fairly confident of my expectations of their demands since none are top end FA, they ask for the moon we tell them to go to hell. Its quite simple.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Im fairly confident of my expectations of their demands since none are top end FA, they ask for the moon we tell them to go to hell. Its quite simple.

Yeah but you cant deny if we ran that offseason right there, this is a playoff team period. 7-9 this year, we add those cats and its a 10 win team period

Tatonka
02-05-2007, 03:35 PM

i dont think that it is a given that all teams rate anderson ahead of adams.. adams is a better pure pass rusher, but not as good against the run.. some teams definately have adams higher on their board though, i am sure.

Meathead
02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
terrific value signing

its not often you can get a st captain that can be a capable backup at five other positions (has practiced and played at every lb and s spot). i know he plans to put some weight on and i wouldnt count him out to end up in a regular rotation at lb

not to mention hes a terrific lockerroom guy and has become somewhat of a spiritual leader on the team, which can easily be underestimated in terms of value to the team mentality

very happy

gr8slayer
02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Good, we have our best STer signed up for a few more.

JoeMama
02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
It's not popular, but I like Coy Wire as a depth guy.

He's a good special teamer.

He's no Steve Tasker or Mark Pike, but he's valuable.

BillsFever21
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Hopefully this isn't another one of our 2.5 million a year signing for a backup player.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah but you cant deny if we ran that offseason right there, this is a playoff team period. 7-9 this year, we add those cats and its a 10 win team period

I dont think so, thats alot of rookies at spots and still Willis in the backfield.

Mahdi
02-05-2007, 05:44 PM

So what about Julian Peterson---- he suffered this injury 2 years ago---- hes in the Pro Bowl this year.....

Tatonka
02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
i just read his interview on bb.com.

the guy is the type of player we want representing the bills. he lives, eats, and breathes buffalo bills football.

i am glad he is around and he is exactly the type of guy marv loves.

dont kid yourself. he could have gone somewhere else for sure. he is a valuable special teams guy..

and people will discount the fact that he could actually make a contribution on defense. the guy was skilled enough at LB to get drafted in the 3rd round. he can play. i just dont know that anyone has found the right spot for him. the guy has been bounced around from position to position every single season. no wonder he hasnt shown a lot of progress.

i have always liked the kid.. not in coverage necessarily, but i like the kid.

The_Philster
02-05-2007, 05:56 PM

He's no Steve Tasker or Mark Pike, but he's valuable.agreed. People discount the special teams contributions of players way too easily. Josh Stamer, for example..went down and wasn't thought of by the fans. But I'll tell you one thing...Bobby April missed him

i have always liked the kid.. not in coverage necessarily, but i like the kid.ditto...he's good on special teams and barely a stop gap at S..but the special teams contributions and his character are key...comes across as a pretty good guy, IMO

JoeMama
02-05-2007, 05:59 PM
agreed. People discount the special teams contributions of players way too easily. Josh Stamer, for example..went down and wasn't thought of by the fans. But I'll tell you one thing...Bobby April missed him

You're not alone, Phil.

Josh Stamer is not only a capable backup at OLB, but a good special teamer too.

I really like him on kickoff coverage.

Plus, he's easy to recognize. He's got all those tattoos.

SABURZFAN
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM

:bf1:

best news i've heard all day.

BILLSROCK1212
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
i like this resigning.....it adds some depth to the roster

G. Host
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Coy Wire.

as per V Coach

I hope......

Patrick does not land on anyone.

jimmifli
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM

He's no Steve Tasker or Mark Pike, but he's valuable.
No but his teams have been better.

He's been the captain of a NFL special-teams dynasty. They've been too good for too long for Wire to get forgotten.

"Pay the man his money" ~ Teddy KGB

Talk0fNewYork
02-05-2007, 10:03 PM
With Wire, Stamer, Bowen, Haggan, (Hopefully) Davis we'll be the top ST in the league AGAIN!:gobills:

Great Signing!

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2007, 03:57 AM
I like this signing because I like Wire a lot more as a LB than as a safety (I would have had some serious reservations if he was coming back as a safety). There's no question that he is a top ST guy and, at LB, I think he has a chance to make a decent contribution instead of being the liability that he was as a safety.

What I found interesting were his comments about really wanting to re-sign with the Bills because of the positive attitude and direction that they are going in now. We've heard some of that before from the media and observers, but, when guys like Wire say that and are willing to put money and their careers on the line, that's the kind of thing that gets around and can help make the Bills more attractive to free agents from other teams (as well as their own).

I hope he will have a great time playing for the Buffalo Bills over the rest of his contract and that he will play well for them not just on STs, but at his new position as well.

clumping platelets
02-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Good move :up:

jamze132
02-06-2007, 07:48 AM
There is no glaring need at DE if we can re-sign Kelsay, which shouldn't be much of a problem. Didn't he and Denney have 11.5 sacks this year? To go along with Schobel, I will take that any day.

jamze132
02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I like the Coy Wire signing. I am not sold on him at LB yet, but he invaluable on ST.

I just keep seeing that last play of our home opener a couple of years ago when Leftwich threw that pass to the back of the endzone and right through Wire. For some reason, it still hurts.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 08:26 AM
the part on espn about him being able to compete for a lb spot scares me. If they think its TKO, Crowell, and ellison/wire we are flat screwed

Talk0fNewYork
02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
I like the Coy Wire signing. I am not sold on him at LB yet, but he invaluable on ST.

I just keep seeing that last play of our home opener a couple of years ago when Leftwich threw that pass to the back of the endzone and right through Wire. For some reason, it still hurts.
Spikes was there not doing **** also!

DraftBoy
02-06-2007, 08:33 AM
There is no glaring need at DE if we can re-sign Kelsay, which shouldn't be much of a problem. Didn't he and Denney have 11.5 sacks this year? To go along with Schobel, I will take that any day.

If I was only concerned with our pass rush Id agree but against the run both Kelsay and Denney struggle, which is why we get burned on the outside for a bigger ypc avg then when teams try and run between the tackles. We have to get a DE who can play the run.

G. Host
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I have no problem signing Wire again but neither Haggan or Stamer have been able to play on field very much. We need some backup LBs who can play ST and defense.

jamze132
02-07-2007, 07:02 AM
If I was only concerned with our pass rush Id agree but against the run both Kelsay and Denney struggle, which is why we get burned on the outside for a bigger ypc avg then when teams try and run between the tackles. We have to get a DE who can play the run.
I will agree with that, but I think they can be better taught to defend both the pass and the run. But let's be honest, there aren't many DEs in the NFL that are very good at defending the run AND the pass.

I think the biggest factor in us stopping the run next season will be the DTs. I am interested to see what McCargo can do throughout an entire season.