PDA

View Full Version : Phins Owner Making Waves

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Dolphins | Owner will not accept rookie holdouts
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 08:47:16 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga says any 2007 rookie who holds out during training camp should be prepared to sit out the entire season. ''I'm telling you - mark my words - if that guy is not in camp on the first day, he will sit out for the year,'' Huizenga said. "The Dolphins are going to take a stand. We are not going to pay some guy a whole bunch of money and he comes in five weeks late...That is not going to happen. We went through a couple of times where the guys are not in camp and not as productive as they should be the first three, four, five games. I am not going to go through that again...I'm not taking a shot at any player or agent.''

Interesting stance here, good or bad? Discuss!

Ingtar33
02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
about time someone took a stand. once the 1st player is signed, the rest of the contracts are pretty much decided.

Anyone who holds out now days is basically squabbling over 20k per year.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I am 100% in agreeance with him and hope marv and ralph take the same position.

DynaPaul
02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Hear that McGahee?

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Hear that McGahee? Wayne is saying draft picks mainly but I agree it needs to go to veterans as well.

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree to a point. If they are a day or two late it shouldn't be a big deal. Once it gets into being weeks late it is a problem.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I agree to a point. If they are a day or two late it shouldn't be a big deal. Once it gets into being weeks late it is a problem.

That is where I disagree. The placement for salary is slotted per where you are picked. The amount of SB etc is basically as well. If your agent feels you need 40 mill in SB and guarantees vs 26 for the guy in the same spot before you and the same position...you get to sit and I don't blame him.

OpIv37
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
normally I think Huizenga's a scumbag but I like this move. These rookies haven't played a single down of NFL football, the team just took a gamble by drafting them and they're instantly demanding money from the same team? Sounds almost like extortion to me. Someone needs to put these damn rookies in their place and let them know that they're not worth a damn thing until they prove themselves on Sundays.

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
about time someone took a stand. once the 1st player is signed, the rest of the contracts are pretty much decided.

Anyone who holds out now days is basically squabbling over 20k per year.

Often the hold out is due to contract length, not bonus or salary.

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Often the hold out is due to contract length, not bonus or salary. Then they sit. Its time for teams to stand firm and get 5-6 years out of a guy instead of him just getting good then running off to someone else.

Jeff1220
02-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Wow - I'm in total agreement with what the Fins are doing here? What the...? I need to go outside and get some air.

YardRat
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Whether or not it's a good or bad move remains to be see. Is he going to offer fair contracts to the rookies, or take a low-ball approach? Will this make rookies, and possibly some FA's, wary of going to Miami?

Besides...Actions speak louder than words...Huizenga just drew a line in the sand, let's see if has the balls to back it up.

mysticsoto
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM

I disagree. If you got a new job, would/could you show up to work a day or two late???

No way. You are getting paid in the millions. STFU and get in to TC and get ready to do your job!

LtFinFan66
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Good move Wayne. Hopefully you stick to it

ICE74129
02-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Whether or not it's a good or bad move remains to be see. Is he going to offer fair contracts to the rookies, or take a low-ball approach? Will this make rookies, and possibly some FA's, wary of going to Miami?

Besides...Actions speak louder than words...Huizenga just drew a line in the sand, let's see if has the balls to back it up.

Wayne can't low ball them the pay is pretty much slotted. I pray he and other owners back it up.

YardRat
02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Wayne can't low ball them the pay is pretty much slotted. I pray he and other owners back it up.

Overall contract dollars are, pretty much...Not so much with length, bonuses, etc.

Huizenga could theoretically match dollars but not length and lowball a guy. For example...If a player is 'slotted' at $20mil over five years (a $4mil average), yet Wayne insists on $24mil over six, take it or leave it, is that low-balling the guy?

RockStar36
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I disagree. If you got a new job, would/could you show up to work a day or two late???

No way. You are getting paid in the millions. STFU and get in to TC and get ready to do your job!

Would I show up a day or two late?

Nope.

Then again, I'm not a self centered athlete.

Voltron
02-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Well you may be able to if you are in a union as strong as the NFLPA!

Dr. Lecter
02-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Does the job start before you agree to terms?

jimmifli
02-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Why even have a draft? With the salary cap and rookie cap it's stupid. Players should be free to sign with whoever they want.

But since a player is forced to go to a team that he didn't get to choose, his only negotiating power is the holdout. Takeaway exclusive rights and nobody would ever holdout.

DraftBoy
02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Does the job start before you agree to terms?

Id be in agreement if we were discussing FA terms, but its not just signing a contract, its the fact that you essentially entered into an open ended contract with whoever picks you, and your right (to play, to negotiate with somebody else) are held in escrow until you sign your deal to get payed to play. So Im not sure exactly how this works out with the union and such and the labor agreements.

!Papacrunk!
02-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, it's cool that he's taking a stand, but I'll believe it when I see it. On the other hand, it'd be cool if the situation never has to come to fruition.

dolphan117
02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Problem is what agent is going to believe he is serious unless he actually does it? And if he does wouldn't he be an idiot for not allowing the 9th pick in the draft to play at all during his rookie year?

kgun12
02-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Dolphins | Owner will not accept rookie holdouts
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 08:47:16 -0800

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga says any 2007 rookie who holds out during training camp should be prepared to sit out the entire season. ''I'm telling you - mark my words - if that guy is not in camp on the first day, he will sit out for the year,'' Huizenga said. "The Dolphins are going to take a stand. We are not going to pay some guy a whole bunch of money and he comes in five weeks late...That is not going to happen. We went through a couple of times where the guys are not in camp and not as productive as they should be the first three, four, five games. I am not going to go through that again...I'm not taking a shot at any player or agent.''

Interesting stance here, good or bad? Discuss!

Good! :clap:

Michael82
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Excellent idea! I hope he sticks to his guns and Marv Levy follows suit. :pray:

B-DON
02-06-2007, 10:02 PM
How funny would it be if all of their 1st day picks held out. I would laugh so hard

Throne Logic
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Isn't there some provision in the rules that says something to the fact that if a drafted rookie is not signed by November (or some such date) that the drafting team looses rights to that player and they go back into the draft pool for the following year?

Voltron
02-06-2007, 11:36 PM
How funny would it be if all of their 1st day picks held out. I would laugh so hard

I wouldn't find it funny in the least because if they have something like that happen, it will spread around the league very fast considering there are a heck of a lot more players then Agents! The same agent for someone picked by Miami may be the same one for a player the Bills pick ... Drew Rosenhaus anyone?!?!

LifetimeBillsFan
02-07-2007, 03:53 AM
Wow - I'm in total agreement with what the Fins are doing here? What the...? I need to go outside and get some air.

Me, too!

If all of the teams took such an approach, it would add an urgency to getting draft picks signed on time. Agents know now that they can push things past the opening of training camp, so they all end up playing "chicken" with one another, waiting to see who is going to be the first one to sign in a particular area of the round so that they can get a little more for their client. The players all know that they have a limited "shelf life" in the NFL, so nobody really wants to sit out the whole year and lose that money. Also, guys want to play, not sit on the bench knowing that they are never going to get into games because their agent was playign "chicken" with the other agents and didn't leave himself enough time to get a deal worked out with the team.

Throne Logic
02-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I'd like to repeat my question from above. Don't teams loose rights to draftees if they are not signed by a certain date?

This would basically make this an empty threat.

dolphan117
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I'd like to repeat my question from above. Don't teams loose rights to draftees if they are not signed by a certain date?

This would basically make this an empty threat.You are correct, they hold the players rights for almost one year, if the team that drafted them cant complete a deal they are free to enter the draft the following year and try it all over. I guess if the player holds out during camp we could still sign him and then tell the coach that the guy gets to practice all year but not play..... But if we did that you know the players union would fight it.

The problem I see with this is that no agent is going to take it seriously unless he actually does it. And as much as its a nice stance would it really make sense to bench the 9th pick in the draft for his entire rookie year just to make a point?

Dr. Lecter
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
They lose the rights at the end of the season I think.

dolphan117
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I guess its the kind of thing most fans would love to see happen......... Just not to their team. Let some other team make a guy miss his whole first year and then say "We will do that too!" I just dont want to be that team that is without its top rookie for the season.

DraftBoy
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I guess its the kind of thing most fans would love to see happen......... Just not to their team. Let some other team make a guy miss his whole first year and then say "We will do that too!" I just dont want to be that team that is without its top rookie for the season.

Better not take a Rosenass or Scott Boras client at 9