PDA

View Full Version : You know who i am happy for

tat2dmike77
02-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Bill Polian. This guy deserves it he has taken 2 franchises and turned them from laughingstocks to winners. In all the hoopla of tony dungy and peyton manning one guy quietly assemble the team. I say congrats to bill he deserves one.

Goobylal
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Too bad he gave out overpriced contracts to guys like Kelso and Wright and let guys like Wolford go, and didn't build a stronger defense.

YardRat
02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Butler was the GM that 'let Wolford go', not Polian.

Throne Logic
02-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Didn't he have something to do with Carolina's rapid growth, too?

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Butler was the GM that 'let Wolford go', not Polian.

you are both WRONG!

Wolford was made an unrealistic contract with un realistic provisions in it. Due to that we had to let him go. BUT the NFL the next year put in safeguards against such wordings in contracts, but we still got screwed.

I believe the bills took this issue before an arbitrator and lost.

BP didn't 'let him go' indy got away with one. And BTW Butler wasn't the GM till later.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Didn't he have something to do with Carolina's rapid growth, too?

He was their very first GM and built a team that went to the NFC championship at Green Bay their 2nd season in existance.

jamze132
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Polian was the man, now it's Levy's turn to get his ring.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
BP didn't 'let him go' indy got away with one. And BTW Butler wasn't the GM till later.

Wasn't Butler the GM immediately after BP was fired?

Don't Panic
02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Regardless, congrats to Polian. He was the architect of our team and deserves a ton of the credit for giving us our only Golden Era. I was pulling for the Colts on Sunday just so he could get his ring. Glad to see he got it.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Wasn't Butler the GM immediately after BP was fired? yes but the wolford incident happend right after FA first started (92 or 93 I believe) and Polian threw an absolute fit over the deal. He was still GM when that happened

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm to young to remember. From what I read though Wolford left after the 3rd SB and Polian was fired immediately after the 3rd SB.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll say it again and stand by it, the FACTS are there. Before polian (outside of the two afl championships) this team did NOTHING.

Since polian....We have done nothing.

Polian built the 4x sb bills, Build carolina into an NFC contender in its 2nd year and what he has done in indy speaks for its self.

Firing BP was hands down the worst move ralph ever made as owner.

ICE74129
02-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm to young to remember. From what I read though Wolford left after the 3rd SB and Polian was fired immediately after the 3rd SB.

I just seem to remember Polian throwing holy hell about it. It became the 'wolford rule' the very next offseason.

RockStar36
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I agree that firing BP was a horrible move. I always get the vibe that Ralph is a "my way or the highway" type of owner and lets his own ego get in the way of hiring/firing decisions.

JoeMama
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Bills Polian must think to himself - Damn I'm good - everything he looks in the mirror.

He chose Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf in 1998.

He chose Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams in 1999.

He "reached" on Dwight Freeney in 2002.

He's one of the best evaluators of talent out there.

Kerr
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Bills Polian must think to himself - Damn I'm good - everything he looks in the mirror.

He chose Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf in 1998.

He chose Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams in 1999.

He "reached" on Dwight Freeney in 2002.

He's one of the best evaluators of talent out there.

He also let Edge go for a backup running back(dominic rhodes) and rookie rb(Joe Addai). I figured that would be a problem for this colts offense going into the season, but they proved me wrong. Their offense didn't really miss a beat. Polian is the man.

YardRat
02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
you are both WRONG!

Wolford was made an unrealistic contract with un realistic provisions in it. Due to that we had to let him go. BUT the NFL the next year put in safeguards against such wordings in contracts, but we still got screwed.

I have to disagree with you on this one Ice, considering I spoke to John Butler personally about the Wolford contract situation in mid-stream, Carlton Bailey, and a couple of other topics.

Polian was fired in early February, right after the Super Bowl... Wolford signed with Indy in late March.

John Butler was the GM.

YardRat
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
BTW Ice...Just in case you don't want to take my word for it and need facts...

http://www.buffalobills.com/history/February.jsp

February 4, 1993 -- RALPH WILSON RESTRUCTURES BILLS ORGANIZATION
GM Bill Polian was released from his contract with the Bills, as owner Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. began to restructure the front office.

February 5, 1993 -- JOHN BUTLER PROMOTED TO BILLS' GM
Bills Director of Player Personnel John Butler was promoted to executive vice president and general manager by owner Ralph C. Wilson, Jr.

http://www.buffalobills.com/history/March.jsp

March 31, 1993 -- OT WILL WOLFORD LEAVES BILLS FOR COLTS
OT Will Wolford signed a $7.65 million, 3-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts. After several complaints to the NFL by the Bills the contract was ruled valid and Wolford left Buffalo.

TigerJ
02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
you are both WRONG!

Yup! The Bills got screwed on that one.

TigerJ
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Pete Metzelaars got his Super Bowl ring too. I assume assistant coaches get rings at least.