PDA

View Full Version : Remember this DT name!!!!

X-Era
02-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Hes off the radar screen right now but Corey Simon is likely NOT to be a Colt next year.

Hes reportedly fine, hes having a formal grievance with the Colts over his pay after they put him on IR, and the Colts signed McFarland to take his place.

He plays the Tampa 2, was a previous pro-bowler, and even played next to Tripplett.

Heres a blurb from Indy Star:

Some players under contract could be released. It might be difficult to keep wide receiver Brandon Stokley, who finished the season on the injured-reserve list with a ruptured Achilles tendon. He's due a $500,000 roster bonus in March and a $2.1 million base salary. Also, the team must decide if it's worth further investment in defensive tackle Corey Simon, who missed the entire season with a knee injury and an undisclosed illness. The odds are against his return.

If he can return to form, hes a stud.

Mr. Pink
02-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Corey Simon would be a nice addition at DT.

A big body who understands the system and who can stop the run. Also judging by his recent history he shouldn't command a lot of money and has the potential to be a significant upgrade.

I'd be all for this signing.

TigerJ
02-07-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm a little leery. He'll be 30 this season and even discounting last season with his injury/illness, his production has been steadily declining. His rookie year was his best statistically. I'd want to look nto the reasons for that before I dumped a lot of money his way.

HHURRICANE
02-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Any guy who misses a year of football for undisclosed reasons is not anybody I want on this team. It was certainly something psychological or dependancy related with means no seocnd chance here. I think Ricky Williams is a perfect case of crazy, high, or both.

Talk0fNewYork
02-07-2007, 08:10 AM
If he stays healthy, i'm all for it.

OpIv37
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
probably not the long-term answer, but given the lack of DT's available, it seems like an inexpensive way to improve our DT situation for a year or two until we can find someone in the draft or get a better FA. Count me in.

User Manuel
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
It depends on the knee. I thought he had microfractures in the knee and then some weird infection. could be wrong though.

When healthy he is exactly what we need.

I would look at Simon kind of like when we tried Marcus Jones a few years ago. Bring him in with an incentive laden contract, with makeable incentives and big money for above average play, for 1 year. If he pans out great if not. Oh well.

Saratoga Slim
02-07-2007, 08:55 AM
probably not the long-term answer, but given the lack of DT's available, it seems like an inexpensive way to improve our DT situation for a year or two until we can find someone in the draft or get a better FA. Count me in.

Exactly. And given Kyle Williams' potential, we don't necessarily need an every-down stud.

If we had not invested in three DTs last offseason, I'd be all over Okoye or Branch. But since we did, a rotational FA may be the way to upgrade. Yet I will not at all complain if we do draft Branch or Okoye, as both look like pretty solid players.

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Hell NE drafted something like 3 DT's in a 5 year span..seems to have worked for them.

I say we take the kid from Louisville and make him our LDE instead of our 3 gap tech. I'd like to see right tackles deal with this cat every down :dance:

SaintRochester
02-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Hell NE drafted something like 3 DT's in a 5 year span..seems to have worked for them.

I say we take the kid from Louisville and make him our LDE instead of our 3 gap tech. I'd like to see right tackles deal with this cat every down :dance:

right now based soley on his build at the senior bowl,it wouldnt be a bad idea. once you factor in his 40 time, the fact that hes 19 years old and has the build structure to potentionally reach 325lbs probably not a good idea. (still developing)but then again it wouldnt be the first time a college has mis-diagnosed a players position

chernobylwraiths
02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm sure Simon will command a high price tag if released.

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 11:38 AM
If the price was right, I wouldnt mind Simon at all.

JoeMama
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Exactly. And given Kyle Williams' potential, we don't necessarily need an every-down stud.

I agree.

One concept that Wade Phillips stressed back when our run defense was elite in the late 1990's was that you need to rotate "fresh" defensive linemen constantly to get the best results against the run.

He interchanged Ted Washington, Pat Williams, Sean Moran, and Shawn Price very effectively. Obviously Ted Washington and Pat Williams were much better than anyone we have, or even Corey Simon for that matter. But I imagine a rotation that consists of Corey Simon, Larry Tripplett, and Kyle Williams could be fairly effective. Probably not top 10, but at the very worst, a significant upgrade from 2006.

ParanoidAndroid
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
And McCargo

JoeMama
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
And McCargo

Thanks.

I knew I was leaving someone out of the mix.

He actually came on a little bit right before his injury too.