PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's Latest Top Ten

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone catch ESPN last night? I saw Mel Kiper's latest Top Ten mock draftboard. NOw of course it's February, so who the hell knows.. But like him or not, I put more stock into what Kiper says than anyone else out there.
INCREDIBLY, He has Brady Quinn falling all the way down to number.. Nine.. Yes, he has Quinn going to Miami.

anyway, his latest top 10..

1- Raiders- Jamarcus Russell, QB
2- Detroit- Joe Thomas, OT
3- Cleveland- Adrain Peterson, RB
4- TB- Calvin Johnson, WR
5- Arizona- Gaines Adams, DE
6- Washington- Jamaal Anderson, DE
7- Minnesota- Ted Ginn JR, WR
8- HOuston- Levi Brown, OT
9- Miami- Brady Quinn, QB
10- Atlanta- LaRon Laundry.

I thought this was really interesting.. If he happened to be entirely right, only SF would pick before us at #12. Both Branch and Okoye would be on the board, as well as Jarrett.

For my preference PERSONALLY in this circumstance: I'd take Jarrett. He is a good route runner, has good hands, and is really big. His weakness is a lack of speed. To me, he'd be the PERFECT complimentary WR to Evans for Losman.

I just can't see the Bills going DT in round one after giving Tripplett all that money last year, drafting McCargo in round one and the surprise play of Kyle Williams.

mysticsoto
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Anyone catch ESPN last night? I saw Mel Kiper's latest Top Ten mock draftboard. NOw of course it's February, so who the hell knows.. But like him or not, I put more stock into what Kiper says than anyone else out there.
INCREDIBLY, He has Brady Quinn falling all the way down to number.. Nine.. Yes, he has Quinn going to Miami.

I thought this was really interesting.. If he happened to be entirely right, only SF would pick before us at #12. Both Branch and Okoye would be on the board, as well as Jarrett.

For my preference PERSONALLY in this circumstance: I'd take Jarrett. He is a good route runner, has good hands, and is really big. His weakness is a lack of speed. To me, he'd be the PERFECT complimentary WR to Evans for Losman.

I just can't see the Bills going DT in round one after giving Tripplett all that money last year, drafting McCargo in round one and the surprise play of Kyle Williams.

Hmmm...I think I take Branch. If he does indeed have the speed that everyone else is saying he does and at that size - I have to grab him as he should definitely be able to command double teams. I know LTBF has mentioned that he's never played the one-gap position before, but I'd have to believe that he can pick it up with his physical attributes. There is no way I can just let him slide by when our run D was as horrendous as it was last year!!!

Talk0fNewYork
02-07-2007, 08:08 AM

i agree perfectly, and if Jarrett is not there, i say go with Lynch

Dr. Lecter
02-07-2007, 08:09 AM
I agree Mystic. If Branch is there, the Bills need to grab him fast!

TacklingDummy
02-07-2007, 08:18 AM

I seen a couple mock drafts that had Quinn falling to Miami.

Why would Miami pick Quinn when they just traded for Culpepper? Makes no sense to me.

If Quinn falls to Miami and Miami doesn't pick him, I doubt Atlanta or San Fran will pick Quinn ahead of the Bills. What an interesting situation that would be.

RedEyE
02-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I actually like Ted Ginn jr. over Calvin Johnson.

DraftBoy
02-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Id go with Jarrett and then Branch

RedEyE
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Id go with Jarrett and then Branch

Same here. I think the pros under estimate Jarrett's ablities.

HHURRICANE
02-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I've said this all along. This is one of these years where being #12 is a great position to be in. You are not paying top 10 money and you may end up with one of the best players in the draft. Branch, Jarrett, or Okoye are all fine by me!!

HHURRICANE
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Why would Miami pick Quinn when they just traded for Culpepper? Makes no sense to me.

If Quinn falls to Miami and Miami doesn't pick him, I doubt Atlanta or San Fran will pick Quinn ahead of the Bills. What an interesting situation that would be.

Yeah, real interesting. We passed on Cutler and Leinart as well. So what? You need to go find another team because JP is going to be the starter for a while. Last I looked he wasn't on the field when our D was getting run over.

bigbub2352
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I wrote an article about this very cicumstance patmoran2006, i think Jarrett would be an ideal pick and give us the weapon we sorely need at WR, his lack of speed doesnt concern me cause we have burners in Evans, Parrish, Davis if resigned, and Price, Branch i would luv i am a huge Michigan fan, but he is known to take plays off and i agree with what u say about the McCargo, Williams pick and signing of Triplett, i think they might go after Ian Scott for the Bears in FA. we will see but i hope it goes this way

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes, I agree with Jarrett for the following copy cat league scenario,

Harrison-Wayne
Johnson-Whosyourmomma
Evans-Jarrett I like it Throw in Parrish and Price, hmmm Would love to see a FA guard!

HHURRICANE
02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I wrote an article about this very cicumstance patmoran2006, i think Jarrett would be an ideal pick and give us the weapon we sorely need at WR, his lack of speed doesnt concern me cause we have burners in Evans, Parrish, Davis if resigned, and Price, Branch i would luv i am a huge Michigan fan, but he is known to take plays off and i agree with what u say about the McCargo, Williams pick and signing of Triplett, i think they might go after Ian Scott for the Bears in FA. we will see but i hope it goes this way

I already pos repped you for your post.

I have just one question. Price is getting paid as a #2. He's really a waste of a roster spot if we sign Jarrett. That's too many WR's on the team. So who is going?

Don't Panic
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
This doesn't make sense to me... I mean, maybe one or two of Detroit, Cleveland, TB, Houston and Minnesota pass on Quinn, but all 5? And Miami, with investments in Culpepper and Harrington, takes him at #9? I know Leinart slipped last year, but Quinn is not Leinart. Nothing is 100% but I highly doubt he slides to #9.

TigerJ
02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Jarrett is no burner, but he is faster than say Anquan Boldin who's had some success in the league, and he's both faster and bigger than the other "big receiver" on Buffalo's roster, Sam Aiken. Not to mention being light years better as a receiver.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 09:19 AM
8. Reggie Wayne, Miami (Fla.) -- Ranks as the most skilled route-runner in the draft and also has the strongest hands of any wideout on the board. The only reason he'll likely drop into the late first or early second round is due to his less-than-spectacular 40 time of 4.56 to 4.59. With Wayne, however, he plays faster than he times. It's always important to remember that we're looking for football players, not track stars.

Sounds alot like Jarrett????????

TacklingDummy
02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah, real interesting. We passed on Cutler and Leinart as well. So what? You need to go find another team because JP is going to be the starter for a while. Last I looked he wasn't on the field when our D was getting run over.

I don't want to be accused of thread hijacking so this will be my last reply in here.

Mistake 1... Leinart
Mistake 2...Cutler
Mistake 3....would be passing on Quinn if he was there for the Bills to pick. Marv is looking for his Jim Kelly. Brady Quinn just might be that. I doubt Quinn will be there.

You're right JP wasn't on the field when the run D was getting run over. He was on the sidelines after going 3 and out numerous times.

bigbub2352
02-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I think with the inflation of salaries in the league, if Peerless were to be paid his salary as a 3 spot, he would be ok, the guy bein overpaid on this roster is ****ing useless Josh Reed, i really hope he is gone if we do draft a WR at 12, but u can also say that peerless is slightly overpaid as well HH, we need size at WR, no if ands or buts about it, if not addressed at 12 does anoyone think Drew Bennett in FA, or Jeff Szmardjah from Notre Dame would fall to round 2?

TacklingDummy
02-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Jeff Szmardjah from Notre Dame would fall to round 2?

He signed with the Cubs to play baseball.

Someone will use a 6th or 7th rounder on him.

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Here's I feel personally.
I like the thought of jarrett as the pick. I think he'd be a great fit, and also a huge benefit to both Losman and Evans. Could you imagine how much more dangerous this offense would be on top of this if they actually signed a TE in Free Agency (graham, johnson) who is a receiving threat? I don't take Lynch, I think you live with Willis/Thomas for one more year.

However, Im' not sure Marv would take Jarrett even if he were on the board. He paid out decent signing bonuses to both Price and Reed, and he'd obviously have to cut at least one of them as only a ****** would pay a $2 million+ salary to a 4th WR (actually 5th cause we have Parrish).

At the end of the day if he's on the board, like it or not I think levi Brown would be the pick, as Marv will be more committed to the OL this year. And although he played decent, I dont see how people could say Terrence Pennington is the long term starter at RT.

I think both Okoye and Branch are talented, but I dont think we'll take either in them as again I think we've invested heavily at DT in the past year already. Plus, I dont think personally either will be on the board.
Patrick Willis is also still an option, assuming we lose Fletcher and don't sign a formidable replacement in free agency.

So personally I think our draft pick comes down to three people: Jarrett, Brown or Willis-- and it should be a lot clearer after FA starts.
As for Brady Quinn, I dont see him dropping to 8.. I still think that Detroit is going to take him #2, though the temptation to grab OT Thomas will be there. Not only is Quinn "potentially" a great pro QB, he is also a great marketing tool for a team (detroit) that needs SOMEONE for their fans to hang their hat on.. And if Quinn didn't go #2 I think Cleveland would have a real tough time passing him up (Id like Funtimesyay's thoughts on this).

Regardless, I dont think he lasts until Miami, and that's good.. I dont want to see him twice per year.

And lastly for Quinn and the Bills.. He aint gonna be there, and even if he was, we wouldn't take him. The Bills SHOULD be contending next year IF the front office makes great moves in the offseason.. Drafting a rookie QB is only going to further delay the process.. and Losman didnt show me much over the last 7 or so games to show me that we NEED a new quarterback. After being a "problem" much of his early career, he clearly became one of the "solutions" in the second half of the season.

DraftBoy
02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I hate to admit it but I fear Levi Brown may be the pick also but I pray we dont take him.

Night Train
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I hate to admit it but I fear Levi Brown may be the pick also but I pray we dont take him.

I've read a couple scouts stating they wonder if he'll get moved inside to Guard. Afraid he might not be able to handle the edge speed rushers too well. Inside, the concern of average feet wouldn't be much of a factor. They figure he could dominate at Guard.

It will be interesting to see how he's used over the long haul.

EDS
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I think with the inflation of salaries in the league, if Peerless were to be paid his salary as a 3 spot, he would be ok, the guy bein overpaid on this roster is ****ing useless Josh Reed, i really hope he is gone if we do draft a WR at 12, but u can also say that peerless is slightly overpaid as well HH, we need size at WR, no if ands or buts about it, if not addressed at 12 does anoyone think Drew Bennett in FA, or Jeff Szmardjah from Notre Dame would fall to round 2?

I think Reed is better then Price.

camelcowboy
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Because culpepper sucks

TacklingDummy
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Because culpepper sucks

I agree. But I can't see Miami wasting everything they invested in him until they seen what he can do healthy.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
However, Im' not sure Marv would take Jarrett even if he were on the board. He paid out decent signing bonuses to both Price and Reed, and he'd obviously have to cut at least one of them as only a ****** would pay a $2 million+ salary to a 4th WR (actually 5th cause we have Parrish).

We paid alot for Mike Williams and he is gone
We paid alot for Milloy, GONE
and some others, anyways

We build a team that is like INDY, Evans and Jarret=Harrision and Wayne
with Parrish, Price, Reed and Aiken or someone!

As Far as Pennington not being the answer, I ask you why? Everyone loves J Peters and yet in 2005 he had only started 10 Games, Pennington has started 9! Let's see if he and or Butler develope! Guard is more of an issue We need 2 of them I think the team can do well with 1 if they resign Gandy.

camelcowboy
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree. But I can't see Miami wasting everything they invested in him until they seen what he can do healthy.

You never know with new coaching staffs they may decide to clean house. Cameron didn't trade for culpepper, saban did. Just a thought

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 11:37 AM

We paid alot for Mike Williams and he is gone
We paid alot for Milloy, GONE
and some others, anyways

We build a team that is like INDY, Evans and Jarret=Harrision and Wayne
with Parrish, Price, Reed and Aiken or someone!

As Far as Pennington not being the answer, I ask you why? Everyone loves J Peters and yet in 2005 he had only started 10 Games, Pennington has started 9! Let's see if he and or Butler develope! Guard is more of an issue We need 2 of them I think the team can do well with 1 if they resign Gandy.
I never said Pennington WASNT the answer: I said by no means should he already be deemed the answer..

Our OL may have gotten better; but it is still MEDIOCRE at best right now.. It needs improvements.. FA, draft I dont care.. We need upgrades still at RG and maybe RT..

And every guy you mentioned that is gone, they were around for more than one year.. I was just saying if we draft Jarrett then either Reed and/or Price are gone.

I said in the first thread that I would like the pick to be jarrett too. My concern was that Marv may think its not as high a priority as some fans do.

don137
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
If you look at Marv's past as a coach and GM his first round pick he seems to tend not roll the dice and take a player that is not risky and almost a sure thing as far as being an impact player...OT, DL and QBs fall into the category of positions that seem to be most risky when it comes to making it to the next level after college...I also think Marv loves having 2 play makers at WR...I could definitely see them go WR, RB, LB or DB (depending on Clements) in round one with WR as the most likely scenerio...

kernowboy
02-07-2007, 12:51 PM
We have a clear need on the team and that is MLB

If we look at the LB corps, three things have occured

Fletcher-Baker is gone = vacancy
Crowell - coming back from injury.. ok it was a broken bone rather than ligaments but in soccer and rugby, broken bones can often cuase subsequent problems due to an inherent fracture point weakness
TKO - didn't play as well as before injury, still feeling his way back and might never make it all the way, and coming towards the end of the contract.

Our entire LB corps from last year will be either gone, or recovering from injury or are feeling their way back from injury.

The best FA LB (allegedly) in Briggs is likely to be franchised as possibly will be Thomas

Even if we can sign a 2nd tier like Napolean Harris or Boss Bailey, a LB particularly if we trade down will be the conservative yet sensible choice.

A RG can be picked up in FA, its the one area of depth

A WR like Rice or Meacham could still be around in R2

There are far superior RB and DT classes next year. Even though Marv wants to win now, he will realise we won't be in SuperBowl 31 next year and he won't want to overpay for players when there will be more quality next year.

I reckon Willis, Timmons or Posluzny after trading down and get an extra Day1 pick is of serious merit

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
We have a clear need on the team and that is MLB

If we look at the LB corps, three things have occured

Fletcher-Baker is gone = vacancy
Crowell - coming back from injury.. ok it was a broken bone rather than ligaments but in soccer and rugby, broken bones can often cuase subsequent problems due to an inherent fracture point weakness
TKO - didn't play as well as before injury, still feeling his way back and might never make it all the way, and coming towards the end of the contract.

Our entire LB corps from last year will be either gone, or recovering from injury or are feeling their way back from injury.

The best FA LB (allegedly) in Briggs is likely to be franchised as possibly will be Thomas

Even if we can sign a 2nd tier like Napolean Harris or Boss Bailey, a LB particularly if we trade down will be the conservative yet sensible choice.

A RG can be picked up in FA, its the one area of depth

A WR like Rice or Meacham could still be around in R2

There are far superior RB and DT classes next year. Even though Marv wants to win now, he will realise we won't be in SuperBowl 31 next year and he won't want to overpay for players when there will be more quality next year.

I reckon Willis, Timmons or Posluzny after trading down and get an extra Day1 pick is of serious merit

Trading down where, to far and Willis could be gone, Timmons could still be had in the 20's so that is good, Pos no way, he would be Idea as an ILB in a 3-4 D.

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I like Lynch but I dont think Levy is going to waste a #12 on a RB..

ParanoidAndroid
02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
St. Louis will be happy to see Quinn fall. He will not be our pick and he will not be St. Louis' pick, but a team might be offering to trade up with the Rams to jump in front of Carolina who have soured on Delhomme.
I can't think of any trade bait available that would inspire a team to trade with us to jump ahead of the Rams. The best defensive player still on the board according to Kiper would be Okoye unless the Niners grabbed him. The Rams need help everywhere on defense, so do they have their eye on Okoye, Charles Johnson, Branch...? Those are the three that stick out as a possibility. Now, who else needs round 1 caliber D-line help? Bengals? Broncos? Jets?

LtFinFan66
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Fins should take Quinn if he is there at #9. Harrington will be gone and Quinn can groom behind Culpepper if Pep is healthy if not Quinn may start and Pep be gone while keeping Harrington around

Throne Logic
02-07-2007, 11:44 PM

I'd keep Reed over Price. Reed has been a solid 3rd down go to guy. I wouldn't call him a #2, but he serves a more useful purpose than Price who is also not a #2 WR.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-08-2007, 03:15 AM
When I look at the various mocks and draft scenarios that are out there and the quality of the players in this draft--where there a lot of solid prospects at the top of the draft, but not a small group of really dominant players guaranteed to go in the top 5-8 selections like in many years--I can't help thinking that, no matter what happens, the Bills are going to get themselves a pretty good player picking at the # 12 spot and may have a choice of a couple of pretty good players that they could use. There are a half a dozen players at different positions that I could see possibly being on the board if the Bills use the # 12 pick that I think would help them a lot and that I would be very happy to see them get.

But, as I've said before, I think a lot will depend on what happens early on in free agency. That could really narrow down what the Bills' most immediate needs will be going into the draft. But, even then, IMHO it is still going to be a very interesting and possibly surprising draft with the Bills being able to go in a number of different ways with their first round pick (including trading down).

Mr. Cynical
02-08-2007, 03:24 AM

IMO our #2 need is a big run stuffer.

IMO our #1 need is a OL who can block/open holes.

Trade up and grab Levi would be my preference.

jamze132
02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I've said it before and I will say it again, Kiper is a tool who doesn't know his head from his ass. ESPN could hire a freakin' monkey to fill out their draft board and it would look similar to Kiper's "masterpiece".

Tatonka
02-08-2007, 09:10 AM

it would be just like last year when i hoped we would trade down on so someone could take lienart.

i am pretty sure we could trade down if quinn was there.

Kerr
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I now see i'm not the only one who think ginn has a shot of landing in the top 10.

raphael120
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I never said Pennington WASNT the answer: I said by no means should he already be deemed the answer..

Our OL may have gotten better; but it is still MEDIOCRE at best right now.. It needs improvements.. FA, draft I dont care.. We need upgrades still at RG and maybe RT..

And every guy you mentioned that is gone, they were around for more than one year.. I was just saying if we draft Jarrett then either Reed and/or Price are gone.

I said in the first thread that I would like the pick to be jarrett too. My concern was that Marv may think its not as high a priority as some fans do.

im sure theyll bring in someone to compete in training camp for the RT, RG position...it would be nice if they only have one or two positions on the OL to address in the FA or draft. but that said, they def need a guard...but the thing is i would like them to go for starting talent, not depth. RG a priority.

alohabillsfan
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I like Lynch but I dont think Levy is going to waste a #12 on a RB..

I Agree, also Like draft boy said next year's RB class will be awesome, a ton of talented RB's! DB thanks for the heads up, I looked and was amazed!

Devin
02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I put more stock into what Kiper says than anyone else out there.

lol.