• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

What will it cost to re-sign Nate?

This thread is NOT about whether or not we should re-sign him- we've already discussed that issue ad nauseum. I just want to know about how much it would cost to re-sign him and what the cap implications of doing that would be.

Obviously there is no way to know exactly, but does anyone have a good estimate based on other CB's, franchise tenders, etc?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: What will it cost to re-sign Nate?

Well any kind of tender is out

Id assume take the highest paid CB and Nate will want a similar contract maybe above
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

7 Years 67 million
      15 Million SB means you still owe 52 million

1st year 4.5 million Cap # 6.6
      2nd year 5.5 million Cap # 7.6
      3rd year 6.5 million Cap # 8.6
      4th year 7.5 million Cap # 9.6
      5th year 8.5 million Cap # 10.6
      6th year 9.5 million Cap # 11.6
      7th year 10 million Cap #12.1

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

that seems like it's setting us up for a lot of dead cap when we cut him after the 4th or 5th year.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

Op champs contract is for 63 mil I believe. Given the nature of this years class of FA's, I think you will see Nate and potentially Samuel command upwards of 70+ mil. Perhaps even more. Snyder was rumored at one point to be willing to pay upwards of 80-90 mil.

Whether he is here or somewhere else, Nate will be the highest paid CB/Defensive player in the NFL.
          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
            that seems like it's setting us up for a lot of dead cap when we cut him after the 4th or 5th year.

The dead cap would be 2.1 per year he is cut prior to his completed contract so if he was cut year 5 his cap hit would be 6.3 million (2.1 million in remaining SB for year 5, 6, and 7) the salary is not dead cap. (at least that is how I understand it)!

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Guys you aren't looking at it correct. You do NOT give him a SIGNING bonus. You give him a 15 Mill ROSTER Bonus that goes 100% into the 07 cap.

This is what indy did with payton manning. They can cut, trade or whatever at any time and take NO cap hit. this means if clements craps out in say 3-4 years we cut his ass and suffer no dead cap. Also it LOWERS his cap per year overall without a prorated bonus being there.

I remember ESPN etal making a huge deal out of how genious Bill polian was about 2 years ago by doing that.

So give nate a 15 mill roster bonus with the league minimum for base salary this year and we still have over 20 mill to spend.

You know my feelings about There is no way in hell ANY CB is worth that much money, but the point is it CAN be done and not wreck our cap.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Devin

Whether he is here or somewhere else, Nate will be the highest paid CB/Defensive player in the NFL.
                and there is no way he deserves it.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                  Guys you aren't looking at it correct. You do NOT give him a SIGNING bonus. You give him a 15 Mill ROSTER Bonus that goes 100% into the 07 cap.

This is what indy did with payton manning. They can cut, trade or whatever at any time and take NO cap hit. this means if clements craps out in say 3-4 years we cut his ass and suffer no dead cap. Also it LOWERS his cap per year overall without a prorated bonus being there.

I remember ESPN etal making a huge deal out of how genious Bill polian was about 2 years ago by doing that.

So give nate a 15 mill roster bonus with the league minimum for base salary this year and we still have over 20 mill to spend.

You know my feelings about There is no way in hell ANY CB is worth that much money, but the point is it CAN be done and not wreck our cap.

ICE, I like it how about a 2 tier Roster bonus of 12 million and 3 million next year? Overall I like it!

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                    ICE, I ilke it how about a 2 tier Roster bonus of 12 million and 3 million next year? Overall I like it!
                    It can be done that way no problem I guess.

But I remember a couple years back Indy had all this cap room and that was how they kept manning. Amazing how great a GM ralphs ego fired huh?

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                      Op champs contract is for 63 mil I believe. Given the nature of this years class of FA's, I think you will see Nate and potentially Samuel command upwards of 70+ mil. Perhaps even more. Snyder was rumored at one point to be willing to pay upwards of 80-90 mil.

since when is Nate ****ing Clements as good as Champ Bailey? This whole situation completely pisses me off. This guy is NOT THAT GOOD. yeah I know CB's the highest paid position, but damn- Nate's not even the best one.

The dumb team is the one that forks over for Clements. The smart team is the one that pays for Samuel and gets higher production for less money.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

There is a ZERO Percent chance we pay Clements that kind of money.

SOmeone like Harper (Indy) could be more realistic.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          There is a ZERO Percent chance we pay Clements that kind of money.

SOmeone like Harper (Indy) could be more realistic.

You all say you want Ralph to open up his chackbook to sign FA, but Ralph is cheap, blah, blah, blah.

What is it going to cost for Briggs, Harper Samual, Stienbach? If we don't sign any of them, then the Bills "Fans" will say Ralph is cheap and I am sick and tired of signing 2nd tier FA's, So what's it going to be?

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

You all say you want Ralph to open up his chackbook to sign FA, but Ralph is cheap, blah, blah, blah.

What is it going to cost for Briggs, Harper Samual, Stienbach? If we don't sign any of them, then the Bills "Fans" will say Ralph is cheap and I am sick and tired of signing 2nd tier FA's, So what's it going to be?
                            I would have thought ralph looking at 4 non sellouts would tell him he must spend some money to get butts back in the seats

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Its going to be open up the pocket book for the RIGHT POSITIONS!

Are we playing cover 2 or not? If so, we dont' need nate AT ALL. Cover 2 CB's are a dime a dozen. Improve both lines and linebacker with that money

Comment

Working...
                              X