PDA

View Full Version : What will it cost to re-sign Nate?

OpIv37
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
This thread is NOT about whether or not we should re-sign him- we've already discussed that issue ad nauseum. I just want to know about how much it would cost to re-sign him and what the cap implications of doing that would be.

Obviously there is no way to know exactly, but does anyone have a good estimate based on other CB's, franchise tenders, etc?

DraftBoy
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Well any kind of tender is out

Id assume take the highest paid CB and Nate will want a similar contract maybe above

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 12:29 PM
7 Years 67 million
15 Million SB means you still owe 52 million

1st year 4.5 million Cap # 6.6
2nd year 5.5 million Cap # 7.6
3rd year 6.5 million Cap # 8.6
4th year 7.5 million Cap # 9.6
5th year 8.5 million Cap # 10.6
6th year 9.5 million Cap # 11.6
7th year 10 million Cap #12.1

OpIv37
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
that seems like it's setting us up for a lot of dead cap when we cut him after the 4th or 5th year.

Devin
02-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Op champs contract is for 63 mil I believe. Given the nature of this years class of FA's, I think you will see Nate and potentially Samuel command upwards of 70+ mil. Perhaps even more. Snyder was rumored at one point to be willing to pay upwards of 80-90 mil.

Whether he is here or somewhere else, Nate will be the highest paid CB/Defensive player in the NFL.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 12:50 PM
that seems like it's setting us up for a lot of dead cap when we cut him after the 4th or 5th year.

The dead cap would be 2.1 per year he is cut prior to his completed contract so if he was cut year 5 his cap hit would be 6.3 million (2.1 million in remaining SB for year 5, 6, and 7) the salary is not dead cap. (at least that is how I understand it)!

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Guys you aren't looking at it correct. You do NOT give him a SIGNING bonus. You give him a 15 Mill ROSTER Bonus that goes 100% into the 07 cap.

This is what indy did with payton manning. They can cut, trade or whatever at any time and take NO cap hit. this means if clements craps out in say 3-4 years we cut his ass and suffer no dead cap. Also it LOWERS his cap per year overall without a prorated bonus being there.

I remember ESPN etal making a huge deal out of how genious Bill polian was about 2 years ago by doing that.

So give nate a 15 mill roster bonus with the league minimum for base salary this year and we still have over 20 mill to spend.

You know my feelings about There is no way in hell ANY CB is worth that much money, but the point is it CAN be done and not wreck our cap.

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Whether he is here or somewhere else, Nate will be the highest paid CB/Defensive player in the NFL.

and there is no way he deserves it.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Guys you aren't looking at it correct. You do NOT give him a SIGNING bonus. You give him a 15 Mill ROSTER Bonus that goes 100% into the 07 cap.

This is what indy did with payton manning. They can cut, trade or whatever at any time and take NO cap hit. this means if clements craps out in say 3-4 years we cut his ass and suffer no dead cap. Also it LOWERS his cap per year overall without a prorated bonus being there.

I remember ESPN etal making a huge deal out of how genious Bill polian was about 2 years ago by doing that.

So give nate a 15 mill roster bonus with the league minimum for base salary this year and we still have over 20 mill to spend.

You know my feelings about There is no way in hell ANY CB is worth that much money, but the point is it CAN be done and not wreck our cap.

ICE, I like it how about a 2 tier Roster bonus of 12 million and 3 million next year? Overall I like it!

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
ICE, I ilke it how about a 2 tier Roster bonus of 12 million and 3 million next year? Overall I like it! It can be done that way no problem I guess.

But I remember a couple years back Indy had all this cap room and that was how they kept manning. Amazing how great a GM ralphs ego fired huh?

OpIv37
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Op champs contract is for 63 mil I believe. Given the nature of this years class of FA's, I think you will see Nate and potentially Samuel command upwards of 70+ mil. Perhaps even more. Snyder was rumored at one point to be willing to pay upwards of 80-90 mil.

since when is Nate ****ing Clements as good as Champ Bailey? This whole situation completely pisses me off. This guy is NOT THAT GOOD. yeah I know CB's the highest paid position, but damn- Nate's not even the best one.

The dumb team is the one that forks over for Clements. The smart team is the one that pays for Samuel and gets higher production for less money.

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
There is a ZERO Percent chance we pay Clements that kind of money.

SOmeone like Harper (Indy) could be more realistic.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
There is a ZERO Percent chance we pay Clements that kind of money.

SOmeone like Harper (Indy) could be more realistic.

You all say you want Ralph to open up his chackbook to sign FA, but Ralph is cheap, blah, blah, blah.

What is it going to cost for Briggs, Harper Samual, Stienbach? If we don't sign any of them, then the Bills "Fans" will say Ralph is cheap and I am sick and tired of signing 2nd tier FA's, So what's it going to be?

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 01:27 PM
You all say you want Ralph to open up his chackbook to sign FA, but Ralph is cheap, blah, blah, blah.

What is it going to cost for Briggs, Harper Samual, Stienbach? If we don't sign any of them, then the Bills "Fans" will say Ralph is cheap and I am sick and tired of signing 2nd tier FA's, So what's it going to be?

I would have thought ralph looking at 4 non sellouts would tell him he must spend some money to get butts back in the seats

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Its going to be open up the pocket book for the RIGHT POSITIONS!

Are we playing cover 2 or not? If so, we dont' need nate AT ALL. Cover 2 CB's are a dime a dozen. Improve both lines and linebacker with that money

casdhf
02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Didn't Ingtar say he heard 10 yrs 100 mill?? That would be insanity.

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Didn't Ingtar say he heard 10 yrs 100 mill?? That would be insanity.

If marv is that dumb, I don't have much more to do with this team because its a waste of time. Its doomed...

OpIv37
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM

you have to spend money, but you have to spend it on the RIGHT players. Peyton Manning has a huge contract but he earns every penny of it. We've got guys making $2.5 million to ride the pine. Paying for Briggs will bring more production for less money than paying for Clements, and Harper at least can be had for a lot less than Clements for minimal drop in performance (which saves money for someone like Briggs).

Or to simplify: spend money but spend it wisely.

Devin
02-07-2007, 03:02 PM
since when is Nate ****ing Clements as good as Champ Bailey? This whole situation completely pisses me off. This guy is NOT THAT GOOD. yeah I know CB's the highest paid position, but damn- Nate's not even the best one.

The dumb team is the one that forks over for Clements. The smart team is the one that pays for Samuel and gets higher production for less money.

In todays NFL its about skill but moreso in the era of FA its supply and demand quite simply.
These days its almost a bigger matter of WHEN you become a FA.

Is Nate Clements worth 63 mil or better. Of course not. However because this is the year he happens to be a UFA hes going to cash in.

Taking that franchise offer last season made him a boatload of cash this season.

ICE74129
02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
In todays NFL its about skill but moreso in the era of FA its supply and demand quite simply.
These days its almost a bigger matter of WHEN you become a FA.

Is Nate Clements worth 63 mil or better. Of course not. However because this is the year he happens to be a UFA hes going to cash in.

Taking that franchise offer last season made him a boatload of cash this season.

Which is fine, outside of we get screwed because marv agreed not to franchise him again.

alohabillsfan
02-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int
2001 Indianapolis Colts 13 31 24.0 7 0 2
2002 Indianapolis Colts 16 49 43.0 6 0 0
2003 Indianapolis Colts 16 98 84.0 14 0 4
2004 Indianapolis Colts 14 77 58.0 19 0 3
2005 Indianapolis Colts 15 66 60.0 6 0 3
2006 Indianapolis Colts 15 75 58.0 17 0 3

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 63 53.0 10 1 3
2002 Buffalo Bills 16 65 52.0 13 0 6
2003 Buffalo Bills 16 62 51.0 11 0 3
2004 Buffalo Bills 16 73 53.0 20 0.5 6
2005 Buffalo Bills 16 99 78.0 21 0 2
2006 Buffalo Bills 16 70 54.0 16 0 3

2003 New England Patriots 16 34 30.0 4 0 2
2004 New England Patriots 13 36 34.0 2 0 1
2005 New England Patriots 15 54 44.0 10 0 3
2006 New England Patriots 15 64 59.0 5 0 10

The only one to start all of his games was Nate! A. Samual had a great contract year, but nothing special before that, and Harper keeps missing games and gets stabbed by his wife or something to that effect! I personally would not spend a ton on any of them but Nate has been more consistant, and on the field then the other 2!

HHURRICANE
02-07-2007, 03:53 PM

I didn't look up Champ's contract but I think you are dead on. Take his number + 10% and that's what Nate is going to get!!

patmoran2006
02-07-2007, 04:12 PM

Im as sick and tired of it as you are, but it's the reality.

Wilson is not going to pay Clements. He's not going to pay Samuel (should he become available).

He's going to pay Briggs, even if he isnt franchised (which he will be, IMO)

He's not going to pay for STeinbach.

We did this last year too if you remember.. All this cap room, and the ENDLESS discussions about the impact players we would target in FA.. Runyan, Neal, Picket, Bentley, Schaffer, etc etc.. WE signed nobody in FA of significant value.

Expect the same this year , is not worse.. You guys are forgetting, this is the same owner who spent almost ALL of this past season *****ing about if this team is even going to be able to stay in Buffalo.

You think he's going to open up the vault for the kind of players we all here want?

The ONLY way this team will get any better on paper than it was last season is IF and ONLY IF Marv Levy does an absolutely tremendous job plucking out a couple of less known free agents and has an absolutely brilliant draft.

We aint getting STeinbach, Clements, Samuels, Briggs, Stallworth, Grant, Cato June, Dielman or anyone like that.. Unfortunatley, get used to it.

Lets hope marv just does a better job plucking out cheaper talent in the FA pool than he did last year.