02-08-2007, 01:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

clumping platelets
02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
:gag:

Ebenezer
02-08-2007, 02:07 AM
how long til we hear those wonderful words "punt catcher"? :snicker:

Personally, I think Wade was a good coach until that last season when everything sort of busted up...I still say Butler torpedoed the 2000 draft and WP didn't exactly go out of his way to suceed...I think there was a major problem between RW and JB/WP and it contributed to the final straws of "punt catcher" and "eliminated from the playoffs".

Night Train
02-08-2007, 02:13 AM
T.O. will be calling him Coach Hillbilly by training camp.

It's all about Jones having more control again. Eventually, he'll fire Wade and promote Garrett. Both will be form fitted for puppet strings.

Ebenezer
02-08-2007, 02:22 AM
T.O. will be calling him Coach Hillbilly by training camp.

It's all about Jones having more control again. Eventually, he'll fire Wade and promote Garrett. Both will be form fitted for puppet strings.
can't disagree.

Mr. Cynical
02-08-2007, 03:22 AM
We made the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons as HC. Not my favorite personality for an HC but he is the best coach we've had since Levy.

Mitchy moo
02-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Man you guys never sleep,:respect: :

Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips reportedly will be named the Dallas' Cowboys new head coach.
According to the Dallas Morning News and ESPN, Phillips traveled from San Diego to Dallas on Wednesday night after being told that he was their choice to replace the now-retired Parcells.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16877020/
<INLINE1></INLINE1>

YardRat
02-08-2007, 06:13 AM
How the hell is Wade going to handle TO getting in his grill on the sidelines when the ball isn't coming his way?

Jan Reimers
02-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Actually, in retrospect, Wade did a pretty good job for us and I'm glad to see him get another chance.
I don't think he'll last too long in Jerry Jones' Three Ring Circus, however, particularly with TO driving the clown car.

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Time will tell if he can be a successful coach there. There have been plenty of players and coaches who have left Buffalo and have done well, despite all the typical "(name of departed player/coach here) sucks" banter that goes on among Bills fans. Let's take a novel approach and wait and see.

Earthquake Enyart
02-08-2007, 07:28 AM
How the hell is Wade going to handle TO getting in his grill on the sidelines when the ball isn't coming his way?
Wade will say "Huh??"

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Headset or no headset?

TigerJ
02-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Hmm, I wonder if he can lure Buffalo's old "punt catcher" out of retirement to come back and fulfill the same duties with Dallas.

HHURRICANE
02-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Wade was a good coach that was not in the right place. The headset issue wasn't a small issue and he was a dope for not wearing one. The Music City Miracle was his fault. PERIOD. I think he deserves another shot but I'll guarantee that he figures out a way to shoot himself in the foot.

Bill Cody
02-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Actually, in retrospect, Wade did a pretty good job for us and I'm glad to see him get another chance.
I don't think he'll last too long in Jerry Jones' Three Ring Circus, however, particularly with TO driving the clown car.

:funny:

TacklingDummy
02-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Good luck Wade.

He should have never of been fired in Buffalo and Im glad he is getting another chance.

ICE74129
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
We made the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons as HC. Not my favorite personality for an HC but he is the best coach we've had since Levy.

You know C I had NO issues with him at all. He stated '10 wins is our baseline every year. Its our goal.' And I liked that. It meant no matter what we had a shot at the playoffs.

What shot me on him was one thing....he QUIT during that Indy game on MNF. His comment about neither team going to make the playoffs blah blah blah then Indy made it, pissed me off.

Ralph screwed the pooch though by firing him....but that is Ralphs MO. He told Wade to fire his ST coach and when Wade said no and did the honorable thing and stood up for his coach, he was fired.

And What really tore it for me with ralph wilson is the fact he tried to sue Wade and not pay him the last year of his salary.

TacklingDummy
02-08-2007, 09:29 AM
You know C I had NO issues with him at all. He stated '10 wins is our baseline every year. Its our goal.' And I liked that. It meant no matter what we had a shot at the playoffs.

What shot me on him was one thing....he QUIT during that Indy game on MNF. His comment about neither team going to make the playoffs blah blah blah then Indy made it, pissed me off.

Ralph screwed the pooch though by firing him....but that is Ralphs MO. He told Wade to fire his ST coach and when Wade said no and did the honorable thing and stood up for his coach, he was fired.

And What really tore it for me with ralph wilson is the fact he tried to sue Wade and not pay him the last year of his salary.

OMG, I agree with Ice on something.

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Short term answer until GArret is ready.

I think one of JOnes demands was that they aint getting rid of TO.

raphael120
02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
So, i have to show my age or lack thereof a bit and ask...what was the whole situation with wade? i was probably 12-13 at the time and fell out of caring about football for awhile after the 4 super bowl losses, my dad always had the games on but i must admit i dont remember too much about wade other than we were pretty good and we had flutie and what not...can someone please elaborate on the whole wade phillips era? thanks!

ICE74129
02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
OMG, I agree with Ice on something.

Hey people in hell got ICE water today :bandwagon

ICE74129
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
So, i have to show my age or lack thereof a bit and ask...what was the whole situation with wade? i was probably 12-13 at the time and fell out of caring about football for awhile after the 4 super bowl losses, my dad always had the games on but i must admit i dont remember too much about wade other than we were pretty good and we had flutie and what not...can someone please elaborate on the whole wade phillips era? thanks!

Ok we had Flutie in at QB and made the playoffs and lost at Miami (flutie sucked that day although moulds had 200 yards receiving). The next year we make the playoffs and in our final game against Indy he starts RJ who beat the living hell out of indy.

Ralph Wilson apperantly told him to start RJ instead of Flutie. We battled the hell outta Tenn At Tenn and had them beat. We kick off and the result is now the infamous 'home run throw back'. It happened because a couple guys bit and didn't stay in their lanes.

Immediately after ralph demanded Wade fire the ST coach instead of listening to common sense and showing him the PLAYERS screwed up. When he refused Ralph not only fired him, but tried to sue so he didn't have to pay the remaining year on his contract siting insubordination. Ralph needless to say lost big and looked like a ***** in the media.

raphael120
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
so after the loss to miami, the season after, flutie started the season except for the Indy game, and put in RJ and he kicked ace? so even though flutie got us to the good record, RW wanted RJ to stay in throughout the playoffs?

so RJ played in the Tenn game and had us winning? or did Flutie play?

and damn Ralph did look like the one with the egg on his face...makes you wonder about things now.

Ok we had Flutie in at QB and made the playoffs and lost at Miami (flutie sucked that day although moulds had 200 yards receiving). The next year we make the playoffs and in our final game against Indy he starts RJ who beat the living hell out of indy.

Ralph Wilson apperantly told him to start RJ instead of Flutie. We battled the hell outta Tenn At Tenn and had them beat. We kick off and the result is now the infamous 'home run throw back'. It happened because a couple guys bit and didn't stay in their lanes.

Immediately after ralph demanded Wade fire the ST coach instead of listening to common sense and showing him the PLAYERS screwed up. When he refused Ralph not only fired him, but tried to sue so he didn't have to pay the remaining year on his contract siting insubordination. Ralph needless to say lost big and looked like a ***** in the media.

Kerr
02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
so after the loss to miami, the season after, flutie started the season except for the Indy game, and put in RJ and he kicked ace? so even though flutie got us to the good record, RW wanted RJ to stay in throughout the playoffs?

so RJ played in the Tenn game and had us winning? or did Flutie play?

and damn Ralph did look like the one with the egg on his face...makes you wonder about things now.

Yes, RJ led a minor comeback to the go ahead fg, but special teams blew it in the end. Many would like to argue that if flutie had started, the bills would be wearing championship rings on their fingers that season, but I really don't think he had much of chance because they were facing a top rated and fast defense(titans). Don't forget flutie played poorly against good defensive teams.

ICE74129
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, RJ led a minor comeback to the go ahead fg, but special teams blew it in the end. Many would like to argue that if flutie had started, the bills would be wearing championship rings on their fingers that season, but I really don't think he had much of chance because they were facing a top rated and fast defense(titans). Don't forget flutie played poorly against good defensive teams.

At the time the titans had the #1 defense in the NFL and lost by one yard to St Louis in the superbowl.

The flutopians have very selective memories. RJ had that game WON when he left the field. That is all that can be asked. But What they say is 'well had flutie played we would have had more points'. Which most of us say is BS. He was starting to trail off and not be as productive going into the postseason which happens to him. Teams figure out to keep him in the pocket and get your hands up.

Bottom line, Wade for his faults lead us to the playoffs 2x, and did the honorable thing sticking up for his ST coach. Ralph showed his ass and lost some respect in the league by not only firing Wade, but being a ***** and having the nerve to sue him and try not to pay out the rest of his contract.

SquishDaFish
02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Congrads to him. I hope he does well except against us next season. I should be at that game with my dad who is a Dallas fan.

The_Philster
02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
You know C I had NO issues with him at all. He stated '10 wins is our baseline every year. Its our goal.' And I liked that. It meant no matter what we had a shot at the playoffs.agreed...the 2 buffoons we had after him gave us no feeling that it was our goal

What shot me on him was one thing....he QUIT during that Indy game on MNF. His comment about neither team going to make the playoffs blah blah blah then Indy made it, pissed me off. ditto

Ralph screwed the pooch though by firing him....but that is Ralphs MO. He told Wade to fire his ST coach and when Wade said no and did the honorable thing and stood up for his coach, he was fired. Ronnie Jones was the worst special teams coach in the history of the league. While I agree that maybe moving him to the defense (like Wade wanted to do) would've been better than firing them both, it was simple insubordination. There's positives and negatives no matter which route was taken. Had he kept him on, it would've just looked like he was keeping him on staff because they were buddies...regardless of Jones' incompetence

And What really tore it for me with ralph wilson is the fact he tried to sue Wade and not pay him the last year of his salary.refusal to follow orders, I would think, would void a contract

Ralph Wilson apperantly told him to start RJ instead of Flutie. source? link? anything other than pure conjecture? The only thing any news source said at the time was that Ralph allowed the switch to be made...and considering Ralph was the one behind the contract that Flutie received in the 99 offseason (when Flutie was already under contract for a hell of a lot less), it's kinda funny how people come up with the idea that Ralph hated Flutie
:laughter:
My theory: Wade was wanting to make the switch earlier in the season when Flutie was playing like crap but didn't wanna piss off Ralph. When we had locked up all we could for the playoffs, Wade made the switch for that Indy game. RJ played well...Ralph allowed the switch to be made for the playoffs.
No one's challenged that theory with facts and it's been my theory for 7 years

TigerJ
02-08-2007, 09:14 PM

I have a little different take on Wade than Ice does. The special teams were generally not very good that last year that Phillips was the coach. You can say it was the players who messed up, and they are the ones on the field to be sure, but it's the head coach who assigns players to special teams. And the special teams coach, Ronnie Jones was very inexperienced as a special teams coach. Wade had hired him out of the college ranks, New Mexico, and I don't think he coached special teams there. It seems there was some family connection with the New Mexico football program. I don't believe Wade had actually coached with Ronnie Jones before.

My earlier post in the thread alluded to a press conference earlier that year. The Bills had acquired a third rate CB from Denver (Chris something or other -his name slipsmy memory at the moment) to play some nickel and return punts. The punt team had been awful for some time. The press was asking some tough questions about special teams and in one of his more infamous quotes, Wade, who has a Yogi Berra like ability to stick his foot in his mouth, said, "Well Chris is more of a punt catcher" (as opposed to a punt returner). The press just tore him up one side and down the other.

I agree that Wilson had no business trying to job Phillips out of the last year of his salary, but I though Phillips, who's obviously a nice guy and a solid DC, was in well over his head as a head coach at that time, but I also thought Phillips' loyalty to his special teams coach was wildly misplaced and may have smacked a bit of nepotism. Ronnie Jones IMHO was an incompetent boob.

Phillips may be better prepared to be a head coach at this time, and I hope he does well, but the speculation is he's more of an interim guy until Garrett gains more experience.

SABURZFAN
02-08-2007, 10:48 PM
:lolpoint: Cowboy fans

Historian
02-09-2007, 04:36 AM

It was the other way around.

Ralph claimed he violated some silly insubordinatiion clause in his contract, and refused to pay him.

Wade then sued for lost wages.

ricogarion
02-09-2007, 05:29 AM
When it comes to pay Ralph tightens up tighter than a guy bent over to the elbow at the Urology office.

hurls
02-09-2007, 05:32 AM
tightens up tighter than a guy bent over to the elbow at the Urology office.

Wait till you see Wilson about Mid-Year.