• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Kiper's New Mock has us taking Okoye

Seen Mel Kiper's first round mock draft last night on ESPN's "NFL LIVE". He has the Bills currently taking Okoye.

Now I know I a lot about football, and I'd like to think anyway, more than the average person.

But there are only certain college football players and programs that I follow, and Okoye wasn't one of them I admit.

I confess to knowing little about him other than what I'm hearing on TV and radio from other draft experts.

he sounds like a real solid player to me.. but the thing that confuses me is his size (297) makes him more of a fit to play in the spot both Tripplett and McCargo are sharing.

Does it make sense to draft this guy? I'm not being sarcastic I'm seriously asking. I would think if we were to get a DT it would be someone bigger who's more inclined to being a strong run stuffer.. Is Okoye this guy?
    If hypothetically the Bills took Okoye, how would that play into the DT rotation?

I'm not saying I dont like this guy, I clearly do.. I just dont see how another speed DT is a first round need for this team. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong on this. Maybe this guy is another Tommie Harris?

A few other tidbits about Kiper's latest mock.

* He doesnt have Jarrett going until #18. In fact, he has him as only the FIFTH WR to go in the draft, after Boye and Rice. Not sure why he dropped like that. now I know this Bowe has been sensational in the Senior Bowl, but Jarrett size and need wise would seem to be a better fit.

For LB"s, he has Timmons going at 20 and Wilils not unti pick 30.

* He has Lynch going 16 to GB.

Thoughts on Okoye and how he'd work for the Bills?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Kiper's New Mock has us taking Okoye

The one thing I keep hearing about Okoye is that he is so young that he will be a 310-320 pound guy in a few years.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      The one thing I keep hearing about Okoye is that he is so young that he will be a 310-320 pound guy in a few years.
      arrrgh.... that's frustrating. I understand the mentality of building for the future, but the reality is we need DT and LB help NOW.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Not saying i dont like him, everything I heard about him is good..

BUT, are we really going to draft a project with the 12th pick in the draft. IMO, we need someone who can play right away.

and again, Im not saying he cant play right away, I dont know enough about him... yet

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

I am not disagreeing. Apparently some think he will be dominant once he grows (he is only 19 right now).

He certainly played well in the one All-star game I saw.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Okoye is a project. Hes a kid in a monsters body. I think the two biggest attractions to Okoye are:

1. His maturity, for only being 19 hes apparently a very well spoken, mature kid.

2. His potential. I think a lot of people think he is 1st round talent now and is no where near his ceiling. He has a lot of immeasurables that are only going to grow significantly furthur.
            Physically he will get bigger, probably upwards of 310 or so.

Okoye is a typical Boom or bust pick. Personally I think in 3-4 years he very well maybe a pro-bowl DT. But if you draft him your resigned to the fact its going to take awhile. Regardless of his physical gifts hes a 19 year old kid.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

I don't know much about him either, Pat, but I don't think that size has as much to do with stuffing the run as a lot of people on here think - not when we're talking about a difference of 15 lbs. If the guy is strong enough at the point of attack, strong enough to shed blockers, he should be strong enough to stop the run. 300lbs is huge no matter how you weigh it.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Seen Mel Kiper's first round mock draft last night on ESPN's "NFL LIVE". He has the Bills currently taking Okoye.

Now I know I a lot about football, and I'd like to think anyway, more than the average person.

But there are only certain college football players and programs that I follow, and Okoye wasn't one of them I admit.

I confess to knowing little about him other than what I'm hearing on TV and radio from other draft experts.

he sounds like a real solid player to me.. but the thing that confuses me is his size (297) makes him more of a fit to play in the spot both Tripplett and McCargo are sharing.

Does it make sense to draft this guy? I'm not being sarcastic I'm seriously asking. I would think if we were to get a DT it would be someone bigger who's more inclined to being a strong run stuffer.. Is Okoye this guy?
                If hypothetically the Bills took Okoye, how would that play into the DT rotation?

I'm not saying I dont like this guy, I clearly do.. I just dont see how another speed DT is a first round need for this team. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong on this. Maybe this guy is another Tommie Harris?

A few other tidbits about Kiper's latest mock.

* He doesnt have Jarrett going until #18. In fact, he has him as only the FIFTH WR to go in the draft, after Boye and Rice. Not sure why he dropped like that. now I know this Bowe has been sensational in the Senior Bowl, but Jarrett size and need wise would seem to be a better fit.

For LB"s, he has Timmons going at 20 and Wilils not unti pick 30.

* He has Lynch going 16 to GB.

Thoughts on Okoye and how he'd work for the Bills?
                First off, wasn't there talk of moving McCargo to the 1 tech? At 6'2" 300 he could do it? That would mean McCargo/Williams and Tripplett/Okoye rotation I could live with that... It really depends on what 1BD is doing with MLB and what the plan is for TKO? Are we keeping TKO or are we overhauling the entire LB corps? Only time will tell... It is interesting with regard to Okoye being 19 intelligent and darn right disruptive.

As far as Jarrett, the thought process might be that he is a #2 receiver (a very good one) but just not enough speed to command the #1 billing IMHO.

I also believe Timmons will go before Willis just more of a demand for OLB and MLB tend to slide as people want QB, CB, DT, DE, WR, RB before they take LB's ..
                2006 5 OLB's rd 1 no MLB's rd 1
                2005 3 OLB's rd 1 (2 of them play 3-4) no MLB's rd 1
                2004 2 OLB's rd 1 (1) MLB Vilma to the jets rd1
                2003 1 OLB rd 1 (1) MLB rd1

Total last 4 drafts rd 1 11 OLBS 2 MLB's
                2002 2 OLB's rd 1 no mlb's rd 1

Lynch might not last that long but I do not think he falls past GB

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

While you could make an argument for DT I really think we need a LB or DE pick 1.
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                    While you could make an argument for DT I really think we need a LB or DE pick 1.

I really believe that Marv is going to resgn Kelsay and Hardgrove. LB is a need! I really wish FA could get here sooner so we could get a clearer picture!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

I agree about needing a DE more than a DT early, but after Adams and Anderson I dont know of any sure first round talents.. Neither are going to last until 12..

As for Okoye, I just dont see how we could take projects (McCargo) to at the same position in back to back years.

Someone like Jarret or Lynch, I think anyway, could make more of an immediate impact.

All I know is im tired of hearing about the future.. I want FA's and draft picks that are going to contribute heavily immediately.

If Okoye is good enough to come into this lineup and start or at the very least play a great number of snaps, then Im all for it. but if he's 2-3 years away, the hell with that.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Okoye could be a special prospect but like Devin said he is going to need 3-4 years first.
                        COMING SOON...
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          I agree about needing a DE more than a DT early, but after Adams and Anderson I dont know of any sure first round talents.. Neither are going to last until 12..

As for Okoye, I just dont see how we could take projects (McCargo) to at the same position in back to back years.

Someone like Jarret or Lynch, I think anyway, could make more of an immediate impact.

All I know is im tired of hearing about the future.. I want FA's and draft picks that are going to contribute heavily immediately.

If Okoye is good enough to come into this lineup and start or at the very least play a great number of snaps, then Im all for it. but if he's 2-3 years away, the hell with that.
                          Moses, Johnson are also mid to late 1st round prospects all 4 are similar in that they both play the run and pass well.
                          COMING SOON...
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• eyedog
                            • Jul 2002

"Run stuffers" don't "fit our system", or so I've been told. so we don't need him or any other run stuffer. It looked like the Bears could have used a run stuffer last Sunday.

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

If we've learned anything about ESPN draft boards, you know theyre ALWAYS off...way off. Just a bunch of people speculating and talking out of their butts.

Comment

Working...
                              X