PDA

View Full Version : Kiper's New Mock has us taking Okoye

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Seen Mel Kiper's first round mock draft last night on ESPN's "NFL LIVE". He has the Bills currently taking Okoye.

Now I know I a lot about football, and I'd like to think anyway, more than the average person.

But there are only certain college football players and programs that I follow, and Okoye wasn't one of them I admit.

I confess to knowing little about him other than what I'm hearing on TV and radio from other draft experts.

he sounds like a real solid player to me.. but the thing that confuses me is his size (297) makes him more of a fit to play in the spot both Tripplett and McCargo are sharing.

Does it make sense to draft this guy? I'm not being sarcastic I'm seriously asking. I would think if we were to get a DT it would be someone bigger who's more inclined to being a strong run stuffer.. Is Okoye this guy?
If hypothetically the Bills took Okoye, how would that play into the DT rotation?

I'm not saying I dont like this guy, I clearly do.. I just dont see how another speed DT is a first round need for this team. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong on this. Maybe this guy is another Tommie Harris?

A few other tidbits about Kiper's latest mock.

* He doesnt have Jarrett going until #18. In fact, he has him as only the FIFTH WR to go in the draft, after Boye and Rice. Not sure why he dropped like that. now I know this Bowe has been sensational in the Senior Bowl, but Jarrett size and need wise would seem to be a better fit.

For LB"s, he has Timmons going at 20 and Wilils not unti pick 30.

* He has Lynch going 16 to GB.

Thoughts on Okoye and how he'd work for the Bills?

Dr. Lecter
02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
The one thing I keep hearing about Okoye is that he is so young that he will be a 310-320 pound guy in a few years.

OpIv37
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
The one thing I keep hearing about Okoye is that he is so young that he will be a 310-320 pound guy in a few years.

arrrgh.... that's frustrating. I understand the mentality of building for the future, but the reality is we need DT and LB help NOW.

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Not saying i dont like him, everything I heard about him is good..

BUT, are we really going to draft a project with the 12th pick in the draft. IMO, we need someone who can play right away.

and again, Im not saying he cant play right away, I dont know enough about him... yet

Dr. Lecter
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I am not disagreeing. Apparently some think he will be dominant once he grows (he is only 19 right now).

He certainly played well in the one All-star game I saw.

Devin
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Okoye is a project. Hes a kid in a monsters body. I think the two biggest attractions to Okoye are:

1. His maturity, for only being 19 hes apparently a very well spoken, mature kid.

2. His potential. I think a lot of people think he is 1st round talent now and is no where near his ceiling. He has a lot of immeasurables that are only going to grow significantly furthur.
Physically he will get bigger, probably upwards of 310 or so.

Okoye is a typical Boom or bust pick. Personally I think in 3-4 years he very well maybe a pro-bowl DT. But if you draft him your resigned to the fact its going to take awhile. Regardless of his physical gifts hes a 19 year old kid.

Jeff1220
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't know much about him either, Pat, but I don't think that size has as much to do with stuffing the run as a lot of people on here think - not when we're talking about a difference of 15 lbs. If the guy is strong enough at the point of attack, strong enough to shed blockers, he should be strong enough to stop the run. 300lbs is huge no matter how you weigh it.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Seen Mel Kiper's first round mock draft last night on ESPN's "NFL LIVE". He has the Bills currently taking Okoye.

Now I know I a lot about football, and I'd like to think anyway, more than the average person.

But there are only certain college football players and programs that I follow, and Okoye wasn't one of them I admit.

I confess to knowing little about him other than what I'm hearing on TV and radio from other draft experts.

he sounds like a real solid player to me.. but the thing that confuses me is his size (297) makes him more of a fit to play in the spot both Tripplett and McCargo are sharing.

Does it make sense to draft this guy? I'm not being sarcastic I'm seriously asking. I would think if we were to get a DT it would be someone bigger who's more inclined to being a strong run stuffer.. Is Okoye this guy?
If hypothetically the Bills took Okoye, how would that play into the DT rotation?

I'm not saying I dont like this guy, I clearly do.. I just dont see how another speed DT is a first round need for this team. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong on this. Maybe this guy is another Tommie Harris?

* He doesnt have Jarrett going until #18. In fact, he has him as only the FIFTH WR to go in the draft, after Boye and Rice. Not sure why he dropped like that. now I know this Bowe has been sensational in the Senior Bowl, but Jarrett size and need wise would seem to be a better fit.

First off, wasn't there talk of moving McCargo to the 1 tech? At 6'2" 300 he could do it? That would mean McCargo/Williams and Tripplett/Okoye rotation I could live with that... It really depends on what 1BD is doing with MLB and what the plan is for TKO? Are we keeping TKO or are we overhauling the entire LB corps? Only time will tell... It is interesting with regard to Okoye being 19 intelligent and darn right disruptive.

As far as Jarrett, the thought process might be that he is a #2 receiver (a very good one) but just not enough speed to command the #1 billing IMHO.

I also believe Timmons will go before Willis just more of a demand for OLB and MLB tend to slide as people want QB, CB, DT, DE, WR, RB before they take LB's ..
2006 5 OLB's rd 1 no MLB's rd 1
2005 3 OLB's rd 1 (2 of them play 3-4) no MLB's rd 1
2004 2 OLB's rd 1 (1) MLB Vilma to the jets rd1
2003 1 OLB rd 1 (1) MLB rd1

Total last 4 drafts rd 1 11 OLBS 2 MLB's
2002 2 OLB's rd 1 no mlb's rd 1

Lynch might not last that long but I do not think he falls past GB

Devin
02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
While you could make an argument for DT I really think we need a LB or DE pick 1.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 10:13 AM
While you could make an argument for DT I really think we need a LB or DE pick 1.

I really believe that Marv is going to resgn Kelsay and Hardgrove. LB is a need! I really wish FA could get here sooner so we could get a clearer picture!

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
I agree about needing a DE more than a DT early, but after Adams and Anderson I dont know of any sure first round talents.. Neither are going to last until 12..

As for Okoye, I just dont see how we could take projects (McCargo) to at the same position in back to back years.

Someone like Jarret or Lynch, I think anyway, could make more of an immediate impact.

All I know is im tired of hearing about the future.. I want FA's and draft picks that are going to contribute heavily immediately.

If Okoye is good enough to come into this lineup and start or at the very least play a great number of snaps, then Im all for it. but if he's 2-3 years away, the hell with that.

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Okoye could be a special prospect but like Devin said he is going to need 3-4 years first.

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree about needing a DE more than a DT early, but after Adams and Anderson I dont know of any sure first round talents.. Neither are going to last until 12..

As for Okoye, I just dont see how we could take projects (McCargo) to at the same position in back to back years.

Someone like Jarret or Lynch, I think anyway, could make more of an immediate impact.

All I know is im tired of hearing about the future.. I want FA's and draft picks that are going to contribute heavily immediately.

If Okoye is good enough to come into this lineup and start or at the very least play a great number of snaps, then Im all for it. but if he's 2-3 years away, the hell with that.

Moses, Johnson are also mid to late 1st round prospects all 4 are similar in that they both play the run and pass well.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
"Run stuffers" don't "fit our system", or so I've been told. so we don't need him or any other run stuffer. It looked like the Bears could have used a run stuffer last Sunday.

raphael120
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
If we've learned anything about ESPN draft boards, you know theyre ALWAYS off...way off. Just a bunch of people speculating and talking out of their butts.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
3 or 4 years to develop my ass. He could step in today and be just as good and probably better than any d-tackle on this team.
why is it every rookie needs to sit the bench and "develop" ? Some do but alot don't.

Tatonka
02-08-2007, 10:28 AM
by the way.. okoye was under 275 at the senior bowl..

i just cant see us taking him.

i really think wr is our pick.

i also think a trade down is a distinct possibility.. to take a LB later in the first.

Devin
02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
3 or 4 years to develop my ass. He could step in today and be just as good and probably better than any d-tackle on this team.
why is it every rookie needs to sit the bench and "develop" ? Some do but alot don't.

Every rookie doesnt.

However linemen, especially DT's just typically take longer on average anyway. As Ingtar has said before normally 2-3 seasons.

Apart maybe Tommie Harris or maybe 1-2 other guys you dont hear of rookie DT's making big splashes often do you?

Okoye reminds me of Mario Williams. Both absolutley have 1st round talent however Okoye, like Williams, is very very young. Williams was 20 I believe when he was drafted. Another season or two and Williams very well may grow into his 1st overall billing.

Think of it this way, its like having all the physical tools but not knowing how to use them in the NFL yet.

Okoye absolutley has the ability.

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
We must draft Okoye. If we don't, we will be destroyed.

Jeff1220
02-08-2007, 10:32 AM
If we've learned anything about ESPN draft boards, you know theyre ALWAYS off...way off. Just a bunch of people speculating and talking out of their butts.

After last year, just wait until Mayock's mock comes out - he was scary close.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Teams that continue to take wr's and d-backs with their early draft picks, continue to draft early in every draft. You can never have enough good linemen. And from what I've seen they may have a couple who are considered good players.

Devin
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Mayock is always pretty good, last year was nuts he really did a pretty good job.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Okoye could be a special prospect but like Devin said he is going to need 3-4 years first.

Why is a 4 year player a 3-4 year project? He has played in 48 college games? Is this based on his youth? All I know is when he played in the senior bowl he was blowing up gurads and tackle left and right, got a sack and played sparingly in the 2nd half.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Obviously he would be a better player two years down the road, so we can't play him with the garbage we already have. Even developing he will be better than the junk we have playing that position right now.

SaintRochester
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM

i also think a trade down is a distinct possibility.. to take a LB later in the first.

where did you come up with that figure? 287lbs at mobile......anyway maybe the pick can be traded to NO for their first. at no.27 they could still land a great CB to replace clements

Night Train
02-08-2007, 11:24 AM

On Monday, the first day of Senior Bowl week, they showed him getting weighed live on TV. He was 287 lbs.

Night Train
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
After last year, just wait until Mayock's mock comes out - he was scary close.

Since ESPN trashed Marv and Jauron from Day 1, Mayock was tipped off that the Bills were picking Whitner the day before the draft and had almost a flawless 1st 20 picks for Day 1. Think ESPN will ever get an inside scoop from the Bills again ? I doubt it.

Mayock is sharp observer of talent. He played CB a few years in the early 80's for the Giants and does a great job on the NFL Network.

DraftBoy
02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Why is a 4 year player a 3-4 year project? He has played in 48 college games? Is this based on his youth? All I know is when he played in the senior bowl he was blowing up gurads and tackle left and right, got a sack and played sparingly in the 2nd half.

Up until this year he did struggle some with consistency. He also has play recognition issues. His technique that he got away with in the Big East needs polishing as to be effective in the NFL and as like many underclassmen (I say this bc he's only 19) he needs to add bulk and strength. All these things take time.

Devin
02-08-2007, 11:40 AM

There is no rhyme or reason to it. Only what "typically" happens.

However linemen, especially DT's have TYPICALLY taken longer to develop. The NFL game is a lot different then college I really dont know how to say it any other way.

Can Okoye come in and be a pro-bowler his first year? Sure, there is always that chance.

Will he? Likely not. In fact it wouldnt shock me if wherever he goes he rode the bench or was a situational player til he developed furthur. Physically and mentally he needs to grow a bit more.

ricogarion
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Okoye has impressed everyone the kid is off the hook and he has brains.Thats a combination any scout will love and I am sure the Bills are aware of his attributes.They are just hoping the rest of the league drafting ahead of them don't take him.

alohabillsfan
02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Up until this year he did struggle some with consistency. He also has play recognition issues. His technique that he got away with in the Big East needs polishing as to be effective in the NFL and as like many underclassmen (I say this bc he's only 19) he needs to add bulk and strength. All these things take time.

OK continuing the debate~

Here is Indy's run stuffer

# 79 Raheem Brock
Position: DT
Height: 6-4
Weight: 274
Born: 06/10/1978
College: Temple
NFL Experience: 5

Here is the profile for Okoye

This guy keeps climbing up the charts. Forget about the fact that he isn't huge for a defensive tackle. Okoye has strength and superior quickness and his ability to pressure the QB from the inside is attractive for NFL scouts. The more I watched this guy as the season progressed the more I liked him. A true four down player and one of my favorites in this draft.

Here is another one~
College career
Amobi went to University of Louisville, majoring in Psychology. He also became the youngest player in the NCAA, at age 16. Okoye played in all 13 games as a freshman at defensive tackle and was credited with 17 tackles and a sack. Recorded then-career-best three tackles against Tulane and recorded his first career sack against UTEP.

As a sophomore, Okoye appeared in 11 of 12 games, recording 26 tackles and a sack. Okoye's only missed game was against ECU, because of a shoulder injury. Okoye also made his first collegiate start against Army, recording career-high seven tackles.

In his junior season of 2005, where he recorded 23 tackles and four tackles for a loss. In the biggest game of the year, against the West Virginia Mountaineers, Okoye recorded four tackles. He missed the Florida Atlantic match up due to a foot sprain. Against Kentucky, Okoye registered two tackles and a fumble recovery. Okoye also totaled three tackles against South Florida.

As a senior in 2006, Okoye finally started all 13 games. In those 13 games, Okoye registered 55 tackles, eight sacks, and recovered three fumbles. Okoye garnered Associated Press Second-Team All-American honors and and first-team All-Big East honors. As the NCAA's youngest senior at 19-years old, Okoye garned first-round draft status during the season.

During the Senior Bowl, Okoye's stock rose dramatically with his good practices. On January 22nd, the first day of practice for the North squad, Okoye was held by offensive lineman Manuel Ramírez of Texas Tech. On January 23rd, NFL Draft Countdown reported that "[Okoye] has been making a lot of plays in practice but concerns me with his size.". Okoye was also reported to be "cheap shotted" by West Virginia center Dan Mozes. On January 24th, Okoye was reported to "fly by blockers" and be "very coachable". On January 25th, Okoye reported to "blow by Doug Datish, Dan Mozes and James Marten."

Pro Career
Amobi Okoye is projected to be a first-round pick in the upcoming 2007 NFL Draft.

Strengths:
Amobi Okoye is a solid athlete who is extremely strong and has decent size. He is stout against the run and is able to take on multiple blockers by getting a good push and will collapse the pocket. Okoye is able to shed blocks and clog up the middle and shows great instincts for the game even though he is still developing. Amobi is a smart player who has the desire to improve all aspects of his game. He is a top notch prospect who has a ton of potential, ability and he could really be physically molded by a professional strength coach.

Weaknesses:
Amobi doesn't always play with ideal leverage which will need some improvement and he does not have a great burst of closing speed. Amobi Okoye has become a little to predictable in his pass rushing and will need to be creative and learn some new pass rush moves to be effective at the NFL level. As with many younger players Amobi Okoye can be inconsistent and will disappear from the action at times. He still needs a lot of technique work and is not ready to step in to an NFL roster and play right away.

Notes:
Amobi Okoye Has four years of Division I playing experience but will still only be a 20-year-old rookie in the NFL. Amobi is a native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade as a 12-year-old and played at Louisville as a 16-year-old true freshman in 2003. He has a lot of potential and might possible be a good nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. The NFL Draft has never seen a player quite like this and even though he's a very good prospect now it's his upside that is really intriguing

eyedog
02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Devin I don't know where you got that qoute, but it's not mine.

He doesn't need to be a pro bowler in yr. one. He can contribute and eventually he may become one. Either way there is nobody on the current roster that would make this kid look overmatched as a rotation player. Let's look at them;

Triplett- overrated and not worth the money they are paying him.
Williams- tough but limited, serves his role.
Anderson- sucks
Mcgargo- who knows, lets hope he becomes a player.

Yes, I do believe we could find him a spot and I wouldn't be suprised if he was the best d-tackle on the roster.

mysticsoto
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
The most important thing to know about Okoye is that he is great against the run - in fact, it is his forte even over pass rushing. He also commands double teams which is what we need from a 1-gap. And, he has a great attitude, is intelligent and a hard worker - all Levy qualities.

If we can get Okoye, and replace Fletcher with a FA prospect that fits the type of MLB we need, we've already improved our run-D greatly!

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Agreed, mystic.

Of course, if the team was to sign a free agent DT like Ian Scott or some other good quality player w/ some upside, do we still need to draft Okoye?

What am I thinking? Of course we do, just like we had to draft Ngata last year and we absolutely had to draft a freaking kicker w/ our 2nd round pick the year prior.

Remember, there is no free agency nor is there any draft after the first round.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Or we could draft Levi Brown and then move him to guard since he looks to be too slow to pass protect at tackle.

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Or we could draft Levi Brown and then move him to guard since he looks to be too slow to pass protect at tackle.

What, he got slower since the week of the Senior Bowl practices/game?

ShadowHawk7
02-08-2007, 01:23 PM
The fact that the Bills VERY rarely give up on past draft picks and signings this fast (Tripplett, McCargo) coupled with the fact that the company ESPN said that we'd pick a DT, leads me to the conclusion that we will NOT draft a DT round 1, unless Branch slips somehow to us. I am also willing to make a bet on this.

kernowboy
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
I think we all must accept that this years free agency will be poor. We ought to get to the playoffs but Marv and Dick will be measuring what will also be available next year esoecially in the draft.

If we grab Okoye in Round1 and say Robert Meacham in Round2 and grab someone like Napoleon Harris at MLB then we will be looking for a RB and a OLB (to replace TKO) in 2008.

Marv will surely have noticed that in terms of value for draft picks, RB and OLB are deep in 2008 so with Youboty on board it may well make sense to go DT then WR this year even if it means back to back DTs being drafted.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
What, he got slower since the week of the Senior Bowl practices/game?

Nope, just my opinion from watching him play at Penn St. Time will tell.

gr8slayer
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I am completely against taking a DT first round after we spent one on McCargo last year. We need a WR or a TE to help J.P.

eyedog
02-08-2007, 02:11 PM
I am completely against taking a DT first round after we spent one on McCargo last year. We need a WR or a TE to help J.P.

You can get either in the 2nd or 3rd rd. besides didn't we just sigh Royal, Price, and re-up Reed ? Your right, I don't count them either.

mysticsoto
02-08-2007, 02:15 PM
You can get either in the 2nd or 3rd rd. besides didn't we just sigh Royal, Price, and re-up Reed ? Your right, I don't count them either.

Not to mention we pulled George Wilson off the PS last year...a 6'0" WR with really soft hands. And Chris Denney is getting experience in Europe for us - another speedster.

But we should keep wasting draft picks on a WR...

/sarcasm

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I think we all must accept that this years free agency will be poor. We ought to get to the playoffs but Marv and Dick will be measuring what will also be available next year esoecially in the draft.

If we grab Okoye in Round1 and say Robert Meacham in Round2 and grab someone like Napoleon Harris at MLB then we will be looking for a RB and a OLB (to replace TKO) in 2008.

Marv will surely have noticed that in terms of value for draft picks, RB and OLB are deep in 2008 so with Youboty on board it may well make sense to go DT then WR this year even if it means back to back DTs being drafted.

why will it be poor? we have plenty of cap room and we're not resigning our top two FA's. leaving us even MORE cap room.. That's bull**** and a slap to Bills fans if Wilson tightens up the purse springs.

and I confessed to not knowing alot about Okoye.. If he's a good run stopper,Im all for drafting him.. as long as we improve a DE in Free agency..

patmoran2006
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
the more I think about it.. the more I think either Okoye, Branch or Lynch are our best options..

I like jarrett too, but im not sure we need a WR as much as a couple of other guys..

again, as usual, this is WAY premature as we have to see what we get in FA first.

Philagape
02-08-2007, 02:55 PM
The run D needs help a lot more than the passing game does.

The Spaz
02-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Not way off but thought they said he was 287?

mysticsoto
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Not way off but thought they said he was 287?

He was 287 and in an interview he said he lost weight to increase his speed and that now he would focus on gaining some weight for the combine since that is what most teams he talked to wanted him to do.

Luisito23
02-08-2007, 03:27 PM
F KIPER!!...F ESPEEN!!!....IN MARV I TRUST!!!!....

GO BILLS!!!!!

R. Rich
02-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Nope, just my opinion from watching him play at Penn St. Time will tell.

If only I had seen @ least one of his Penn State performances...

The Spaz
02-08-2007, 03:29 PM
He was 287 and in an interview he said he lost weight to increase his speed and that now he would focus on gaining some weight for the combine since that is what most teams he talked to wanted him to do.

Ok cool!:up:

eyedog
02-08-2007, 05:21 PM
If only I had seen @ least one of his Penn State performances...

So you've seen all of PSU's games, big deal. You and some of the ******s at TBD also used to tell me how great baby Mikey was. Time will tell on Levi. I predict he will have to eventually be moved inside. I don't care what the draft guy's say, just my opinion from what I've seen.

Ingtar33
02-08-2007, 06:49 PM
there is no way Okoye is up around 300...

and I'll be stunned if he is 6 foot tall.

He's a one gap - 3 technique at best... likely will be a One Gap - 5 technique (3-4 DE)

I think I'll reach into my bag, and pull out the ol' terminology book, and post something soon about the DL, and penetration schemes, and why personnel matters so much.

*of course the boy is only 19, and might still add a few inches before his 21st b-day. unlikely, but it could happen

socalfan
02-08-2007, 07:27 PM

The school listed him at 305, he showed up at the senior bowl at 287. When asked about the weight drop he said he had been pretty busy lately and wasn't watching it.

Bert102176
02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
well you all know I want Willis the ILB but think we are gonna draft a offensive player

tampabay25690
02-08-2007, 08:25 PM

Jarrett is in the right palce if u ask me. He reminds me of another USC WR Mike Williams not great speed but great hands.........Jarrett does not have blazing speed. Actually Steve Smith the backup will probably be a better NFL pro just my opinion...

Bling
02-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Props for admitting you haven't seen him.

Tatonka
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
On Monday, the first day of Senior Bowl week, they showed him getting weighed live on TV. He was 287 lbs.

my bad.. i could have sworn i read he was 275.. i was wrong. sorry.

R. Rich
02-09-2007, 06:46 AM
So you've seen all of PSU's games, big deal. You and some of the ******s at TBD also used to tell me how great baby Mikey was. Time will tell on Levi. I predict he will have to eventually be moved inside. I don't care what the draft guy's say, just my opinion from what I've seen.

That's all I ever say: time will tell. Levi may be a decent LT prospect (I had projected him to be a RT prospect, but he's making believers out of people @ LT) or he may be another guy who gets moved inside. We'll see.

I preached on Mike Williams' greatness? I'd be interested to see that. I may have tried to calm down the natives when they wanted to lynch him, but I never recall saying how great he was.

R. Rich
02-09-2007, 06:49 AM

A lot will depend on what happens in free agency. If the Bills go after OL/DL help or a LB there, then there's no reason to also use a high pick on one. For instance, if we were to sign Ian Scott to play DT, there's no reason to look to draft Okoye also. Same w/ Lance Briggs and any of the top LB prospects in the draft or Eric Steinbach and the top interior OL in the draft. Signings like those would free up the top pick to be used in another direction.

R. Rich
02-09-2007, 06:51 AM
the more I think about it.. the more I think either Okoye, Branch or Lynch are our best options..

I like jarrett too, but im not sure we need a WR as much as a couple of other guys..

again, as usual, this is WAY premature as we have to see what we get in FA first.

Agreed.

Earthquake Enyart
02-09-2007, 06:51 AM
I don't want to draft an OL in round one. Too much money. Unless you are absolutely sure he's Orlando Pace, you can't take one.

And I don't think Okoye makes it down to 12. He won't be there.

R. Rich
02-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't want to draft an OL in round one. Too much money. Unless you are absolutely sure he's Orlando Pace, you can't take one.

And I don't think Okoye makes it down to 12. He won't be there.

I dunno, man. It would've been nice to see Nick Mangold added to our line, and Ruben Brown didn't do too poorly when taken in the first round.

Since the draft is one big crap shoot anyway, you take your chances w/ any player you pick. You can get stung by taking the wrong lineman (like we did w/ Mike Williams and Oakland may have w/ Robert Gallery), receiver (remember San Fransisco's Rashaun Woods?), running back (possibly LenDale White, who couldn't get past a gimpy Chris Brown or Travis Henry for playing time in Tennessee), or quarterback (a laundry list of candidates here). For the most part, it's just the luck of the draw. You can scout a player to death and still discover that, for whatever reason, they can't get it done once they make it to the pros.

Jan Reimers
02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I would guess that we will take neither a DT or CB in the first round. We have what I believe are highly regarded (by the Bills' brass, if not by some fans) players in McCargo and Youboty from last year's draft. Neither played much last year, but I think the Bills are still high on them, and will therefore look at other positions in the first round.

R. Rich
02-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I would guess that we will take neither a DT or CB in the first round. We have what I believe are highly regarded (by the Bills' brass, if not by some fans) players in McCargo and Youboty from last year's draft. Neither played much last year, but I think the Bills are still high on them, and will therefore look at other positions in the first round.

You may be right, JR. I've been curious to know where all this first round DT talk has come from, meaning is there a direct quote from the Bills organization that mentions going after a DT w/ our first round pick? Considering the trade to acquire McCargo and the free agent pickup of Triplett, I just don't know if a DT is in the Bills' plans for the first round.

I'd love to see us get a playmaker for the LB corps w/ that pick, if we don't use free agency to do it.

DraftBoy
02-09-2007, 07:14 AM

I agree with this assessment. Thats why Im a big proponent of taking a DE first, and Im not opposed to a LB (OLB or MLB). But I dont think throwing away a 1st and 3rd round pick from last year is going to happen. And I really like Youboty.

kernowboy
02-09-2007, 07:20 AM
why will it be poor? we have plenty of cap room and we're not resigning our top two FA's. leaving us even MORE cap room.. That's bull**** and a slap to Bills fans if Wilson tightens up the purse springs.

and I confessed to not knowing alot about Okoye.. If he's a good run stopper,Im all for drafting him.. as long as we improve a DE in Free agency..

Sorry Pat, I meant the overall quality in Free Agency this year is poor. Nothing really at the skills position, or DT, and there is a significant drop off in quality after the top 2 or 3 names. Plus it is easier for most teams to resign their better players this year

alohabillsfan
02-09-2007, 07:34 AM
I hope and beileve that the Bills will resign Kelsay, here are his stats,

Kelsay BUF 16 games, 1 forced fumble, 1 fum rec. 4 passes def, 5.5 sacks and a D-Line high of 61 tackles.

DraftBoy
02-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I hope and beileve that the Bills will resign Kelsay, here are his stats,

Kelsay BUF 16 games, 1 forced fumble, 1 fum rec. 4 passes def, 5.5 sacks and a D-Line high of 61 tackles.

His tackles are nice, but I believe many of those came down field from behind, he has the quickness to be a good situational pass rusher, and Id resign him as such. Id be interested to see how many TFL he had this past season.

Talk0fNewYork
02-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I'd would only be willing to give him so mutch if I was marv, but if our demands were different....see ya!

Earthquake Enyart
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
. And I really like Youboty.
Why??????