PDA

View Full Version : "The Worst Coaching Decision of the Last Decade, Bar None"

Mudflap1
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footballoutsiders/2007/02/08/Wade_Phillips_at_the_Edge_of_Reason

Jon

Night Train
02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
" He makes a great puppet ! " - Jerry Jones

Dr. Lecter
02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
This is stupid.

Lane Kiffin???????

Wade is a good coach and Ralph **** the bed when he fired him.

Bert102176
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Wade is gonna do good in Dallas he was a good coach here as far as I remember he was the coach the last time we went to the playoffs and I think we should of kept him

YardRat
02-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I think Wade would be better off sticking with coordinating than being HC in Dallas. Besides...it makes me feel a little better about the Williams and Mularkey hirings...We didn't get press like this when those guys were brought on board in Buffalo :D.

BAM
02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I agree it was a terrible decision as Flutie was way superior to RJ, but I doubt it was the worst decision of the decade.

Goobylal
02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Flutie was superior...until everyone figured-him-out. Then he was equally as useless as RJ.

SabreEleven
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
TO is going to walk all over Wade.

ricogarion
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Don't underestimate Wade he has experience and is a great coach of defenses,if he can keep jerry Jones at bay long enough he might just win in Big D.

Throne Logic
02-09-2007, 01:03 AM
I like the hire. Wade has been on the short side of two sticks now - a Denver team on the decline and a Buffalo team trying to move on after Kelly, Thurman, and company. He has an overall solid winning record. You can point out his error and quirks, but bottom line is this: how has Buffalo done since Wade was fired? And I cannot fault a guy for standing behind his subordinates, the STC as the case was in Buffalo.

Dallas is on the upswing. Good place for Wade to try again. Plus, isn't Wade a Texas guy? I wish him the best. May his decisions be quicker and more decisive this time around.

jamze132
02-09-2007, 03:49 AM
It's only a matter of time before Phillips and Owens bump heads. We ge to play Dallas next year, but I doubt they have Drew, which would be awesome, especially if he could start!

Jan Reimers
02-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Flutie was superior...until everyone figured-him-out. Then he was equally as useless as RJ.
I don't understand your comment. Whether you like him or not, Flutie was 21-9 as the starter between 1998 and 2000, while Johnson was 8-10.

Flutie was never a great NFL QB, but he won when he was here, and was much better than Johnson.

Historian
02-09-2007, 04:26 AM
This is stupid.

Uhh...I have to agree with my physician here.

And while he may not be Bill Parcells, you hire Wade Phillips....you also hire his Father as a consultant. Wade told me once that he picks his Dad's brain several times a week.

And now for this paragraph:

In Denver, Phillips squandered two of John Elway's best seasons with records of 7-9 and 9-7. But that was nothing compared to Buffalo. Yes, in Buffalo he had seasons of 10-6 and 11-5. Yes, the Bills only lost in the 1999 playoffs because of a fluke play (The Music City Miracle). But Phillips proved he shouldn't be a head coach with one decision: the decision to play Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie.

They were 10-6 and 11-5, but if you throw those out, he sucks.

Sorry...It just reeks of chicken wing sauce.

ricogarion
02-09-2007, 05:36 AM
The Monday night debacle when Wade gave up on any chance to make the playoffs had me feeling like setting his hair on fire other than that he was ok here and did a good job.But never and I mean never give up on a shot for the playoffs that lefta serious sour taste in my mouth.

Iehoshua
02-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Who really made the decision to start Johnson? My understanding was it came from Ralph...

Even if so, Wade shouldn't have listened, but that is a tough position to be in, and he did stick to his guns when he was told to fire his own coordinator.

RockStar36
02-09-2007, 07:21 AM

Exactly. Once defenders realized that all they had to do was put their arms in the air to bat it down stopped Flutie became much easier.

Ickybaluky
02-09-2007, 07:32 AM
That article is harsh on Phillips. The fact is the guy won. If they want to criticize him for his playoff losses fine, but it isn't like he was Rich Kotite.

That said, I wonder about the dynamic in Dallas. Phillips will whip that defense into shape, but they brought in Jason Garrett as a "Head Coach in Waiting", which isn't the best dynamic to have. Then you have the shadow of Jerry Jones looming over ever aspect of the operation. Finally, if they don't release him, there is the clown act that comes with having TO on your team. Top it all off with the fact he got limited security because he is only signed to a 3-year deal.

Wade seems like a nice guy and a competent coach, but he has taken over a soap opera waiting to happen. When you have out-of-control egos like Jones and Owens and your OC is a golden-boy in the eyes of the owner, it doesn't seem like a recipe for success. If the team struggles at all, people are going to be calling for Garrett to take over, with Owens probably leading the charge. The fact he is only on a 3-year deal seems to signify Jones is only looking at him to run the team by proxy for him until Garrett is ready to take over.

don137
02-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I think the worst front office move in recent history has to be a very close race between hiring Donohoe and Wilson firing Polian. I know Polian did not get along with Overdorf but Polian is a HOF GM.

Mad Bomber
02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
They were 10-6 and 11-5, but if you throw those out, he sucks.

Sorry...It just reeks of chicken wing sauce.

:roflmao: It sure does!

Earthquake Enyart
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I didn't know Tackling Dummy had a blog on Fox sports.

jimmifli
02-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Wade told me once that he picks his Dad's brain several times a week.

Wade picks his Bum?

chernobylwraiths
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
This is stupid.

Lane Kiffin???????

He was fired because he refused to fire one of the worst coaches in the NFL, his special teams coach who he hand picked and brought in without any previous experience. I liked him as our HC too.

Mudflap1
02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Wasn't the special teams coach (Ronnie Jones, right?) also Wade's brother-in-law? Or was it son-in-law?

Jon