X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Our number one issue on Offense is...

Our rushing attack. I was trying to figure out what would be the biggest impact addition on offenses and I keep coming up with RB. I'm sorry, and I'm not purposely trying to beat a dead horse, but Willis is an issue. I have been saying all along to let him run out his contract, which is almost a definite, but he may end up being a liability in the '07 campaign.

We had 3 games last season for 100 yards. That's not good. One of those came from Anthony Thomas in relief of Willis. Willis plays 14 games and has two.

Now I'm open to thoughts on the topic. Maybe our OL wasn't good enough to create holes for him. I think the bye addressed the left side and did open holes on that side. But maybe it's the OL and not Willis. Maybe our expectation are too high. He's not the same player that he was in college. Does an upgrade at RG or center help?
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Our number one issue on Offense is...

I think it's both the OL the RB, and I think we definitely need to shake things up at either RG or C.

It seems as though early in the season, the run blocking was mediocre and the pass blocking was terrible. After the line was re-shuffled, the pass protection got better but the run blocking seemed to regress. There were times when there were no holes, but there were other times when Willis just didn't run hard.

That being said, I think there's a small chance RG will be upgraded in FA but almost no chance the RB position is addressed. The best we can hope for is re-signing A-train and maybe drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round and hoping for the best.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      Our rushing attack. I was trying to figure out what would be the biggest impact addition on offenses and I keep coming up with RB. I'm sorry, and I'm not purposely trying to beat a dead horse, but Willis is an issue. I have been saying all along to let him run out his contract, which is almost a definite, but he may end up being a liability in the '07 campaign.

We had 3 games last season for 100 yards. That's not good. One of those came from Anthony Thomas in relief of Willis. Willis plays 14 games and has two.

Now I'm open to thoughts on the topic. Maybe our OL wasn't good enough to create holes for him. I think the bye addressed the left side and did open holes on that side. But maybe it's the OL and not Willis. Maybe our expectation are too high. He's not the same player that he was in college. Does an upgrade at RG or center help?

Yes!!! That's what I have been saying! We were 27th or so in rushing! The teams below us are drafting 1,2,3,4 and 5th! That should tell us alot, now it's up to OBD to determin whether or not it's Willis, O-line or both but clearly this needs to be fixed this season! We need 2 FA guards and maybe an OT, I want an O-line that any RB can run behind!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I'd like to see an upgrade over Willis, who has never recovered the speed or cutting ability that he had at Miami. The Bills, though, might very well let him play out his contract year to see if that motivates him to perform better than he has, and then make a decision on him.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Willis didn't find running room very often, but he didn't help himself. He didn't display the speed or power he showed in 04. Or the effort, except against the Jets. When he'd reach the line, he would just wait, and if he didn't like what he saw, he would just fall forward. No legs churning. No burst. No playmaking, which is what he was drafted to do.
          When we played San Diego, LT showed what a true star RB does. He would just blast right into the line whether there was a hole or not. He could make things happen on his own. It's not just talent, it's an attitude that says, "Here I come, try to stop me."
          You can blame the line if you want, but if the running game depends entirely on the line, then Willis is a non-factor who can be replaced with 20 other RBs with the same results.
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

And I don't think you can blame the college injury, because he was great in 2004, averaging over 100 yards per start.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Personally I think it was the O-line and JPs fault that the Bills running game suffered.

1) Defenses keyed on stopping the Bills run this year which opened up the offense for some big pass plays. Opponents wanted to make JP beat them. Which most defenses do against a young struggling QB.

2) Can't run if there isn't a hole to run through. But I guess the O-line excuse is only used when its appropriate to defend a certain player.

Willis will be fine next year. Defenses won't be keying on the run as much next year.

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

I think hell just froze over.

D & S Sports

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                  Personally I think it was the O-line and JPs fault that the Bills running game suffered.

1) Defenses keyed on stopping the Bills run this year which opened up the offense for some big pass plays. Opponents wanted to make JP beat them. Which most defenses do against a young struggling QB.

2) Can't run if there isn't a hole to run through. But I guess the O-line excuse is only used when its appropriate to defend a certain player.

Willis will be fine next year. Defenses won't be keying on the run as much next year.
                  Edited for TOS violation.
                  Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ublinkwescore

Edited for TOS violation.
                    LMAO !
                    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

Let us handle it.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy

It is more than that with Willis. He danced too much. He did not hit holes that were there. He did not take a small gain at times and instead lost yards or gained nothing due to the aformentioned dancing. His performance did not improve at the end of the season as JP's did.

You certainly are a lot more patient with Willis than you are with JP.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          It is more than that with Willis. He danced too much. He did not hit holes that were there. He did not take a small gain at times and instead lost yards or gained nothing due to the aformentioned dancing. His performance did not improve at the end of the season as JP's did.

You certainly are a lot more patient with Willis than you are with JP.
                          it's because he's not here for serious football discussion - he's here to piss people off - and it's really old - we've put up with it for too long.

he once again found a way to bring JP into something when a reasonable person wouldn't have.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

BTW, ublink delete some PM's.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                              LMAO !
                              As soon as I can rep again, you will probably be getting more from me - after I see if I can handle something else first.

Comment

Working...
                              X