PDA

View Full Version : Our number one issue on Offense is...

HHURRICANE
02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Our rushing attack. I was trying to figure out what would be the biggest impact addition on offenses and I keep coming up with RB. I'm sorry, and I'm not purposely trying to beat a dead horse, but Willis is an issue. I have been saying all along to let him run out his contract, which is almost a definite, but he may end up being a liability in the '07 campaign.

We had 3 games last season for 100 yards. That's not good. One of those came from Anthony Thomas in relief of Willis. Willis plays 14 games and has two.

Now I'm open to thoughts on the topic. Maybe our OL wasn't good enough to create holes for him. I think the bye addressed the left side and did open holes on that side. But maybe it's the OL and not Willis. Maybe our expectation are too high. He's not the same player that he was in college. Does an upgrade at RG or center help?

OpIv37
02-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I think it's both the OL the RB, and I think we definitely need to shake things up at either RG or C.

It seems as though early in the season, the run blocking was mediocre and the pass blocking was terrible. After the line was re-shuffled, the pass protection got better but the run blocking seemed to regress. There were times when there were no holes, but there were other times when Willis just didn't run hard.

That being said, I think there's a small chance RG will be upgraded in FA but almost no chance the RB position is addressed. The best we can hope for is re-signing A-train and maybe drafting someone in the 3rd or 4th round and hoping for the best.

alohabillsfan
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Our rushing attack. I was trying to figure out what would be the biggest impact addition on offenses and I keep coming up with RB. I'm sorry, and I'm not purposely trying to beat a dead horse, but Willis is an issue. I have been saying all along to let him run out his contract, which is almost a definite, but he may end up being a liability in the '07 campaign.

We had 3 games last season for 100 yards. That's not good. One of those came from Anthony Thomas in relief of Willis. Willis plays 14 games and has two.

Now I'm open to thoughts on the topic. Maybe our OL wasn't good enough to create holes for him. I think the bye addressed the left side and did open holes on that side. But maybe it's the OL and not Willis. Maybe our expectation are too high. He's not the same player that he was in college. Does an upgrade at RG or center help?

Yes!!! That's what I have been saying! We were 27th or so in rushing! The teams below us are drafting 1,2,3,4 and 5th! That should tell us alot, now it's up to OBD to determin whether or not it's Willis, O-line or both but clearly this needs to be fixed this season! We need 2 FA guards and maybe an OT, I want an O-line that any RB can run behind!

Jan Reimers
02-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd like to see an upgrade over Willis, who has never recovered the speed or cutting ability that he had at Miami. The Bills, though, might very well let him play out his contract year to see if that motivates him to perform better than he has, and then make a decision on him.

Philagape
02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Willis didn't find running room very often, but he didn't help himself. He didn't display the speed or power he showed in 04. Or the effort, except against the Jets. When he'd reach the line, he would just wait, and if he didn't like what he saw, he would just fall forward. No legs churning. No burst. No playmaking, which is what he was drafted to do.
When we played San Diego, LT showed what a true star RB does. He would just blast right into the line whether there was a hole or not. He could make things happen on his own. It's not just talent, it's an attitude that says, "Here I come, try to stop me."
You can blame the line if you want, but if the running game depends entirely on the line, then Willis is a non-factor who can be replaced with 20 other RBs with the same results.

Philagape
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
And I don't think you can blame the college injury, because he was great in 2004, averaging over 100 yards per start.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Personally I think it was the O-line and JPs fault that the Bills running game suffered.

1) Defenses keyed on stopping the Bills run this year which opened up the offense for some big pass plays. Opponents wanted to make JP beat them. Which most defenses do against a young struggling QB.

2) Can't run if there isn't a hole to run through. But I guess the O-line excuse is only used when its appropriate to defend a certain player.

Willis will be fine next year. Defenses won't be keying on the run as much next year.

RockStar36
02-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I think hell just froze over.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Personally I think it was the O-line and JPs fault that the Bills running game suffered.

1) Defenses keyed on stopping the Bills run this year which opened up the offense for some big pass plays. Opponents wanted to make JP beat them. Which most defenses do against a young struggling QB.

2) Can't run if there isn't a hole to run through. But I guess the O-line excuse is only used when its appropriate to defend a certain player.

Willis will be fine next year. Defenses won't be keying on the run as much next year.

Edited for TOS violation.

Night Train
02-12-2007, 11:06 AM

LMAO !

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Let us handle it.

Dr. Lecter
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM

It is more than that with Willis. He danced too much. He did not hit holes that were there. He did not take a small gain at times and instead lost yards or gained nothing due to the aformentioned dancing. His performance did not improve at the end of the season as JP's did.

You certainly are a lot more patient with Willis than you are with JP.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:27 AM
It is more than that with Willis. He danced too much. He did not hit holes that were there. He did not take a small gain at times and instead lost yards or gained nothing due to the aformentioned dancing. His performance did not improve at the end of the season as JP's did.

it's because he's not here for serious football discussion - he's here to piss people off - and it's really old - we've put up with it for too long.

he once again found a way to bring JP into something when a reasonable person wouldn't have.

Dr. Lecter
02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
BTW, ublink delete some PM's.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
LMAO !

As soon as I can rep again, you will probably be getting more :posrep: from me - after I see if I can handle something else first.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM
BTW, ublink delete some PM's.

Make me.

BillsNick
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM

So was our crappy run defense JP's fault too? :rolleyes:

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM

I agree Willis dances too much. That happens when there's no hole to run through and he's waiting for one to open up.

Willis will be running for a new contract this year. If he doesn't have a big year in a contract year then the Bills should get rid of him.

As for JPs performance improving at the end of last season, that's debatable. The last 2 games were pretty much like the first 9.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:37 AM
So was our crappy run defense JP's fault too? :rolleyes:

Partially, since JP was the leader of the offense that continuously went 3 and out and put the Bills defense back on the field.

It would have also helped if Tom Donahoe would have resigned Pat Williams a few years back.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Let us handle it.

I really wish I could have seen what you typed.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:40 AM

For the record TD - the original post that I quoted (before it was edited by a mod) would have been great for my rep.

I'm far from the only one here who is tired of your constant complaining about JP.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I really wish I could have seen what you typed.

LMAO, dude, first you complain that you can still see my posts when you have me on ignore, now you want to see what I typed. Make up your mind.

I read your orginal post. I don't personally attack you so I don't know why you feel the need to attack me.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
LMAO, dude, first you complain that you can still see my posts when you have me on ignore, now you want to see what I typed. Make up your mind.

I read your orginal post. I don't personally attack you so I don't know why you feel the need to attack me.

because you knew I had you on ignore, and you were still groaning me.

I have an idea - why don't we both put each other on ignore??

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I have an idea - why don't we both put each other on ignore??

Bad Idea, your opinion doesn't bother me. No one's opinion does. Just your stupid personal attacks do. If you told me my typing, grammer, spelling sucks, I wouldn't care.

And I will never use the ignore feature. If someday I feel I should use the ignore feature then that will be the day I no longer come to a message board.

ublinkwescore
02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Bad Idea, your opinion doesn't bother me. No one's opinion does. Just your stupid personal attacks do. If you told me my typing, grammer, spelling sucks, I wouldn't care.

And I will never use the ignore feature. If someday I feel I should use the ignore feature then that will be the day I no longer come to a message board.

then quit groaning me while I have you on ignore.

TacklingDummy
02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
How's the weather in Atwater?

Dr. Lecter
02-12-2007, 12:15 PM
As for JPs performance improving at the end of last season, that's debatable. The last 2 games were pretty much like the first 9.

Baltimore has a great defense.

His game was comprable to most other QB's had against the Ravens.

ICE74129
02-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Its a two part issue that isnt the chicken and the egg. 1) its willis, I don't have to say anymore as many here feel the same way.

2) Right guard sucks. Some feel guard play is something we can get from a mid tier FA, its not going to happen and we aren't putting a rookie next to a first year guy.

Look at how the loss of hutchenson hurt Seattle and how it helped the Vikes Running game. Granted the numbers weren't great yet, but they did have their first 1000 yard rusher in some time.

This is the one position that marv MUST spend some serious money on even if it means out bidding to get a damn good RG

alohabillsfan
02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Its a two part issue that isnt the chicken and the egg. 1) its willis, I don't have to say anymore as many here feel the same way.

2) Right guard sucks. Some feel guard play is something we can get from a mid tier FA, its not going to happen and we aren't putting a rookie next to a first year guy.

Look at how the loss of hutchenson hurt Seattle and how it helped the Vikes Running game. Granted the numbers weren't great yet, but they did have their first 1000 yard rusher in some time.

This is the one position that marv MUST spend some serious money on even if it means out bidding to get a damn good RG

Yep, Two guards! I want this O-line set for the next 5 years! Then we can build depth, and put any RB back there to get 1300 yards! Makes are running game better, passing game better and defense better! Come on Marv pull it off!

YardRat
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM

That's a valid point that shouldn't be so easily dismissed. It was the book on Buffalo's offense all year.

HHURRICANE
02-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Great post and point.

YardRat
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM

They went from 25th in the league in total offense to 21st, and their record dropped to 6-10 from 9-7.

Not a great signing, IMO.

YardRat
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
And points scored went from 19th to 26th.

The defense actually improved in points against, from 19th to 14th.

Night Train
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree Willis dances too much. That happens when there's no hole to run through and he's waiting for one to open up.

What imaginary tripe.

Sitting in the stands, I saw holes as Willis decided to dance and stop flat footed, then attempted to try and restart as the D smothered him. He hesitated to a fault, instead of hitting the line hard for a sure 3,4 yards. Waiting for the parting of the red sea resulted in a few good long runs but plenty of missed opportunities for positive yardage.

In my 40 years of watching the Bills, he may be the most frustrating head case I've ever seen. His next contract will hopefully be with another team. We could do far better at RB.

HHURRICANE
02-12-2007, 06:28 PM
What imaginary tripe.

Sitting in the stands, I saw holes as Willis decided to dance and stop flat footed, then attempted to try and restart as the D smothered him. He hesitated to a fault, instead of hitting the line hard for a sure 3,4 yards. Waiting for the parting of the red sea resulted in a few good long runs but plenty of missed opportunities for positive yardage.

In my 40 years of watching the Bills, he may be the most frustrating head case I've ever seen. His next contract will hopefully be with another team. We could do far better at RB.

Wow, somebody actually saw the same thing.

wbat27
02-13-2007, 06:45 PM
With everything said how often did willis make somthing happen. Good running backs make things happen, which leads to firstdowns, which leads to victories. It also builds the confidence of the offensive line. If the running back makes plays when the offensive line isn't at its best, it will motivate the line to make the blocks that will give the rb the oppurtunity to take over the game.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
With everything said how often did willis make somthing happen. Good running backs make things happen, which leads to firstdowns, which leads to victories. It also builds the confidence of the offensive line. If the running back makes plays when the offensive line isn't at its best, it will motivate the line to make the blocks that will give the rb the oppurtunity to take over the game.

Yep. 100% right.

ublinkwescore
02-13-2007, 09:07 PM
How's the weather in Atwater?

I don't know - I sleep during the day because I work at night...

Dark?

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't know - I sleep during the day because I work at night...

Dark?

Ahhh, I also prefer the night shift. Can get alot more done during the day/afternoon when working nights.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2007, 06:57 PM

:laughter:

for somebody who harped on me about losman,you should look in the mirror.

SABURZFAN
02-14-2007, 07:04 PM

:laughter:

if that isn't instigating,i don't know what is.

X-Era
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

I think your very right here.

oak tree 12
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM

the reason we couldn't run was because both our guards flat out stink!
if i had my druthers we would trade down in the first and stay ahead of Dallas and draft blalock,then in the second pray ben grubbs falls to us and we would have our guard tandem for the next 10 years. blalock is a very experienced nasty physical road grader and grubbs is a bit more athletic but less experienced. its time we seriously address our o/line for the first time in the last 6 years ,both these fellas would have no problem starting as rookies,since guard is one of the few spots where its quite common to start as rookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!