PDA

View Full Version : Chargers | Schottenheimer fired

more cowbell
02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.kffl.com/images/hot_sign.jpgChargers | Schottenheimer fired
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:59:33 -0800
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/31/nfl">San Diego Chargers have fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer (http://www.kffl.com/player/1980/nfl).

Mitchy moo
02-12-2007, 08:06 PM
whoa. Can we bring him in as a offense coordinator?? please..

Iehoshua
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Damn, wonder why they waited this long...

ajsdx
02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
yeah, wtf. worst timing ever.

BILLSROCK1212
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
******ed crazy stupid all of those.....they are gonna have to totally rebuild their coaching staff now

Ickybaluky
02-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Did he sign his extension? Didn't they just give him an extra year through 2008, with a option buyout of $1M on top of that?

He must have had a blowout with A.J. Smith.

Mitchy moo
02-12-2007, 08:25 PM
The San Diego Chargers have fired coach Marty Schottenheimer.
Schottenheimer compiled a 47-33 record during five seasons in San Diego. But the Chargers haven't had much success in the playoffs.
San Diego suffered a tough loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC divisional round to close out the 2006 season.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17123360/

Devin
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Wow, interesting timing.

Norv Turner?

Bmax
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
YEAH I CALLED THIS AFTER THEIR LOSS TO THE PATS......Who will they bring in now at this late date..... ? Cotrell was rumored to be the new def coord....Ron Rivera will get interviewed....Who else ?

Nice Job for new coach .........

Bmax

TigerJ
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Granted Schotzy always struggles in the playoffs, but they could do a lot worse in a head coach, and will if they hire Norv Turner.

Mr.Reality
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
As a Lions fan, it doesn't concern me. We have Matt Millen. All will be well.

camelcowboy
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Well they lost both their cordinators, he was in a position to have to hire a new staff. If he's not your man, then you should have a new coach start fresh instead of possible firing him next year if he struggles, and firing the cordinators he hired this year.

Crappy timing but the cowboys hiring wade forced their hand

Dr. Lecter
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Did he sign his extension? Didn't they just give him an extra year through 2008, with a option buyout of $1M on top of that?

He never signed the extension.

I bet he is PO'd about that now.

dolphan117
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
This is all AJ Smith, he has hated Martys guts for quite a while now. It was a matter of time before one of them had to go.

HAMMER
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Well they lost both their cordinators, he was in a position to have to hire a new staff. If he's not your man, then you should have a new coach start fresh instead of possible firing him next year if he struggles, and firing the cordinators he hired this year.

Crappy timing but the cowboys hiring wade forced their hand

Zactly, it was the right time.

YardRat
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
whoa. Can we bring him in as a offense coordinator?? please..

Jesus...I really hope that was a joke, Skoob.

BILLSROCK1212
02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
I think Mike Singletary gets the job otherwise Jim Caldwell and Norv Turner with an outside shot

YardRat
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM

They just stated on the local sports newscast that 'the relationship between Marty and Smith had become dysfunctional'.

imbondz
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
lol. poor Chargers fans, oh so close... back to the basement you go.

feelthepain
02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Well does it matter? According to Bill fans the Chargers won because of Talent not coaching and some remarks made were "anyone could coach that team and win" or "Cam's not a good coach, he just had a bunch of talent that anyone could coach to the playoffs"! Well we shall see, anyone think the Chargers are gonna be a playoff team now?? They didn't lose any players, just coaches.

imbondz
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
but they lost all of them.

camelcowboy
02-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Well does it matter? According to Bill fans the Chargers won because of Talent not coaching and some remarks made were "anyone could coach that team and win" or "Cam's not a good coach, he just had a bunch of talent that anyone could coach to the playoffs"! Well we shall see, anyone think the Chargers are gonna be a playoff team now?? They didn't lose any players, just coaches.

They're going to struggle, when a playoff team changes the entire coaching staff this late in the game its going to hurt. Will they make the playoffs? Ill reserve judgement until i see who they bring in.

Night Train
02-13-2007, 02:23 AM
They will still make the playoffs.

Now they may have an actual chance of winning a playoff game.

Curious timing but candidates exist. You hire an offensive guy like Norv Turner to be the Coach/OC and then Ted Cottrell to run the D and you're staying at the top of the division.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Yeah, I forgot he turned down the extension. It is curious they waited until after they lost Cameron, Phillips, Manusky and Chudzinski. It is like they waited until after all the in-house candidates were gone. Perhaps that was by plan, for they wanted a clean break?

Speculation is they already have an candidate lined up. Pete Carroll?

ricogarion
02-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I heard that Shotty wanted to bring his brother aboard and that broke the camels back.

Bert102176
02-13-2007, 05:19 AM
and they are losing 1 hell of a player Donnie Edwards is leaving a LB that I really like

ricogarion
02-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Donnie Edwards is a class player.Now that would help the Bills they need linebackers.

Don't Panic
02-13-2007, 07:31 AM
I read something this morning that said Jimmy Johnson and Spanos were tight. If there was ever a time Jimmy would get back in the game, this would be it.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 07:32 AM
I think Mike Singletary gets the job otherwise Jim Caldwell and Norv Turner with an outside shot

Pete Carroll!!

Jeff1220
02-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Pete Carroll was the first one I thought of too. National signing day just passed, he may now leave w/o screwing up the 07 recruiting class (he will have screwed the 07 recruiting class, however).

Historian
02-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not totally sold on AJ Smith, to be perfectly honest. He seems to have an eye for talent, but had some difficulties getting along with certain folks here I believe.

I hate these little egotistical power plays.

That was the best team that San Diego had fielded since 1963. If you got problems, work it out for chrissakes.

TigerJ
02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm still skeptical that Pete Carroll would leave what he's got at USC to go back to the nuthouse that is NFL coaching. He is a god at USC. He loves recruiting and is the best at it in college ranks. He would not earn any more in the pro ranks than he earns at USC. The fans are more passionate. The only thing in favor of the pro ranks is the lure of winning at the highest level.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm still skeptical that Pete Carroll would leave what he's got at USC to go back to the nuthouse that is NFL coaching. He is a god at USC. He loves recruiting and is the best at it in college ranks. He would not earn any more in the pro ranks than he earns at USC. The fans are more passionate. The only thing in favor of the pro ranks is the lure of winning at the highest level.

I actually agree with you. However, your staying in CA and taking over a team that went 14-2 and is bringing almost everyone back. If there was ever a "homerun" for a guy that would like to win the Super Bowl this is it.

feelthepain
02-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I actually agree with you. However, your staying in CA and taking over a team that went 14-2 and is bringing almost everyone back. If there was ever a "homerun" for a guy that would like to win the Super Bowl this is it.

Still doesn't guarantee success and the unknown is enough to prevent Caroll from leavig a sweet situation. Besides Caroll made it clear if he were to leave USC he would have to have total control wherever he goes, and AJ Smith isn't going to let that happen, so my guess would be Caroll won't even be considered, unless he changes his demands.

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Keep an eye on Ted Cottrell.

He is my darkhorse candidate.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Still doesn't guarantee success and the unknown is enough to prevent Caroll from leavig a sweet situation. Besides Caroll made it clear if he were to leave USC he would have to have total control wherever he goes, and AJ Smith isn't going to let that happen, so my guess would be Caroll won't even be considered, unless he changes his demands.

Carroll would have to change his thought process because AJ Smith is a clone of TD with a better record. But for 10 million a year and a legitimate shot of winning a Super Bowl it's pretty hard to pass up.

RBI90
02-13-2007, 02:48 PM
lol. poor Chargers fans, oh so close... back to the basement you go.

The Chargers are way too talented. Any coach would LOVE to have that roster. If they bring in a known coach who doesn't change too many things, there isn't any reason why the Chargers can't contend for the SB next year.

Jimmy Johnson left the Cowboys after a 12-4 season. Barry Switzer comes in and finishes 12-4 in 94 and 12-4 and a SB win in 95.

Albany,n.y.
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Steve Mariucci will be the Chargers next coach.

STAMPY
02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I wonder if SPITE had anything to do with this. There was plenty of HATE between two sides. It is public knowledge AJ and Marty hated each other. I wonder if the reason he was canned this late was cause AJ wanted the open coaching decisions to be filled before Marty was canned? Final dagger