Do you "experts" really think the Bills will not spend any of their 33 Million?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Do you "experts" really think the Bills will not spend any of their 33 Million?

Your ****ing nuts!
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Re: Do you "experts" really think the Bills will not spend any of their 33 Million?

or are they Nucking Futs

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Re: Do you "experts" really think the Bills will not spend any of their 33 Million?

They have to spend most of it. The Cap is 109 Mil and they must spend 92-94 of it, as per the players agreement. Mr. Clump or others could probably provide the exact figure.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

After we factor in the Wire signing, rookie pool, escalator clauses and signing a few more of our free agents... The figure will be down to $20M or less.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

We'll spend a good portion of it.

Only "The Sky is Falling" contingent thinks that Ralph will keep it all under his mattress.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by draz54
            After we factor in the Wire signing, rookie pool, escalator clauses and signing a few more of our free agents... The figure will be down to $20M or less.
            With 20 mill qe could make HUGE signings, but will we?...............

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              We'll spend a good portion of it.

Only "The Sky is Falling" contingent thinks that Ralph will keep it all under his mattress.
              I agree.

I would be surprised, though, if the Bills spend a lot of it on bringing in free agents. Instead, I think that they may use some of their cap room to tie up a couple of the players that they really like with extensions (ie Lee Evans, JP Losman and, yes, perhaps even McGahee). If they do that, they won't have nearly as much to spend on bringing in new players, but it will stablize the team for the future and would probably create a feeling in the lockerroom that "if you do well, the team will reward you", which will only serve the team well down the road (and is more in keeping with what M.Levy's philosophy seems to be).
              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                • May 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
                With 20 mill qe could make HUGE signings, but will we?...............
                Like last year, I think we will make FA signings to fill some needs and add depth, but use the draft as our key to building a playoff contender.

In other words, we won't use the Redskin model.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  Like last year, I think we will make FA signings to fill some needs and add depth, but use the draft as our key to building a playoff contender.

In other words, we won't use the Redskin model.
                  Redskins or the Colts model?

Be careful whether you think we are re-inventing the atomic bomb or the wheel.

Its easy to me.

If you sign more of the same, you can expect to be the same. If you sign players that make you tangibly and drastically better, you can expect to be better.

Why did it not work for the Skins? how about head coach. The talent is there, with a notable exception at QB. Will you hear me say you dont need a stud QB? NEVER. Why did it work for the Colts (resigning their own), the head coach and keeping the talent there.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

Of course they will spend some of it. They have to fill a 53 man roster. We might see one player that will get a 4yr/5yr-20 million dollar contract or so but the rest of them will be like last year. A bunch of scrub castoffs making 2.5 million a year.

Instead of signing good players for 6 million a year or so they will opt for more junk signings like last year and tie up another 10-15 million of cap room on scrub players with a minimal signing bonus and 3 year contracts or so with averages of 2.5 million.

By the time this season is done with we will probably have about 25 million tied up into backup non-impact castoffs all making 2.5 million a year over the last 2 FA periods. All overpaid and none of them making a difference.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

The key to being successful in the NFL is not signing free agents to huge contracts. Look at Indy, NE and Pittsburgh. Name all the big free agents they signed to win their championships. The key is drafting great personnel, building from within, keeping those players by not breaking the bank and filling a few holes via free agency. The Bills have a very successful draft last year and if they have a draft as good as last year this team will build upon a very good foundation. I am sure they will get a few free agents but I don't see them signing anyone huge. The team is heading into the right direction. The sky isn't falling like many have indicated. I think with another good draft and a few free agents signing this team will be in the playoffs next year.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
                        Redskins or the Colts model?

Be careful whether you think we are re-inventing the atomic bomb or the wheel.

Its easy to me.

If you sign more of the same, you can expect to be the same. If you sign players that make you tangibly and drastically better, you can expect to be better.

Why did it not work for the Skins? how about head coach. The talent is there, with a notable exception at QB. Will you hear me say you dont need a stud QB? NEVER. Why did it work for the Colts (resigning their own), the head coach and keeping the talent there.
                        I only mentioned the Redskins, who have signed expensive, high profile FAs with absolutely no results, despite having a HOF coach.

I didn't name the Colts, and I wasn't talking about re-signing our own. And I didn't get into coaching.

Don't make me look stupid by attributing things to me which I didn't address.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by don137
                          The key to being successful in the NFL is not signing free agents to huge contracts. Look at Indy, NE and Pittsburgh. Name all the big free agents they signed to win their championships? The key is drafting great personnel, building from within, keeping those players by not breaking the bank and filling a few holes via free agency. The Bills have a very successful draft last year and if they have a draft as good as last year this team will build upon a very good foundation. I am sure they will get a few free agents but I don't see them signing anyone huge. The team is heading into the right direction. The sky isn't falling like many have indicated. I think with another good draft and a few free agents signing this team will be in the playoffs next year.
                          The one thing you failed to note with Indy is although they didn't sign many high priced FA's they paid the money to keep their own best players around. Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Glenn(and others on their OL)

This is something that we have failed to do. It's not so much the fact that we HAVE to sign FA's from other teams it's that we don't shell out the money to keep our best homegrown talent.

Sure we will keep guys around like Denny, Reed and others. All dime a dozen players that won't cost much money. When one of our best players comes up for FA and deserve to be paid they will let them walk because they are too cheap to pay out the money.

I'd rather keep our own best players around and if they did that then we wouldn't need to have this conversation about signing FA's. It doesn't hurt to sign a top FA that fits a need you don't currently have one your team though.

So our situation isn't anything like the Colts. They couldn't afford to go out in FA and sign big name players every year because they shelled out millions and millions to keep their best players on their team around as where we just would've let them walk and replaced them with some cheap scrub off the FA market.

The Colts have been spent to the cap limit and had to make other moves to stay under the cap for any given season because they have millions upon millions tied up into their best players. We don't and we would just rather sit around on 10 million or so and not give our best players the big bucks they deserve or high signing bonuses.

Do you really think the Bills would've kept ALL them guys around like Manning, Wayne AND Harrison, Glenn and other of their top offensive lineman? Not a chance. That is a ton of money in signing bonuses that the Bills refuse to shell out at a time.

The Bills would've kept Manning, let Harrison walk because Wayne was there and under a cheap rookie contract at the time and then a 50/50 chance of re-signing Wayne after his contract came up. We would've drafted his replacement a year or two early and then let him walk.

There is no way we would've paid out all the bucks to keep the OL together for years and years.

That is a lot of money paid out to their OWN players. We won't even keep our high priced homegrown players around. We settle for the average dime a dozen players instead that will only cost a couple million or so to keep around. When it comes time for one of the best players to make 7 million that's when we would let them walk.

One other huge factor is we don't have Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher or Bill Belichek. We have Dick Jauron. Don't even try to comapre Jauron to them guys or that is really homeristic. If they had to they can do more with less talent then somebody like Jauron could.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                            Of course they will spend some of it. They have to fill a 53 man roster. We might see one player that will get a 4yr/5yr-20 million dollar contract or so but the rest of them will be like last year. A bunch of scrub castoffs making 2.5 million a year.

Instead of signing good players for 6 million a year or so they will opt for more junk signings like last year and tie up another 10-15 million of cap room on scrub players with a minimal signing bonus and 3 year contracts or so with averages of 2.5 million.

By the time this season is done with we will probably have about 25 million tied up into backup non-impact castoffs all making 2.5 million a year over the last 2 FA periods. All overpaid and none of them making a difference.
                            What do you have crystal ball or a time machine? How the F do you know?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                              The one thing you failed to note with Indy is although they didn't sign many high priced FA's they paid the money to keep their own best players around. Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Glenn(and others on their OL)

This is something that we have failed to do. It's not so much the fact that we HAVE to sign FA's from other teams it's that we don't shell out the money to keep our best homegrown talent.

Sure we will keep guys around like Denny, Reed and others. All dime a dozen players that won't cost much money. When one of our best players comes up for FA and deserve to be paid they will let them walk because they are too cheap to pay out the money.

I'd rather keep our own best players around and if they did that then we wouldn't need to have this conversation about signing FA's. It doesn't hurt to sign a top FA that fits a need you don't currently have one your team though.

So our situation isn't anything like the Colts. They couldn't afford to go out in FA and sign big name players every year because they shelled out millions and millions to keep their best players on their team around as where we just would've let them walk and replaced them with some cheap scrub off the FA market.

The Colts have been spent to the cap limit and had to make other moves to stay under the cap for any given season because they have millions upon millions tied up into their best players. We don't and we would just rather sit around on 10 million or so and not give our best players the big bucks they deserve or high signing bonuses.

Do you really think the Bills would've kept ALL them guys around like Manning, Wayne AND Harrison, Glenn and other of their top offensive lineman? Not a chance. That is a ton of money in signing bonuses that the Bills refuse to shell out at a time.

The Bills would've kept Manning, let Harrison walk because Wayne was there and under a cheap rookie contract at the time and then a 50/50 chance of re-signing Wayne after his contract came up. We would've drafted his replacement a year or two early and then let him walk.

There is no way we would've paid out all the bucks to keep the OL together for years and years.

That is a lot of money paid out to their OWN players. We won't even keep our high priced homegrown players around. We settle for the average dime a dozen players instead that will only cost a couple million or so to keep around. When it comes time for one of the best players to make 7 million that's when we would let them walk.

One other huge factor is we don't have Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher or Bill Belichek. We have Dick Jauron. Don't even try to comapre Jauron to them guys or that is really homeristic. If they had to they can do more with less talent then somebody like Jauron could.
                              I think we should keep Clements for sure BUT do you really think Fletcher is equivalent to keeping a Harrison/Glenn for the Colts? Remember the Colts did let Edge walk too.

Comment

Working...
                              X