PDA

View Full Version : Do you "experts" really think the Bills will not spend any of their 33 Million?

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Your ****ing nuts!

LtFinFan66
02-13-2007, 06:13 AM
or are they Nucking Futs:idunno:

Night Train
02-13-2007, 06:20 AM
They have to spend most of it. The Cap is 109 Mil and they must spend 92-94 of it, as per the players agreement. Mr. Clump or others could probably provide the exact figure.

Yasgur's Farm
02-13-2007, 06:31 AM
After we factor in the Wire signing, rookie pool, escalator clauses and signing a few more of our free agents... The figure will be down to $20M or less.

Jan Reimers
02-13-2007, 06:39 AM
We'll spend a good portion of it.

Only "The Sky is Falling" contingent thinks that Ralph will keep it all under his mattress.

X-Era
02-13-2007, 06:45 AM
After we factor in the Wire signing, rookie pool, escalator clauses and signing a few more of our free agents... The figure will be down to $20M or less.

With 20 mill qe could make HUGE signings, but will we?...............

LifetimeBillsFan
02-13-2007, 06:50 AM
We'll spend a good portion of it.

Only "The Sky is Falling" contingent thinks that Ralph will keep it all under his mattress.

I agree.

I would be surprised, though, if the Bills spend a lot of it on bringing in free agents. Instead, I think that they may use some of their cap room to tie up a couple of the players that they really like with extensions (ie Lee Evans, JP Losman and, yes, perhaps even McGahee). If they do that, they won't have nearly as much to spend on bringing in new players, but it will stablize the team for the future and would probably create a feeling in the lockerroom that "if you do well, the team will reward you", which will only serve the team well down the road (and is more in keeping with what M.Levy's philosophy seems to be).

Jan Reimers
02-13-2007, 06:52 AM
With 20 mill qe could make HUGE signings, but will we?...............
Like last year, I think we will make FA signings to fill some needs and add depth, but use the draft as our key to building a playoff contender.

In other words, we won't use the Redskin model.

X-Era
02-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Like last year, I think we will make FA signings to fill some needs and add depth, but use the draft as our key to building a playoff contender.

In other words, we won't use the Redskin model.

Redskins or the Colts model?

Be careful whether you think we are re-inventing the atomic bomb or the wheel.

Its easy to me.

If you sign more of the same, you can expect to be the same. If you sign players that make you tangibly and drastically better, you can expect to be better.

Why did it not work for the Skins? how about head coach. The talent is there, with a notable exception at QB. Will you hear me say you dont need a stud QB? NEVER. Why did it work for the Colts (resigning their own), the head coach and keeping the talent there.

BillsFever21
02-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Of course they will spend some of it. They have to fill a 53 man roster. We might see one player that will get a 4yr/5yr-20 million dollar contract or so but the rest of them will be like last year. A bunch of scrub castoffs making 2.5 million a year.

Instead of signing good players for 6 million a year or so they will opt for more junk signings like last year and tie up another 10-15 million of cap room on scrub players with a minimal signing bonus and 3 year contracts or so with averages of 2.5 million.

By the time this season is done with we will probably have about 25 million tied up into backup non-impact castoffs all making 2.5 million a year over the last 2 FA periods. All overpaid and none of them making a difference.

don137
02-13-2007, 07:12 AM
The key to being successful in the NFL is not signing free agents to huge contracts. Look at Indy, NE and Pittsburgh. Name all the big free agents they signed to win their championships. The key is drafting great personnel, building from within, keeping those players by not breaking the bank and filling a few holes via free agency. The Bills have a very successful draft last year and if they have a draft as good as last year this team will build upon a very good foundation. I am sure they will get a few free agents but I don't see them signing anyone huge. The team is heading into the right direction. The sky isn't falling like many have indicated. I think with another good draft and a few free agents signing this team will be in the playoffs next year.

Jan Reimers
02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Redskins or the Colts model?

Be careful whether you think we are re-inventing the atomic bomb or the wheel.

Its easy to me.

If you sign more of the same, you can expect to be the same. If you sign players that make you tangibly and drastically better, you can expect to be better.

Why did it not work for the Skins? how about head coach. The talent is there, with a notable exception at QB. Will you hear me say you dont need a stud QB? NEVER. Why did it work for the Colts (resigning their own), the head coach and keeping the talent there.
I only mentioned the Redskins, who have signed expensive, high profile FAs with absolutely no results, despite having a HOF coach.

I didn't name the Colts, and I wasn't talking about re-signing our own. And I didn't get into coaching.

Don't make me look stupid by attributing things to me which I didn't address.

BillsFever21
02-13-2007, 07:27 AM
The key to being successful in the NFL is not signing free agents to huge contracts. Look at Indy, NE and Pittsburgh. Name all the big free agents they signed to win their championships? The key is drafting great personnel, building from within, keeping those players by not breaking the bank and filling a few holes via free agency. The Bills have a very successful draft last year and if they have a draft as good as last year this team will build upon a very good foundation. I am sure they will get a few free agents but I don't see them signing anyone huge. The team is heading into the right direction. The sky isn't falling like many have indicated. I think with another good draft and a few free agents signing this team will be in the playoffs next year.

The one thing you failed to note with Indy is although they didn't sign many high priced FA's they paid the money to keep their own best players around. Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Glenn(and others on their OL)

This is something that we have failed to do. It's not so much the fact that we HAVE to sign FA's from other teams it's that we don't shell out the money to keep our best homegrown talent.

Sure we will keep guys around like Denny, Reed and others. All dime a dozen players that won't cost much money. When one of our best players comes up for FA and deserve to be paid they will let them walk because they are too cheap to pay out the money.

I'd rather keep our own best players around and if they did that then we wouldn't need to have this conversation about signing FA's. It doesn't hurt to sign a top FA that fits a need you don't currently have one your team though.

So our situation isn't anything like the Colts. They couldn't afford to go out in FA and sign big name players every year because they shelled out millions and millions to keep their best players on their team around as where we just would've let them walk and replaced them with some cheap scrub off the FA market.

The Colts have been spent to the cap limit and had to make other moves to stay under the cap for any given season because they have millions upon millions tied up into their best players. We don't and we would just rather sit around on 10 million or so and not give our best players the big bucks they deserve or high signing bonuses.

Do you really think the Bills would've kept ALL them guys around like Manning, Wayne AND Harrison, Glenn and other of their top offensive lineman? Not a chance. That is a ton of money in signing bonuses that the Bills refuse to shell out at a time.

The Bills would've kept Manning, let Harrison walk because Wayne was there and under a cheap rookie contract at the time and then a 50/50 chance of re-signing Wayne after his contract came up. We would've drafted his replacement a year or two early and then let him walk.

There is no way we would've paid out all the bucks to keep the OL together for years and years.

That is a lot of money paid out to their OWN players. We won't even keep our high priced homegrown players around. We settle for the average dime a dozen players instead that will only cost a couple million or so to keep around. When it comes time for one of the best players to make 7 million that's when we would let them walk.

One other huge factor is we don't have Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher or Bill Belichek. We have Dick Jauron. Don't even try to comapre Jauron to them guys or that is really homeristic. If they had to they can do more with less talent then somebody like Jauron could.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Of course they will spend some of it. They have to fill a 53 man roster. We might see one player that will get a 4yr/5yr-20 million dollar contract or so but the rest of them will be like last year. A bunch of scrub castoffs making 2.5 million a year.

Instead of signing good players for 6 million a year or so they will opt for more junk signings like last year and tie up another 10-15 million of cap room on scrub players with a minimal signing bonus and 3 year contracts or so with averages of 2.5 million.

By the time this season is done with we will probably have about 25 million tied up into backup non-impact castoffs all making 2.5 million a year over the last 2 FA periods. All overpaid and none of them making a difference.
What do you have crystal ball or a time machine? How the F do you know?

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 07:29 AM
The one thing you failed to note with Indy is although they didn't sign many high priced FA's they paid the money to keep their own best players around. Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Glenn(and others on their OL)

This is something that we have failed to do. It's not so much the fact that we HAVE to sign FA's from other teams it's that we don't shell out the money to keep our best homegrown talent.

Sure we will keep guys around like Denny, Reed and others. All dime a dozen players that won't cost much money. When one of our best players comes up for FA and deserve to be paid they will let them walk because they are too cheap to pay out the money.

I'd rather keep our own best players around and if they did that then we wouldn't need to have this conversation about signing FA's. It doesn't hurt to sign a top FA that fits a need you don't currently have one your team though.

So our situation isn't anything like the Colts. They couldn't afford to go out in FA and sign big name players every year because they shelled out millions and millions to keep their best players on their team around as where we just would've let them walk and replaced them with some cheap scrub off the FA market.

The Colts have been spent to the cap limit and had to make other moves to stay under the cap for any given season because they have millions upon millions tied up into their best players. We don't and we would just rather sit around on 10 million or so and not give our best players the big bucks they deserve or high signing bonuses.

Do you really think the Bills would've kept ALL them guys around like Manning, Wayne AND Harrison, Glenn and other of their top offensive lineman? Not a chance. That is a ton of money in signing bonuses that the Bills refuse to shell out at a time.

The Bills would've kept Manning, let Harrison walk because Wayne was there and under a cheap rookie contract at the time and then a 50/50 chance of re-signing Wayne after his contract came up. We would've drafted his replacement a year or two early and then let him walk.

There is no way we would've paid out all the bucks to keep the OL together for years and years.

That is a lot of money paid out to their OWN players. We won't even keep our high priced homegrown players around. We settle for the average dime a dozen players instead that will only cost a couple million or so to keep around. When it comes time for one of the best players to make 7 million that's when we would let them walk.

One other huge factor is we don't have Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher or Bill Belichek. We have Dick Jauron. Don't even try to comapre Jauron to them guys or that is really homeristic. If they had to they can do more with less talent then somebody like Jauron could.

I think we should keep Clements for sure BUT do you really think Fletcher is equivalent to keeping a Harrison/Glenn for the Colts? Remember the Colts did let Edge walk too.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 07:30 AM
It is this negative know it all mentality around here and in Buffalo that makes me sick. Truth is we have no idea what will happen?

TigerJ
02-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I think the Bills will spend out of their cap room, but there is one ominous sign I would remind people of. League negotiations about revenue sharing are at a standstill and high revenue clubs are looking for any excuse they can not to pay small market teams. Buffalo should have received money for last season, but so far hasn't received a penny. Ralph Wilson could start to feel the pinch pretty soon if progress isn't made and money starts to come through. When that happens, he may be tempted not to spend up to the limits of his cap room.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 07:37 AM
It is this negative know it all mentality around here and in Buffalo that makes me sick. Truth is we have no idea what will happen?

I can't stand your post and I know what I'm talking about. I've seen the future and, well, I can't share it with you right now.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
It's not the cap room that's the problem. It's the signing bonus. Will Ralph pony up the signing bonus to get players here like Briggs or to keep players like Nate?

Or are the Bills just going to sign players like Reed, Davis, Price, Royal, Wire, Bowen, Fowler who had small signing bonuses.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
I can't stand your post and I know what I'm talking about. I've seen the future and, well, I can't share it with you right now.
Ok great.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 07:46 AM
It's not the cap room that's the problem. It's the signing bonus. Will Ralph pony up the signing bonus to get players here like Briggs or to keep players like Nate?

Or are the Bills just going to sign players like Reed, Davis, Price, Royal, Wire, Bowen, Fowler who had small signing bonuses.
I have no idea do you?

Devin
02-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I can see the bills spending 20-25 re-signing players and bringing in a few "role players". That plus the draft maybe all we get.

Not necessarily a terrible thing, I just dont think we will have any blockbuster 30-40-50 mil type deals.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 07:51 AM
I have no idea do you?

Nope, no idea.

If I had to guess I'd say no.

My evidence why I think no...

1) Could have worked out a contract with Nate last year.

2) Ralph has complained to the media how many times about money?

3) Small market

4) I don't recall the Bills ever given anyone a big signing bonus.

The Bills usually always spend out to the cap. And they probably will again this year. Signing a bunch of scrubs for 1-2 million apiece adds up fast.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 07:51 AM
All kidding aside I think everyone should prep themselves for a mediocre FA run.

We are not resigining Clements unless he doesn't get over paid in the open market. Fletcher is for sure gone.

Briggs will be tagged for sure. Steinbach isn't going to play for the Bills. We don't need Asante Samuels and would cost us the same money as Clements.

So who's coming here that Ralph isn't paying for?

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Nope, no idea.

Didn't Spikes get a 9 or 10 million dollar signing bonus?

I guess Nate's agent saying that it was 100% that they were testing free agency isn't good enough for you. For the zillionth time, he want's to be the highest paid player at his position. Should we do that deal?

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Nope, no idea.

2) Ralph has complained to the media how many times about money?

3) Small market

The Bills usually always spend out to the cap. And they probably will again this year. Signing a bunch of scrubs for 1-2 million apiece adds up fast.
Right Spikes, Fletcher, Spielman, Paup, Sam Adams.... All small time signings....

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Right Spikes, Fletcher, Spielman, Paup, Sam Adams.... All small time signings....

Signings wasn't my point. Signing bonuses were. What was their signing bonus?

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 08:11 AM

Signings like those need to have big signing bonus's. Otherwise they sign elsewhere.

And add Milloy to the list. As well as Moulds and Bledsoe (after restructuring).

The Ralph is cheap theory has been shot down numerous times.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:14 AM

I guess Nate's agent saying that it was 100% that they were testing free agency isn't good enough for you. For the zillionth time, he want's to be the highest paid player at his position. Should we do that deal?

I don't know what Spikes got.

What Nate wants is not what Nate is going to get. Its's called negotiating. Nate said what he wanted and now you work down from there.

When McGee and whoever the Bills put at the other CB position get continuously burnt next year, I don't want to hear people crying on how we need a CB and we should have kept Nate.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't know what Spikes got.

What Nate wants is not what Nate is going to get. Its's called negotiating. Nate said what he wanted and now you work down from there.

Just not wanting to work with me here? There was no negotiating because the market is going to determine his value. His agent would have been an idiot to sign a deal in Buffalo without testing the market when we have unprecedented cap space for every team. Nate's the luckiest SOB on the planet and he'd be an idiot not to take full advantage of it.

By the sound of your post you don't think he's worth "#1 at his position" money. But there is a good chance he's going to get it in free agnecy with some team severly over paying for his services.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't have them but can they have skyrocketed that much since Spikes?

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:33 AM
TD is backpeddling like Poland 1942...

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Signings like those need to have big signing bonus's. Otherwise they sign elsewhere.

Spikes: 9 Million
Moulds: 5 Million
Fletcher: 4 Million
Paup: Paup's three-year, $7.6 million contract with the Bills includes a $3.3 million signing bonus and base salaries of $800,000 in 1995, $1.5 million in '96 and $2 million in '97.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Spikes: 9 Million
Moulds: 5 Million
Fletcher: 4 Million
Paup: Paup's three-year, $7.6 million contract with the Bills includes a $3.3 million signing bonus and base salaries of $800,000 in 1995, $1.5 million in '96 and $2 million in '97.
Thank you! and we don't give out bonuses huh?

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:38 AM
TD is backpeddling like Poland 1942...

Sorry, I was trying to find their bonuses.

Im sure it's going to take more than 3-5 million dollar signing bonus to get players like Briggs/Clements here considering many teams have the cap room the Bills do.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM

Who said the Bills didn't?

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
At the time, those were good size bonus's.

When the Bills signed Jim Kelly it was the biggest contract in NFL history.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Who said the Bills didn't?
You.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:44 AM
You.

No, what I said was the Bills won't pay the type of signing bonus it will take to get a Briggs/Clements type player here.

Obvously it's going to take a bigger signing bonus to get players like Briggs to come to Buffalo than what it would for Price, Reed, Royal, Wire, Bowen...etc.

ublinkwescore
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM

I hope we use part of that 20M to lock up Evans and Losman for a good while - and if Peters weren't extended, he'd be on my list of must extends too.

and next year when we're under the cap yet again, I hope to want to extend the likes of Crowell and Ellison and hopefully McCargo or Whitner/Simpson.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
No, what I said was the Bills won't pay the type of signing bonus it will take to get a Briggs/Clements type player here.

Obvously it's going to take a bigger signing bonus to get players like Briggs to come to Buffalo than what it would for Price, Reed, Royal, Wire, Bowen...etc.
SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2007, 08:46 AM
It's almost time to attack TD with the ostrich. :mad:

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
At the time, those were good size bonus's.

When the Bills signed Jim Kelly it was the biggest contract in NFL history.

Yes, at the time. Times have changed and Ralph needs to realize that.

Let's look back at history. Ralph didn't want to pay Jim Kelly the money he wanted so Jim went to the USFL.

Fast-forward 20 years and Ralph doesn't want to pay big dollars to keep Nate in Buffalo so Nate will be going elsewhere. Im sure we can expect the same with Lee Evans when his contract is up.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY

Ahh here's the childish Thrum who can't debate without posting like a jerk.

ublinkwescore
02-13-2007, 08:50 AM

No, I say we bring in a Deltha O'Neal instead for like 3-5 million cheaper signing bonus.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:50 AM
It's almost time to attack TD with the ostrich. :mad:
CHURCH!!!

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Ahh here's the childish Thrum who can't debate without posting like a jerk.
No it is the Thurm who just gets annoyed with people who post the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over again. Enough already. We get it the Bills are doomed in free agency. Lets move on.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Doomed? No

Go out and sign these blockbuster deals? No

Active in FA with small signings. Yes.

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
They need to be smart in FA. That doesn't neccessarily mean spending money to sign a big name FA. I would love to get Briggs or Steinbach in Buffalo but I'm not going to freak out if they don't. I can't see any sense in getting worked up over something I have absolutely no control over.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 09:01 AM

9 million 5 years ago seems pretty big to me. Nate would be in the 15 to 20 million range. I think we can swing that.

HAMMER
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM

That's why you should move to Rochester, or Canada.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 09:04 AM
9 million 5 years ago seems pretty big to me. Nate would be in the 15 to 20 million range. I think we can swing that.

Nate is history.

20 million dollar signing bonus would be almost as big as the biggest contract Ralph has paid for.

Wasn't the biggest contract in Bills history 5 years 25 million?

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 09:05 AM
That's why you should move to Rochester, or Canada.
No I am not a quitter. I will stay and change the attitude.

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Nate is history.

20 million dollar signing bonus would be almost as big as the biggest contract Ralph has paid for.

No.

I would Spikes is more than that.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Nate is history.

We agree that Nate is history. I believe that if the right player came along Ralph would open his wallet for them. People forget that the cap goes up to $116,000,000 in 2008.

I will say this. If Briggs or Steinbach don't get franchised and we don't make any run at them, considering we are weak at both of these positions, than I would say that Ralph needs to be taken out back and shot.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
I will say this. If Briggs or Steinbach don't get franchised and we don't make any run at them, considering we are weak at both of these positions, than I would say that Ralph needs to be taken out back and shot.

Im not sure about the whole shooting thing. He is almost 90. I'd like to see him when a SB title. Im thinking he's got about 12 years left. :;

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
All kidding aside I think everyone should prep themselves for a mediocre FA run.

We are not resigining Clements unless he doesn't get over paid in the open market. Fletcher is for sure gone.

Briggs will be tagged for sure. Steinbach isn't going to play for the Bills. We don't need Asante Samuels and would cost us the same money as Clements.

So who's coming here that Ralph isn't paying for?

If you are correct, then this organization is just run like horse-**** and the endless run of mediocrity deserves to continue.

There are NO MORE excuses.. They won 7 games last season, they have an emerging QB, WR and LT on offense and a pair of talented young safeties on defense along with a pro bowl DE and a bunch of younger, good players.

They have a coaching staff that didnt lose anybody of significance from last year, so they totally should be on the same page.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, they have a ton of cap room, more than 85% of the rest of the NFL.

They already had a couple of holes to fill and they're losing a valuable LB and CB.. NO ****ING excuses anymore.. Spend the money and sign some impact STARTERS who can put this team in a REAL playoff chase.

Its only February and I can already tell homers are preparing to defend the crop of "who cares" players that will likely be headed here via FA.. I guess after all these years some of you have learned to train yourself to expect mediocrity from this organization..

Not me.. **** that.. You want to contend? You want to the fans to fill that stadium again> Hell, you want this team to stay in Buffalo?

Then go out and spend the money to make this team a contender. They were on the brink at the end of last year.. Peoplw are going to HATE WILSON if he goes the el cheapo route starting next month.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Then go out and spend the money to make this team a contender. They were on the brink at the end of last year.. Peoplw are going to HATE WILSON if he goes the el cheapo route starting next month.

Here will be your typical repsonse......How'd that work out for Dan Synder?

Personally I think teams are built via the draft.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 10:26 AM
There are plenty of players out there outside of the ones you mentioned Wilson should considering as being worth paying for given the state of this team, our cap position and our needs of improvement.

Graham, Stevens, Eric Johnson, Dielman, Adius Thomas, Grant, Harper, Cato June just to name a few.

For now, I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that Levy will be able to make Wilson understand this team can contend next season if they sign a couple of key free agents. So I won't bash Mr WIlson before Free AGency starts.

But if April and draft time comes around and the Bills end up with another slew of Matt Bowens, Craig Nall's, Andre Davis', Tutan Reyes' and Kiwaukee Thomas' are our offseason pickups--- well then Ice will see like Chief Officer Optimistic compared to how much I will bash Wilson.

Yer 7-9 in a division where the long-time division champs are getting thinner. YOu have good young players, now go out and buy some ****ing good VETERAN players and make this team a REAL contender.

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
And there are people here who will criticize any move Ralph makes. There are people who will not acknowledge that there are 32 NFL teams, many of whom are trying to sign FA’s. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I know some are of the mindset that the Bills can FORCE guys to sign deals and that it is a simple process. Fact is, there are very few big name, high cost FA’s available this year. Steinbach, Deihlman, maybe Briggs or Thomas, maybe Ian Scott. Other than that the pickings are slim.<o:p></o:p>
I would love to see Steinbach here. I am also realistic enough to know that other teams will be after him. Some teams also see him as a tackle and will spend more. I am also realistic enough to know that some times players sign elsewhere despite two identical deals (See Ryan Pickett) <o:p></o:p>
So before we line up Ralph and go nuts on him for not signing every top dollar FA available, let’s consider the reality of the NFL and free agency.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Here will be your typical repsonse......How'd that work out for Dan Synder?

Personally I think teams are built via the draft.
I never suggested Wilson follows Snyder's footsteps,and anyone who says that needs to change their homer underwear.

I dont think we could nor should go after a TON OF BIG NAME FA's..

But this is a young team, and promising team taht is VERY MUCH lacking veteran leadership, especially with Nate and Fletcher gone.

There are some KEY SPOTS where if they want to prove to their fans they are SERIOUS about contending they NEED to address.. The draft is a great tool of course but this team needs more than just the draft.

The posters on here, both good and bad represent a very TINY amount of Bills fans.. I can GAURENTEE you the average fan is growing quite SICK of the losing........ Put a winner on the field, or the attendance towards the end of last year will seem GREAT compared to what the future holds..

And worse than the Synder comparisons (totally ******ED) are the "they tried that with adams, milloy, spikes--how did that work out?" dolts... Well guess ****ing what.. Donahoe isnt the GM anymore.. Marv Levy is..

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
And there are people here who will criticize any move Ralph makes. There are people who will not acknowledge that there are 32 NFL teams, many of whom are trying to sign FA’s. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I know some are of the mindset that the Bills can FORCE guys to sign deals and that it is a simple process. Fact is, there are very few big name, high cost FA’s available this year. Steinbach, Deihlman, maybe Briggs or Thomas, maybe Ian Scott. Other than that the pickings are slim.<o:p></o:p>
I would love to see Steinbach here. I am also realistic enough to know that other teams will be after him. Some teams also see him as a tackle and will spend more. I am also realistic enough to know that some times players sign elsewhere despite two identical deals (See Ryan Pickett) <o:p></o:p>
So before we line up Ralph and go nuts on him for not signing every top dollar FA available, let’s consider the reality of the NFL and free agency.
While I do hear what your saying..the REALITY Is there are more than 20 teams in a 32-team NFL league that have LESS SALARY CAP money to spend than Buffalo.

Spin it anyway you want and use any EXCUSE you want (not you specifically of course).. But at the end of the day.. If WILSON decides he wants to spend some quality money with a GM he had BETTER trust-- then a couple of the bigger names being talked about will be Bills..

If not, we'll continue to hope our "project"/"raw" Free agents like Royal, Bowens and Nall all work out.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Great post and you made my point. With all of the free cap money we have who are we signing?!

The Giants just became the most desperate team in the league. Steinbach will definately be a big option for the Giants.

The Snyder argument is valid becuase he signed the wrong FA's. Hell, what about the Bills? Bledsoe, Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, Adams, Milloy and Vincent. All Pros that got us to 9-7!! Before we start clamoring for big signings I'd like to know who. Briggs will be tagged at worst.

READ THE ARTICLE BELOW:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2759910

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I never suggested Wilson follows Snyder's footsteps,and anyone who says that needs to change their homer underwear.

I dont think we could nor should go after a TON OF BIG NAME FA's..

But this is a young team, and promising team taht is VERY MUCH lacking veteran leadership, especially with Nate and Fletcher gone.

There are some KEY SPOTS where if they want to prove to their fans they are SERIOUS about contending they NEED to address.. The draft is a great tool of course but this team needs more than just the draft.

The posters on here, both good and bad represent a very TINY amount of Bills fans.. I can GAURENTEE you the average fan is growing quite SICK of the losing........ Put a winner on the field, or the attendance towards the end of last year will seem GREAT compared to what the future holds..

And worse than the Synder comparisons (totally ******ED) are the "they tried that with adams, milloy, spikes--how did that work out?" dolts... Well guess ****ing what.. Donahoe isnt the GM anymore.. Marv Levy is..

Shorten your responses a bit. I dont have time to read a novel every time you post.

TacklingDummy
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Shorten your responses a bit. I dont have time to read a novel every time you post.

Ahhh Thrum, master of the 1 or 2 sentences.

X-Era
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I only mentioned the Redskins, who have signed expensive, high profile FAs with absolutely no results, despite having a HOF coach.

I didn't name the Colts, and I wasn't talking about re-signing our own. And I didn't get into coaching.

Don't make me look stupid by attributing things to me which I didn't address.

Woah, there was no personal attack meant here.

My point was only that spending big money on top free agents and going the Redskins route may or not be the same depending on how we do it.

My point on the Colts is that they signed HUGE contracts to keep their key guys and now have a SB ring.

My point is that there is NOTHING wrong with spending big money as long as its done wisely. But if you want to go the cheapo route, you can expect to have a cheapo team that wont accomplish much.

BillsFever21
02-13-2007, 05:39 PM

You kind of people said the same thing last year and look at our offseason.

The homerism from some are disgusting. You state facts from the previous year and they try and act like it's not true.

So we didn't sign a bunch of non-impact scrubs for 2.5 million a year? I would love to live in some of your rose colored worlds.

It's people like some of you that gives Ralph incentive to cheap out every year. Some of you are happy with mediocrity and losing.

Every year you think this will be the year and it will change. This is a cheap organization. I guess those of you who disputed the fact of cheap signings last year must think it was a good offseason.

And the way some of you mods act. Somebody states facts and doesn't live in your peachy little Bills worlds and they rep you insulting comments. The laugh are on homers like you.

I've been right about this team for the last 5 years while the same people continue to be wrong. The same people continue to talk crap every offseason after they looked like a joke once again with their predictions. Idiots must live in their own worlds.

BillsFever21
02-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Wow. We gave out some 4 and 5 million dollar signing bonuses. That's the clincher there. Every great player will wanna join the Bills now for 5 million dollars.

Spikes got a decent bonus but that's not even great. To keep some of the best you're looking at a 13+ million bonus.

A 4 million dollar bonus gets you guys like we got last year. I guess some are happy with that. We are really shelling out the big bucks.

THATHURMANATOR
02-15-2007, 12:22 AM
You kind of people said the same thing last year and look at our offseason.

The homerism from some are disgusting. You state facts from the previous year and they try and act like it's not true.

So we didn't sign a bunch of non-impact scrubs for 2.5 million a year? I would love to live in some of your rose colored worlds.

It's people like some of you that gives Ralph incentive to cheap out every year. Some of you are happy with mediocrity and losing.

Every year you think this will be the year and it will change. This is a cheap organization. I guess those of you who disputed the fact of cheap signings last year must think it was a good offseason.

And the way some of you mods act. Somebody states facts and doesn't live in your peachy little Bills worlds and they rep you insulting comments. The laugh are on homers like you.

I've been right about this team for the last 5 years while the same people continue to be wrong. The same people continue to talk crap every offseason after they looked like a joke once again with their predictions. Idiots must live in their own worlds.
Homerism? Because I suggest that we don't act like know it all douches and just sit back and let things play out?

Night Train
02-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Wow. We gave out some 4 and 5 million dollar signing bonuses. That's the clincher there. Every great player will wanna join the Bills now for 5 million dollars.

Spikes got a decent bonus but that's not even great. To keep some of the best you're looking at a 13+ million bonus.

A 4 million dollar bonus gets you guys like we got last year. I guess some are happy with that. We are really shelling out the big bucks.

We didn't just sign Spikes a week ago Tuesday. I'm thinking the cap and FA market has changed slightly in 4 years.

There isn't one player out there worth the supposed big $$ you talk about. I thought last years FA market was bad but this one is paper thin. Throw in the fact that teams have waaaaay too much to spend and you may see a deep snapper get a 8 mil signing bonus this year from Snyder.

If it was all about $$, The Redskins would have won 6 of the last 8 SB's.

The Colts basically pay 3 guys, Manning, Harrison and Wayne. Everyone else can be replaced or is paid little. Just ask E. James and now Freeney. Same with the Pats, the Steelers etc. They only pay a few core guys and surround them with bargain team oriented guys who win. After 3-4 years, they are replaced.

I don't expect any earth shattering signings by the Bills or 26 other teams this spring. Fools gold is money poorly spent.

With 33 mil in cap space, the wise move is to give Lee Evans and other young players new long term deals. Then sign some role players that fit the scheme. Less problems over the long haul, if your star core players are still under contract.

Something the Colts, Steelers, Pats and other winners understand.

Meathead
02-15-2007, 05:48 AM
... and The Marv

he will deliver us to the promised land

ohm

oak tree 12
02-15-2007, 11:10 AM

coy wire?????????? are you serious??????????LOL

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
I have a time machine. I'm going back to watch your Jamaican trip one more time. See you later.

Ickybaluky
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
The Colts basically pay 3 guys, Manning, Harrison and Wayne.

They made some other guys among the highest at their position, like Tarik Glenn, Adam Vinatieri and Corey Simon. They will be paying Dwight Freeney a lot as well, and inherited big base salaries ($4.5M per) with the Booger McFarland deal.

They also have plenty of middle-tier players like Jeff Saturday, Raheem Brock and Ryan Diem.

The reason they have been able to keep it together is they have been able to restructure deals and push the money out, which is why Peyton Manning had a $1m base salary last year (they converted the rest to bonus). They have been able to do so and win because they have drafted well and the players they have heavily invested bonus money in have been good for the most part.

The problem the Redskins have isn't as much the money they spend on giving a player a big signing bonus, it has been they have given it to too many of the wrong players.