PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline Matchmaker

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 08:38 AM
To Buffalo: Shane Doan
To Phoenix: Ales Kotalik, Michael Funk, second-rounder
The Coyotes would prefer to re-sign Doan, but that's looking less and less likely. Getting good value out of a diminishing asset is their best move. Kotalik is an underappreciated performer in Buffalo, where he's third in hits and an ace in the shootout. Funk is a massive (6-4, 215) blueline prospect who relies on his skating and passing abilities to make an impact from the back end. Add in a second-rounder and it's a high price to pay for a possible rental. But the Sabres are in go-for-it mode, and Doan gives them both a strong two-way game and the leadership skills that will be critical as the team advances into the later rounds.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/allan_muir/02/12/trade.matchmaker/1.html

clumping platelets
02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
:pray:

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't get the underappreciated statement about Kotalik. I'm going to assume this guy doesn't watch that many Sabres games?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
:shakeno: not going to happen, from www.nhlpa.com

Kotalik $2,000,000.00
Doan $3,382,000.00

we don't have enough cap room, we don't need a trade!

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
The team needs to make at least one trade for the cup run.

clumping platelets
02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
:shakeno: not going to happen, from www.nhlpa.com (http://www.nhlpa.com)

Kotalik $2,000,000.00
Doan $3,382,000.00

We have about $2.3 million then trade Kotalik and you free up a bit more.....Sabres would only be on the hook for the prorated portion of Doan's salary (i.e. only about 1/4th of that amount)

Dr. Lecter
02-13-2007, 10:10 AM
But they would still be responsible for part of Kotalik's salary as well, correct?

Somebody would have to absorb the impact of the 1st 2/3rds of his salary.

camelcowboy
02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
:shakeno: not going to happen, from www.nhlpa.com (http://www.nhlpa.com)

Kotalik $2,000,000.00
Doan $3,382,000.00

They will make a move, they have to. At this point i bet they will move marty to free up space.

camelcowboy
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
But they would still be responsible for part of Kotalik's salary as well, correct?

Im no cap expert, but the sabres would only have to pay him a percentage, but I believe that his cap number for the year would count against the sabres cap.

chernobylwraiths
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
The salary cap in the NHL is more convoluted than the NFL one. Now, we SHOULD have some relief from the cap since Tim Connolly has been on long term IR all year so we aren't paying his 2.9 million salary cap figure, we are just paying guys like Paille and such who I believe can't be making much more than say $500,000. We do have to pay the amoratized portion of the incoming player's salary for the rest of the year. I don't know if they get paid just for a year or a game, ie. I don't know if we trade for someone from a team that played two more games than us if we get that two games of relief.

I also heard about a loophole in the salary cap regarding IR. Conceivably, if we keep Connolly on IR all season, we could pick up someone like Doan for instance and only have to relieve whatever portion of his salary is left after subtracting Connolly's salary minus whatever we had to pay to keep Paille up. I know that sounds really screwy but this is what it means in numbers: Doan 3.4 - (Connonlly 2.9 - Paille .5) = 1 million. These are rough numbers and probably nowhere near being right. Now, here's the kicker. After the season is over and the playoffs start, there IS NO SALARY CAP! So, conceivably, the Sabres could keep Connolly on IR all season, pick up a high priced player at the deadline with the cap space that Connolly's not being on the roster provides and the minute the playoffs start, take Connolly off the IR and play him. I don't think they should do this as Connolly would be rusty as hell and would screw up lines that players took virtually all year to gell with, but there is it. A little loophole for teams to stash high priced players who are "hurt".

camelcowboy
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
The salary cap in the NHL is more convoluted than the NFL one. Now, we SHOULD have some relief from the cap since Tim Connolly has been on long term IR all year so we aren't paying his 2.9 million salary cap figure, we are just paying guys like Paille and such who I believe can't be making much more than say $500,000. We do have to pay the amoratized portion of the incoming player's salary for the rest of the year. I don't know if they get paid just for a year or a game, ie. I don't know if we trade for someone from a team that played two more games than us if we get that two games of relief.

I also heard about a loophole in the salary cap regarding IR. Conceivably, if we keep Connolly on IR all season, we could pick up someone like Doan for instance and only have to relieve whatever portion of his salary is left after subtracting Connolly's salary minus whatever we had to pay to keep Paille up. I know that sounds really screwy but this is what it means in numbers: Doan 3.4 - (Connonlly 2.9 - Paille .5) = 1 million. These are rough numbers and probably nowhere near being right. Now, here's the kicker. After the season is over and the playoffs start, there IS NO SALARY CAP! So, conceivably, the Sabres could keep Connolly on IR all season, pick up a high priced player at the deadline with the cap space that Connolly's not being on the roster provides and the minute the playoffs start, take Connolly off the IR and play him. I don't think they should do this as Connolly would be rusty as hell and would screw up lines that players took virtually all year to gell with, but there is it. A little loophole for teams to stash high priced players who are "hurt".

Yeah i was listening to WGR about that, they said that there is language in the CBA that if you try to hide a healthy player till the playoffs there are consquences but how the hell is the NHL going to know. Theres rumblings the cap struck devils are doing the same with Mavichuck.

Nighthawk
02-13-2007, 07:12 PM
:shakeno: not going to happen, from www.nhlpa.com

Kotalik $2,000,000.00
Doan $3,382,000.00

What crack are you on? This team needs a trade or two to go far in the playoffs. Read my lips..."this team is too soft for playoff hockey!"

clumping platelets
02-13-2007, 11:31 PM

2.3 million under before trade

Sabres would get approx 1/4 of Kotalik's salary

now about $2.8 million under

subtract 1/4 of Doan's salary

Sabres aboot $2 million under

trade has minimum cap impact

clumping platelets
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Sabres are presently about $2.3 million under because Connolly is on LTIR

Philagape
02-14-2007, 10:30 AM
TSN says Doan is close to re-signing with Phoenix

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=196137&hubname=nhl

Philagape
02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
AP's reporting that they've reached a five-year deal. News conference Thursday.

SabreEleven
02-14-2007, 06:38 PM
He really isn't worth that kind of money...They can keep him.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
PHOENIX (AP) -The Phoenix Coyotes have agreed to a five-year contract with captain Shane Doan, who joined the franchise when it still was in Winnipeg.

The agreement was completed Wednesday, according to a person with knowledge of the contract who asked not to be identified because the deal had not been officially announced. The deal will be worth between $22 million and $23 million.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=289025&page=NewsPage&service=page

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Buffalo could radically improve itself by acquiring some good players that are not expensive,these types are role players that Buffalo thrives on.Good on faceoffs,penalty kills and strong in front of thier own net.You don't need a Gretzky but a few Rhett Warreners could do just fine.

SabreEleven
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Buffalo could radically improve itself by acquiring some good players that are not expensive,these types are role players that Buffalo thrives on.Good on faceoffs,penalty kills and strong in front of thier own net.You don't need a Gretzky but a few Rhett Warreners could do just fine.

Thanks, Capt Obvious. I'm sure teams are will to take Peters in exchange for these players and the NHL will for go the cap just for the Sabres. Do you have names of players that will fit this profile?

Captain_Obvious
02-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Capt Obvious. I'm sure teams are will to take Peters in exchange for these players and the NHL will for go the cap just for the Sabres. Do you have names of players that will fit this profile?

Hey now, don't be throwing my name around to just anybody.

SabreEleven
02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey now, don't be throwing my name around to just anybody.

My bad. Maybe we should promote you to Major?