PDA

View Full Version : Most recent Fox mock has us taking Levi Brown

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6449380

Or course, its ridiculously early to take any mock seriously... But for debate sake, thoughts on Brown at #12?

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Or course, its ridiculously early to take any mock seriously... But for debate sake, thoughts on Brown at #12?

I don't see it happening. I actually think Pennington won the RT position last year. RG and Center seems to be more on the radar. Although JP does have a man crush on Fowler.

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't see a reason to replace the center, but that is just me. I would assume that it would be a big pain in the ass for JP to switch that particular position.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
See in this case, especially given how pathetic the Bills OL has been for the better part of the decade, I dont see how anybody could complain if we took Levi Brown.

Pennington did do a decent job during the second half of the seaeson. But decent compared to what? Compared to what we've had on the line? Then the answer is yes. But is Pennington a sure-fire long-term starting quality RT in the NFL?

I think Levy will be EXTREMELY committed to the OL. I think the team will resign Gandy and whether they are thrifty or not come FA, one spot where I KNOW they will spend some cash will be at right guard.

Now I"ve seen Levi Brown play and from what I've read, he's often compared to another Levi.. Levi Jones.

Personally, if what scouts say is true about him, I'd like the pick. If nothing else then, Pennington provides quality depth, as a 7th round pick should do... If we drafted Brown and say Levy does go out and get a Dielman, our offensive line would be a hell of a lot improved, and that's been by FAR our biggest long term weakness.

Jarrett (WR) is a possibility, just don't see Marv doing that. Our other WR's (outside Evans) could use an upgrade of course, but Levy just paid handsome signing bonuses to Price and Reed, and we still have Parrish. I'm not saying WR won't be addressed at all, but I dont think it will be with the #12th pick.

Lynch will be on the board too, just don't see Marv doing this either, though this I think would be a great draft pick.

Okoye could be there too-- but I really think Marv is going to make at least two major moves on the OL this year. Plus, as much as the upside I hear about Okoye, I just find it hard to believe we'd invest back-to-back 1st rounders on DT's, BOTH who play the same "spot".

There are no CB's or LB's IMO worth the #12th pick.

My ULTIMATE goal would be to land Jamaal Anderson, but there is no way at hell he's not gone in the draft between picks 6-9.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
See in this case, especially given how pathetic the Bills OL has been for the better part of the decade, I dont see how anybody could complain if we took Levi Brown.

Pennington did do a decent job during the second half of the seaeson. But decent compared to what? Compared to what we've had on the line? Then the answer is yes. But is Pennington a sure-fire long-term starting quality RT in the NFL?

I think Levy will be EXTREMELY committed to the OL. I think the team will resign Gandy and whether they are thrifty or not come FA, one spot where I KNOW they will spend some cash will be at right guard.

Now I"ve seen Levi Brown play and from what I've read, he's often compared to another Levi.. Levi Jones.

Personally, if what scouts say is true about him, I'd like the pick. If nothing else then, Pennington provides quality depth, as a 7th round pick should do... If we drafted Brown and say Levy does go out and get a Dielman, our offensive line would be a hell of a lot improved, and that's been by FAR our biggest long term weakness.

Jarrett (WR) is a possibility, just don't see Marv doing that. Our other WR's (outside Evans) could use an upgrade of course, but Levy just paid handsome signing bonuses to Price and Reed, and we still have Parrish. I'm not saying WR won't be addressed at all, but I dont think it will be with the #12th pick.

Lynch will be on the board too, just don't see Marv doing this either, though this I think would be a great draft pick.

Okoye could be there too-- but I really think Marv is going to make at least two major moves on the OL this year. Plus, as much as the upside I hear about Okoye, I just find it hard to believe we'd invest back-to-back 1st rounders on DT's, BOTH who play the same "spot".

There are no CB's or LB's IMO worth the #12th pick.

My ULTIMATE goal would be to land Jamaal Anderson, but there is no way at hell he's not gone in the draft between picks 6-9.

You should have stopped on the 3rd cup of Java. I would be very happy with Levi in a Bills uni. I just don't see it happening.

madness
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Only if we plan on moving him to guard.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't see a reason to replace the center, but that is just me. I would assume that it would be a big pain in the ass for JP to switch that particular position.

Most of what I saw, after the bye, were breakdowns in the middle on the line. Willis could run to the left or right but not up the middle. JP got pressure from the inside and not the outside.

Any upgrades to the line is okay by me. I would love Levi here!!

Elminster
02-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Is Levi Brown an upgrade? Not at tackle, at least. Peters is unquestionably the starting LT, and Pennington did pretty well. Why the rush to replace them when our guards are so inadequate? The line is only as strong as its weakest link, and Pennington is simply NOT the weakest link. Hell, he might turn out being the 2nd strongest link...he may already be. Furthermore, Brown probably isn't even worth the 12th pick, but that's minor. There're a lot of players I'd rather see in a Bills uni than Levi Brown..

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Pennington did "pretty well".

"Pretty Well" is why our OL has sucked balls for years.

I agree about guard, and I think it will be addressed via fA.

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Pennington did "pretty well".

"Pretty Well" is why our OL has sucked balls for years.

I agree about guard, and I think it will be addressed via fA.

I hear you. I see RG being addressed in FA, and I honestly have know idea whether we'll do anything at RT. Pennington did do "pretty well" for a rookie, which given his enormous size may be a harbinger of great things to come. Only Marcus McNeil and Nick Mangold played more than "pretty well" out of the OL class from last year, that I noticed anyway. I hate to write the guy off at this point, but........you're right that no one should be disappointed if we add some top-tier talent to the OL.

I'd like to give Pennington the benefit of the doubt, but Marv and Co. have a much better read on what he's capable of than I do. If they draft Levi Brown, I'll be happy.

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
After Mike Williams, no way do we take a tackle in round 1.

ricogarion
02-13-2007, 02:27 PM
We could do a lot worse than Levi Brown thats a pretty safe pick.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree about the Marv part.

I trust Marv enough to believe if he was to take Brown that he is CLEARLY a lot more talented than Pennington and it would improve the line more than with Pennington at RT.

I always trust marv, unless I dont like a move he makes.. Then I call him senile ;)

Meathead
02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
you are wise to trust in The Marv

X-Era
02-13-2007, 07:21 PM

I think its just ignorrant journalists to be honest. Notice I said ignorrant not stupid. They must not have noticed that Jauron not only kept all of his draftees but then started Pennington for the rest of the saeson at the bye. By most eyes Pennington did well. Peters is a stud at LT.

No need for a OT at all if you consider Butler adequate for a backup. So, a OT in the 1st would then make little sense.

Elminster
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I think its just ignorrant journalists to be honest. Notice I said ignorrant not stupid. They must not have noticed that Jauron not only kept all of his draftees but then started Pennington for the rest of the saeson at the bye. By most eyes Pennington did well. Peters is a stud at LT.

No need for a OT at all if you consider Butler adequate for a backup. So, a OT in the 1st would then make little sense.
Thank you!!! I thought I was alone in wanting to keep a good part of our line in place for a moment there!

!Papacrunk!
02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm waiting for someone to be deemed a crack smoker, since said crack smoker's pick would then be the Bills definate pick on draft day.

dolphan117
02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
The way his stock has been climbing its very possible he isnt even there at 12.

Scumbag College
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Pennington was good last year at RT. He wasn't a dominant force, but very few rookies on the O Line are.

It all depends on whether or not the coaching staff believes Pennington will keep on improving to the point of being a solid starter. I remember when he was picked, the Bills' scout was impressed by his "frame, athleticism, and potential," or something like that. If they think he can continue to improve, then use the pick on someone else.

Mr. Cynical
02-14-2007, 01:18 AM
If we have a shot at Levi and don't take him I will be severely disappointed.

clumping platelets
02-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Carriker at #12 :up: