PDA

View Full Version : Right now, what FA are you expecting Ralph to sign?

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 12:01 PM
In all seriousness I'm not sure what people are expecting. After you take out the players that would like to stay with their winning franchises, the ones that get tagged, who are you targeting with all of that cap space? It's a weak FA market. Why do you think Nate is jumping for joy and why he's not taking a reasonable contract from us? He doesn't need to.

Guess what? About 70% of the teams have ****ty OL's. Listen to all of the talk shows if you don't believe me. "If we had a better OL" is like every 3rd caller on the national shows.

So why would Steinbach come to Buffalo? He'll take less to go with the Giants. Unless you can give me a player that we realistically can sign, based on dollars only, stop the *****ing and let Marv do his job.

alohabillsfan
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
In all seriousness I'm not sure what people are expecting. After you take out the players that would like to stay with their winning franchises, the ones that get tagged, who are you targeting with all of that cap space? It's a weak FA market. Why do you think Nate is jumping for joy and why he's not taking a reasonable contract from us? He doesn't need to.

Guess what? About 70% of the teams have ****ty OL's. Listen to all of the talk shows if you don't believe me. "If we had a better OL" is like every 3rd caller on the national shows.

So why would Steinbach come to Buffalo? He'll take less to go with the Giants. Unless you can give me a player that we realistically can sign, based on dollars only, stop the *****ing and let Marv do his job.

Why would Stienbach take less to go to NY? Maybe he does not want to live there, maybe he wants to go to a TEAM and not a place where ego's are number! I say lets wait and see...

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Why would Steinbach take less to go to NY?

I would expect a CB to be signed early. I would prefer Nick Harper over O'Neal simply because Harper should be somewhat familar w/ the system we run but I don't know if he latest injury would have any affect.

Ickybaluky
02-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not so sure the Giants are such an attractive option for free agents.

First of all, Eli Manning isn't his brother, so it isn't like that is a draw. Then, Coughlin is basically a dead-man walking and everyone knows it. Given Coughlin's lame duck status, players probably will be less inclined to go there. Remember, if the coaching staff is fired and a new staff brought in there isn't any loyalty from the new guy, since he didn't sign the players.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
1) The Giants still look closer to a championship than the Bills do.

2) The reason the Giants even got brought up is that I heard that there would be interest from Steinbach to play there.

If you feel strongly that Steinbach would play here just based on us giving him the best contract than that's valid. I don't believe he's going to see a tag either. I would love to have Steinbach here.

Who else? That's one.

Dicknoze69
02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I think we make a strong push to sign CB Nick Harper. Seems like a perfect match, since he's gonna want more money than Indy can do, and he knows our system.

Mudflap1
02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I think Nick Harper and Cato June are realistic possibilities. Steinbach would be nice.

Jon

RockStar36
02-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Another thing about the NYG. Not only is Coughlin a dead man walking but if I remember correctly, last year several of his players called him out and it wasn't the first time. If I'm a player that is a major drawback from signing with them.

DraftBoy
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Id could see a couple of low risk FA's picked up like Boss Bailey, who are lower risk but high reward types.

CB we may sign Harper but I hear Atlanta would like him and he's a Georgia boy, High School in Baldwin County, College at Fort Valley State.

I wouldn't mind giving sombody like Ahmad Carroll a fair shake at the job.

We may go RB and if so Id like to see us pickup Musa Smith esp if we cant resign the A-Train.

Hopefully an OG, and I prefer Deilman over Steinbach, bc I think they are similar in skill sets but Dielman will cost alot less and if we hit him from the beginning we may sneak away with him early.

Id say 5-6 FA signings, and some resigning of our own FA but a pretty inactive as we continue to build through the draft.

THATHURMANATOR
02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Please whoever offers more money is where he is going.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
We have enough "skill" players to make a run.. But it won't matter.
Forget the names. The bottom line is simple. If the Bills learn to run the ball better and stop the run better, then they will be a legitimate playoff team.
If they don't, they will continue to be a "who cares" team around the league.
So when it comes to getting players who will help the team in these two areas, I dont care if they overpay $800 million for Steinbach or start an undrafted free agent. whomever they sign or draft BETTER be better on the line than what we have now.
ON the right side, Villarrial is a clown, and Pennington is "pretty good". Unfortunately, "pretty good" isnt enough. If Levi Brown is there at #12 he should be the pick. If Wilson only spends bigger money once in FA, I really hope its on Steinbach, DOckery or Dielman.
For the defense, I think we need to sign TWO prime FA's. We need a good ALL AROUND DE like Grant, and we need a good LB to take over for Fletcher. Ellison is "pretty good".. Unfortunately again, pretty good isnt good enough.. I'd be happy with a servicable starter at CB, it doesnt have to be a big name.
This team has less holes than it had a year ago, and it has more cap money than a year ago.. You do the math.
Run.. Stop the run

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Id could see a couple of low risk FA's picked up like Boss Bailey, who are lower risk but high reward types.

CB we may sign Harper but I hear Atlanta would like him and he's a Georgia boy, High School in Baldwin County, College at Fort Valley State.

I wouldn't mind giving sombody like Ahmad Carroll a fair shake at the job.

We may go RB and if so Id like to see us pickup Musa Smith esp if we cant resign the A-Train.

Hopefully an OG, and I prefer Deilman over Steinbach, bc I think they are similar in skill sets but Dielman will cost alot less and if we hit him from the beginning we may sneak away with him early.

Id say 5-6 FA signings, and some resigning of our own FA but a pretty inactive as we continue to build through the draft.

I'd be happy with Dielman. He'd be a sizeable upgrade from what we have at RG now, and you're right, he won't be as $$ as Steinbach.

Given that people are talking about Asante Samuel getting similar money to clements, I think we can cross him off the list. If we're going to spend that kind of cash we might as well just bring Clements back. I'm hoping like hell we grab an upper second tier corner like Harper to replace Nate, b/c I don't like the idea of having to draft his replacement.

DraftBoy
02-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm hoping like hell we grab an upper second tier corner like Harper to replace Nate, b/c I don't like the idea of having to draft his replacement.

We already drafted his replacement in Ashton Youboty, he has 1st round talent, I have no idea why he fell so far.

Night Train
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Pay the going rate for the mercenary and he will come.

Rinse, repeat.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Please whoever offers more money is where he is going.

I'm talking about Steinbach not Nate Clements.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I'd be happy with Dielman. He'd be a sizeable upgrade from what we have at RG now, and you're right, he won't be as $$ as Steinbach.

Given that people are talking about Asante Samuel getting similar money to clements, I think we can cross him off the list. If we're going to spend that kind of cash we might as well just bring Clements back. I'm hoping like hell we grab an upper second tier corner like Harper to replace Nate, b/c I don't like the idea of having to draft his replacement.

I love Dielman. I know SD players are pissed about Shotty getting fired so this could be a GGGRREEAAATTT PICKUP!!

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
We already drafted his replacement in Ashton Youboty, he has 1st round talent, I have no idea why he fell so far.
Not only that, but I think McGee is a good corner who really struggled in the cover two last year but got better towards the end of the season.

Going into 2006 I thought he had become just as good as Clements in coverage.. He regressed with the new system but I still have confidence in him.

CB to me is nowhere near a priority as some others may think.

On the other hand I think DE and TE are two spots that we REALLY need improvement in that maybe others dont agree with.

Mahdi
02-13-2007, 03:19 PM
I could see Marv picking up Bryan Thomas from the Jets to replace Kelsay--- He's a great pass rusher and he's young, plus I dont think he will command that much.

Michael82
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
The first player that Marv will sign will be DT Ian Scott! Then he will sign Nick Harper. And he will also heavily pursue Dielmann. Then if he doesn't get him, he will move on to the next best OG.

Mahdi
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
The first player that Marv will sign will be DT Ian Scott! Then he will sign Nick Harper. And he will also heavily pursue Dielmann. Then if he doesn't get him, he will move on to the next best OG.
The only question there is whether or not Marv believes Ian Scott is THAT much better than McCargo--- because assuming McCargo prepares himself this offseason as the nose then I bet he would be better than Scott.

HHURRICANE
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I like your thinking. And than we'll go to Baltimore and Tennesse and New England and Cleveland and San Diego, OHH AGHHH!!

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/5/b/dean_scream_pic_small.jpg (http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baltimoresun.com%2Ffeatures%2Fla-dean19-video%2C0%2C6005088.realvideo%3Fcoll%3Dbal-features-headlines)

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I expect marv to be very aggressive.. he's not getting any younger and he'll probably never be in a position again where only 2 other teams in the NFL have more operating cap room than the Bills.

Anything less than an effort to get some difference makers on this team will be met with HARSH criticism and a bigger drop in ticket sales from Bills fans should this team stumble out of the gate in 2007.

Yasgur's Farm
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
My wish list is pretty lofty...

1) RG Eric Steinback
2) LB Adailius Thomas
3) TE Dan Graham
4) CB Asante Samuel

I'll be thrilled with...

1) RG Dielman
2) LB Briggs or June
3) TE Johnson
4) CB Harper

In addition, we need to re-sign...

1) Gandy
2) Preston
3) Kelsay
4) Hargrove
5) K. Thomas
6) A. Thomas
7) Davis

Marv heavily addressed DT last offseason... We need to let that unit mature and add a 4th rounder to replace Anderson.

I'm happy with the output of our DE's... That is unless Schoebel gets moved to LB... In that case we'll need a starting DE.

Fixing the LB's makes our DL better.

ZacGriffi~82
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Is Harper the one with the "marital issues."

The Quebecer
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
What about Robaire Smith, DT as a 2 years stop-gap to go with McCargo, Tripplett and Williams ?

He shouldn't cost too much and would provide some experience to that rotation...

As for the draft, let's get Levi Brown at 12, then take the best OG available with our 2nd rounder...

Later,
Pat

Yasgur's Farm
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd go interior O-line no sooner than round 3.

patmoran2006
02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I really don't want to resign Kelsay...

I dont think he's worth the money, and I dont think he's much better than Hargrove. I think Denney will either have his contract redone or he'll get cut, as his cap number for this year is ridiculous consider he's a borderline starter at best.

Kelsay is a good pass rusher, but putrid against the run... I would like to get a better DE against the run.

Tatonka
02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
What about Robaire Smith, DT as a 2 years stop-gap to go with McCargo, Tripplett and Williams ?

He shouldn't cost too much and would provide some experience to that rotation...

As for the draft, let's get Levi Brown at 12, then take the best OG available with our 2nd rounder...

Later,
Pat

robaire smith would actually be perfect for our system. he could fill in at DE and DT. he is listed as a DE, but plays more DT. he is exactly what we need. i would love to sign a veteran like him to help our young guys. he still has at least a few more years in him as well.

to me, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to draft another DT, unless they feel that williams and mccargo are not the answer.

Nighthawk
02-13-2007, 08:45 PM
To contend and be taken seriously, this team has to sign some very good players...not average-to-good, but very good players. They need to attract at least one of the top free agents to let the rest of the team know that they are serious about making a run at it. Signing the Peerless Price's of the world isn't going to get the players or the fans excited. Don't forget, this team NEEDS to get the fans excited, therefore, they need to aggressively attack some of their weaknesses.

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-14-2007, 06:29 AM
If Briggs doesn't get franchised I truly believe he will be a Bill with all his connections to our staff. After that he may bring Ian Scott along with him. I would like to us pick up any one of the corners you all have been talking about, and grab Dielman.

Jan Reimers
02-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Last year, we seem to have gone for quantity in the FA market - and rightfully so. TD had left the cupboard fairly empty and we had lots of holes to fill and depth to be added.

I think we have fewer areas of critical need this year, so 4 or 5 quality FAs, coupled with another good draft and the development of some of our young guys (Youboty and McCargo particularly), plus another year in the new O and D systems, should put us in good shape.

HHURRICANE
02-14-2007, 07:47 AM
My wish list is pretty lofty...

1) RG Eric Steinback
2) LB Adailius Thomas
3) TE Dan Graham
4) CB Asante Samuel

I'll be thrilled with...

1) RG Dielman
2) LB Briggs or June
3) TE Johnson
4) CB Harper

In addition, we need to re-sign...

1) Gandy
2) Preston
3) Kelsay
4) Hargrove
5) K. Thomas
6) A. Thomas
7) Davis

First off, great list. Second, I think your lofty list is, well, lofty. Your thrilled list is what I 'm hoping for. Dielman hates AJ Smith so I believe Marv and Co. would be a very refreshing change for him. I think that's our best shot at FA. Briggs will get franchised and as much as I like Harper I think the Bills are riding their Booty into next season.

On the resign list I like everyone except Kelsay. There are so many good DE and DT's that I just don't ss us resigning him with Denney still under contract.

Mr. Pink
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I've read threads left and right...

We're not gonna draft Levi Brown because we have Pennington...
We're not gonna sign a number 1 corner because we drafted Youboty...
We're not gonna get a WR because Peerless Price did a fine job as a 2...
We're not gonna do this or that because of someone already here.

In the same token we're gonna sign Ian Scott when we just drafted a DT in Round 1 last year and our biggest FA acquisition was a DT last year. What sense does that make? Do you think the brass is just gonna admit that both of those moves were failures? That's what they're saying when they bring in another FA bigger name player at the same position the next season. Not likely.

Guess what boys and girls? We were a 7-9 football team, which means NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If your name isn't Lee Evans or Brian Moorman, you can be replaced by someone better. We're OK at many positions, but OK doesn't cut it in this league.

Pat has already said this, in order to win in this league, you have to be able to run and you have to stop the run. We went 7-9 and couldn't do either of those things consistently and/or well.

If that means we dump Willis for a pick and then go after RFA Michael Turner from SD, we do it.

If that means we dump Peerless Price and go after Drew Bennett, we do it.

If we dump Kevin Everett and go after Eric Johnson, we do it.

If we dump Takeo and get Adalius Thomas, we do it.

You get the point.

alohabillsfan
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Here is my list

(G) Stienbach
(G) Dielman
(OT) J Black
(TE) E. Johnson
(RB) A. Green
(RB) Rhodes

(LB) A. Thomas
(CB) Samual
(DE) J. Smith
(DT) Redding

Uh, did I miss anyone? Next list I will discuss day 2 of free agency!