PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Chris Brown - RFA confirmation...

RedEyE
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I mentioned both the colts OGs about 2 weeks ago. Chris Brown confirms tenders, and compensation:

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=895

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 4:56 PM
</SPAN>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
RFAs WORTH A LOOK: One of the interesting means of leverage that some of the teams with a lot of cap room have is their ability to take advantage of those teams with little cap room and some attractive restricted free agents. They could sign a promising restricted free agent to an offer sheet that a team with limited cap space would have difficulty matching even without a so called "poison pill" contained in the contract language like Minnesota did last year with the Steve Hutchinson offer sheet.
For example, Indy has about $200K of room under the cap. Their starting LG Ryan Lilja is a restricted free agent. The Colts are not in a position right now to tender Lilja at all. To protect him at all they'd need to use the second round tender of $1.5 million. Obviously they'd have to do some manuevering just to tender him. Assuming they don't by the end of the month, a team can sign Lilja to an offer sheet and not owe the Colts any compensation. That guy would be a steal in that scenario.

Indy's starting right guard Jake Scott was a former 5th round pick. Again assuming Indy can't create the cap space, a team would only have to surrender a 5th round pick if he was offered the low tender ($850K) by the Colts. Teams are going to jump on these two starting interior linemen if Indy can't make the moves to tender them at more than the low level. If they can't give them a tender offer at all they'll become unrestricted free agents.
Along with Lilja and Scott, here are some other RFAs that offer good value that are currently tied to teams that may not have the cap space to commit high tenders and could be had with the right offer sheet from another team.

Dwayne Blakely - TE - Atlanta (undrafted)
DeMorrio Williams - OLB - Atlanta (4th round pick)
Drew Carter - WR - Carolina (5th round pick)
Michael Gaines - TE - Carolina (7th round pick)
Jordan Carstens - DT - Carolina (undrafted)
Tommy Kelly - DT - Oakland (undrafted)
Shaun Phillips - OLB - San Diego (4th round pick)
Sean Locklear - RT - Seattle (3rd round pick)
Niko Koutouvides - MLB - Seattle (4th round pick)
Adam Goldberg - LT - St. Louis (undrafted)

TigerJ
02-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Drew Carter has terrific size and speed. He had repeated injuries at Ohio State, but he has had at least some productivity with Carolina, playing in 14 games last season with 28 receptions.

Tommy Kelly looks like he's got some possibilities. He's pretty tall for a DT, but he gets a lot of tackles and has several sacks.

Forward_Lateral
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
The best news I read was that Hargrove tenders a 3rd round pick. So, if Buffalo tenders him, and someone else signs him, Buffalo gets a 3rd round pick, I think.

Romes
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
The best news I read was that Hargrove tenders a 3rd round pick. So, if Buffalo tenders him, and someone else signs him, Buffalo gets a 3rd round pick, I think.

Yup, trading him for a 5th round pick was a great move...we could have potentially traded a 5th round pick for a 3rd round pick.

bigbub2352
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I really think the Bills will spend there money on Hargrove, and let Kelsay walk, Hargrove is younger and could be faster but i like the passion he displays on the feild and Kelsay as a starter has been way to inconsistent

DraftBoy
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I wouldnt be at all opposed to signing either or both of the Colts RFA OG's if they cant tender.

camelcowboy
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
I wouldnt be at all opposed to signing either or both of the Colts RFA OG's if they cant tender.

I agree put the heat on indy and sign them both to offer sheets, We'd at least get one.

Michael82
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I agree put the heat on indy and sign them both to offer sheets, We'd at least get one.
Both would be great options! :drool: