PDA

View Full Version : Tom Golisano: "this is a good bunch of guys and there's no need for a trade"

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
from WIVB Ch 4,

Sabres owner Tom Golisano was at Miller's Steadfast Foundation for Ryan Miller's charity (that supports kids fighting serious illnesses) tonight and was asked if the Sabres were going to be buyers or sellers he said "were going to keep the players we got now". "This is a good team and a good bunch of guys and there's no need for a trade". "We got enough talent here to get us where we want to go." So there you have it right out of Golisano's mouth when the trade deadline comes we aren't making any trades. Which I've been saying all along.

camelcowboy
02-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Im sure he's being 100% honest :cynic:
Im going to love to watch you cry when they make a deal, because "News flash........they have to" They have no depth at defense.

oh and how about a link

camelcowboy
02-14-2007, 12:04 AM
oh and by the way lets use some common sense. First if you the owner of a team why would you want to give away what your true intentions are. If you say your a buyer then teams selling will jack up the price, we know they're not sellers. So look at it this way. Why would galisano say no one is moving? There are two weeks till the dead line, and his team needs to play a few more games before they make a move. Do you want your players to think they maybe traded? It could affect chemistry in the locker room. This actually makes me believe more that they will make a couple moves at the dead line. Galisano is a buisness man, you have to remeber that.

Myers57
02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
did you just say we have no depth at defense???

anyway he didn't completely rule out that we may possibly acquire another player which may still be the case...

might end up exchanging a draft pick or prospect for a small trade

Nighthawk
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
from WIVB Ch 4,

That's great, but it doesn't mean he is right. This team hasn't played well enough to say that they don't need a trade. What are you watching?

clumping platelets
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Tom Golisano :negrep:

Improve the depth Tom :mad:

jamesiscool
02-15-2007, 01:38 AM
twenty bucks says the sabres dont trade anyone. if we do its not guna be anyone who is guna be seeing ice time this season. maybe a goalie prospect to come in as a backup next season when we dont have marty around to steal some games for us.

YES this team is soft and losing gaustad doesn't help a whole lot but i think we'll be fine.

James

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 07:35 AM
The sad thing will be if this team just falls short again because the management didn't have enough foresight to bolster the team and we couldn't overcome the fact were playing AHL players.Do the team a favor and add some veteran flavor.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2007, 07:44 AM
I don't see many AHL players on this roster.

Who do you propose the Sabres trade?

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 07:49 AM
That post was a future glance into the playoffs ala last year when we lost our defenseman and relied on players called up from the Amerks.We could use a defenseman in case we get some injuries otherwise its Mike Card and Mike Funk time.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Who should the Sabres trade?

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 08:00 AM
You start with the natural first choice in Biron cause he wants to start and if you don't get something in return he will walk on you like all the others with no return.

Then you have Kalinin whom you have begged and cajoled for so long to play hard and steady that it may be time to cut bait with him and look for a better alternative.(someone who comes to play every day wether he wants to or not)

Somehow you look at the forwards and see that many are the same lots of flash but no splash.They goy "it" but no grit.Maybe you identify one that you can do with out in order to acquire the motor guy that plays the wall well and can be physical as well?

There are many ways to assist this team but in todays game you have to be creative and if anyone can do it I would bank on Darcy Regier.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Kalinin makes no sense based on your previous argument. That would put the Sabres right back to calling up Card or Funk.

Trading Marty is possible, but again that kills any depth you have. Adam Denis as #2 in the playoffs?

Trading a forward now means you call up Stafford or McArthur for the rest of the season and will need to play them or Peters in the playoffs.

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Your dumping players with salary in Biron and Kalinin I believe 2 million each? With the two you could get cheaper players that can contribute and of course with any Biron trade you get your back-up.Kalinin is just a name and of course this is all speculative anyways,they will probably not do anything anyhow.They are sending out signals allready just check out WGR55.

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Kalinin could be dealt if you find a club dumb enough to think they can cure him then they would need to be dumb enough to return a younger player which you would hope has upside to make you look like the genius.Again speculating in good clean fun of course.

clumping platelets
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM

Sabres do not necessarily need to trade anyone away, just bolster the roster with a veteran or 2 ...........I wouldn't be against trading Novotny if that led to the Cup

I'm not in favor of trading Biron

camelcowboy
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Kotalik, Kalinin, or Biron, I'd say tempo but he has no value at his age. Any combination would free up space and would be able to upgrade any positon.

camelcowboy
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Kalinin makes no sense based on your previous argument. That would put the Sabres right back to calling up Card or Funk.

Trading Marty is possible, but again that kills any depth you have. Adam Denis as #2 in the playoffs?

Trading a forward now means you call up Stafford or McArthur for the rest of the season and will need to play them or Peters in the playoffs.

I think Stafford should be on this roster now.

Dr. Lecter
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Kotalik, Kalinin, or Biron, I'd say tempo but he has no value at his age. Any combination would free up space and would be able to upgrade any positon.

So we trade our crap (i.e. Kalinin) and get something great in return? We trade Marty and have no depth at goalie? We trade Kotalik and are playign two rookie forwards?

The idea of trading our under acheivers for players that make half of the money and are improvements is a pipe dream. Teams are unlikely to provide charity to the Sabres.

Trading is fun, and fun to discuss but is not as easy as fans think it is.

camelcowboy
02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
So we trade our crap (i.e. Kalinin) and get something great in return? We trade Marty and have no depth at goalie? We trade Kotalik and are playign two rookie forwards?

The idea of trading our under acheivers for players that make half of the money and are improvements is a pipe dream. Teams are unlikely to provide charity to the Sabres.

Trading is fun, and fun to discuss but is not as easy as fans think it is.

Not looking for charity looking for rentals. Im not saying we are going to upgrade the position for years to come, Im saying if you package up some of our "junk" The cap is the biggest problem, if you have say a biron and kotalk/tree this clears up four million in cap that allows us to upgrade a forward position or defense. Once the cap is freed up you can spice up the deal with prospects. The biggest problems is you can't just throw a pick or a prospect at team to get the role player your looking for because they're backs are against the cap.

YardRat
02-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not real big on parting ways with Marty, either, but the defense is starting to concern me.

Trade Marty and a front-liner for a vet stud defensemen and a back-up goalie. Throw in a pick or two on either side to balance out the deal.

Move Stafford up to the parent club full time.

Trade Kalinin and an Amerk for another defensemen.

Hope Miller doesn't get hurt.

If we don't do anything, I'm fine with riding the wave with the players we have if we're forced to.

chernobylwraiths
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I would be willing to bet the Sabres do nothing by the deadline.

Nighthawk
02-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I would be willing to bet the Sabres do nothing by the deadline.

And unfortunately, I would bet they don't win the cup. Sorry, but I don't see this team as being able to take the playoff beating. I hope I'm wrong, but I truly believe this team needs to add one more defenseman and a gritty forward (Guerin) that brings playoff hardened experience.