PDA

View Full Version : A coach who gets it

billsburgh
02-14-2007, 02:33 AM
with so much talk the last year or two concerning drafting of players who fit a particular scheme (defensive tackle), why cant Jauron and his staff be more like this guy. Newly hired Steelers head coach recently discussed drafting players based on whether or not they fit a scheme.
The Steelers are unlikely to draft certain styles of players based on whether they continue to run the 3-4 defense or move toward a 4-3.

"The elite players defy scheme," Tomlin said. "Troy Polamalu's going to be an excellent safety, regardless of what defensive scheme he's in. Casey Hampton's going to be a dominant interior defensive lineman, regardless of what scheme he's in. So the elite players defy scheme. We're not going to get enamored with that. What we're going to do is we're going to continue to shape our package to do what our players do and do well. It'll be a constant evolution, just like the players are constantly evolving."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07044/761700-66.stm

YardRat
02-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Let's see how Tomlin does with his philosophy before we judge if he's smarter or better than others.

ParanoidAndroid
02-14-2007, 05:14 AM
When you're drafting in the first round where you normally get your "elite" players, you draft by what your team needs. I'm sure that Marv and Jouron would defend themselves by saying that they believed Whitner could become an elite player in the NFL, meaning he will be good regardless of scheme.
You can surely choose among those "elite" candidates to see who might be a better fit.
I think what he said is pretty obvious and I doubt Jauron or Marv would disagree and say Aaron Schobel is a system player.

Bufftp
02-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Yet we see big name elite players sign big free agencey contracts with other teams only to flounder in their new teams scheme all too often.

ParanoidAndroid
02-14-2007, 05:39 AM
I wonder how much of that has to do with the "I got paid. Now I can chill" factor.

YardRat
02-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Everybody loved Greg Williams right off the bat also because he stated he 'didn't like fat guys.'

mybills
02-14-2007, 06:16 AM
why cant Jauron and his staff be more like this guy.

Because they'd be going in reverse? We haven't even seen part two of their plan, and there's usually a 3 year bldg process. Patience grasshopper. :respect:

don137
02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Some players are so talented they can fit in almost any scheme. Other players will excel better in certain schemes better then others. Some players just can cut it in certain schemes and are let go. Obviously everyone would love a player that can excel in all types of schemes but reality is they are much harder to come by especially on the defensive side.

HHURRICANE
02-14-2007, 07:59 AM
with so much talk the last year or two concerning drafting of players who fit a particular scheme (defensive tackle), why cant Jauron and his staff be more like this guy. Newly hired Steelers head coach recently discussed drafting players based on whether or not they fit a scheme.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07044/761700-66.stm

Did this guy already win them a Super Bowl? I'll wait to start patting people on the back. I think Dick Jauron and Marv have proved they can coach in this league.

MikeInRoch
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I wonder how much of that has to do with the "I got paid. Now I can chill" factor.

For a good example of this, watch what Nate does with whatever team he winds up on...

Mr. Miyagi
02-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Let's see how Tomlin does with his philosophy before we judge if he's smarter or better than others.
Exactly. Anyone can yap any crap out of their mouths and sound brilliant. What has Tomlin done? His Vikings defense sucked.

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
What has Tomlin done?

Eh, he was pretty funny in Major League 2. That's about all I can think of.

HAMMER
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Eh, he was pretty funny in Major League 2. That's about all I can think of.

If you're looking to overtake MyBalls as the least funny zoner you are on your way.

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
If you're looking to overtake MyBalls as the least funny zoner you are on your way.

You don't see it?

Tomlin:
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/N/NY15101220239-big.jpg

Omar Epps:
http://www.serienjunkies.de/Seriendarsteller/Omar-Epps/omar-epps.jpg

Mr. Miyagi
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
We see the resemblence, but it's still not funny.

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Ugh, whatever...

And for the record, a top 10 defense isn't to bad.

Mr. Miyagi
02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
But good try though!

streetkings01
02-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Ugh, whatever...

And for the record, a top 10 defense isn't to bad.A top 10 defense that has 3 very high paid players in the secondary(Smoot, Winfield, Sharper) and was ranked dead last against the pass! They were ranked #1 against the run because teams chose to pass on them instead of running! Hell look what JP, Brady and Pennington did against them

JP - 23/32 222 yds 1-TD
Brady - 29/43 372 yds 4-TD 1-INT
Pennington - 29/39 339 yds 1-TD 1-INT

His secondary sucked!!!!!

mybills
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Ugh, whatever...

And for the record, The_Philster won least funniest.

That's correct. :up:

B-DON
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Exactly. Anyone can yap any crap out of their mouths and sound brilliant. What has Tomlin done? His Vikings defense sucked.

Are you dumb? The vikings run D was one of the top 5 run D's of all time. Check the facts before you make ignorant statements. If the vikes had any offensive weapons besides chester taylor they would have been an easy superbowl contender in the NFC.

B-DON
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
A top 10 defense that has 3 very high paid players in the secondary(Smoot, Winfield, Sharper) and was ranked dead last against the pass! They were ranked #1 against the run because teams chose to pass on them instead of running! Hell look what JP, Brady and Pennington did against them

JP - 23/32 222 yds 1-TD
Brady - 29/43 372 yds 4-TD 1-INT
Pennington - 29/39 339 yds 1-TD 1-INT

His secondary sucked!!!!!

Teams couldnt run on them period. They tried and tried but no one could manage. I swear (not 100% though) Mcgahee had the most yards all year against them. I would take Tomlin over Dick any day