Redskins Targeting Fletcher & Clements...How ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Redskins Targeting Fletcher & Clements...How ??

Info on Washington Redskins including the 2005 NFL Preview. Get the latest game schedule and statistics for the Redskins. Follow the Washington Redskins under the direction of Coach Joe Gibbs.

The Redskins are expected to target Buffalo Bills linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Nate Clements in free agency next month, according to multiple league sources who have spoken with team officials.

I thought I read where the Skins we just a hair under the cap line. How could they afford both ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Redskins Targeting Fletcher & Clements...How ??

Who knows. Snyder seems to have an unlimited amount of money every off-season.

D & S Sports

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

One thing for sure somehow Washington always finds a way...They ove to restructured and pay out handsomely in signing bonuses...The other thing is Washington never appears to build through the draft. They always seem to spend big in FA. It seems if a player goes to the skins you can cash in but I doubt you will ever see a championship...
      I also heard the Panthers are insterested in Fletcher with Dan Morgan sustaining so many concussions they need a MLB.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

it's annoying how the redskins seem to be immune from the cap- I don't know what the hell they do. Of course, there's comfort in the fact that they never win...
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jmb1099
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          it's annoying how the redskins seem to be immune from the cap- I don't know what the hell they do. Of course, there's comfort in the fact that they never win...
          I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

They give big signing bonuses and overload the back end of the contracts
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

yeah well Gregg Williams is trying to rebuild his 04 Buffalo D in Washington, but someone forgot to tell him that the D completely fell apart in 05 and now all those guys are 3 years older.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

The Redskins specialize in overpriced free agents who never quite mesh and have no chemistry or sense of commitment. They can have Fletch and Nate both, as far as I'm concerned.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

The Redskins aren't immune. The cap isn't a hard number, it is an accounting figure.

First of all, people misunderstand the contracts the Redskins sign people to, thinking they are hard figures. Their contracts are backloaded, so the early years have lower cap numbers. The player sign the contracts knowing the back years are inflated, in exchange for more front money. However, their 3-year averages are in line with other contracts.

When the Redskins reach the inflated years further into those contracts they either release the player or restructure the deal. For instance, they extended Jon Jansen and lowered his cap number by millions this year, saving cap space.

Where they get in trouble is the contracts they offer guys who don't perform. The Adam Archuleta is a bad one, because he never performed so he can't get out to the three-year average on the deal where a decision can be made. Instead they are forced to carry him until then (he cap number isn't too bad if they keep him) or release him with a negative cap effect.

A contract like the one Clinton Portis has signed isn't a problem, because he has lived up to it and when they get to his later contract years they are in a position to make a decision one way or another without killing themselves.

So, the Redskins problems aren't that they sign guys to big deals with big front money, the problem is that too many of those players (Archuleta, Randle El and Brandon Lloyd come to mind) aren't worth in in the short term. The contracts to guys like Jansen, Samuels, Moss and Portis aren't an issue because those players are good.

Comment

• jmb1099
                    • Sep 2004

yeah well Gregg Williams is trying to rebuild his 04 Buffalo D in Washington, but someone forgot to tell him that the D completely fell apart in 05 and now all those guys are 3 years older.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

but isn't there still some cap hit on a restructure? They still have to amortize those big bonuses somehow.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jmb1099
                        • Sep 2004

but isn't there still some cap hit on a restructure? They still have to amortize those big bonuses somehow.
                        It isn't supposed to happen, but my guess is that there are huge incentives offered that have nothing to do with the cap.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jmb1099
                          It isn't supposed to happen, but my guess is that there are huge incentives offered that have nothing to do with the cap.
                          I thought incentives were broken down into Likely to be Acheived (LTBA) and Not Likely to Be Acheived (NLTBA). LTBA's have to be reconciled with the cap ahead of time and NLTBA's don't have to be reconciled unless they're actually reached. So in the long run, that could still hurt them.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jmb1099
                            • Sep 2004

I thought incentives were broken down into Likely to be Acheived (LTBA) and Not Likely to Be Acheived (NLTBA). LTBA's have to be reconciled with the cap ahead of time and NLTBA's don't have to be reconciled unless they're actually reached. So in the long run, that could still hurt them.
                            Its been my experince in dealing with accounting types that there are more ways to screw with numbers than numbers. I don't understand it, but my guess is that its all "legit" even though its fuzzy

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

They don't build through the draft which is why they will never win.

Comment

Working...
                              X