PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Targeting Fletcher & Clements...How ??

Night Train
02-14-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021301286.html

The Redskins are expected to target Buffalo Bills linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Nate Clements in free agency next month, according to multiple league sources who have spoken with team officials.

I thought I read where the Skins we just a hair under the cap line. How could they afford both ?

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Who knows. Snyder seems to have an unlimited amount of money every off-season.

don137
02-14-2007, 09:50 AM
One thing for sure somehow Washington always finds a way...They ove to restructured and pay out handsomely in signing bonuses...The other thing is Washington never appears to build through the draft. They always seem to spend big in FA. It seems if a player goes to the skins you can cash in but I doubt you will ever see a championship...
I also heard the Panthers are insterested in Fletcher with Dan Morgan sustaining so many concussions they need a MLB.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
it's annoying how the redskins seem to be immune from the cap- I don't know what the hell they do. Of course, there's comfort in the fact that they never win...

jmb1099
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
it's annoying how the redskins seem to be immune from the cap- I don't know what the hell they do. Of course, there's comfort in the fact that they never win...
I was thinking the same thing.

DraftBoy
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
They give big signing bonuses and overload the back end of the contracts

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
yeah well Gregg Williams is trying to rebuild his 04 Buffalo D in Washington, but someone forgot to tell him that the D completely fell apart in 05 and now all those guys are 3 years older.

Jan Reimers
02-14-2007, 10:24 AM
The Redskins specialize in overpriced free agents who never quite mesh and have no chemistry or sense of commitment. They can have Fletch and Nate both, as far as I'm concerned.

Ickybaluky
02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
The Redskins aren't immune. The cap isn't a hard number, it is an accounting figure.

First of all, people misunderstand the contracts the Redskins sign people to, thinking they are hard figures. Their contracts are backloaded, so the early years have lower cap numbers. The player sign the contracts knowing the back years are inflated, in exchange for more front money. However, their 3-year averages are in line with other contracts.

When the Redskins reach the inflated years further into those contracts they either release the player or restructure the deal. For instance, they extended Jon Jansen and lowered his cap number by millions this year, saving cap space.

Where they get in trouble is the contracts they offer guys who don't perform. The Adam Archuleta is a bad one, because he never performed so he can't get out to the three-year average on the deal where a decision can be made. Instead they are forced to carry him until then (he cap number isn't too bad if they keep him) or release him with a negative cap effect.

A contract like the one Clinton Portis has signed isn't a problem, because he has lived up to it and when they get to his later contract years they are in a position to make a decision one way or another without killing themselves.

So, the Redskins problems aren't that they sign guys to big deals with big front money, the problem is that too many of those players (Archuleta, Randle El and Brandon Lloyd come to mind) aren't worth in in the short term. The contracts to guys like Jansen, Samuels, Moss and Portis aren't an issue because those players are good.

jmb1099
02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
:stretcher :injured: :injured: :injured: :fogey: :fogey: :fogey:
yeah well Gregg Williams is trying to rebuild his 04 Buffalo D in Washington, but someone forgot to tell him that the D completely fell apart in 05 and now all those guys are 3 years older.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
but isn't there still some cap hit on a restructure? They still have to amortize those big bonuses somehow.

jmb1099
02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
but isn't there still some cap hit on a restructure? They still have to amortize those big bonuses somehow.
It isn't supposed to happen, but my guess is that there are huge incentives offered that have nothing to do with the cap.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
It isn't supposed to happen, but my guess is that there are huge incentives offered that have nothing to do with the cap.

I thought incentives were broken down into Likely to be Acheived (LTBA) and Not Likely to Be Acheived (NLTBA). LTBA's have to be reconciled with the cap ahead of time and NLTBA's don't have to be reconciled unless they're actually reached. So in the long run, that could still hurt them.

jmb1099
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I thought incentives were broken down into Likely to be Acheived (LTBA) and Not Likely to Be Acheived (NLTBA). LTBA's have to be reconciled with the cap ahead of time and NLTBA's don't have to be reconciled unless they're actually reached. So in the long run, that could still hurt them.
Its been my experince in dealing with accounting types that there are more ways to screw with numbers than numbers. I don't understand it, but my guess is that its all "legit" even though its fuzzy

gr8slayer
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
They don't build through the draft which is why they will never win.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
legal or not, I still want to kick Dan Snyder in the nuts.

gr8slayer
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
legal or not, I still want to kick Dan Snyder in the nuts.
You can't blame a guy for being a damn good business man.

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't consider him that great of a business man if he can't put a winner on the field. I can't see any possible way that they don't go through a season or two of cap hell to get out of the mess that has already been created.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
You can't blame a guy for being a damn good business man.

no but I can blame him for finding every way possible to bleed the fans of his team dry and trying to do the same thing to fans of other teams (like us). Redskins games have gotten so corporate that average fans can't even afford to go anymore, and Snyder can go **** himself for trying to make the rest of the league the same way.

Mr. Miyagi
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
The Redskins specialize in overpriced free agents who never quite mesh and have no chemistry or sense of commitment. They can have Fletch and Nate both, as far as I'm concerned.
Dan Synder is basically playing fantasy football with an actual NFL team.

gr8slayer
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM
no but I can blame him for finding every way possible to bleed the fans of his team dry and trying to do the same thing to fans of other teams (like us). Redskins games have gotten so corporate that average fans can't even afford to go anymore, and Snyder can go **** himself for trying to make the rest of the league the same way.
It's the American way. Step on anyone you have to to get to the top. I wish we had an owner that would step on people more. Maybe we wouldn't have to guess if our team is going to be around every year.

RockStar36
02-14-2007, 10:59 AM
By stepping on everyone is he really getting to the top? Isn't winning a SB getting to the top? Or is he making so much money that he just doesn't care about winning?

skinsfan
02-14-2007, 10:59 AM
I hope Washington signs Clements this offseason. Fletcher i do not care for though. I think this offseason the Skins will take it easier in free agency and shift a little more focus on the draft by trading down our 1st round pick to get more picks and provide young depth. This is all based on that we have enough cap room to sign the picks and some free agents.

Talk0fNewYork
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Dan Synder is basically playing fantasy football with an actual NFL team.
Yeah that sums it up nicely!

camelcowboy
02-14-2007, 11:56 AM
It's the American way. Step on anyone you have to to get to the top. I wish we had an owner that would step on people more. Maybe we wouldn't have to guess if our team is going to be around every year.

Yeah, you could also have a team that has a hall of fame coach, The top assistant coaches in the game, and all the top level free agents, but at the end of the year the skins are picking with the 6th overall pick. Snyder can step on who he wants his team still sucks.

gr8slayer
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
By stepping on people I did not mean his team is doing well on the field. My point is it must be nice as a fan to know that your team will not be going anywhere. Kinda sucks that we have to live in fear of going under because we don't make enough money.

Football is a business over all else, sucks for fans but its just a fact. And from a financial stand point there is no better owner out there than Snyder.

OpIv37
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
By stepping on people I did not mean his team is doing well on the field. My point is it must be nice as a fan to know that your team will not be going anywhere. Kinda sucks that we have to live in fear of going under because we don't make enough money.

Football is a business over all else, sucks for fans but its just a fact. And from a financial stand point there is no better owner out there than Snyder.

there are plenty of teams in the league on solid financial ground that managed to do it without sticking it to the fans. Dan Snyder is the best owner in the league for Dan Snyder. He pretty much sucks if you're, say, ANYONE ELSE.

Ickybaluky
02-14-2007, 02:23 PM

Yeah, but they charge off a little more of the bonuses each year, so if they reach the back end of the contract a large percentage of the money is charged off. They live with a certain amount of dead money each year and it doesn't bother them because they manage to keep the cap hits lower for some of their better players. At the back end of the deal the savings realized from cutting the guy more than offsets the dead money left on his deal. When they sign a new guy to replace the player released, they keep his cap hit low in the early years to offset the dead money from the player let go.

The problems they run into are when they sign guys who suck from the start. Archuleta is a dreadful deal for them because he isn't playing much and he would be a negative cap hit if released. Thus, they can't cut him without a big negative cap effect. Those are the killer contracts.

As for the draft, the Redskins have actually done a decent job with the draft, especially with their high picks. The biggest problem they have is they keep giving away picks so they don't have many picks to make each year. That is one thing that hurt them.

There is more than one strategy to building a team and managing the cap. Keep in mind Indy just won a Super Bowl despite having heavy bonus amortizations on their best players. The difference is their best players have been good enough that they will reach the back-end of the deals and the cap hit can be managed. They haven't made the mistakes the Redskins have on some free agents (other than Corey Simon), and they haven't given away draft picks. Still, they follow basically the same cap model, and Snyder could probably learn a thing or two from their example.

Marvelous
02-14-2007, 05:03 PM
They give big signing bonuses and overload the back end of the contracts
yeah.....

That's why the sal;ary cap sucks..All teams/owners do is backload the contracts with huge Signing bonuses.. Freakin rediculous...The Signing Bonuses need to go totaly....

---I agree we need more from the MLB position.Although Fletch is a beast! In fact i wear his away jersey every away game..
BUT
--Clements is really gonna be missed. Both safeties are new & raw. McGee is coming off a mediocre season. Atleast from what he's capable of..And Youboty is useless to us this season...We really really need to resign Kiwakee Thomas. And the sound of that means we're in trouble...Our D is gonna cost us bigtime next year....We couldn't stop the run lastyear, and now we're gonna struggle against elite WR's....Imagine what woulda happened if McGee covered Harrison last year.:(

--I pray we can deal McGahee for a extra day 1 pick...Maybe even get the 340lb NT..Even on the wrong side of 30 is fine..

Night Train
02-14-2007, 05:27 PM
The Skins, according to Ego Sports Programming Network, is just 4.3 Mil under the cap.

So restructure 10 starters and offer insane signing bonus spread over 5-6 years, with only 1-2 Mil in base salary ?

The Skins are all flash and no substance. The objective is to win football games in the fall, not headlines in the off-season. They will NEVER win with Snyder but hundreds of older players will walk away rich.

G. Host
02-14-2007, 08:35 PM
The Skins are all flash and no substance. The objective is to win football games in the fall, not headlines in the off-season. They will NEVER win with Snyder but hundreds of older players will walk away rich.

Danny gets what he wants out of the deal - guests for his cocktail parties (several told them they were not interested and were put on trading block or cut) who snooze with the corporate high rollers who buy the boxes. I am surpriised he has not cut deals with players in that he will get them 'advertising contracts' which in return they cut their salaries to save room on cap so he can buy more toys. I expext in 10 years we will be hearing about a scandal with Deadskins like SF one where they were found violating cap via back doors for years.

clumping platelets
02-14-2007, 11:45 PM
The Redskins aren't immune. The cap isn't a hard number, it is an accounting figure.

First of all, people misunderstand the contracts the Redskins sign people to, thinking they are hard figures. Their contracts are backloaded, so the early years have lower cap numbers. The player sign the contracts knowing the back years are inflated, in exchange for more front money. However, their 3-year averages are in line with other contracts.

When the Redskins reach the inflated years further into those contracts they either release the player or restructure the deal. For instance, they extended Jon Jansen and lowered his cap number by millions this year, saving cap space.

Where they get in trouble is the contracts they offer guys who don't perform. The Adam Archuleta is a bad one, because he never performed so he can't get out to the three-year average on the deal where a decision can be made. Instead they are forced to carry him until then (he cap number isn't too bad if they keep him) or release him with a negative cap effect.

A contract like the one Clinton Portis has signed isn't a problem, because he has lived up to it and when they get to his later contract years they are in a position to make a decision one way or another without killing themselves.

So, the Redskins problems aren't that they sign guys to big deals with big front money, the problem is that too many of those players (Archuleta, Randle El and Brandon Lloyd come to mind) aren't worth in in the short term. The contracts to guys like Jansen, Samuels, Moss and Portis aren't an issue because those players are good.

Y'all read this and understand :up:

Ickybaluky
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I am surpriised he has not cut deals with players in that he will get them 'advertising contracts' which in return they cut their salaries to save room on cap so he can buy more toys.

You may be right.

Remember the big scandal when Marino signed a contract extension with the Dolphins and then invested like $1M in some company associated with Wayne Huizenga? The company has a stock split or something shortly thereafter and he made a killing. People were up an arms because of the appearance that Huizenga tipped off Marino on the stock as part of the contract negotiation. The NFL investigated but didn't punish Miami because they couldn't prove anything, but apparently they had some discussions behind the scenes to tell owners to refrain from that sort of thing.

I imagine stuff like that happens more often than we think, especially given it is hard to prove.

patmoran2006
02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I predict Fletcher will end up in Detroit, and Clements in New Orleans.

sqad5
02-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Damn redskins are like the New York Yankees of the NFL lol:dance:

OpIv37
02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Damn redskins are like the New York Yankees of the NFL lol:dance:

well they like to think they are, but at least the Yankees win on occasion.