• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Thoughts on free angency issue

I think we should be cognizant of what has been said by the Bills braintrust when discussing what we may or may not do in free agency. Heres a few important comments made:

1) Ralph Wilson after the last Bills game- "We've gotta get some offensive line help," Wilson. Those are his words.

2) Marv in the Marv Levy show after the Ravens game- "Willis had a difficult year". "JP won the confidence of his team mates which is critical". "All of our defensive ends played very well". On areas we need to improve on defense..."defense against the run....improvement in our linebacker play". On needs for the next season, "We are very solid in that department (special teams) I can look elsewhere". "JP comes in as our starter next year...it would take an unbelievable performance for someone to beat him out". On free agency, "Nate Clements, London Fletcher, Chris Kelsay, Mike Gandy...we want to retain them but there are alot of intricacies". "We want to retain our own first...be a little cautious on spending it all on somebody from the outside". "we need to improve our ability to run and our ability to stop the run". Hes would not say hes concerned about our d-line, would only say hes evaluating it and had ideas as do others.

3) Jim Overdorf on the cap situation- "This year (2006 season) we pretty much spent up to the cap" Huhhh????? "This upcoming year we will have room to maneuver both in free agency and keeping our own free agents". "This has become a cash league more than a cap league" (paraphrasing) We will have to pay close attention to what cash we have with respect to what we spend in free agency. "Hopefully we will still be a player in it (after Nate hits the market)". Murphy asked if the trend on signing second year guys was the philosophy for this upcoming offseason. Overdorf responded that its year by year and that it just so happened that those second tier players were what they targeted last year.

Thats the facts as they were stated.

You can spin this stuff a ton of different ways but if you take the words at face value, some interesting points come forward:

1) O-line is an area we will address
    2) D-line appears to be an area where we feel pretty solid. Combo of Marvs comments on the DT's and how he feels our DE's played very well.
    3) We plan to NOT sign huge contract free agents. Marv talked about being cautious and not spending it all on one player. Overdorf mentioned that we have to pay close attention to our CASH (not cap) in free agency.
    4) Running and stopping the run are priorities. Marv says Willis had a difficult year, my opinion is that RB is an area of concern. Marv says d-line is NOT a concern but then mentions LB. I think he feels we need improvement in LB to stop the run.

Taking that forward:

1) I think we can safely forget about Briggs. June? maybe still a possibility but if he gets top dollar, we wont pay it and we will bow out.
    2) I think we can forget about DT and maybe even DE with the exception of Kelsay maybe leaving in the 1st round and a major signing in FA.
    3) I think the Bills may just pull the trigger and draft a future RB if Lynch or Peterson drops. Marvs comments about Willis, Willis's comments on wanting a new contract, not paying huge FA contracts when were talking about a franchise RB, I think drafting one with the best chance for early success (early rounds) is likely.
    4) I think we let Nate hit the market but we are definetly a player in resigning him.
    5) I think an early draft pick on the o-line is a high possibility. We heard the braintrust give alot of respect to Pennington and Peters so it may not be a OT, since there isnt a OG likely to be a 1st rounder, I think 2nd round on we should look for an OG. Marv also mentioned Fowler by name so I think we feel solid at C as well. Again, the comments on not spending huge money indicate Steinbach is likely out of the picture. So if your hoping for a real upgrade at OG and we are only signing second tier guys I think we should be thinking the draft.

Sorry, I wish we were gonna spend big money, it doesnt appear likely. I also wish for a stud DT like Corey Simon (big money), or Okoye but thats not likely to happen either.

Taking it a bit farther:

1) I think our most likely 1st round targets are CB and RB now with an eye at LB. It seems pretty clear those are our priorities.
    2) I think on the rest of day one we look at whatever isnt drafted in the 1st and add in the possibility of an OG and DE if Kelsay leaves.

Lets recheck this after the draft and see if its right. I dont care about being right only in accurately reading into what our braintrust says to more accurately predict the future.

Any thoughts are welcome.

• HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Thoughts on free angency issue

Originally posted by jp-era
    I think we should be cognizant of what has been said by the Bills braintrust when discussing what we may or may not do in free agency. Heres a few important comments made:

1) Ralph Wilson after the last Bills game- "We've gotta get some offensive line help," Wilson. Those are his words.

2) Marv in the Marv Levy show after the Ravens game- "Willis had a difficult year". "JP won the confidence of his team mates which is critical". "All of our defensive ends played very well". On areas we need to improve on defense..."defense against the run....improvement in our linebacker play". On needs for the next season, "We are very solid in that department (special teams) I can look elsewhere". "JP comes in as our starter next year...it would take an unbelievable performance for someone to beat him out". On free agency, "Nate Clements, London Fletcher, Chris Kelsay, Mike Gandy...we want to retain them but there are alot of intricacies". "We want to retain our own first...be a little cautious on spending it all on somebody from the outside". "we need to improve our ability to run and our ability to stop the run". Hes would not say hes concerned about our d-line, would only say hes evaluating it and had ideas as do others.

3) Jim Overdorf on the cap situation- "This year (2006 season) we pretty much spent up to the cap" Huhhh????? "This upcoming year we will have room to maneuver both in free agency and keeping our own free agents". "This has become a cash league more than a cap league" (paraphrasing) We will have to pay close attention to what cash we have with respect to what we spend in free agency. "Hopefully we will still be a player in it (after Nate hits the market)". Murphy asked if the trend on signing second year guys was the philosophy for this upcoming offseason. Overdorf responded that its year by year and that it just so happened that those second tier players were what they targeted last year.

You can spin this stuff a ton of different ways but if you take the words at face value, some interesting points come forward:

2) D-line appears to be an area where we feel pretty solid. Combo of Marvs comments on the DT's and how he feels our DE's played very well.
    3) We plan to NOT sign huge contract free agents. Marv talked about being cautious and not spending it all on one player. Overdorf mentioned that we have to pay close attention to our CASH (not cap) in free agency.
    4) Running and stopping the run are priorities. Marv says Willis had a difficult year, my opinion is that RB is an area of concern. Marv says d-line is NOT a concern but then mentions LB. I think he feels we need improvement in LB to stop the run.

Taking that forward:

1) I think we can safely forget about Briggs. June? maybe still a possibility but if he gets top dollar, we wont pay it and we will bow out.
    2) I think we can forget about DT and maybe even DE with the exception of Kelsay maybe leaving in the 1st round and a major signing in FA.
    3) I think the Bills may just pull the trigger and draft a future RB if Lynch or Peterson drops. Marvs comments about Willis, Willis's comments on wanting a new contract, not paying huge FA contracts when were talking about a franchise RB, I think drafting one with the best chance for early success (early rounds) is likely.
    4) I think we let Nate hit the market but we are definetly a player in resigning him.
    5) I think an early draft pick on the o-line is a high possibility. We heard the braintrust give alot of respect to Pennington and Peters so it may not be a OT, since there isnt a OG likely to be a 1st rounder, I think 2nd round on we should look for an OG. Marv also mentioned Fowler by name so I think we feel solid at C as well. Again, the comments on not spending huge money indicate Steinbach is likely out of the picture. So if your hoping for a real upgrade at OG and we are only signing second tier guys I think we should be thinking the draft.

Sorry, I wish we were gonna spend big money, it doesnt appear likely. I also wish for a stud DT like Corey Simon (big money), or Okoye but thats not likely to happen either.

Taking it a bit farther:

1) I think our most likely 1st round targets are CB and RB now with an eye at LB. It seems pretty clear those are our priorities.
    2) I think on the rest of day one we look at whatever isnt drafted in the 1st and add in the possibility of an OG and DE if Kelsay leaves.

Lets recheck this after the draft and see if its right. I dont care about being right only in accurately reading into what our braintrust says to more accurately predict the future.

Great post. I think we still could afford Dielman but I agree that Briggs is not going to be in a Bills uni.

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
      • Jun 2003

I don't see Briggs coming here either. I see someone like Boss Bailey coming in at OLB and sliding Crowell over.
      www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Thanks for compiling those quotes. My take is similar to yours, but a little different.

Marv said stopping the run is a problem. I didn't notice anywhere where anyone said the DT's were not an issue. I still think a run stuffing DT could be a possibility somewhere.

I agree with LB, it appears they feel that Fletcher (and maybe some others) were not that great at stopping the run and there need to be upgrades.

Definitely OG there will be some action I think.

I'm not sold that they aren't sold on Willis. The ability to run the ball and "tough year" for Willis could be attributed to the weak OL. Nevertheless, you may be right, RB may be in the cards.

I guess I see definite action at OG, LB, CB, then probably something with DT and maybe RB.

Jon

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

I agree with this 100% with the only caviat being that if a super stud WR like Jarrett is there, we may take him. Trading down is a good possibility for us.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mudflap1
            Thanks for compiling those quotes. My take is similar to yours, but a little different.

Marv said stopping the run is a problem. I didn't notice anywhere where anyone said the DT's were not an issue. I still think a run stuffing DT could be a possibility somewhere.

I agree with LB, it appears they feel that Fletcher (and maybe some others) were not that great at stopping the run and there need to be upgrades.

Definitely OG there will be some action I think.

I'm not sold that they aren't sold on Willis. The ability to run the ball and "tough year" for Willis could be attributed to the weak OL. Nevertheless, you may be right, RB may be in the cards.

I guess I see definite action at OG, LB, CB, then probably something with DT and maybe RB.

Jon
            Hmmm, must be I missed the quote. Its there in his Marv Levy show. The question was was he concerned about the DT position and he said he didnt think it was a concern, they would get McCargo back, he went on to say they would evaluate the position the same as all the others. It didnt sound as if he had DT as a high priority or a priority at all.

On Willis, you should really listen to the 1/7 or 8 Marv Levy show under multimedia on BB.com to hear what he said on it. But, his words were that Willis had a difficult year, he went on to talk about him being hurt, and then talked to changes in the o-line, but he did not say anything about the o-line being to blame as a unit, just that they made personnel changes. I think whats telling is that he also didnt come out and talk about Willis being a great player, or a top player. Overdorf was asked about Willis's contract and basically said that they would look at all contracts of all youu players, very non comittal. Add in Marvs comments on run and stop the run and you can see at least a question mark on Willis. I didnt say they are saying hes gone, I think hes under scutiny here and the position is in question.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
              !?!?!?!?!?
              • Mar 2006

Taking that forward:

Taking it a bit farther:

great post dude!!!! this leads me to believe we will add a very good back up RB a nice run stuffer and let Tim Anderson walk and our priority in free agency will be O-line....we will also resign Chris Kelsay......i think our first pick in the draft will be a RB and in 2nd round we will take a CB.....TE i dont see addressed this offseason with any big upgrades

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

I hate to do it, but considering todays press conf, I think this was dead on.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Does anyone think they DIDNT say what I have here?

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Does anyone think they DIDNT say what I have here?

Don't agree with #5. Paraphrasing what Marv said, :you don't expect alot from rookies" in regards to the O-line, my interpetation is, we will actively go after atleast 1 if not 2 guards (maybe 1 FA and 1 RFA) Oline to look like this

Peters FA Folwer FA Pennington/Butler with Butler winning out.

Like Marv said you need the TE to be a threat in the passing game, which he cannot do if he is helping Pennington with protection on every 7 step drop.

I expect 2 O-linemen in FA maybe not 2 top tier but atleast 1 top tier and 1 improvement over what we got. Listen to it again Gandy I believe is gone.

Clements is gone Cannot afford him and 2 guards, you get alot more bang for the buck by not resigning him.

If we could trade Spikes for a 3rd rounder I would do it!

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                      • Sep 2003

We must caution ourselves as the draft is drawing closer, there may be a few more of these sound bites as Marv may look to maneuver in the draft! If Lynch is there and lots of peps are predicting him going to GB maybe we swap with the and gather more picks...

I truely believe Marv is playing the game! It's going to be fun to watch!

P.S. He has alot more experiance in the NFL than all of us message board GM's (with maybe ICE as the lone exception) so trust him and the staff!

Comment

Working...
                      X