PDA

View Full Version : Darcy Reiger Denies Any Interst In Making A Trade.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-14-2007, 10:39 PM
"When you don't have any additional cap space, you have to look at flexibility," Regier said.
"Do you want the extra depth in goal? Do you want to exchange it for an extra defenseman or an extra forward? The thing that has to be respected is that this group that put us in first place, so to the extent that we change it, it's because we believe it's going to make us stronger."

One rumor that's been floated is that Tim Connolly's salary wouldn't count towards the salary cap if he didn't return until the playoffs. WGR's Brad Riter spoke with NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly last night, who told him the rumor was, in fact, a rule, but anyone abusing that rule would be penalized.

Regier said that penalty would be at least one of the players being deemed ineligible for the post-season. Regardless, he wasn't concerned about that happening to Buffalo.

"I've had a number of discussions with the league not because we're trying to circumvent anything," Regier said, "But the concern is if we're playing by the rules, everyone else better be playing by the rules, because there are a number of long-term injured reserve players out there."

Despite that rule, Regier said he considers Tim Connolly part of the roster, and that any deadline deal would be a "dollar-for-dollar" deal.

"We're dependent on the medical staff and they're really at a best guess situation," Regier said. "Right now, all indications are we will have Tim Connolly back."

In the case of Paul Gaustad, who Regier said would be added to long-term injured reserve in the future, the team faces a decision on where to spend that money.

"Quite honestly, under the cap system, our choice would be replace Dan Paille and send him back to the minors or keep him because his salary is close to Paul Gaustad's salary," he said. "Dan Paille is a good hockey player. He's only going to get better. It'll just be the decision do you want to keep him here learning for the balance of the year?"

Regier did say the loss of Gaustad hurts.

"Gaustad really was coming along," he said. "He exceeds all predictions. He's just one of these guys that doesn't stop getting better. He really was starting to assume a lot of the role that we saw Mike Grier fill last year."

Regier said the Sabres are allowed a 23-man roster up to the Feb. 27 trade deadline, and then four recalls from Rochester. If the Amerks are in the playoffs, that number stays at four. Regier added that he can't imagine being able to put a non-roster player in Gaustad's shoes.

"Someone said, 'are you going to replace him?' I said, 'If another team has a Paul Gaustad and views him the way we view him, then the question would come back to us.' Would we trade a Paul Gaustad? We'd need a tremendous reason."

A popular option with fans is to deal prospects for players. Regier said that simply isn't an option, and to look at No. 19.

"You're going to be capped out," he said. "So to the extent that you use a prospect from the minors to acquire a player, you have no place to put that player. In a lot of ways, our trade deadline player is Tim Connolly."

Regier also nixed the idea of either of his unrestricted-free-agent-to-be captains headed anywhere other than the Sabres' post-season.

"Everyone's accepted that Chris Drury is not going to anywhere during this season," Regier said. "He's a great playoff player, but he's going to stay in Buffalo. We used all of our resources to get here besides Tim Connolly. You have to show the group that's here a lot of respect."

"They're like a package, those two. They work well together. They lead well together. They play well together. This is about the Stanley Cup. This isn't about trading Chris Drury or Danny Briere because there's a good deal out there."
http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=2167

He was against leaving Connolly on the bench until the playoffs and picking up another player to fill his cap room.

and

He said the team as is was a cup team, so I don't see him doing a player swap.

and

I don't see him trading marty.

Thus, I think that spells out standing pat. I think this is what Golisano was trying to say last night

camelcowboy
02-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Stop twisting his words, all he's saying is that any trade would have to be cash for cash. Listening to him he was vaguely leaving the possibilty of trading biron. Mark my word Losmanwins they're going to make a move.
Briere, and Drury won't be traded, prospects won't be traded for a rental player because they don't have cap room, but Biron could possibly be traded if the feel depth at forward, or defense is more important than goal tending depth. Alot can happen in two weeks

THATHURMANATOR
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Sounds like he will stand pat unless something he can't pass up comes along. I am fine with that!

clumping platelets
02-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Darcy :negrep:

Leave Connolly out til next year and get the help we need this year to win it all :mad:

jamesiscool
02-15-2007, 01:31 AM
there is nooooooo way biron is getting traded. not with the way the miller has played since the all star break. birons been solid in net and if we wanna make it deep in the playoffs who's guna spell miller in net, i hear bob essensa is on the free agent market......

James

camelcowboy
02-15-2007, 07:39 AM
there is nooooooo way biron is getting traded. not with the way the miller has played since the all star break. birons been solid in net and if we wanna make it deep in the playoffs who's guna spell miller in net, i hear bob essensa is on the free agent market......

James

As tragic as this may seem miller will get all the playoff games while marty warms the bench, they need to move him his value is the highest right now.

ricogarion
02-15-2007, 07:39 AM
So if we take on salary the same amount of salary has to leave,I'm ok with that I am sure there are some guys here that could be moved that would not hurt us long term.Just consider the guys that have floated for long stretchs this year its easy to identify them.Package them out and bring a good one in its sort of addition by subtraction.