X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Butler Could Make Impressive Jump In Second Year

Bills head coach Dick Jauron has said many times that young players often make their greatest degree of improvement between year one and year two of their playing careers. The player poised to make the greatest leap in season two however, may surprise you.

Buffalo's fifth-round pick Brad Butler didn't contribute to the team's success as much as most of his other fellow draft class members in 2006, but there was a good reason. Butler wasn't fully recovered from shoulder surgery performed in January.

• Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Butler Could Make Impressive Jump In Second Year

Did he have a first round grade too?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

That means Pennington should improve, also. And he has the head start in the line-up.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Levy's evaluation of Pennington and Butler is VERY important as it may determine whether we would take Levi Brown in round one should he be on the board.

I still say/hope we go DL in round one.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
          That means Pennington should improve, also. And he has the head start in the line-up.
          I'd love to see Pennington continue to develop at tackle and Butler - who is big and smart and mean, and more highly regarded than Pennington coming out of college - slide in beside him at guard.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I'd love to see Pennington continue to develop at tackle and Butler - who is big and smart and mean, and more highly regarded than Pennington coming out of college - slide in beside him at guard.
            I believe Butler has gained some weight, but I still think he will need to gain more if he is to play guard. I think more likely he will backup at Tackle - which is fine with me. I'm more interested in what Merz has done in the offseason and has he gotten stronger. Also, I think the FO should consider Reyes at RG too if they don't want to bring in a FA. Reyes was playing okay at LG when he was replaced by Gandy. Reyes (well, anybody) would be an improvement over Villarial or Preston.

I still prefer to bring in one of the best two or threee FAs available for the RG position however...

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

You can pretty much figure out what's going on at OBD from Jauron so our OL is pretty much set whether you like it or not.

Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Butler, Pennington.

I was really hoping for (2) bigger names, or at least one.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                I believe Butler has gained some weight, but I still think he will need to gain more if he is to play guard. I think more likely he will backup at Tackle - which is fine with me. I'm more interested in what Merz has done in the offseason and has he gotten stronger. Also, I think the FO should consider Reyes at RG too if they don't want to bring in a FA. Reyes was playing okay at LG when he was replaced by Gandy. Reyes (well, anybody) would be an improvement over Villarial or Preston.

I still prefer to bring in one of the best two or threee FAs available for the RG position however...
                I thought Reyes got cut already?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  I thought Reyes got cut already?
                  Tutan Reyes is signed thru 2007, I believe, and is still on the roster as far as I know...

Comment

• Romes
                    • Jul 2002

I wonder what will happen with Villarial...sounds like he isn't in the plans but I wonder because DJ was praising him as a leader on the OL before he got hurt.

ps. I hope he isn't in the plans cause he stunk it up last year....yeah he was hurt but he really played terrible.
                    Originally posted by paladin warrior
                    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• sqad5
                      • Dec 2004

Let the line play out this year jp did pretty good with that line now if willis can nevermind lol
                      >

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

The run blocking must improve on the right side. It was terrible last year and you could tell since they almost never ran right after Peters moved left.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Levy's evaluation of Pennington and Butler is VERY important as it may determine whether we would take Levi Brown in round one should he be on the board.

I still say/hope we go DL in round one.
                          Yeah. I'd like DL or LB in round one. Though I wouldn't be outraged if they drafted a running back.
                          Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                            You can pretty much figure out what's going on at OBD from Jauron so our OL is pretty much set whether you like it or not.

Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Butler, Pennington.

I was really hoping for (2) bigger names, or at least one.
                            i really dont think gandy is set in stone at all. he may actually get some offers from other teams based on his performance last season at guard and the fact that he offers some versatility to play tackle if needed.

This is where I believe our line stands:

1. LT and Center are definately Peters and Fowler.

2. RT is definately Pennington or Butler. Pennington probably has the upper hand based on his experience and prototypical size, but Butler is talented and has the attitude you want from an NFL lineman. the "mean streak", so to say.

did you guys see this quote by McNally?

Seeing the change for the better in Butler toward the end of last season has McNally convinced that the former fifth-round pick will pose a serious challenge to Pennington at right tackle next summer or sooner.
                            3. Both Guard spots are open. I wont be surprised if gandy is resigned, but I do think they are looking to upgrade both spots. So you will probably see Merz, Butler, Preston, battling for those spots, as well as a EITHER a FA Guard OR a Draftee to compete.

just my 2 cents.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
                              Yeah. I'd like DL or LB in round one. Though I wouldn't be outraged if they drafted a running back.
                              i think i would probably be most excited if we drafted a RB.. but i will be happy with just about anythihg.

not that i regret it, but this years first rounder cant be worse than how pissed i was when i heard "the bills select Saftey from Ohio State, Donte Whitner".

i about threw up.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X