PDA

View Full Version : Some for those of you who think we should re-sign Clements....

OpIv37
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
1. DraftBoy did an analysis on our running game, and he pointed out that the D gave up a lot more runs to the outside than to the inside. That suggests that the CB's aren't doing their job as far as reading plays and/or making open field tackles when the RB gets to the outside. Why would we shell out huge money for a CB who can't play the run?

2. Similar to the first point, our D can't stop the run. Hence, teams are rarely forced to pass against us. Our low-scoring offense also doesn't help in this regard. Why pay so much money for a player when the rest of the team is incapable of putting him in a position to make a play?

3. People seem to think that Nate is a "shut down corner". I disagree, but for the purpose of this post, I will concede the point. The Tampa-2/Cover-2 (whatever you want to call it) does not rely on one-on-one coverage by CB's very often, so shut down corners are not really necessary. Certainly it helps to have them, but not at the most expensive position in the NFL. Jeff Posey, Sam Adams, Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy were let go because they "don't fit this defense". Well, why would we overpay for a guy who doesn't fit the defense?

The only real reason I can see for keeping Clements is this: there aren't a lot of big name FA's out there, and it's unlikely we'll be able to get any of them anyway. If we have the cap space, we might as well keep him. The unfortunate reality is that he said he wants to test the FA market so a lot of teams will be calling him up as soon as FA starts. If the Bills want a shot, they're gonna have to do it early and basically destroy whatever little chance they have at attracting FA's in other positions of need.

Mudflap1
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
The Bills faced a lot more pass plays this past year than running plays, and were 9th in the league in pass defense.

That being said, if we can't re-sign Clements, so be it, we can probably get a decent corner for much cheaper (Nick Harper?) to play his part in the Tampa 2.

Jon

OpIv37
02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
The Bills faced a lot more pass plays this past year than running plays, and were 9th in the league in pass defense.

That being said, if we can't re-sign Clements, so be it, we can probably get a decent corner for much cheaper (Nick Harper?) to play his part in the Tampa 2.

Jon

I'm thinking our best bet is to get someone like Harper to start and let Youboty play nickel til he catches on- then figure out where to go from there at the end of next season. It's not ideal, but it beats overpaying Clements.

patmoran2006
02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
There is no chance Clements is coming back, and at $7+ million per year in a cover two defense, I dont want him. They could get two QUALITY players for the price of one by doing away with him.

I think he's going to end up in New Orleans.. They got mad cap room and they desperately need a good corner for that defense.

Mudflap1
02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking our best bet is to get someone like Harper to start and let Youboty play nickel til he catches on- then figure out where to go from there at the end of next season. It's not ideal, but it beats overpaying Clements.

Agree 100%. I think that's what they are going to do.

An interesting, thought-provoking note for you guys on something that has never been brought up before:

Have you noticed that the Bills over the last several years have often gone after players from similar areas such as Buffalo or decent players from crappy teams in larger markets? It's not always the case, but rarely do the Bills go hard after a player that is from a big-market team. Most players the Bills go after are from small-market teams, and, as we have seen, there are often ties to the previous teams that the particular coach at the time (or GM -- Donahoe) have had.

Examples:

Spikes was from Cincy (similar market)
Fletcher -- St. Louis (similar)
Tripplett -- Indy (similar market)
Fowler -- Minny (similar market)
Posey -- Houston (larger market -- awful team)
we went hard after Ryan Pickett last year, who was St. Louis and signed with Green Bay
all of the ex-Pittsburgh (similar market)
guys Tom Donahoe brought in over the years

Bledsoe was an exception, and he was through a trade
Vincent was an exception, coming from Philly
Milloy was an exception, coming from NE

I guess my point here is guys like Nick Harper and Cato June, who are from small market teams and play a similar defense as we do, are likely targets for the Bills once free agency opens. High-profile players from the larger markets are not very likely, as there will be a lot of cash being thrown at them.

So yeah, I agree with the Harper-to-Buffalo sort of scenario, with the Bills making a run at Thomas to re-sign at CB, otherwise having Youboty as the nickel next year.

Jon

Billsrock4life
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
the DE is just is much reponsible for the run outside as the CB, along with the weakside and strongside linebackers

patmoran2006
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
the DE is just is much reponsible for the run outside as the CB, along with the weakside and strongside linebackers
Yep, and kelsay is one of the very worst in the NFL against the run.

patmoran2006
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I dont think any corner in the NFL is worth $7 million plus a year when you're playing a cover two.

All available money I'd spend up front.. having a great front seven and a solid run support safety is the most important.

X-Era
02-15-2007, 04:31 PM
1. DraftBoy did an analysis on our running game, and he pointed out that the D gave up a lot more runs to the outside than to the inside. That suggests that the CB's aren't doing their job as far as reading plays and/or making open field tackles when the RB gets to the outside. Why would we shell out huge money for a CB who can't play the run?

2. Similar to the first point, our D can't stop the run. Hence, teams are rarely forced to pass against us. Our low-scoring offense also doesn't help in this regard. Why pay so much money for a player when the rest of the team is incapable of putting him in a position to make a play?

3. People seem to think that Nate is a "shut down corner". I disagree, but for the purpose of this post, I will concede the point. The Tampa-2/Cover-2 (whatever you want to call it) does not rely on one-on-one coverage by CB's very often, so shut down corners are not really necessary. Certainly it helps to have them, but not at the most expensive position in the NFL. Jeff Posey, Sam Adams, Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy were let go because they "don't fit this defense". Well, why would we overpay for a guy who doesn't fit the defense?

The only real reason I can see for keeping Clements is this: there aren't a lot of big name FA's out there, and it's unlikely we'll be able to get any of them anyway. If we have the cap space, we might as well keep him. The unfortunate reality is that he said he wants to test the FA market so a lot of teams will be calling him up as soon as FA starts. If the Bills want a shot, they're gonna have to do it early and basically destroy whatever little chance they have at attracting FA's in other positions of need.

Theres no disagreement with you basic premise as far as Im concerned. I think the big point is that we arent getting addition by subtraction here. Whos his replacement? We dont have one and by the looks of it wont pay for one, that leaves the draft which is a crapshoot.

So, this appears to be heading in the wrong direction at a critical position. Its not that hes a stud per say, only that we get wors if we lose him.

I think he leaves and then CB becomes our number one priority. RB, ILB, OG are the only other starting spots not filled in my mind. Out of that, you could argue CB is the most critical. RB's can be had cheaper in FA, and deeper in the draft. ILB's have help at DT and S, OG is one of the most underrated positions, we may not like it, but its true.

Philagape
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
DE is a more critical need than CB. In our system, upgrade there and we can get by without Nate. If Youboty's not ready yet, there are mid-tier CBs available (Harper).

Philagape
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Plus, our safeties will have a year under their belts, and the improvement there will help a lot.

X-Era
02-15-2007, 04:51 PM
DE is a more critical need than CB. In our system, upgrade there and we can get by without Nate. If Youboty's not ready yet, there are mid-tier CBs available (Harper).

I can agree with that, Id love the next Bruce. But my recent post highlighting Marvs comments seems to suggest the Bills braintrust doesnt agree.

I honestly think we wont do it.

Mudflap1
02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I can agree with that, Id love the next Bruce. But my recent post highlighting Marvs comments seems to suggest the Bills braintrust doesnt agree.

I honestly think we wont do it.

I think Marv rolls with Schobel, Denney, and Hargrove as his DE's next year...

Jon

Tatonka
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
i am really not sure what they will do with clements. i think they really like him, but obviously he will cost alot. i guess all i can say is that i wont be shocked if we keep him, but it would be mildly surprising.

Philagape
02-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't have much confidence in our brain trust if they've already made up their minds about draft choices.

patmoran2006
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
There is NO WAY we are keeping Clements.. Im fine with that though.

I'd much rather spend HEAVILY on each side of the line.

dolphan117
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
You know I wonder if it might not make sense for you guys to let Nate walk and replace him with Nick Harper. He should be quite a bit cheaper and has proven he can play well in a Tampa 2.

I mean I'm not a big fan of letting a guy like Clements walk just because you don't want to shell out a lot of cash........... But if you can let him walk with the knowledge that you will be able to replace him with another top corner who fits right into your system and is cheaper... That's a whole different story.

chernobylwraiths
02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
For the most part a CB isn't EXPECTED to stop the run. That is the job of the front seven. Plus, if the defense gave up more yardage to the outside then inside, why is everyone all over our DTs? Spikes missed most of the year and Crowel got hurt. That didn't help either that both of our outside backers weren't 100% for most of the year.

realdealryan
02-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, he wants Champ Bailey money at the minimum. Not going to happen here. I just hope Lee can beat him when we play Washington. And speaking of next year's opponents...who is going to cover Burress when we play the Giants? McGee is a foot shorter. That was their one passing play this year- throw the jump ball to Plaxico.

OpIv37
02-15-2007, 09:37 PM
For the most part a CB isn't EXPECTED to stop the run. That is the job of the front seven. Plus, if the defense gave up more yardage to the outside then inside, why is everyone all over our DTs? Spikes missed most of the year and Crowel got hurt. That didn't help either that both of our outside backers weren't 100% for most of the year.

Mainly because in the cover 2 DT's are supposed to help the pass rush and they didn't do that very well either. Tim Anderson was stood up at the line on every pass play and pushed 8 yards back on every run. Tripplett was our big DT FA signing and it took him 10 games to get a sack and I think he finished the year with 3 or something pathetic like that.

Devin
02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, he wants Champ Bailey money at the minimum. Not going to happen here. I just hope Lee can beat him when we play Washington. And speaking of next year's opponents...who is going to cover Burress when we play the Giants? McGee is a foot shorter. That was their one passing play this year- throw the jump ball to Plaxico.

Pray Whitner can lay the lumber to him and cause fumbles?

Arm McGee with grenades?

I dont know lol.