X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Butler to play at G?

I know we're all pushing for a big FA signing, but at this point do you think they want to move him inside? He's got one hell of a mean streak, if I remember right ...

Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Re: Butler to play at G?

Bills head coach Dick Jauron has said many times that young players often make their greatest degree of improvement between year one and year two of their playing careers. The player poised to make the greatest leap in season two however, may surprise you. Buffalo's fifth-round pick Brad Butler didn't contribute to the

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

Competition never hurts even between young players.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

If this team wants to truly compete, this aint the time to be experimenting on the OL...

If there is one or even two guards we can afford to sign that would come here, SIGN THEM immediately.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

McNally clearly feels that Butler can play guard. Despite his height he is able to get low enough to get leverage on big fat DTs, and his height is supposed to be an advantage in pass blocking.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

great.. then he's good depth.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

the guy can play. I am very confident that he will be a starter at some point.

I was actually shocked that he didnt play at RT last year, until they disclosed that his shoulder was injured, which is the only reason he wasnt drafted until the 5th round.

If they really feel he can play guard, then i have no problem with it. The guy that he will remind you of in the end will be john runyun.

and yeah, he has a real mean streak, cash.. ask kiwanuka.. butler took a nasty cheap shot at him during a game 2 years ago.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• jamesiscool
                suck it fool.
                • Feb 2007

he'll play guard, he wont be starting this year. HOPEFULLY we'll sign a decent G in free agency or draft a diamond in the rough in day 2 who comes thru and plays like a "high charcter guy".

butler definitely has a future with the team tho, give it sometime and let his skills get a lil more polished and he's in.

James
                Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Throw Butler in the Guard mix. I already know Chris V, Reyes, Gandy and Preston cannot play the position well. This is such a huge hole which must be filled with 2 new starters during this off-season. I'll give him and Merz a chance.

Meanwhile, try and sign a Vet plus draft another on Day 1 of the draft.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    If this team wants to truly compete, this aint the time to be experimenting on the OL...

If there is one or even two guards we can afford to sign that would come here, SIGN THEM immediately.
                    Having the cap room is just part of it. Players still will need incentive. You think the Bills are the only team w/ cap room that will try to go after OL help? As much as I'd love to see the Bills end up w/ Steinbach, it just may not happen. I'd sure like to be wrong about that, though.

Comment

• eyedog
                      • Jul 2002

For some reason the Bills think highly of Gandy. I don't know why because every game I watch he gets killed. Cut bait with all of them, Gandy, Reyes, Vill., and even Preston. Go with Merz, Butler, draft pick{2nd or 3rd rd.}, free agent. It sure as hell can't be any worse.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by eyedog
                        For some reason the Bills think highly of Gandy. I don't know why because every game I watch he gets killed. Cut bait with all of them, Gandy, Reyes, Vill., and even Preston. Go with Merz, Butler, draft pick{2nd or 3rd rd.}, free agent. It sure as hell can't be any worse.
                        I don't get the Gandy love either. If Reyes and Villareal come back I'll be super pissed. Preston, Merz and Butler are all depth but I'm not seeing starter with any of them. We need to bring in 2 new guards. Period.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                          I don't get the Gandy love either. If Reyes and Villareal come back I'll be super pissed. Preston, Merz and Butler are all depth but I'm not seeing starter with any of them. We need to bring in 2 new guards. Period.
                          I don't get the Gandy hate. Gandy played well at LG, which was pretty obvious considering Willis pretty much ran solely to his left. And no, Willis didn't run around the tackle most of the time - which means some credit has to be given to Gandy for helping provide a hole. In fact, I remember one game where Gandy creates a HUGE hole for Willis, forcing his man WAY out of position! Is he perfect? No. Neither was Ruben Brown when he was here, and yet he went to the probowl many times. We also don't get many false starts from Gandy. He played well...McNally likes him as he is apparently the fastest guy on the team - faster than Peters.

Butler bares keeping an eye on . If he didn't win the RT position b'cse he was still recovering from his shoulder - and he and Pennington are in hot pursuit of grabbing the starting position, then good luck to both of them. That's actually the best thing that can happen - who better to push them to get to the next level than their own competitiveness? If Butler is good enough to also be considered for Guard, so much the better. However, I would think he needs to gain a few more lbs before that might happen...

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Why doesn't anyone have any faith in our last draft class. You don't become a star overnight.

Comment

• R. Rich
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by eyedog

He's actually a decent LG (not a world beater, but adequate). The problems were w/ him @ LT, where he was totally overmatched. It also doesn't help playing next to a technically sound, yet physically lacking center like Fowler. Had we used a first round pick on a guy like Nick Mangold last year (I think he was available w/ our 2nd pick, but I'm not 100% sure), who has good skills and also has the toughness and mean streak Fowler lacks, I think you'd see better results from the OL. Then again, there's still that gaping hole @ RG since Villarrial is definitely on the down side of his career and needs to be upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                              X