PDA

View Full Version : Training for the combine?

OpIv37
02-16-2007, 09:01 AM
ESPN did a segment this morning on Paul Poslznuzknlnski practicing the 40 and other combine events. In a way, this makes sense because NFL scouts use combine performance as a signficant factor in who they draft.

On the other hand, it feels like the sports equivalent of teaching to the test. Anyone who has ever taken the SAT or a NYS Regents exam knows what I'm talking about- you learn how to take the test without really learning any new information that helps outside of the test-taking arena.

While the combine drills are related to NFL skills and on-field performance, good combine scores don't always make good NFL players. Example: Antonio Brown had a lightning fast 40 time, but couldn't make cuts or control his speed on the football field. It's like Plato's Cave- the combine projects the image of the ability to play football but doesn't prove the ability to play football.

BTW this isn't a personal knock on Paul Posluznkniewiczski- it's more a commentary on putting too much stock in a player's combine performance.

Devin
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Paul Poslznuzknlnski
Paul Posluznkniewiczskie

:rofl:

R. Rich
02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
ESPN did a segment this morning on Paul Poslznuzknlnski practicing the 40 and other combine events. In a way, this makes sense because NFL scouts use combine performance as a signficant factor in who they draft.

On the other hand, it feels like the sports equivalent of teaching to the test. Anyone who has ever taken the SAT or a NYS Regents exam knows what I'm talking about- you learn how to take the test without really learning any new information that helps outside of the test-taking arena.

While the combine drills are related to NFL skills and on-field performance, good combine scores don't always make good NFL players. Example: Antonio Brown had a lightning fast 40 time, but couldn't make cuts or control his speed on the football field. It's like Plato's Cave- the combine projects the image of the ability to play football but doesn't prove the ability to play football.

BTW this isn't a personal knock on Paul Posluznkniewiczski- it's more a commentary on putting too much stock in a player's combine performance.

Oh no, it's not a knock @ all, Bryan. You just can't spell, I suppose.

LtFinFan66
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
:rofl:

OpIv37
02-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh no, it's not a knock @ all, Bryan. You just can't spell, I suppose.

It's not my fault that the man needs to buy a vowel.

R. Rich
02-16-2007, 12:58 PM
It's not my fault that the man needs to buy a vowel.

I hope he can afford one.

OpIv37
02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
I hope he can afford one.

right now I bet he can't, but in a few months he'll have his signing bonus and he'll be able to afford whatever he wants.