• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Training for the combine?

ESPN did a segment this morning on Paul Poslznuzknlnski practicing the 40 and other combine events. In a way, this makes sense because NFL scouts use combine performance as a signficant factor in who they draft.

On the other hand, it feels like the sports equivalent of teaching to the test. Anyone who has ever taken the SAT or a NYS Regents exam knows what I'm talking about- you learn how to take the test without really learning any new information that helps outside of the test-taking arena.

While the combine drills are related to NFL skills and on-field performance, good combine scores don't always make good NFL players. Example: Antonio Brown had a lightning fast 40 time, but couldn't make cuts or control his speed on the football field. It's like Plato's Cave- the combine projects the image of the ability to play football but doesn't prove the ability to play football.

BTW this isn't a personal knock on Paul Posluznkniewiczski- it's more a commentary on putting too much stock in a player's combine performance.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: Training for the combine?

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Paul Poslznuzknlnski
    Paul Posluznkniewiczskie
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• R. Rich
      • Apr 2003

ESPN did a segment this morning on Paul Poslznuzknlnski practicing the 40 and other combine events. In a way, this makes sense because NFL scouts use combine performance as a signficant factor in who they draft.

On the other hand, it feels like the sports equivalent of teaching to the test. Anyone who has ever taken the SAT or a NYS Regents exam knows what I'm talking about- you learn how to take the test without really learning any new information that helps outside of the test-taking arena.

While the combine drills are related to NFL skills and on-field performance, good combine scores don't always make good NFL players. Example: Antonio Brown had a lightning fast 40 time, but couldn't make cuts or control his speed on the football field. It's like Plato's Cave- the combine projects the image of the ability to play football but doesn't prove the ability to play football.

BTW this isn't a personal knock on Paul Posluznkniewiczski- it's more a commentary on putting too much stock in a player's combine performance.
      Oh no, it's not a knock @ all, Bryan. You just can't spell, I suppose.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
        • Mar 2005

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by R. Rich
          Oh no, it's not a knock @ all, Bryan. You just can't spell, I suppose.
          It's not my fault that the man needs to buy a vowel.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• R. Rich
            • Apr 2003

It's not my fault that the man needs to buy a vowel.
            I hope he can afford one.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by R. Rich
              I hope he can afford one.
              right now I bet he can't, but in a few months he'll have his signing bonus and he'll be able to afford whatever he wants.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
              X