Did Marv actually say he was HAPPY with Reed, Denney and Royal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Did Marv actually say he was HAPPY with Reed, Denney and Royal?

I've made the point several times on here that you can't read too much into what coaches and GM's tell the media. They're trying to balance honesty with the need to keep the team together and keep the fans interested, so they can't always say what they really feel. Obviously, if there is any chance whatsoever of the Bills keeping a player, Marv isn't going to openly bash them to the media. I wouldn't mind seeing upgrades to all 3 of these guys, but I fully understand that only so much can be done in one off-season. The team was 7-9 and a lot of guys underperformed- you can't replace all of them.

That being said, there are better ways to phrase these things than saying you're "happy" with the mediocrity that these guys have shown. I would have preferred to hear him say something like "these guys have shown some promise and we fully expect them to improve in 2007". But saying he's happy with mediocrity and calling Royal a "passing threat" just makes him sound ridiculous.

Also, I'm sick of this damn Josh Reed nonsense. Every year for the past 5 years, we hear about how the guy's about to have his breakout season, and every year it never happens. How many chances do we have to give the guy before we realize he's not going to live up to his potential? Damn.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Re: Did Marv actually say he was HAPPY with Reed, Denney and Royal?

Originally posted by OpIv37
    I've made the point several times on here that you can't read too much into what coaches and GM's tell the media. They're trying to balance honesty with the need to keep the team together and keep the fans interested, so they can't always say what they really feel. Obviously, if there is any chance whatsoever of the Bills keeping a player, Marv isn't going to openly bash them to the media. I wouldn't mind seeing upgrades to all 3 of these guys, but I fully understand that only so much can be done in one off-season. The team was 7-9 and a lot of guys underperformed- you can't replace all of them.

That being said, there are better ways to phrase these things than saying you're "happy" with the mediocrity that these guys have shown. I would have preferred to hear him say something like "these guys have shown some promise and we fully expect them to improve in 2007". But saying he's happy with mediocrity and calling Royal a "passing threat" just makes him sound ridiculous.

Also, I'm sick of this damn Josh Reed nonsense. Every year for the past 5 years, we hear about how the guy's about to have his breakout season, and every year it never happens. How many chances do we have to give the guy before we realize he's not going to live up to his potential? Damn.
    I have to agree there. Reed is a mediocre player and has been consistently mediocre throughout his whole time here. How much longer do we keep saying let's give him one more year??? That being said, I think we take a 2.9 Million cap hit if we dump him. I can't believe he was signed thru 2009. I hated that signing when it happened and I still hate it!!!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

1) Royal was a good signing and did what he was supposed to do which was to help our ****ty OL.

2) Reed stepped up in 2005 and did okay in 2006. Sorry guys but it's not like Price, Parrish, or Davis has done much better.

3) The Denney love is pretty much preparing us for the Kelsay departure or preparing Kelsay for a very small contract.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        1) Royal was a good signing and did what he was supposed to do which was to help our ****ty OL.

2) Reed stepped up in 2005 and did okay in 2006. Sorry guys but it's not like Price, Parrish, or Davis has done much better.

3) The Denney love is pretty much preparing us for the Kelsay departure or preparing Kelsay for a very small contract.
        1. Yeah, Royal was a great signing. He blew the Tennesee game because he couldn't get his feet down on what should've been an easy TD. His blocking was overated, if I recall it was Royal that got abused by Dwight Freeney late in the Indy game that probably costed Lindell a potential game winning FG. Lets not forget the back-breaking holding call against NE not to mention a few other critical penalities. ya, great signing.. He was NO better than Campbell, or even Tim Euhus.

2. Josh Reed is symbolic of what this team has been about seven years running. Mediocre. And you are right, Parrish, Davis or Price didn't do much better.. Sadly, Levy stated he was happy with our WR corp and indicated we won't be looking at that position.

3. Denney played up to his contract last year, I'll give him that. Unforunately, his salary is for $2.9 million this year, ridiculous for a guy who's not good enough, or at least shouldn't be starting. (and for the record, I dont want kelsay back either- this is the spot where I draft rookie in round one)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE

1) how exactly did Royal help our OL? For the first half of the year we couldn't protect JP and the running game sucked for most of the season. The penalties and drops (particularly the one that would have beat Tenn) completely counteract whatever minimal positive impact he had on the OL.

2) Reed has yet to emerge as a consistent threat as a #2 receiver. He's had his moments, but he's a #3 possession receiver at best.

3) we really need help on the DL. The only way Denney will be effective is if our DT's can actually penetrate and be more disruptive.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
            • Feb 2005

OpIv37, and Patmoran2006, i gotta agree 100%

Josh Reed symbolizes out Owner being happy with mediocracy, Josh Reed is awful, he cant get open he does make a play here or there but 2 tds, come on
            Denney what did he do after the first 3 games of the season other than be insignifcant and overratted, he is a bust of a 2nd round pick just like Josh Reed, to think the players we could have had with those ****ing picks

Robert Royal is way to inconsistent, drops balls takes penalties, but i do like him he trys, but a number 2 he should be not a number one, OVERPAID,

i say this over and over again, we have to stop paying guys FA from our team that contributed to losing seasons and most recently 7-9 and pass these guys off as starters,

We need to upgrade out talents
            argue if u want but proof is in our overall record for the last 7 years

again neg away
            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

1) I did not say that Royal was Antonio Gates. We brought him to help in pass protection, which he did do well. Yes, the catch against TN was inexcusble, but Marv even said that he needs to be catching the ball more. He doesn't make that mistake when he has less blocking assignment and more attempts.

2) Reed was the only receiver catching balls in 2005. Hell, he was the only one not *****ing i.e. Moulds. He is mediocre but until the Bills bring someone else in to challenge him I wouldn't be cutting him before Price or Davis.

3) Denney sucks. I hate Kelsay and Denney. I hate Denney and Kelsay. I hate them on a boat. I hate them with a goat. I hate them in a car. I hate them in a bar.....I was just saying that Kelsay isn't coming back.

Comment

• BillsNick
                • Jul 2003

Man, I disagree.

I think Josh Reed was an asset this year. When you got a guy like Lee Evans, it's hard to stand out, but he made some clutch catches this year. I like him for what he is, but is nowhere near as bad as you guys are all making him out to be.

Royal really came on towards the end of the year, and I like what I see so far. He's our best TE. One bad play (didn't drag feet) and you guys label him for it. So what. He really helped JP out when he started to emerge as a receiving threat.

Denney had a pretty good year as well. He had some big plays that helped the team, and I don't why you guys are all hating on him too. Let's look at him for what he is. A valuable sub. That's what he is. He's not Phil Hanson, and He's not Aaron Schoebel, but then again, not too many DE's like those two.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsNick
                  Man, I disagree.

I think Josh Reed was an asset this year. When you got a guy like Lee Evans, it's hard to stand out, but he made some clutch catches this year. I like him for what he is, but is nowhere near as bad as you guys are all making him out to be.

Royal really came on towards the end of the year, and I like what I see so far. He's our best TE. One bad play (didn't drag feet) and you guys label him for it. So what. He really helped JP out when he started to emerge as a receiving threat.

Denney had a pretty good year as well. He had some big plays that helped the team, and I don't why you guys are all hating on him too. Let's look at him for what he is. A valuable sub. That's what he is. He's not Phil Hanson, and He's not Aaron Schoebel, but then again, not too many DE's like those two.
                  Whoa, back way up here.

How quickly we forget. Josh Reed has his moments, but he also disappears for GAMES at a time. And every time it looks like he's gotten over the dropsies, he'll drop a 3rd down pass. He's simply not good enough to draw attention away from Evans. Other teams don't take him seriously, as well they shouldn't.

Royal had a LOT more than one bad play. He had SEVERAL 3rd down drops and ill-timed penalties. It was a pattern that went on for the WHOLE season, not just one play. And that one play DIRECTLY cost us a victory, so it rightfully should get more emphasis anyway.

Denney is a decent sub- I will not argue that. But if we don't retain Kelsay, he's a starter, and that's downright scary. It means Schobel is the only pass rush threat we have, and that can be neutralized with a double team when you don't have to worry about anyone else.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

I think Reed did a excellent job in 2006.
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
                      did you actually WATCH the Bills games?

I don't know what's with some people on here- a guy makes a good play or has a good game, and everyone forgets several weeks of consistent sucking.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
                        • Feb 2005

i just gotta say WOW
                        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7

You must really hit that bottle right before a game. I'm not as down on Royal and Denney as I am on Reed. Reed's few moments cannot make up for his disappearances. He does not have enough speed to get away from defenders. Parrish himself has been a disappointment also, but atleast his punt returns have been decent.
                          I seriously hope Wilson knocks somebody out. It's time to have a WR besides Evans that catches balls and draws some attention to themselves from opposing defenses...

Comment

• BillsNick
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Parrish himself has been a disappointment also, but atleast his punt returns have been decent.
                            A disappointment?!?! You've got to be kidding.

Comment

• BillsNick
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              did you actually WATCH the Bills games?

I don't know what's with some people on here- a guy makes a good play or has a good game, and everyone forgets several weeks of consistent sucking.
                              I watched every game, and I just don't agree with you. I'm not saying he was outstanding. But I am saying that he was an asset to our offense this year. If I remember right, our entire team sucked for several weeks in a row.

Comment

Working...
                              X