• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I would now tag Fletcher

First of all, you have the room to do it, and Fletcher cant really do anything about it, other than to hold out..

Secondly, there isnt much in FA that would be available to take his place. Briggs and Thomas will probably get tagged and even if they dont, there aint no way in hell WIlson will pay for one of them. Cato June would be a good fit here, but I dont see Wilson paying for him either. There's no other LB's out there on Fletcher's level.

Third, Some of you guys are clowns, Fletcher has been one of the most under-appreciated players in the entire league and he's one of the better LB's to ever play in Buffalo. The complaint is he doesnt make tackles behind the line. Well duh of course not!! When you have no DT's to tie up blockers they're going to get to you on every play. OH ya, he still managed four interceptions and two TD's this season. He almost single-handedly beat GB this year.

There is NO WAY our LB corp is better with Crowell in the middle surrounded by Spikes and Ellison (or a rookie)

Tie him up for a year, draft a MLB this year and develop him, or take your chances in FA this year.

But considering the lack of vets on our defense and having the cap room with no other LB we would sign, I say that he should just get tagged for this season..

Put it this way, I'd rather spend $7 million and tag him than spend $2.5 million each on three more "role" (cough) players.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: I would now tag Fletcher

Originally posted by patmoran2006
    First of all, you have the room to do it, and Fletcher cant really do anything about it, other than to hold out..

Secondly, there isnt much in FA that would be available to take his place. Briggs and Thomas will probably get tagged and even if they dont, there aint no way in hell WIlson will pay for one of them. Cato June would be a good fit here, but I dont see Wilson paying for him either. There's no other LB's out there on Fletcher's level.

Third, Some of you guys are clowns, Fletcher has been one of the most under-appreciated players in the entire league and he's one of the better LB's to ever play in Buffalo. The complaint is he doesnt make tackles behind the line. Well duh of course not!! When you have no DT's to tie up blockers they're going to get to you on every play. OH ya, he still managed four interceptions and two TD's this season. He almost single-handedly beat GB this year.

There is NO WAY our LB corp is better with Crowell in the middle surrounded by Spikes and Ellison (or a rookie)

Tie him up for a year, draft a MLB this year and develop him, or take your chances in FA this year.

But considering the lack of vets on our defense and having the cap room with no other LB we would sign, I say that he should just get tagged for this season..

Put it this way, I'd rather spend $7 million and tag him than spend $2.5 million each on three more "role" (cough) players.
    I thought LB's were less?

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I think they are around 7 mill.. could be wrong though..

Regardless, we aint getting nobody of signifance otherwise.. So take your pick.. Fletcher or Ellison (or rookie)

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

You've got to be kidding me.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Kidding how?

Franchise label is for one year.. We aint gonna sign a valuable LB in free agency that was made obvious.

So are you TELLING ME THAT moving Crowell to the middle and starting Ellison with Spikes makes this a BETTER DEFENSE??

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Tagging Fletcher would validate Marvs' senility.

No way in hell.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
              • Mar 2003

Probably the BEST post I have read recently. I completely agree with drafting a day 1 MLB, but leaving Fletch in the middle for one more year in order to groom our prospect.
              "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Kidding how?

Franchise label is for one year.. We aint gonna sign a valuable LB in free agency that was made obvious.

So are you TELLING ME THAT moving Crowell to the middle and starting Ellison with Spikes makes this a BETTER DEFENSE??
                I don't think that it makes us better, but neither does keeping the same guy we had last year who's now a year older and disgruntled cuz we franchised him.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Fletcher isn't that good.

You don't move ahead by paying a mediocre player top 3 salary.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Fletcher is not a top 5 MLB, especially in this scheme.

Why take up that much money on a guy that was a part of the 30th ranked run defense?
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Yeah, let's pay 7 million to a LB who had, what, 2 tackles behind the LOS?

Let's be reasonable. He's worth 3-4 per season, max. Anything more, let someone else over spend.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

1- its a one year deal.
                        2- It sure became obvious today we'll have PLENTYYYY of cap room left.
                        3- He's not a top five LB in this league, but Ellison isnt a top 200 LB in this league.

I'll take Fletcher...

Now if for two seconds I thought we'd go out and sign a good LB in FA, id say the hell with Fletcher.. but it aint gonna happen.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

tagging Fletch imo is a mistake, what good does it do for us?
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Not much.. but he's better than Ellison.

Unless we're getting ready to concede YET ANOTHER season in February..

Preferably, I let Fletch walk and i use one of my two "Big" FA signings (guard the other) to get a guy like Cato June, who surely indy cant afford to keep..

but we both know Wilson aint gonna pay for him or anybody like him.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Not much.. but he's better than Ellison.

Unless we're getting ready to concede YET ANOTHER season in February..

Preferably, I let Fletch walk and i use one of my two "Big" FA signings (guard the other) to get a guy like Cato June, who surely indy cant afford to keep..

but we both know Wilson aint gonna pay for him or anybody like him.
                              OK Ice. That drunk coach threaten to kick your ass lately?

Comment

Working...
                              X