PDA

View Full Version : My Off-Season Blueprint

patmoran2006
02-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Instead of *****ing about everything Levy said today.. Or having to hear a million things.. I wanted to outline what I FEEL like (IMO) would be the perfect blueprint for this offseason.

I feel that it fair and reasonable: I didnt include FA's like Briggs, Steinbach, Samuels or Thomas either.

With the third most cap room in the league, and a desire to make sure you dont approach going near the cap..

This is my personal blueprint.

QB: Not a need. Losman is the clear #1 and Nall will be the #2. They may find someone at league minimum to compete for 3rd spot but that's it.

RB: I dont see a move in FA with RB. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a RB taken in the draft, in the earlier rounds if A-Train isnt resigned for some reason.

WR: I think the team would like to pick up a WR in FA, but due to Marv's bad decisions last year at this spot it's not going to happen. Price and Reed were both given #2 WR contracts and neither are a legit #2. If both were cut they'd be eating a few million in cap space. With parrish on board as well, I dont think Buffalo will sign any WR. Possibly mid rounds in the draft. Regardless of how I feel about our WR corp, there are more important things to spend Wilson's stingy money on.

TE: There are FOUR positions I'd really like to see addressed in FA.. This is one of them. Eric JOhnson or Daniel Graham would be a tremendous asset to Losman and the offense in particular. I don't care what anybody says, Robert Royal is a scrub and a second tight end at best. There is a reason even the wild-spending SKins let him walk last year. Can you imagine how much better Losman would be with a reliable target going over the middle? Spring at this spot, Marv.

T: While I think Pennington is far from a lock to be a long-term good pro, there isn't anybody in FA worth the money to sign. Leonard Davis is overated and will be overpaid. Unless Levy drafts Levi Brown with the 12th pick, expect a battle between Pennington and Butler for the starting spot.

G: BY FAR to me the most important position in FA. While Steinbach would be the perfect signing, it's not going to happen. Derrick Dockery or Kris Dielman could possibly be had. I think we REALLY need one of them. NOTHING is more important to this team than being able to start running the ball and protecting Losman better up the middle. This spot is WORTH the money. If they don't resign Gandy to play the other guard spot, they need to get two guards. I expect Gandy to be back, which is fine as long as Dockery or Dielman are signed. Please don't start Merz or Butler alongside Pennington on the right. Losman will get killed.

C: We're set with Fowler, and Preston backing him up.

DE: I really hope we dont make any move here, and that includes resigning Kelsay. I dont like him, as he's entirely one dimensional. He's not much better than Hargrove and Denney. In fact, this is the spot where im PRAYING the Bills use their first pick on; either charles johnson or Carriker. Either would be a HUGE long term upgrade.

DT: If they make any move, it should just be for a rotational fourth tackle. I think with more experience, Kyle Williams, McCargo and Tripplett will do a good job.

LB: This is the second most important spot to me. They're losing Fletcher. Marv is enamored with Indy and Polian. Cato June is the PERFECT fit for this defense. He's athletic as hell, and he knows the system real well already. A June/Crowell/Spikes combo would be extremely formidable. If something happened to Spikes, Ellison is a solid fill in.

CB: Nick Harper, Colts. A mid-level guy would cost some bucks, but not in the same league as Clements. He's more than adequate to play in this cover two,and Youboty can move into the nickel spot from day one and continue to improve.

S: All set.. We got a thousand safeties.

Resign: Shelton, Gandy, Kiwi Thomas, A Train, Hargrove, Andre Davis
Don't: Clements, Fletcher, Kelsay, Shaud Williams, Greer, Tim Anderson

SUMMARY: I have four important FA's targeted.. Dockery/DIelman--- June--- Graham/Johnson--- Harper.
Also, a third string QB and a 3rd or 4th DT- which would be cheap. That's 6 total FA's.

I dont think that's breaking the bank, even by Wilson's standards.
I feel like with these moves, plus another strong draft this team could step in right NOW and contend.

Yasgur's Farm
02-16-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm with you almost 100%...

1) I'll take Kelsay back.
2) I'd rather add a 3rd Thomas to the team at ILB.

You're spot on with our priorities... Signing Gandy and another competent G is essential. An additional 3rd round G will nail it.

Bmax
02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Shelton shouldn 't be back at his age....Plenty of FB out there...

What about leonard in rd 3 .....

Low level fb will be signed

With Holcomb likely cut a 7th rd pick on qb would be good...

Spikes leaving might happen then June would be great ...I would rather take Posluszny then lose spoikes and sign june...

BMAX

Talk0fNewYork
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Agree with everything xcept Shelton, and TE. With Royal, Everett, and Cieslak we're set.

BILLSROCK1212
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Agree with everything xcept Shelton, and TE. With Royal, Everett, and Cieslak we're set.
i like Cieslak but id like someone else like Graham or Johnson....at FB there are plenty fo options this offseason....if Jim Kleinsasser gets cut i hope that we pick him up.....patmoran this was the only bright spot to my day talking about the Bills other than that i got a Bills hat but it doesnt really fit (lol)

patmoran2006
02-17-2007, 06:29 AM
ya come to think of it, all you guys are right about Shelton

Dozerdog
02-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Hey Pat- how did last year's plan work out?

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-17-2007, 09:08 AM
I agree with everything you said, but I'm not sure about Kelsay yet I cant make up my mind. I would love to see Hargrove back in Buffalo because he was an animal. I love his intensity and pashion for the game, and it might rub off onto the younger guys.

patmoran2006
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Pat- how did last year's plan work out?
Not so well.

DraftBoy
02-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Well this is only half an offseason plan, do you have any ideas for the rest of the offseason?

patmoran2006
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Well this is only half an offseason plan, do you have any ideas for the rest of the offseason?

Make sure that

1- Ellison isnt starting at OLB
2- Youboty isnt starting at CB
3- Tim Anderson isnt wearing a Bills uniform
4- merz, preston, villarrial or Butler are not starting at RG

DraftBoy
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Make sure that

1-Why not he was one of the top rookie LB's and has the speed that is ideal for the OLB in this system

2-Why not, this is why he was drafted? Why would we waste futile cap space to sign a stop gap player, or why would draft a replacement when we did last year?

3-AGREED!!

4-Id like to see what Butler has at OG before completely writing him off, maybe he'll be a Jason Peters type with a posistion switch. We dont know.

patmoran2006
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
1 & 2 could definitely be starters in the future, but I dont think either is ready yet and nobody in their right mind is going to tell me this defense is better with Ellison and Youboty than Fletcher and Clements.. Im tired of rebuilding and having to regress to do it. June and Harper are good players that won't be overly ridicuolus salaries.. Fair trade IMO

Anderson blows.. and Butler is a project that could work out long term, see Ellison and Youboty for my opinions on him.

DraftBoy
02-17-2007, 10:17 AM
1 & 2 could definitely be starters in the future, but I dont think either is ready yet and nobody in their right mind is going to tell me this defense is better with Ellison and Youboty than Fletcher and Clements.. Im tired of rebuilding and having to regress to do it. June and Harper are good players that won't be overly ridicuolus salaries.. Fair trade IMO

Anderson blows.. and Butler is a project that could work out long term, see Ellison and Youboty for my opinions on him.

See this is where I disagree IF we sign an OLB and a CB its not going to be June or Harper, we have drafted the guys that will be the starters there (your own words) so we would only sign stop gap guys to fill the position for a year or two, something neither June or Harper is going to want to do. Id rather keep the money and take my lumps with our young D this year, then throw money on a stop gap D.

SABURZFAN
02-17-2007, 10:23 AM

i'm starting to wonder if everett even makes the team in 07.

Devin
02-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Make sure that

1. k
2. still with ya
3. agreed
4. LIES! Merz for OG in 07!

RedEyE
02-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Instead of *****ing about everything Levy said today.. Or having to hear a million things.. I wanted to outline what I FEEL like (IMO) would be the perfect blueprint for this offseason.

I feel that it fair and reasonable: I didnt include FA's like Briggs, Steinbach, Samuels or Thomas either.

With the third most cap room in the league, and a desire to make sure you dont approach going near the cap..

QB: Not a need. Losman is the clear #1 and Nall will be the #2. They may find someone at league minimum to compete for 3rd spot but that's it.

RB: I dont see a move in FA with RB. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a RB taken in the draft, in the earlier rounds if A-Train isnt resigned for some reason.

WR: I think the team would like to pick up a WR in FA, but due to Marv's bad decisions last year at this spot it's not going to happen. Price and Reed were both given #2 WR contracts and neither are a legit #2. If both were cut they'd be eating a few million in cap space. With parrish on board as well, I dont think Buffalo will sign any WR. Possibly mid rounds in the draft. Regardless of how I feel about our WR corp, there are more important things to spend Wilson's stingy money on.

TE: There are FOUR positions I'd really like to see addressed in FA.. This is one of them. Eric JOhnson or Daniel Graham would be a tremendous asset to Losman and the offense in particular. I don't care what anybody says, Robert Royal is a scrub and a second tight end at best. There is a reason even the wild-spending SKins let him walk last year. Can you imagine how much better Losman would be with a reliable target going over the middle? Spring at this spot, Marv.

T: While I think Pennington is far from a lock to be a long-term good pro, there isn't anybody in FA worth the money to sign. Leonard Davis is overated and will be overpaid. Unless Levy drafts Levi Brown with the 12th pick, expect a battle between Pennington and Butler for the starting spot.

G: BY FAR to me the most important position in FA. While Steinbach would be the perfect signing, it's not going to happen. Derrick Dockery or Kris Dielman could possibly be had. I think we REALLY need one of them. NOTHING is more important to this team than being able to start running the ball and protecting Losman better up the middle. This spot is WORTH the money. If they don't resign Gandy to play the other guard spot, they need to get two guards. I expect Gandy to be back, which is fine as long as Dockery or Dielman are signed. Please don't start Merz or Butler alongside Pennington on the right. Losman will get killed.

DE: I really hope we dont make any move here, and that includes resigning Kelsay. I dont like him, as he's entirely one dimensional. He's not much better than Hargrove and Denney. In fact, this is the spot where im PRAYING the Bills use their first pick on; either charles johnson or Carriker. Either would be a HUGE long term upgrade.

DT: If they make any move, it should just be for a rotational fourth tackle. I think with more experience, Kyle Williams, McCargo and Tripplett will do a good job.

LB: This is the second most important spot to me. They're losing Fletcher. Marv is enamored with Indy and Polian. Cato June is the PERFECT fit for this defense. He's athletic as hell, and he knows the system real well already. A June/Crowell/Spikes combo would be extremely formidable. If something happened to Spikes, Ellison is a solid fill in.

CB: Nick Harper, Colts. A mid-level guy would cost some bucks, but not in the same league as Clements. He's more than adequate to play in this cover two,and Youboty can move into the nickel spot from day one and continue to improve.

SUMMARY: I have four important FA's targeted.. Dockery/DIelman--- June--- Graham/Johnson--- Harper.
Also, a third string QB and a 3rd or 4th DT- which would be cheap. That's 6 total FA's.

I feel like with these moves, plus another strong draft this team could step in right NOW and contend.

First off, nice post. While I may not agree with you on all aspects of your opinions and decisions, I do like the format and the info provided. With that being said....here's my highly opinionated blueprint

QB:Losman is the clear number one, and while it remains unclear whether or not Holcomb will be back next season, I think the Bills might serioulsy look into a mid round QB (4th, 5th, or 6th) to prepare for an era without Holcomb. Maybe they'll luck out and find a diamond in the rough, but really all we need is someone that can fill some shoes once in a while when called upon.

RB: I could see the Bills bringing Damien Rhodes or Ahmen Green. or both for a look, and to call McGahee's bluff. Basically, send a message that says we aren't going to pay high dollar for mediocrity. I really hope the Bills tell McGahee, "Show up this year, and then we'll talk money. Not a minute before".

WR: I'm comfortable moving forward with the receiving corp the Bills currently have. My only concern is keeping a big physical receiver like Aiken on the roster for nothing more than practice and camp fodder. The guy has been useless for this team his entire career. The rest of the squad, minus Wilson and Evans, are under 6'. They're quick and work well on slants and outs, but really Price is the only downfield threat beside Evans. Still, I think the Billscan get by here, and will most likely do so.

TE: I'd love to see Graham or Johnson in for this position as well. I can't say that the Bills would or would not be interested. Cieslak really improved the passing game last season. Royal seems to be a decent blocker. I think Everett might be heading out.

T: "While I think Pennington is far from a lock to be a long-term good pro, there isn't anybody in FA worth the money to sign. Leonard Davis is overated and will be overpaid. Unless Levy drafts Levi Brown with the 12th pick, expect a battle between Pennington and Butler for the starting spot." - I agree with this for the most part.

G: "BY FAR to me the most important position in FA. While Steinbach would be the perfect signing, it's not going to happen. Derrick Dockery or Kris Dielman could possibly be had. I think we REALLY need one of them. NOTHING is more important to this team than being able to start running the ball and protecting Losman better up the middle. This spot is WORTH the money. If they don't resign Gandy to play the other guard spot, they need to get two guards. I expect Gandy to be back, which is fine as long as Dockery or Dielman are signed. Please don't start Merz or Butler alongside Pennington on the right. Losman will get killed." - Well stated. Let us not forget the two starting OGs the Colts might be losing as well. If they can protect Peyton Manning and solidify the pocket, I expect they would fit in nicely in Buffalo's offense. A good G - or 2 - would also help fortify the running game.

C: "We're set with Fowler, and Preston backing him up." - Agreed

DE: Besides OG, this is where I'd like to see the Bills spend some money in FA. Reason being, is that Nate is gone, out the door, capute... if the Bills end up starting Youboty and McGee, they're going to need some relief and an awesome pass rush is just what the doctor ordered. I like Patrick Kerney here, and if he becomes available, then the Bills should bring him in for a look and a physical.

DT: "If they make any move, it should just be for a rotational fourth tackle. I think with more experience, Kyle Williams, McCargo and Tripplett will do a good job." - Again, agreed. There isn't anything in the draft or FA that I think the Bills should look at, or have a chance in hell at signing (see Ian Scott)

LB: I think the Bills might draft a LB in the first round here, depending on how things fall in the first 10 picks, but I'm not putting money on it. My money is on CB. Anyway, I see the Bills going into the season with the LBs they currently have on the roster...that is with or without London Baker-Fletcher.

CB: I think this is the position the Bills address in the 1st round of the draft. Leon Hall would be nice here, but he'll be difficult to obtain at 12. No matter, there are at least 2 other CBs in the 1st round that could fill the gap nicely.

S: "All set.. We got a thousand safeties." - Yep, that about says it.

FB: Shelton just isn't getting it done. The Bills need some size at FB as well as some on that can block. Shelton can't even keep the snap count in his head and he sits right next to the QB in formation and huddle.

Kerr
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Not bad pat, but I don't like nall at #2. If damon huard comes cheap, i'd rather have him.

I can see a rb being drafted to backup Willis.

I'm afraid the only time Wr will be addressed will be in the draft. I'm hoping they can draft another sleeper like Marques Colston.

I'd like to see an improvement at TE, but they may pass thinking Royal and the other guys are good enough. Surprisingly, Marv may be temped to draft on the top 2 TE's if he's still around in the 2nd.

You're right about Pennington. They may see him as lock at RT, unless they draft Levi Brown. I'd like to see what Butler can do though.

I completely agree with you on G being the top priority to spend the most on. The line strugged the most up the middle. Getting a guy like Dielman would be huge. I would sign Gandy for depth only seeing as how he can play the tackle spot if needed.

At center I think they are content.

At DE, I would not be upset if they drafted a defensive end with their 1st pick. A guy like Spencer or someone else would compete with Hargrove for the starting LE spot.

At DT, I think the 2nd highest priority is getting someone to fill the rotation. A free agent or a rookie. I hope they target Brandon Mebane, but i'd prefer they get a veteran who could contribute right away.

At linebacker, it all depends on what they do with Spikes. I don't think they want to leave the linebacker core too young and inexperienced so a veteran would definitely be there.

At corner, I like harper as an option, but let's be real, youbouty while not likely ready was drafted to be a starter someday. I think a stopgap would be ideal and harper is not a stopgap. I like someone like Tory James to fill that hole for now.