X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clumping platelets
    • Jun 2024

Cash to the Cap really means....

Instead of using signing bonuses to sign players, the Bills will use roster bonuses and incentives.....signing bonuses are amortized (prorated) over X number of years the player is signed for (6 yr max for players signed in 2007). Roster bonuses fully count in the year they are to be paid......incentives include LTBE or NLTBE. My cap source said that the Bills were among the leaders in using NLTBE's in 2006

What this means is that the Bills will be very particular in FA because $30 million in cap space doesn't last long when using roster bonuses/incentives after also including with the salaries.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Cash to the Cap really means....

With the way bonuses are tiered these days, I think it's all semantics anyhow. Champ Bailey got $18M in bonuses, but only got $6M at signing and gets the other $12M guaranteed, either as a buyout or if he's still on the roster to collect it in the payout years. The Bills should do something similar, because that way they can afford a big ticket FA or two.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

No it means Ralph is money hungry, Levy is senile and the team is being sold /sarcasm off

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
        Instead of using signing bonuses to sign players, the Bills will use roster bonuses and incentives.....signing bonuses are amortized (prorated) over X number of years the player is signed for (6 yr max for players signed in 2007). Roster bonuses fully count in the year they are to be paid......incentives include LTBE or NLTBE. My cap source said that the Bills were among the leaders in using NLTBE's in 2006

What this means is that the Bills will be very particular in FA because $30 million in cap space doesn't last long when using roster bonuses/incentives after also including with the salaries.
        I've been saying this since noon Friday...people don't seem to be able to read.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by Ebenezer
          I've been saying this since noon Friday...people don't seem to be able to read.
          I said it first after brunch

Comment

• jmb1099
            • Sep 2004

I might be among the few, but I thought Levy's conference was:
            1) A general state of affairs (which many of us thought it would be)
            2) encouraging that we will spend our cap money
            3) encouraging that they are at least making an effort to go after Clements

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Big name FA signings don't jibe with that philosophy....and that's OK with me.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

People panic over the dumbest things around here

Comment

• cordog
                  eat, drink, and be merry
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                  People panic over the dumbest things around here

This is calm compared to those a holes on WGR.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

It means the Bills won't spend what they could spend, but roster bonuses become the no brainer choice on how to do it. It doesn't handcuff the Bills to amortized signing bonus obligations in future years.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• socalfan
                      Old Fogey from Cali
                      • Feb 2003

Even using yearly roster bonuses and incentives, a player could still give up a big payday. A guy that gets a 20million bonus for signing a contract would not be a possibility for the Bills. Over time this type of signing bonus will become more frequent, and it will always be the preference of a player to get a lump sum rather than an equivalent amount spread over several years.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

"Signing to the cap" is grandpa Wilson tellin Marv to spend his nice shiney nickel wisely.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jmb1099
                          There is no possible way we are re-signing Clements--- in this cash to cap philosophy he will cost us at least 24 million against this years cap.

15 million dollar signing bonus minimum---- all against this years cash to cap

then another 9 mil per year for salary at least.

There is no way we are signing Clements under this new cap spending method.

Comment

• raphael120
                            Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                            • Oct 2005

clements is not one of a kind...we will find another CB, people..its not the end of the world...and in the cover 2, the CB's are not as important as the safeties and D-line...we're good at safety, but we do need an upgrade on the DE and DT. CB...i think ashton will show up. i dont see them drafting a CB again because then theyll have 2 rookie CB's, technically...

and no one is talking about Mcgee...we do realize that he crapped the bed last season? he needs to step up and grow some brass ones, or we should be drafting another CB

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jmb1099
                              1) Don't have it in the first place. No news is good news.

2) They are basicaly hand cuffing themselves. If there is a perfect fit for the team they won't do it because of Mr. Wilson and money. So encouraged I'm not.

3) Where do you figure that they are making an attempt at keeping Clements? They are hoping that he get's offered less than everybody knows he's going to get. That's like me saying that I'm buying the Bills. It's sounds good but doesn't have a snow balls chance of happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X