PDA

View Full Version : The sky is falling after Marv's PC! My PC breakdown.

jpdex12
02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
This is long but it is Saturday. What else do you have to do if you are surfing the web today? An early breakdown of the latest news from OBD...

But really, good god, I honestly didn't expect to hear so much whining about Marv's PC but then again, there are a few Zoners here that panic at the blink of an eye.

Keep in mind that no one is going to lay out a detailed plan as to what they are going to attempt to do in the offseason and for the draft. That would be just plain stupid! I definitely saw some smoke and mirror talk from Marv's PC and there was also some truth to the whole discussion as well.

Yup, you can consider our top three FA's gone as most of us suspected. Maybe an outside chance that Kelsay is signed but he's so expendable and average why bother. Bye Bye Nate, he will be too expensive and goes against the "cash to cap" philosophy. As we figured. London as Marv explained in lesser words is not the attacking LB they want and he is over the hill and will demand too much $$ for his age. Holcomb is expendible as well. Clumpy, how much cap space are we saving if we axe Spikes and Holcomb?

I found it interesting that they are speaking already of so much concern about Takeo's health. He seemed to be coming on from the injury late in the season. OBD may be thinking about purging many of their high contract older players and "fitting the Bill" with new younger players of their caliber that do not have any lingering health issues. Wouldn't suprise me now either way on the decision of Spikes. We'll have to wait and see. I hope he can stay healthy and maybe renegotiate his contract because it will just create another hole for us to fill with too little time. This just makes me think more that we will take a LB in the first round.

So far, all of this talk doesn't appear to be BS from Marv. We may end up signing more than he specified in FA and that is the smoke and mirror effect. I don't feel like we really need to be big spenders though. I think that we need a veteran CB from FA to help out and fill Nate's spot until we see what Youboty has. A draft pick just won't cut it as far as an immediate impact for this defense this year. There isn't anyone that stands out as a CB in the draft that can step in. Hall got burned too many times by college WR's to be able to step in immediately. We have to win now but build for the future...veteran CB via FA.

Good bye to the tagged Briggs, Freeney, Samuel and Thomas. I would have liked to grab Briggs, but he would have been too expensive as well. Steinbach won't be on our radar either, too much $$. Let's hope that Freeney gets tagged as Indy has some decent FA's that we can make a run at like June if Takeo is gone, Harper or either of their guards. They are solid players. Our FA pickups may likely be a LB, CB or an OL or two.

I think that Willis will play his ass off in the last year of his contract and then he's gone...either let him go as a FA if he tanks again this year or we get a pick for him via trade. You can bet that Marv was serious about a RB from this year's draft. Like Irons from Auburn in the 3rd or Pittman from OSU. A RB like this caliber would fit nicely with A-Train who we will resign. Even if Willis holds out this year. F him! I hope he does so we can move on.

Our areas of need don't envision a WR? Not if our line gets significantly better which it should. That will allow JP more time and the WR's more time to get through their routes and JP to be more patient. Unless Calvin Johnson drops too us (yeah right) no WR in the 1st round. If someone like Dwayne Bowe is still hanging in the 2nd...maybe. Definitely OL via draft and FA. I can see us grabbing a DL in the draft as well. With some nice suprises like Butler and 1st rounder McCargo on the DL we will see improvement without any new acquisitions. Watch and see.

Our draft will be interesting. I cannot see us grabbing anything other than a LB and DT in the first two rounds. Someone that can contribute this year. Patrick Willis and Brandon Mebane would be two names that pop into my mind. Just a shot in the dark coming from some sports junky like myself! I think that Marv was serious about a RB from the draft as I had mentioned earlier. If OBD has the ability to spot immediate impact players like they did in last year's draft, they won't be afraid to do it again this year and play them right away. If they find enough of these players in day one of the draft I wouldn't rule out us moving around a few spots in the draft to pick up extra picks.

An early preseason guess to the draft, FA and lineup...it's fun to speculate!

Draft
1st-Willis
2nd-Mebane
3rd-Irons
4th-Marten-OT BC
5th-Traded to St. Louis
6th-Santucci-OG Notre Dame
7th-Beck-QB BYU

FA
OG-Lilja Colts
CB-Harper Colts
TE-Graham Patriots

Starting O
QB-Losman
RB-McGahee
FB-Shelton
LT-Peters
LG-Gandy/Preston
C-Fowler
RG-Lilja
RT-Butler/Pennington
TE-Graham/Royal
WR-Evans
WR-Price

Starting D
LDE-Hargrove/Denney
LDT-Triplett
RDT-McCargo/Williams
RDE-Schoebel
MLB-Crowell
WLB-Spikes
SLB-Willis
LCB-McGee
RCB-Harper
SS-Whitner
FS-Simpson

McBFLO
02-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I like the sound of this. Thanks for putting in the time to write such a long, well-thought-out post!

HHURRICANE
02-20-2007, 09:42 AM
I think your thread is very good.

Just some points:

1) We will not bring in another TE. Didn't Marv say that Everet was still developing? I think they are going to give Everett one more year. He's too high a draft pick to cut. We have too many TEs already.

2) Are we going to keep a FB? So many teams are moving away from this and Shelton was less than stellar. Plus I hate using him in Madden (that was a joke).

3) I love the idea of Harper coming in to help out Youboty. I think this will happen.

4) I thought that Spikes getting brought up was interesting. The cash to cap conference was to definately lower our expectations about FA signings. I also believe that there is a chance that Spikes gets cut if he doesn't renegotiate.

jamze132
02-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Nice thread starter.

I don't think Spikes get's cut. We need veteran presence within the LB corps, especially if we go with Patrick Willis in the 1st RD, which we should.