PDA

View Full Version : Spikes done in Buffalo?

HHURRICANE
02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
"The future of linebacker Takeo Spikes with the team is in doubt." per Buffalo News.

I'm not shocked. His tear was high and I was told that it was odubtful that he could make a siginificant recovery. The medical staff must be telling the coaching staff that he's done. Probably not a bad idea to cut him and go after June.

I do feel bad for him but he'll be retiring with alot more than most people.

Bert102176
02-17-2007, 12:55 PM
June sucks

Devin
02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Wow. Well that blows.

Forward_Lateral
02-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I see no mention of this on ESPN or anywhere. Do you have a link HH?

Tatonka
02-17-2007, 01:12 PM
I can tell you right now.. spikes will not retire. he will get signed by someone else. there is no doubt about that.

i personally hope we do not get rid of him. I think it would be a huge mistake to not give him ONE more year.

Devin
02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
If this is the case our draft just became very very easy.

Devin
02-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I can tell you right now.. spikes will not retire. he will get signed by someone else. there is no doubt about that.

i personally hope we do not get rid of him. I think it would be a huge mistake to not give him ONE more year.

Agreed.

Jan Reimers
02-17-2007, 01:23 PM
With advances in surgical techniques and rehab programs - plus his work ethic and competitive fire - I don't think it's a given that Spikes will never come back from his injury.

I'd give him another season.

Bert102176
02-17-2007, 01:27 PM
all the more reason to try and do a trade with NE for both their 1st rd picks then get willis the MLB and Posluszny the OLB

Devin
02-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Willis will already be wearing his teams colors by pick #24.

No chance he lasts til that pick.

Bert102176
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I would prefer spikes to come back and give him a chance to prove he is back to form

Bert102176
02-17-2007, 01:36 PM
I think the only team that'll draft a LB before that is the Giants and they will take Timmons

gr8slayer
02-17-2007, 01:55 PM
It would be a huge mistake to let both Spikes and Fletcher go.

DraftBoy
02-17-2007, 02:00 PM
If Spikes goes, take Willis at 9, and Siler in Round 2

Mr. Pink
02-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I was saying last season that Spikes would be a shell of himself and resemble Jamir Miller.

Same type of aggresive go get em LBers, torn achilles, then developed other injuries, then out of football.

It's a bigger mistake to keep Spikes right now at his salary then to just part ways. We can free up some cap space for this year and be able to have more to spend with.

It's a wise business decision at this point, as cruel as this sounds, to just wash our hands of him and move on. Sure, it's gonna hurt replacing two LBers but Spikes right now isn't even half the LB he was and we can easily find someone as good as he is now to replace him.

Devin
02-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I think the only team that'll draft a LB before that is the Giants and they will take Timmons

WIllis will be long gone. Timmons if I were a betting man will also be gone prior to 24.

At 24 you get a shot at guys like Poz, Siler, Blades and Davis.

Talk0fNewYork
02-17-2007, 02:17 PM
June sucks
How? Give me 1 good reason why he sucks!

HHURRICANE
02-17-2007, 02:23 PM
With advances in surgical techniques and rehab programs - plus his work ethic and competitive fire - I don't think it's a given that Spikes will never come back from his injury.

I know one of the doctors that originally looked at it.

Bert102176
02-17-2007, 02:24 PM
he likes to get injured

Talk0fNewYork
02-17-2007, 02:26 PM
he likes to get injured
Who?

Talk0fNewYork
02-17-2007, 02:28 PM
June missed 3 games in the last 3 years, and they were in the year he went to the PRO BOWL!

DynaPaul
02-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm tempted to say one more year but I don't know. After seeing him play at the end of last year my gut says he's Bryce Paup part 2.

raphael120
02-17-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah, encouraging signs at the end of the year were in the form of "not stinkin up the joint" for spikes...and he's my favorite player mind you...but he seems like not only is he a shell of his former self, but he's seriously deteriorating on the "good character" issue...more and more he's getting disgruntled seein his good ol buddies leavin the team

casdhf
02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
It's a bigger mistake to keep Spikes right now at his salary then to just part ways. We can free up some cap space for this year and be able to have more to spend with.

I would agree, if we needed to purge salary for space ... but we have plenty of room, enough to risk one season, at least.

Typ0
02-17-2007, 07:17 PM

I agree it would be nice to see what he brings this season but it comes down to a risk vs. reward in this instance and the risk is what he's getting paid. It would be nice if Takeo himself stepped up to the plate here and agreed to renegotiate a bit to stay here...but do you think that will really happen?

ublinkwescore
02-17-2007, 07:48 PM
I agree it would be nice to see what he brings this season but it comes down to a risk vs. reward in this instance and the risk is what he's getting paid. It would be nice if Takeo himself stepped up to the plate here and agreed to renegotiate a bit to stay here...but do you think that will really happen?

Unfortunately, it won't - I'd really like to know what he's due to make this year - if it's five mill or less, we should keep him - if it's anything more - I think it's time to let him go ASAP to give him a fair shot at FA - or we can tell him to renegotiate or we have no choice but to let him go.

YardRat
02-17-2007, 09:24 PM
LB Takeo Spikes $6M - $3M against cap if released.

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

jamesiscool
02-18-2007, 01:33 AM
what we are seeming to forget is this team is already losing its vocal leader, fletcher. if we lose fletcher AND tko we got no one to get this team fired up. when was the last time you saw schobel jumping up and down and getting in a players face when he makes a big stop?

the reason tko was slow last season was a hamstring injury. now he's got a full offseason to get over that. remember that first hit of the season that forced the fumble? that was tko with a good hammy and a decent achilles tendon. end of the season it was a bum hamstring and a decent achilles.

NOW if is hamstring is all better and he's made progress in his rehab for his tendon he should be the same old dominant vocal leader of the bills defense.

He's also what marv would consider an "ATTACKING LINEBACKER".

James

ublinkwescore
02-18-2007, 03:02 AM
LB Takeo Spikes $6M - $3M against cap if released.

http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

well, since he's gonna be worth just a little over the 5 mill I said that I'd keep him at, or 3 mill against the cap if we part with him, that tells me we should keep him.

He's still got some football left in him IMO.

He started to show signs of being his former self (unfortunately, it wasn't 100% TKO) at the very end of last season, and we won't have to wait on yet another LB to develop if we keep him and he is in fact back to at least 80% of what he used to be - the injury he suffered always has a psychological effect on someone as well - that's something else that may have played into his extremely long recovery.

One more thing, Sam Cowart started to look like his former self, but he got hurt yet again, and the Jets had drafted Johnathan Vilma who happens to be pretty good so it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that it was time to part ways with the old and let the younger playmaker start.

TKO had to be one of the best at rapidly diagnosing a play prior to his injury too - that ability probably deteriorated significantly after being off the field for so long.

!Papacrunk!
02-18-2007, 07:25 AM
You know if they cut him, he'll probably end up in a Patriots uniform and he'd have a miraculous recovery. Freakin Patriots.

HHURRICANE
02-18-2007, 09:27 AM
He's also what marv would consider an "ATTACKING LINEBACKER".

James

If Marv thought he already had an attacking LB he wouldn't be asking for one.

HHURRICANE
02-18-2007, 09:29 AM
You know if they cut him, he'll probably end up in a Patriots uniform and he'd have a miraculous recovery. Freakin Patriots.

A healthy Spikes on the Pats would be scary. "Healthy" is the key word.

As long as our medical staff didn't go to the same school that the Miami staff went to than I'll defer to them.

jamze132
02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I was saying last season that Spikes would be a shell of himself and resemble Jamir Miller.

Same type of aggresive go get em LBers, torn achilles, then developed other injuries, then out of football.

It's a wise business decision at this point, as cruel as this sounds, to just wash our hands of him and move on. Sure, it's gonna hurt replacing two LBers but Spikes right now isn't even half the LB he was and we can easily find someone as good as he is now to replace him.
We gain less than $3 mil in space if we release him. I don't really see a need to clear more space this season. Let the guy play and see what happens.

If the Bills do cut Spikes, I would hope they would replace him with Cato June and draft a LB in the 1st or 2nd round to replace him.

Luisito23
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
We begged him to come here, and now we're trying to push him out the door?...That's straight BS!...The Warrior deserves at least one more shot....

GO BILLS!!!!!

Don't Panic
02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
You're betting that he will be able to perform at a level close to where he was before the injury, and that if he can't, Ellison will fill in and do a good job. I'd say that's a worthy bet, especially considering we already need one LB in FA as is. Getting a guy like June isn't going to mean much unless we are willing to draft a LB with our 1st to replace Spikes. That is the only move that improves our LBing over last year's group, and that's a lot to invest. If we are going to go that route, we either draft Willis at #12 or trade down with someone like Cincy at #18 (NE would never do what's been proposed) and draft Poz. We could pick up their 2nd and give them our 3rd to even it out. This means passing on a position other than LB at #12, something that could prove to be a mistake, especially if Spikes returns close to form. I'd rather gamble on him than against him.