Does cash to cap lead to rebuilding every 3 or 4 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZacGriffi~82
    • Jun 2003

Does cash to cap lead to rebuilding every 3 or 4 years?

It seems to make it very tough to sign any of your key veterans. You can't just expect to rely on rookies every single year, you have to retain your core and i just don't see how this can be done. It seems to put a real strain on coaches and could breed frustration among veterans. I'm not married to this opinion if someone could explain to me why this won't happen.
    www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-
  • McBFLO
    • Mar 2003

Re: Does cash to cap lead to rebuilding every 3 or 4 years?

I think that, whether good, bad or maybe both, it will lead to consistency. You're never going to have an excellent or horrible team. Only time will tell, but if I understand this thing right, it seems like you're always going to be leaning on your rookies and 2nd tier FAs. So, it seems like it'll put a LOT more pressure on the personnel and coaching staffs to maximize the players brought in. It'll become even more of a coaching league than it is now if other teams employ this strategy.
    Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• McBFLO
      • Mar 2003

But, there's a good chance that I'm missing something with this C2TC thing...
      Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

As I understand it, cash to cap is a form of spending discipline. Teams that year after year hand out big signing bonuses, either to retain players or sign high priced free agents, can, if the GM has an eye for real talent, really build the talent level of the team, but the day comes when the team has to pay the piper. It stops being practical to renegotiate contracts and the team enters cap hell. That's what John Butler did with the Bills. Tom Donahoe was hired initially to pay the piper, which he actually did well. Operating cash to cap will prevent the Bills from ever finding themselves way over cap spending limits because they just aren't going to be amortizing bonus money. They have in essence cut up their cap credit card. The disadvantage is that they deny themselves the flexibility of signing that one additional big name free agent who just might put them over the top in terms of talent to win the Super Bowl.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
          • Jun 2003

Yeah but the salary cap is increasing at rates higher then ever before. The spending isn't catching up with teams like it used to.
          Last edited by ZacGriffi~82; 02-19-2007, 10:08 AM.
          www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

get used to it. as long as wilson is the owner, this will be the story.

when's the last time we actually kept one of our big name FA's?

under donahoe, at least the team brought in some bigger names (Bledsoe, Spikes) and kept the fans interested, even if the team didn't make the playoffs.

seems like RW has gotten progressively cheaper the last few years, we still aren't in the playoffs, and the roster is full of mid-tier nobody's that aren't going to energize the fanbase nor take us to a super bowl - which is all i really care about.

yes, we will rely on the draft - probably forever - because it's obvious that once our draft picks mature into serviceable players, ralph won't pay them.

we are basically turning into an advanced training camp for the NFL. start your career here, groom into a avg/above avg player, then leave town.

i still love the team, still will get my tix renewed, but to be honest, i'm not at all optimistic that this team will ever get the promised land under RW...

I understand his opinion on the finances and the direction the league is heading, but he has also has painted Buffalo sports fans as poor followers without the ability to pay for a product. His problem is he doesn't realize people aren't going to games because the team lacks interest and hasn't won anything of significance in years.

Put a good, competitive, interesting team on the field and people will flood the gates and inflate his bank account. Give us crap and deal with teetering in the red.

Comment

Working...
            X