PDA

View Full Version : Things we know won't happen:

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 07:50 AM
1) Spikes will not get cut. That would be a huge event when you think about it. Even though I doubt he gets much better the coaching staff is going to give it one more year.

2) Clements will not be a Bill. Easy.

3) We will not draft a WR in the early rounds. Buffalo has been very lucky with WRs in the first round. But league wide this is one of the highest bust positions. I think we will wait and take somebody later.

4) We will not trade McGahee. No reason to.

5) We will not tag any players.

6) We will not sign any top tier free agent. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!! No Dielman, Steinbach, etc.

This organization is pretty upfront. There will be no surprises in the next 4 weeks. Don't look for a lot of cuts either.

Bills will draft for the D and OL early. Skill positions later on. I think we will sign some FA's and make attempts at RFAs(worthless attempt) to build the D some more. But nobody high end.

This is scary to say but unless Losman improves on to Pro Bowl caliber (not Vince Young caliber), than this team is looking at 9-7. I like what we are doing but we cannot make enough changes based on the Ralph/Marv philosophy to get to 12 wins this year. I just don't see it.

RockStar36
02-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Based on the improvements JP made and how the team now has a full off-season with the system in place, I can see double digit wins.

Don't Panic
02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Agreed with #1-5 (although there is definitely REASON to trade McGahee, just maybe not equal return). If #6 does not happen, then I agree with what you said at the end as well. However, I think we can get a top 5 FA G and a top tier FA LB, even with what Marv said on Friday. Cash to cap still allows for two $10 million signing bonuses and leaves more than enough to sign draft picks and two or three other mid-level guys. It would be maximizing what has been said, but not going beyond it. Let's just hope there are many minds in the front office on this one and not just one.

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Based on the improvements JP made and how the team now has a full off-season with the system in place, I can see double digit wins.

Although I think Losman made some big strides I do not think he can get us double digits without a D.

Since 1997 the Super Bowl has been won 7 times with HOF QB's Favre, Elway, Brady, and Manning. The others were Dilfer, Johnson, Rothlinsberger, and Warner. With the exception of Warner(who played like a HOFr that year) the other winners had awesome D's or HOF QB's.

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Agreed with #1-5 (although there is definitely REASON to trade McGahee, just maybe not equal return). If #6 does not happen, then I agree with what you said at the end as well. However, I think we can get a top 5 FA G and a top tier FA LB, even with what Marv said on Friday. Cash to cap still allows for two $10 million signing bonuses and leaves more than enough to sign draft picks and two or three other mid-level guys. It would be maximizing what has been said, but not going beyond it. Let's just hope there are many minds in the front office on this one and not just one.

I don't see them going after a big name FA. It's not in their psychy right now. I would bet money on it.

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:18 AM

Ralph hates the new CBA. The last thing he is going to do is overpay on any top tier FA. Any of the top guys are going to get record deals and Ralph won't being having his name attached to any of that. Guaranteed.

Don't Panic
02-19-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't see them going after a big name FA. It's not in their psychy right now. I would bet money on it.

I guess I'm back to being the optimist! I understand where you are coming from, and there's a good chance you're right. We know he won't be signing anyone who is #1 or #2 at their position. But the 3rd or 4th best guard? The 5th best LB? Is he really going to have to set a record to get a guy like that in here?

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I guess I'm back to being the optimist! I understand where you are coming from, and there's a good chance you're right. We know he won't be signing anyone who is #1 or #2 at their position. But the 3rd or 4th best guard? The 5th best LB? Is he really going to have to set a record to get a guy like that in here?

Wait til you see what Kelsay and Fletcher get.

bigbub2352
02-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Hurricane, i agree sadley,but i agree 100%, it will be a very frustrating offseason i think for the Bills, but they will get better thur the draft, just dont see us throwin around money listening to what everyone has had to say after our state of the Bills address, just hope that we dont bring in bad players and pay them good money, heres to high hopes

Don't Panic
02-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Wait til you see what Kelsay and Fletcher get.

Well, let's put a number to this then. I mean, do you think Kelsay ends up getting a $10 million signing bonus? If that's the case, then we're pretty much screwed no matter how you look at it. If he's down around $5 million, then I think we can still be fairly aggressive in the market without breaking the cash to cap philosophy.

bigbub2352
02-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Bills need to seriously consider Charles Grant form NO, and let Kelsay walk, Grant is alot better and more consistent against the run then Kelsay and his sack totals are also more consistent and dont forget he played on crap teams up until this year for the Saints and he is like 28 so he has 4 solid years left easy

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, let's put a number to this then. I mean, do you think Kelsay ends up getting a $10 million signing bonus? If that's the case, then we're pretty much screwed no matter how you look at it. If he's down around $5 million, then I think we can still be fairly aggressive in the market without breaking the cash to cap philosophy.

No, he's not getting 10 million. But let me put it in perspective. Justin Smith, who's okay, was expected to get a 10 million dollar signing bonus. The Bengals franchised him for 8.7 million this year.

Kelsay, who sucks, could get a 4-5 million dollar signing bonus. That's insane. So relatively speaking who do you think Marv is going to sign that Ralph will okay. Stienbach or Dielman are looking at 10-15 million dollar signing bonuses.

Don't Panic
02-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Stienbach or Dielman are looking at 10-15 million dollar signing bonuses.

Once again, if that's the case, we are in trouble. I would honestly say that I would be happy if one of those two were our big signing, but if we're talking $15 million, then you're right and we can forget it. $10 million or less, maybe, but any more than that and it'll be a repeat of last year.