• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Raiding Indy

Since Marv Levy and apparently half of you have a hard on for the Indy Colts and their organization, I'm really starting to hope that we take advantage of their weak cap situation and raid their roster a little bit in FA.

I only think the Bills need to make three FA signings.. Let me take that back..Three FA signings that MATTER.. Matt Bowens and Craig Nall signings don't count.
    If they were able to land Cato June and Nick Harper, I'd be very satisfied with them as replacements for Clements and Fletcher. Nate is better than Harper but he's used to the cover two and would do well. June is better than Fletcher and also knows the system. This would enable to the move for Crowell to the middle and Spikes/Ellison on other side.

These two guys will cost some money, especially June but I dont think either contract would be ridiculous, especially Harper.

That leaves one free agent guard to sign.. Steinbach will be too expensive and Dielman probably would be too. Dockery (Wash) would be a GREAT signing IMO.

Then bring back Gandy for the other guard spot, piss on Kelsay and I really dont care who else they resign after that..

Then you can go into the draft without NEEDING to replace nate or fletcher.. YOu got the guard you know you needed.

And that would enable us to draft a really solid DT (Okoye, Branch) or a DE (Johnson, CArriker).. You could even take a shot at Lynch at RB (though I think that would be stupid and plus Marv won't do that).

Your looking at three free agent signings there (june, harper, dockery), and a first round pick on the DL.

That's about as good an offseason as a bills fan could REALISTICALLY hope for.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Bling
    • Jul 2004

Re: Raiding Indy

Do you go home, and just think about football 24/7?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

What do you think it would cost to sign June, Harper, and Dockery...specifically in 'roster' bonuses and first-year number?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Since Marv Levy and apparently half of you have a hard on for the Indy Colts and their organization, I'm really starting to hope that we take advantage of their weak cap situation and raid their roster a little bit in FA.

I only think the Bills need to make three FA signings.. Let me take that back..Three FA signings that MATTER.. Matt Bowens and Craig Nall signings don't count.
        If they were able to land Cato June and Nick Harper, I'd be very satisfied with them as replacements for Clements and Fletcher. Nate is better than Harper but he's used to the cover two and would do well. June is better than Fletcher and also knows the system. This would enable to the move for Crowell to the middle and Spikes/Ellison on other side.

These two guys will cost some money, especially June but I dont think either contract would be ridiculous, especially Harper.

That leaves one free agent guard to sign.. Steinbach will be too expensive and Dielman probably would be too. Dockery (Wash) would be a GREAT signing IMO.

Then bring back Gandy for the other guard spot, piss on Kelsay and I really dont care who else they resign after that..

Then you can go into the draft without NEEDING to replace nate or fletcher.. YOu got the guard you know you needed.

And that would enable us to draft a really solid DT (Okoye, Branch) or a DE (Johnson, CArriker).. You could even take a shot at Lynch at RB (though I think that would be stupid and plus Marv won't do that).

Your looking at three free agent signings there (june, harper, dockery), and a first round pick on the DL.

That would be great IMO. I would be more than happy if this or something to this affect played out.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
          Legendary Zoner
          • Jul 2002

Other than Freeney or Bob Sanders, I don't want anybody from that POS Colt defense.

Comment

• Mudflap1
            Next Question!
            • Nov 2004

I agree, this is what I thought they'd do all along. Hopefully they follow through and don't go the cheaper, less active route.

Jon

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

This is the first time I agree with patmoran. On anything.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                • Oct 2002

I loved the way Ellison played last year. He was around the ball all the time and really made some big plays. Crowell really came on last year at OLB before his injury and played well too. I think we're set at OLB. I'm intrigued with the thought of possibly moving Spikes to MLB. I think he has the right size for the position, and although he's lost a step and might be of average speed for a OLB, he might be a right fit at MLB for the Tampa 2.

I would like Harper here if it's possible. He could step in for Clements right away. If the Bills resign Thomas as a Nickel-Dime back, then they are set at CB with Youboty at Nickel-Dime and McGee starting.

If Gandy isn't resigned, then there are lots of problems on the O-Line. Coupled with the problems on the DLine as well, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the Day 1 picks aren't used on the Lines if not addressed in FA.
                Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006

I would be very happy with that offseason.
                  Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

I think some people on here are SERIOUSLY overlooking the significance of that big attendance drop at the end of last season,a nd that was on a little mini playoff run.

I will accept we wont sign Steinbach or Clements or most of the "huge" names. But if Wilson goes as cheap as IM thinking he's going to, this team BETTER win some games early or last season's attendance problem will be NOTHING compared to what happens this time..

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Forget June or Harper, lets sign their OG's and call it a day
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Look, I'll buy into at least some of Marv's press conference last week. I accept the fact that we're not going to get into bidding wars for guys like Steinbach, Clements, Freeney (if not already tagged).. Even Dielman. A gigantic contract like that could indeed "mortgage" the future. In that regards, I grudgingly have to agree with Marv and some of you posters.
                        However, don't give me that bull**** that we can't go out and sign THREE free agents in Harper, June and Dockery. We CAN afford it.

A) We DO have more than enough cap room to sign three decent/good free agents

B) ESPECIALLY since Levy will resign almost every free agent we have EXCEPT for the two who are the best (and most expensive)

What we CAN'T afford to do is not make a concerted effort to improve this team.

In all due respect, I dont know what planet at least a select few of you are from, but with rising ticket prices, growing frustration from alot of fans and a DROPPING ticket fan base, the only thing this team really cant afford is not be a playoff contender.

as I've stated several times since season's end; there are NO more excuses. The Young QB has grown-- there are good young players around him-- the coaching staff has had a full year to grow together now-- and the GM isn't a rookie anymore.

If anybody and I mean ANYBODY on this board tells me the 2007 Bills will be BETTER on defense with Ellison and YOuboty instead of Clements and Fletcher, you are seriously out of your mind... Maybe in a couple of years those guys will become stars, but the Bills are mortgaging the future with their FANs more than their wallets should they replace our stars with those young kids and they struggle in 2007.

How many consecutive losing and/or non playoff seasons does Wilson think he can get away with before the fans get sick of the losing product?
                        Put it this way, Last season was just a SMALL TASTE of attendance problems that will occur should more fans lose excitement over this team.. And that was in the midst of a PLAYOFF RUN.. What do you think is going to happen if we start 5-6 MORE ROOKIES and "who cares" FA's.. You think fans are going to come close to selling out through another 5-7 win season?? Umm, no.. Not after Wilson lets two of his most popular players walk and replaces them with what the MAJORITY of fans will consider CHEAP replacements..

The botom line is this team CAN afford a trio of June, Harper and Dockery.. and if they got them and another good draft they become legit CONTENDERS.. I didnt provide a long list of BIG named signings.. I got three, and NONE are the most expensive at their positions, not even close.
                        If they dont contend this year and RALPH takes the cheap way out; you can bet that stadium will be 15-20 thousand short on Sundays.

Comment

• RockStar36
                          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                          • Sep 2004

June will command more money because Briggs got FRANCHISED. Same thing WITH Clements/Samuel. Both would BE good FA signings but you have TO remember THAT there are 31 other NFL teams that participate IN FA and want TO sign THESE guys TOO.

D & S Sports

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

C'mon pat...throw some realistice contract numbers out here so we can determine how do-able it is.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Well most of those teams wont have the CAP ROOM..

We do.. Its a question on what Wilson is willing to pay for players to help us contend.. OR does he think the fans are stupid enough to lose our top two FA's and replace them with no-names or rookies and expect fans to rush to the ticket window.?

June may or may not be in our price range, and if we ATTEMPT to make a move on him and fail (like we did with Pickett last season) nobody has a reason to get upset.. But to not make a move for 2-3 impact FA's (and im not talking the most expensive ones necessarily) is just a CHEAP ASS way out.

Comment

Working...
                              X