PDA

View Full Version : Its Official.

Devin
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Freeney has been tagged.

The Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ind) have placed the franchise tag on defensive end Dwight Freeney (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5897).

For a team to try to sign him, they have to be willing to give up two first-round draft choices and then have to wait seven days after reaching agreement to see if the Colts will match.

In his five-year career, Freeney has 46.5 sacks, including 5.5 sacks during Indianpolis' run to the Super Bowl last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771491

SABURZFAN
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
ok.....who wants to give up the 2 1st rounders?

:movie:

eyedog
02-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Really. And I thought he was gonna sign with the Bills.

jamesiscool
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Really. And I thought he was gonna sign with the Bills.

haha.....

Kerr
02-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Why would a team want to tag an overrated end with one move coming off a bad year?
Now where's that sarcasm smilie?

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Good thing we decided not to tag Clements again.

dolphan117
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Kerney is a FA though

Falcons | Kerney voiding final two years of contract
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:33:44 -0800
ESPNews reports Atlanta Falcons DE (http://www.kffl.com/team/7/nfl)Patrick Kerney (http://www.kffl.com/player/68/nfl) has voided the final two years of his contract. He will now be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.
Probably the top DE in FA now.

HHURRICANE
02-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Kerney is a FA though

Probably the top DE in FA now.

Kerney is no dummy. This is the market you want to end up in.

X-Era
02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Freeney has been tagged.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771491

damn, we were THIS close to actually agreeing to pay top dollar for a top free agent.

Wait...............

So, we now cant sign a guy we wouldht have signed anyway BEFORE the cap to cash move.

It just goes further to prove my point which is all the best guys arent ever out there anyway, so having a ton of cash to spend is useless.

Devin
02-19-2007, 09:57 PM
K guys this post was merely informational.....I wasnt implying anything.

Ickybaluky
02-20-2007, 04:20 AM
ok.....who wants to give up the 2 1st rounders?

Actually, they gave him the exclusive tag, not the non-exclusive tag. With the non-exclusive tag he would have been able to negotiate a contract with another team, and the Colts would have received 2 firsts if they did not match. With the exclusive tag he can't even negotiate with other teams (just the Colts), but his tender will be adjusted after FA to include contracts signed this year (thus, his cap number should rise later in the year).

TacklingDummy
02-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Lindell and Wire have eaten up most of our "cash to cap" anyways.

Jan Reimers
02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
With the number of potential key FAs being tagged, I guess "The Sky is Falling Contingent" can safely go outside again, and stop crying and screaming about Marv's press conference - or will the lack of quality FAs in the market somehow make the Bills' stated philosophy even more life threatening?

RockStar36
02-20-2007, 07:39 AM
The Bills are going to be fine. I assume the people at OBD know what they are doing which is why they are getting paid what they are. Once again, this is real life and not Madden 2007 where the Bills can just go and sign anyone they want. It just doesn't work that way. I was pleased with what I saw last year near the end of the season and I think some fine tuning is all this team needs.

eyedog
02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I hope those in charge at OBD know what they are doing. Just because they are running the show doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Look at Donadumb and his crew, do you think they knew what they were doing ? I don't.

RockStar36
02-20-2007, 08:09 AM
No, I didn't think they knew what they were doing. But it took more than one year for me to figure it out. I'll wait and see what happens in this year's draft and FA before I start overreacting.

eyedog
02-20-2007, 08:24 AM
I didn't like the move of drafting a safety over a lineman last year at #8. If our lines were strong and set then that's one thing but they were not and are still not. And it's not that I don't like Whitner but this team needs quality lineman first. So yes I am a little leary of this front office and an unproven/rookie gm. His crop of free agents sucked, not tagging/promise to Nate was a mistake, ridiculous contracts to Reed and Price. I hope they are better this offseason.

Elminster
02-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I didn't like the move of drafting a safety over a lineman last year at #8. If our lines were strong and set then that's one thing but they were not and are still not. And it's not that I don't like Whitner but this team needs quality lineman first. So yes I am a little leary of this front office and an unproven/rookie gm. His crop of free agents sucked, not tagging/promise to Nate was a mistake, ridiculous contracts to Reed and Price. I hope they are better this offseason.
That's because you aren't thinking the Tampa-2. Indy's dline, believe it or not, was good. What was missing....was Bob Sanders and Gary Brackett. Speedy, head-hunting SS, and strong, eats-running-backs-for-breakfast yet not slow linebacker in the middle. Their line didn't change, but their run defense went from unspeakably bad to pretty damned good. The SS is extremely vital to the Tampa-2, and we have some talent at DT, lest you forget. After Indy's Super Bowl run, featuring shutting down LJ and the Ravens on the ground, my only beef with the Tampa-2 is that it seems precariously vulnerable to injuries...

OpIv37
02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
The Bills are going to be fine. I assume the people at OBD know what they are doing which is why they are getting paid what they are.

I wouldn't make that assumption until we win some football games. Does anyone still assume Matt Millen knows what he's doing?