The only way we draft a DT round one is if:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

The only way we draft a DT round one is if:

Marv, Dick, and Perry ALL agree that Tripplett was a bust last year and will not be able to start sufficiently this year. All three were on board to make the sacrifice in order to get McCargo and WILL NOT FORGET that this April. McCargo will be given EVERY opportunity to start this year on D.

The only way we draft a Branch or a Akoye is IF and ONLY IF OBD believes that Kyle Williams and Tripplett will not give us what we need at DT. Drafting a 1st pick to compete w/ last year's 1st pick is stupid and they know that.

With this in mind, it all depends on the 2006 player evaluations that were conducted this January by the coaches. It all hinges on how Williams/Tripplett preformed. Don't even take McCargo into consideration right now. Do you believe WIlliams/Tripplett can be solid contributors in 07?

Unless we don't resign Hargrove AND Kelsay I don't see us taking any DE round 1, but possibly later in day 1. So that leaves LB and the dark horses RB and CB.

I would take Lynch at 12, but I would also take Willis and Poz in the late 1st if we can.

Thoughts?
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: The only way we draft a DT round one is if:

Marv and Dick will never admit Tripps was a bust. As inconsistent as Tripps was, he's probably getting the benefit of the doubt and will be given another year to prove he was worth the money he got. I don't see them taking a dt at all in the 1st round anyway. McCargo was drafted to be a starter in the future, but his development was stalled because of his injury. I could see them taking a dt in the 2nd and under though. If kelsay is not brought back, there's a strong possbility DE could be the pick to compete for the LE spot. The one position I lease expect them to address with the 1st pick is corner. Corners in the cover 2 are a dime a dozen.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

I agree completely, I really think that they will be looking at LB's that can help stop the run, since that was our biggest problem on D last year, and with McCargo and Williams being young as they are, and with Triplett being brought in, I do not see us ever drafting a DT round one. That being said, I'd love to have either Branch or Okoye...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Nothing the Bills do on draft day will surprise me. It's happened too many times in the past.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

I disagree completely. Tripplett and McCargo are three technique or under tackle DTs. Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson are one technique DTs. Tim Anderson is useless, and Kyle Williams is an overachieving 5th round draft pick with limited upside. Jason Jefferson is a warm body for emergencies. That he played at the end of the season is testimony to how bad the situation is at the one technique position. So is the fact that the Bills are actually considering converting McCargo to a one technique position. Tripplett is not a world beater by any means, but his spot is not what the Bills are worried about.

If the Bills can pick up a good one technique DT early in the draft, they will do so. It may not be round one, but that is more due to what's available than what they need. Alan Branch may not have the quickness to play the Tampa 2 and Amobi Okoye may not have the body mass. If he can add some muscle mass and come to the combine somewhere above 300 lbs, and continue to get bigger before the draft, Buffalo will certainly consider him. If not, they will consider Justin Harrell, Demarcus Tyler, Brandon Mebane, and Kareem Brown in the second and third rounds. The other problem with Branch and Okoye is that it's conceivable that both will be gone by the time the Bills pick at # 12
          Last edited by TigerJ; 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

Again, we will draft for the OL, or any position on the D. Period. The idea that DT is off the table is ridiculous. We won't take a WR or any skill position til much later. But if the best player available is a DT we are taking them. That's the way it works.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
              The other problem with Branch and Okoye is that it's conceivable that both will be gone by the time the Bills pick at # 12

Both Branch and Okoye being gone before we pick would greatly benefit us b/c it would cause more players at different positions to fall to us. I'm up for drafting a DT rounds two and onwards as well.
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                Again, we will draft for the OL, or any position on the D. Period. The idea that DT is off the table is ridiculous. We won't take a WR or any skill position til much later. But if the best player available is a DT we are taking them. That's the way it works.
                I'm willing to place a bet that that's NOT the way it works.
                -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TigerJ
                  I disagree completely. Tripplett and McCargo are three technique or under tackle DTs. Kyle Williams and Tim Anderson are one technique DTs. Tim Anderson is useless, and Kyle Williams is an overachieving 5th round draft pick with limited upside. Jason Jefferson is a warm body for emergencies. That he played at the end of the season is testimony to how bad the situation is at the one technique position. So is the fact that the Bills are actually considering converting McCargo to a one technique position. Tripplett is not a world beater by any means, but his spot is not what the Bills are worried about.

If the Bills can pick up a good one technique DT early in the draft, they will do so. It may not be round one, but that is more due to what's available than what they need. Alan Branch may not have the quickness to play the Tampa 2 and Amobi Okoye may not have the body mass. If he can add some muscle mass and come to the combine somewhere above 300 lbs, and continue to get bigger before the draft, Buffalo will certainly consider him. If not, they will consider Justin Harrell, Demarcus Tyler, Brandon Mebane, and Kareem Brown in the second and third rounds. The other problem with Branch and Okoye is that it's conceivable that both will be gone by the time the Bills pick at # 12
                  From what I've heard, Okoye has lost 20 pounds or so since the end of the season, as he has been trying to slim down, as has Branch, but Branch is still big.

Comment

• Bmax
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                    From what I've heard, Okoye has lost 20 pounds or so since the end of the season, as he has been trying to slim down, as has Branch, but Branch is still big.

He lost 20 LBS from last season.. He wanted to be quicker this year.....from 312 to 287....But after talking with NFL scouts at the senior bowl he agreed he needed to put some weight back on before the combine and draft... So expect him to weigh about 295 at the combine and be around 300 or better before the draft.....

Bmax

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                      He can also play DE. Don't forget that. Versitility will make him uber attractive.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

I think we go LB at #12. If that is too early to draft one, we can definetly get one in Rd2. With the 12th pick, if Dwaybe Jarrett or Ted Ginn are there, I think it will be hard to pass on them both.

I do not want to draft another CB. We can get a servicable one through FA if we can't re-sign Clements

Outside of Joe Thomas, we aren't going O-line, besides, he will be a top 5 pick anyways.

I doubt we draft a DE opposite of Schobel, but I wouldn't put it past OBD. I think we should re-sign Kelsay and keep some continuity there.

DT... we may go here for a lot of reason mentioned in previous posts. Tim Anderson should be gone and we could be looking to replace him, but I seriously doubt we will draft one at #12 unless they don't think Tripplet is the answer.

But considering where we draft, who is on the board, and what we do in FA, it's way to early to know what we will do on draft day. I think a lot depends in whether ot not we re-sign Clements, which I doubt we will do. But if we did, it makes it that much easier to draft a LB or a WR instead of Leon Hall.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

We definitely need help in the middle of our D, at both MLB and DT. I think, assuming Fletcher leaves, that our greater need is at LB. We also need one more DT, however, even if Triplett improves, Williams continues to develop, and McCargo plays like a first rounder.

I think it comes down to whom is available at 12. And if there isn't a DT or LB worthy of that pick, we go WR or even RB.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            We definitely need help in the middle of our D, at both MLB and DT. I think, assuming Fletcher leaves, that our greater need is at LB. We also need one more DT, however, even if Triplett improves, Williams continues to develop, and McCargo plays like a first rounder.

I think it comes down to whom is available at 12. And if there isn't a DT or LB worthy of that pick, we go WR or even RB.
                            That pretty much sums it up.

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

I really hope we go after Patrick Willis. I think he can be a beast in the middle for years to come. And with Crowell and the Spikes/Ellison duo, we should be better good to go at LB.

Comment

Working...
                              X