PDA

View Full Version : After round 1....

Devin
02-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Obviously this is pure fantasy as no one knows til draft day whats going to happen. And everyone has an opinion. While its my belief we need 3 of our first 4 picks AT LEAST to be defensive players that likely wont happen.

Marv has almost always been a "Best Player Available" type of guy. So if certain players drop this is likely a non issue. But anyway for fun, below are a few possibilities id like to see for our 2nd pick.

With the assumption we draft Willis in round 1, we at least on paper have the big attacking MLB we need for this D, we have Crowell alongside him and TKO on the otherside. We have the two youngsters at S, and Mcgee locked up for a few seasons. Now on the DL Schobel of course is always reliable as a pass rusher, and while hes locked up another few seasons he aint getting any younger. The pair of rookie DT's are almost an unknown right now.

Unless some player takes a horrendous tumble down and is available below are a few options id like to see us take. Since our primary need is help against the run, I had to resist the urge to take guys like Jarvis Moss, Victor Abiamiri and the like who are essentially the same type DE's as Schobel. The biggest problem is most of this years DE draft class are pass rushers, and after the 3-4 1st round DE's the talent drop off is significant. Honestly in round 2 assuming the big 4 go in round 1 (Anderson, Carriker, Johnson and Adams) DE in round is probably not likely. In fact its probably better then average we would go to offense.

Anyway some DL guys to keep in mind for the 2nd or 3rd rounds:

Tim Crowder, DE Texas 6-4 270lbs (NFL Comparison: Mike Rucker)
Upside:
Good size/mass, great technique/fundamentals and has good strength and uses his hands well. Not elite against the run but is pretty good. Holds up well at point of attack. Athletic, has the ability to drop back into coverage.
Has a high motor and is smart player and a hard worker. Overall pretty tough/durable and has played against top competition.
Downside:
Isnt really a "Sack Artist", Doesnt have great speed and his agility/quickness are average. Can be over-aggressive at times and can be inconsistent at times.
Notes:
Big strong player who would be a nice force on the other side of the line. Needs to work on his speed/burst and his ability to shake loose from blocks. While he may will likely never been a pass rush force, he provides a nice balance/big body to the other side.

Ray McDonald, DE Florida 6-3 280lbs (NFL Comparison: Darren Howard)
Upside:
Has excellent size and the frame to get even bigger. Great athlete who is both quick and explosive he is strong and gets a good push. Versatile with experience at both end and tackle, is a good tackler. Able to penetrate and makes plays in the backfield VERY hard worker with top intangibles.
Downside:
He does not have elite speed, tendency to play too high and leverage is an issue at times. Can get knocked back when he lets his technique slip. Is not a solid pass rusher. Missed most of the 2005 season with knee injuries and durability is still a concern.
Notes:
Overall has the size, athleticism you look for at DE. Is strong and a solid tackler. He will need to develop, will need good coaching to get where he needs to be. May actually be a better Cover 2 DT (Larry Triplett).

Demarcus Tyler, DT North Carolina 6-2 305lbs (NFL Comparison Jason Ferguson, Anthony McFarland)
Upside:
Freakishly big and strong. Very good at the point of attack, and has a fearsome mean streak. Is able to penetrate and bullrush into the backfield. Can deliver a blow to blockers and is able to disrupt plays frequently. Is able to break away from blocks well, uses hands very well and makes a lot of plays between tackles. Almost every physical gift a DT can have.
Downside:
Conditioning and stamina have been an issue. Sometimes takes plays off. Speed/burst arent what they could be. Sometimes has a habit of being inconsistent with his leverage. Work ethic has been questioned. Needs work on pass rush technique.
Notes:
With the right discipline this kid could be a force. Once his technique and conditioning are improved he has pro-bowl potential. Has had character issues in the past, may scare Marv away.

Kareem Brown, DT Florida 6-5 315lbs (NFL Comparison: Ryan Pickett, Dewayne Robertson)
Upside:
Huge. Is very quick and VERY strong. Has the ability to collapse a pocket quickly. Holds ground at point of attack, doesnt get moved around much. Good initial burst. Gets decent penetration. Is well balanced against the pass and run.
Downside:
Needs work on his technique, needs to work on his bullrush/pass rush technique especially. Stamina has been an issue. Questionable instincts.
Notes:
This kid at times showed greatness. Not just good I mean GREAT play. Has everything you look for physically, and tons of upside. Didnt start til his senior year but played well in expanded role. Greatly improved player who performed when given a shot, really a boom or bust type pick. Nothing but potential but really needs great coaching at the next level.

gr8slayer
02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I dont see any way we take a DL first day.

Devin
02-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Well it started off as that but then it became a "players to watch after round 1". In the 2nd I dont see us taking a DL unless someone falls. Simply to large of a talent dropoff there and no one that fits our scheme/what we need.

As much as I like Willis it makes more sense to go DL round 1.

Jan Reimers
02-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I dont see any way we take a DL first day.

Maybe a DT. Probably not a DE.

gr8slayer
02-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Well it started off as that but then it became a "players to watch after round 1". In the 2nd I dont see us taking a DL unless someone falls. Simply to large of a talent dropoff there and no one that fits our scheme/what we need.

As much as I like Willis it makes more sense to go DL round 1.
My main reason for being pro-Willis over pro-DL is because we already drafted a DL in the first round last year and we don't even know what he's made of yet. He could be a young Warren Sapp and we don't even know it yet. I think at this point (assuming Fletch is gone) it makes the most sense to draft an LB.

Devin
02-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I dont mean DT I mean DE.

gr8slayer
02-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I dont mean DT I mean DE.
Ah. I'm sorry. DE does make more sense than DT but Denney/Hargrove can fill in fine for the time IMO.

X-Era
02-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Obviously this is pure fantasy as no one knows til draft day whats going to happen. And everyone has an opinion. While its my belief we need 3 of our first 4 picks AT LEAST to be defensive players that likely wont happen.

Marv has almost always been a "Best Player Available" type of guy. So if certain players drop this is likely a non issue. But anyway for fun, below are a few possibilities id like to see for our 2nd pick.

With the assumption we draft Willis in round 1, we at least on paper have the big attacking MLB we need for this D, we have Crowell alongside him and TKO on the otherside. We have the two youngsters at S, and Mcgee locked up for a few seasons. Now on the DL Schobel of course is always reliable as a pass rusher, and while hes locked up another few seasons he aint getting any younger. The pair of rookie DT's are almost an unknown right now.

Unless some player takes a horrendous tumble down and is available below are a few options id like to see us take. Since our primary need is help against the run, I had to resist the urge to take guys like Jarvis Moss, Victor Abiamiri and the like who are essentially the same type DE's as Schobel. The biggest problem is most of this years DE draft class are pass rushers, and after the 3-4 1st round DE's the talent drop off is significant. Honestly in round 2 assuming the big 4 go in round 1 (Anderson, Carriker, Johnson and Adams) DE in round is probably not likely. In fact its probably better then average we would go to offense.

Upside:
Good size/mass, great technique/fundamentals and has good strength and uses his hands well. Not elite against the run but is pretty good. Holds up well at point of attack. Athletic, has the ability to drop back into coverage.
Has a high motor and is smart player and a hard worker. Overall pretty tough/durable and has played against top competition.
Downside:
Isnt really a "Sack Artist", Doesnt have great speed and his agility/quickness are average. Can be over-aggressive at times and can be inconsistent at times.
Notes:
Big strong player who would be a nice force on the other side of the line. Needs to work on his speed/burst and his ability to shake loose from blocks. While he may will likely never been a pass rush force, he provides a nice balance/big body to the other side.

Upside:
Has excellent size and the frame to get even bigger. Great athlete who is both quick and explosive he is strong and gets a good push. Versatile with experience at both end and tackle, is a good tackler. Able to penetrate and makes plays in the backfield VERY hard worker with top intangibles.
Downside:
He does not have elite speed, tendency to play too high and leverage is an issue at times. Can get knocked back when he lets his technique slip. Is not a solid pass rusher. Missed most of the 2005 season with knee injuries and durability is still a concern.
Notes:
Overall has the size, athleticism you look for at DE. Is strong and a solid tackler. He will need to develop, will need good coaching to get where he needs to be. May actually be a better Cover 2 DT (Larry Triplett).

Demarcus Tyler, DT North Carolina 6-2 305lbs (NFL Comparison Jason Ferguson, Anthony McFarland)
Upside:
Freakishly big and strong. Very good at the point of attack, and has a fearsome mean streak. Is able to penetrate and bullrush into the backfield. Can deliver a blow to blockers and is able to disrupt plays frequently. Is able to break away from blocks well, uses hands very well and makes a lot of plays between tackles. Almost every physical gift a DT can have.
Downside:
Conditioning and stamina have been an issue. Sometimes takes plays off. Speed/burst arent what they could be. Sometimes has a habit of being inconsistent with his leverage. Work ethic has been questioned. Needs work on pass rush technique.
Notes:
With the right discipline this kid could be a force. Once his technique and conditioning are improved he has pro-bowl potential. Has had character issues in the past, may scare Marv away.

Kareem Brown, DT Florida 6-5 315lbs (NFL Comparison: Ryan Pickett, Dewayne Robertson)
Upside:
Huge. Is very quick and VERY strong. Has the ability to collapse a pocket quickly. Holds ground at point of attack, doesnt get moved around much. Good initial burst. Gets decent penetration. Is well balanced against the pass and run.
Downside:
Needs work on his technique, needs to work on his bullrush/pass rush technique especially. Stamina has been an issue. Questionable instincts.
Notes:
This kid at times showed greatness. Not just good I mean GREAT play. Has everything you look for physically, and tons of upside. Didnt start til his senior year but played well in expanded role. Greatly improved player who performed when given a shot, really a boom or bust type pick. Nothing but potential but really needs great coaching at the next level.

Tank Tyler is a great looking DT, I think he should be the 3rd DT taken but he wont be. He would be perfect as a faster version of Ted Washington.

jamesiscool
02-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Maybe a DT. Probably not a DE.

why wouldn't we take a DE on day 1? what if kelsay walks , which is a very good possibility. now we have 2 DE's under contract and only one who can consistently rush the passer which is exactly what this defense needs. Two pass rushing DE's.

James

jamze132
02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Patrick Willis should be the pick.

oak tree 12
02-21-2007, 07:51 AM

Upside:
Downside:
Notes:

Upside:
Downside:
Notes:

Upside:
Downside:
Notes:

Upside:
Downside:
Notes:

if were going to get willis in the first we better be trading down,no way @ 12.
in the second i hope somehow grubbs or blalock slides to us,although i can only see it happening in my dreams,i believe they will both be long gone!

DraftBoy
02-21-2007, 07:51 AM
I dont how we can justify taking a DT (to be our 4th in the rotation) and not take a DE (who could be our starter) that makes no sense. Personally Im not contempt with the mediocrity on the left side of our line, and I dont think anybody else should be either.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
I do not know why we don't consider BPA in round 1........the only exceptions being QB, K, and P :shakeno:

DraftBoy
02-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I do not know why we don't consider BPA in round 1........the only exceptions being QB, K, and P :shakeno:

and S

Night Train
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I bet we see a DE selected on Day 1.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
and S

:up:

Night Train
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Ah. I'm sorry. DE does make more sense than DT but Denney/Hargrove can fill in fine for the time IMO.

They could but let's upgrade instead and do something about that run D. It's not just MLB and a rotational DT causing this.