PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher wants to stay?

Italian Stallion
02-21-2007, 08:36 AM
:wtf:

Wednesday February 21, 2007

Fletcher Wants To Stay: London Fletcher was on Sirius NFL radio yesterday and expresses his desire to stay in Buffalo. He said the team is really on the right track with some solid young players and they are heading in the right direction. Fletcher said his agent Drew Rosenhaus and the Bills will have some discussion during the combine and try to get something done before the start of free agency. This contradicts a bit the statements made by Marv Levy who said last week that the team needs more aggressive linebackers, not the kind that makes tackles behind the play. Fletcher said after the season ended that he will make this decision based on his family as it is his last big contract.

Was Marv saying we need attacking LB's just trying to drive down Fletchers price?

Kinda sounds that way now, especially if they're gonna talk at the combine starting today.

What are acceptable #'s for his contract, and do we even want him back now?

:feedback:

Mr. Miyagi
02-21-2007, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't want to break the bank for Fletch, but for a fair price I would like to have him back, if nothing else just to be a veteran leader.

BillsNick
02-21-2007, 08:41 AM
I love Fletcher. Having said that, I do agree we need an attacking middle linebacker. If we keep Fletch, that will set the stage for a LB on day one of the draft.

OpIv37
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
I think we need a younger guy who's more of a playmaker.

That being said, we could also do a lot worse than Fletch.

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Id like to keep Fletch if possible because at WORST he's certainly better than any rookie LB we'd draft or bargain-basement FA we'd sign.
Fletcher is a very underated player, and he's a warrior. and most importantly, put better DT's who can actually tie a blocker up in front of him and I'd bet he'd have more tackles behind the line and things like that.
He's not the best MLB in the league, but he's very good and certainly better than anybody who would take his spot, at least for 2007.. You have to have some sort of vet leadership on defense.

The King
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I think a 7MILL 3 year deal would be a good buy for Fletch.

RockStar36
02-21-2007, 09:12 AM
I suppose if the price is right and he wants to stay, it couldn't hurt. I was under the impression that he wanted out after the season was over.

Night Train
02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
We are terrible against the run,blocking and other team areas....yet there are many posters who wish to bring back Fletch, Gandy, Kelsay etc. and basically stay in park.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 09:29 AM
I bet his agent's "feelers" came back with numbers much lower than he expected. This puts him back into the Bills' price range.........

Personally........it's time to move on. I saw more impact plays made by Ellison than I did from Fletcher

ublinkwescore
02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
We are terrible against the run,blocking and other team areas....yet there are many posters who wish to bring back Fletch, Gandy, Kelsay etc. and basically stay in park.

Sometimes, Continuity can go a lot further than you give it credit for.

that being said, I'm on the fence about it - do I think Fletcher would be better with better DTs in front of him - absolutely - do I think those DTs are on this roster? I haven't the slightest - I hope McCargo turns into what Levy saw this season when he drafted him last april - but that remains to be seen.

if we keep Fletcher, then maybe we need to think about making a major trade (like a first rounder for someone or a first and some camp fodder if necessary) for a great DT that we're missing and make sure he's here before training camp and OTAs.

ublinkwescore
02-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I bet his agent's "feelers" came back with numbers much lower than he expected. This puts him back into the Bills' price range.........

I saw more impact plays made by Ellison than I did from Fletcher

What the hell are you smoking?

maybe for the amount of time Ellison was actually in games, but not overall.

The King
02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Keeping Fletcher allows us to develop whoever his eventual replacement is. Whether we aquire him this year or next. Not too mention, Fletch's worth ethic and character its a great benefit to our young defense to be playing with a guy like London.

G. Host
02-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I think Rosenhaus told his client that he needs some good pubicity after he stormed out at end of season.

Fletcher appears to be a player the Bills want but do not want. They want him for his veteran leadership and no stop hustle but want different plays out of him. Fletcher is a good player to have as reserve but it all comes down to being very careful and conservative in contract because of his new agent.

OpIv37
02-21-2007, 09:40 AM

we definitely need to improve the run D, but there may not be a whole lot of other options. Fletcher is one of many people on this roster who could be uprgraded- difficult decisions will have to be made.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
What the hell are you smoking?

maybe for the amount of time Ellison was actually in games, but not overall.

Making a tackle 5 yds downfield on 3rd and 4 is NOT an impact play

RockStar36
02-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Picking up a fumble and intercepting a pass and returning it for a touchdown IS an impact play.

gr8slayer
02-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Hell if he wants to come back bring him back. He still has a few good years in him.

RockStar36
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I was against bringing him back for multiple reasons, but if he is willing to take a "hometown discount" and wants to be in Buffalo I'm all for it. A big selling point for me is when the player really just wants to be in Buffalo.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Picking up a fumble and intercepting a pass and returning it for a touchdown IS an impact play.

I do not disagree, but a MLB needs to make plays BEHIND the line of scrimmage

alohabillsfan
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
He is worth more than what we are paying Spikes!

Dr. Lecter
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM

A defensive TD does end up behind the line of scrimmage. :D

RockStar36
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Agreed. It's one of the reasons I wasn't to worried or upset of him leaving. But like I said, a huge selling point for me is when the player wants to be in Buffalo. I think that means alot and if we can get him cheap and groom a 2nd-4th round pick behind him that would be great. Then again, wasn't it already mentioned that Crowell was taking over MLB? If that's the case it looks like London won't be here anyways. I think he hurt himself with his attitude right at the end of the season.

gr8slayer
02-21-2007, 10:38 AM
He was better than TKO this year.

clumping platelets
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
A defensive TD does end up behind the line of scrimmage. :D

You are sooooooo smart :wink:

G. Host
02-21-2007, 10:52 AM

Line needs to open the holes so the MLB can do it.

DraftBoy
02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
Line needs to open the holes so the MLB can do it.

MLB has to learn to shed blocks, the line cannot do everything for him

Devin
02-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I have mixed feelings about it. Fletch is one of my fav players, and it would allow us to go DL first and LB second. Drafting a kid like Siler would give him a year to learn.

But Fletch simply doesnt fit our system.

Id be happy either way I guess.

Romes
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I'd be much happier with a guy like Willis, Siler, or Puoloszkiniqhwki.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I was against bringing him back for multiple reasons, but if he is willing to take a "hometown discount" and wants to be in Buffalo I'm all for it. A big selling point for me is when the player really just wants to be in Buffalo.

I'm OK bringing him back at a good price--if he goes there's a big hole at a very important position, and one that I don't think we'll be able to fill through free agency. Hate to count on a rookie, especially when the better LBs in this draft seem to be OLBs (except Willis).

There's always the chance that better production by the front four will allow London to make more plays near the line of scrimmage.

And like you say Rockstar, you've got to feel good about the guys who like the organization and want to be Bills.

Bottom line is that if we bring Fletcher back, it leaves us in a much better position to take the best defensive lineman available at 12, and then hope that Posluszny or one of the other OLBs falls into the 2nd round.

Grab a RG and CB in FA, another OL in Rd. 3-4. and we'd be in pretty good shape.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I think he hurt himself with his attitude right at the end of the season.

I don't think so. He suited up and played hard to the final whistle, and didn't say a thing until the season was over. Once the season was over his contract was up--can you blame him for complaining then? At that point he didn't owe the Bills anything.

patmoran2006
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Whether they sign Fletch or not, I think they are going DL in round one of the draft..

Either Okoye at DT, or Johnson/Carriker at DE.

This team has other needs though.. SO I dont see how anyone could be pissed if we took Patrick Willis to play MLB or even Levi Brown at OT.. Pennington played decent last year but I find it hard to believe our FO is ready to just give him the starting RT spot this year.

raphael120
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
we have so many holes to fill with young players, why not let go of another one, i mean, we're going to have a hole there sooner or later, is it better to draft someone and give him a year to learn on the sidelines, behind fletch, or throw him ni the fire like our safeties and let them shine, and coming next year, we're that much better. we have a young team, and it's only going to get younger this year, and i think thats a good thing.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Sometimes, even with a player who has been a warrior and a team leader - think back to Daryl Talley and others - it is simply time to move on. It's not easy, because Fletch has been a really good Bill, but I don't think we are going to get better against the run with him at MLB.

DraftBoy
02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Id give Fletch a year deal to give us some depth and give him another year to prove he's still got it to other teams, and Id draft Siler from Florida (see the sig) and plug him in next year.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Whether they sign Fletch or not, I think they are going DL in round one of the draft..

Either Okoye at DT, or Johnson/Carriker at DE.

This team has other needs though.. SO I dont see how anyone could be pissed if we took Patrick Willis to play MLB or even Levi Brown at OT.. Pennington played decent last year but I find it hard to believe our FO is ready to just give him the starting RT spot this year.

My thoughts EXACTLY. so exactly that I'm using the all-capital font style that you so frequently employ.

If the draft were today, I wouldn't complain a bit if we took Okoye, Carriker, Willis, Johnson or Brown at #12. Any of those players would provide great value at positions that we need to address. And at least one of them will definately be there for our pick.

HHURRICANE
02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Sometimes, even with a player who has been a warrior and a team leader - think back to Daryl Talley and others - it is simply time to move on. It's not easy, because Fletch has been a really good Bill, but I don't think we are going to get better against the run with him at MLB.

Rosenahus has already shopped his ass and told him to try and stay in Buffalo. I wouldn't resign Fletcher because he is the reason we are dealing with Rosenjerk in the first place.

TigerJ
02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know if it was Ingtar or another person with a lot of credibility on football issues said he thought the primary problem with run defense was with the interior of the defensive line. If that is the case, Fletcher-Baker might be worth re-signing to a reasonable contract. I agree with BillsNick, that along with Fletcher, Buffalo needs a promising young MLB who can be groomed to take his place, and who would get an increasing amount of playing time as the season progresses. He wouldn't necessarily have to be a first rounder though, say Desmond Bishop or Anthony Waters in the third. I don't think I'd want to sign Fletcher to a long term deal.

Billsrock4life
02-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Sometimes, Continuity can go a lot further than you give it credit for.

that being said, I'm on the fence about it - do I think Fletcher would be better with better DTs in front of him - absolutely - do I think those DTs are on this roster? I haven't the slightest - I hope McCargo turns into what Levy saw this season when he drafted him last april - but that remains to be seen.

if we keep Fletcher, then maybe we need to think about making a major trade (like a first rounder for someone or a first and some camp fodder if necessary) for a great DT that we're missing and make sure he's here before training camp and OTAs.
Any LB will be better with good DTs in front of him....thats half of what makes good LBs, a good DL..........About Fletcher returning im all for it hes a good MLB even at his age a leader. Resign him and focus on drafting/signing a CB, or DT and possibly OL.

HHURRICANE
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know if it was Ingtar or another person with a lot of credibility on football issues said he thought the primary problem with run defense was with the interior of the defensive line. If that is the case, Fletcher-Baker might be worth re-signing to a reasonable contract. I agree with BillsNick, that along with Fletcher, Buffalo needs a promising young MLB who can be groomed to take his place, and who would get an increasing amount of playing time as the season progresses. He wouldn't necessarily have to be a first rounder though, say Desmond Bishop or Anthony Waters in the third. I don't think I'd want to sign Fletcher to a long term deal.

There is no doubt that any body who plays Fletcher's position isn't going to get alot of tackles behind the line. That's not how the position is played in the first place. The problem that I've had with Fletcher is that for every great play he makes he makes 3 or 4 where he is late and the guy is past the marker. It seems like every time it's 3rd and 3 for our opponant I have to pray that the RB is going to trip for us to stop them.

evol4276
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
i would like to keep him just for the leadership role. also use him as a troy vincent kinda deal as a mentor of some sort. he seems like the kind for that. I have loved fletch for the past few years and id hate seeing him go, but i dont wanna resign him for a boatload of money. i agree we need to pick up another lb somewhere in the draft

cablesabres68
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
the extra yard or 2 is because fletcher is the first thing blocked if you remember back to 2005 when the ravens didn't have a good DT Ray Lew couldn't get out of his own way well look what happened this year he was free to make 164 tackles the most on the ravens and 5 sacks which was 5th on the ravens. now remember when fletch just had pat williams to get a chip on the guy that was blocking fletcher? he just read the guy that was blocking him and found the running back and made plays he had 147 tacles in 02 leading the team

jamze132
02-22-2007, 06:40 AM
I don't think Fletcher will sign with anyone for just one year. If that is all he can get, then maybe.

I am on the fence with this as well. I would love to get a guy like Patrick Willis in here, and if we did, I wouldn't want to have him sit on the sidelines while Fletcher is out there. He would really be under a lot of pressure, epsecially from the fans.

Having said that, I think Patrick Willis would have more of an immediate impact than anyone we could bring in or draft for the D-line.

njsue
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I hope he does remain a bill. He is a great defensive leader.

Michael82
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm still not sure what I want. He's not a good fit for this defense, BUT his leadership will be missed big time on the team. I don't know who will take over.

Luisito23
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Give me Willis over Fletch any day, time, and hour of the week!.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!